PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S7 vs S7 Active

AlpineKevin
02-19-2017, 00:47
Is a S7 Active really needed over the S7? The main reinforcement is on the back which is already a fairly strong bezel. Yet it is a bigger and an ounce heavier.

Engine
02-19-2017, 05:41
Is a S7 Active really needed over the S7? The main reinforcement is on the back which is already a fairly strong bezel. Yet it is a bigger and an ounce heavier. Marketing hype. I imagine every brand and model of cell phone has been used successfully on a long hike at one time or another, some just may me more sensitive to moisture and impact than others.

Alligator
02-19-2017, 17:52
If by chance you are also considering the S7 edge, I don't recommend it for hiking. Hard to find a protective case with ano integrated sealable screen protector. I haven't found one with a good fit yet.

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2017, 19:06
I remember reading an article about water submersion test on these phones. The Active failed while the other two S7 models weathered the simulated 5 foot immersion test. http://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s7-active-fails-consumer-reports-water-resistance-test/
I would imagine Samsung has fixed this issue, but I would make doubly sure before choosing it over either the regular S7 or Edge. I have a regular which is usually in an Otterbox anyway, and have had no issues with it.

CalebJ
02-19-2017, 20:25
The Active versions made sense when the S4 and S6 were the flagship phones and not waterproof. The 5 and now the 7 do everything you really need for backpacking use IMO.

cmoulder
02-20-2017, 08:51
The S5 batteries are easily to swap out. BIG consideration. Very handy to carry 1 or 2 spare batteries vs a stand-alone recharge setup.

And get the biggest memory card you can cram in there.

Rain Man
02-20-2017, 10:41
I have the same problem as Alligator. I have an S5 Sport, the water "proof" version of the S5. NEVER found a bricks & mortar store that could sell me a protective case. Though, I finally bought a regular case and couldn't tell ANY difference. What the heck?!!! Then horrors,-- cracked the screen. Local shop wanted MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE PHONE, to repair my "specialty" screen, though once again, I could see NO DIFFERENCE.

One more thing I learned when looking at water "proof" cameras. The water "proof" guarantee is only for 12 months. After that, you're supposed to replace the water "proof" seal, which (YOU GUESS IT) costs about the same as the original camera!!! It's in the corporation's fine print.

IMHO, it's some sort of marketing scam like car dealers that make more money from their brand name repair shop sometimes, than from the car sales themselves.

If by chance you are also considering the S7 edge, I don't recommend it for hiking. Hard to find a protective case with ano integrated sealable screen protector. I haven't found one with a good fit yet.

AlpineKevin
02-21-2017, 00:20
Sounds like the slightly smaller and ounce less S7 is the way to go (was never considering the gimmicky Edge).... Although I forgot to point out that while the Active is an ounce heavier and I think it is mostly due to the battery being a THIRD bigger. 3,000 units vs 4,000 on the Active..... (Btw the S8 is coming out next month but I'm hearing a mandatory curved screen like the Edge, no head phone jack, and a huge ass finger print reader on the back. None of those things appeal to me).

CalebJ
02-21-2017, 10:00
I didn't realize the battery was larger on the S7 Active. That's certainly one small point in its favor.

Honestly, if I was going on a long trip and carrying a phone, I might consider something purely for that purpose and leave the nice phone at home. You can pick up a very good phone like the Moto G4 Plus online for $200-250. Use it for the trip and sell it when you're done. Much safer than risking replacement on one of the really expensive models like an S7.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-10-2017, 00:27
Looking at the S7A myself, partially for the battery, but also for the camera. (I can't afford a Pixel).

Rex Clifton
03-10-2017, 13:37
Neither, I hate TouchWiz like the cancer. Get an iPhone or a Nexus phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bamboo bob
03-10-2017, 18:20
My Galaxy S7 was fully submerged on the CDT in Colorado. Effing cold water. My wife stumbled on a stream crossing so I had no time to worry about my phone. I plunged in. My hat wahsed away. My phone spent maybe two minutes under. It was fine after drying out. It was off at the time.

devoidapop
03-10-2017, 18:52
My Galaxy S7 was fully submerged on the CDT in Colorado. Effing cold water. My wife stumbled on a stream crossing so I had no time to worry about my phone. I plunged in. My hat wahsed away. My phone spent maybe two minutes under. It was fine after drying out. It was off at the time.

I keep my s7 in my pocket while I'm in the pool with my kids, so I can take pics. Never had a problem other than the speaker quality suffering until it fully dries.