PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile Wilderness to Katadin

Flying Eagle
01-23-2006, 14:04
In my attempt to cover the whole trail by sections over 20 years, I am next looking at the 100 mile Wilderness to Katadin. Originally this was to be the last section, but other circumstances moved it up in rotation. I'm familiar with the general area from reading journals and some threads on this web site but am looking for opinions on the best/worse/it doesn't really matter time of year to traverse this section. In my other hikes I have averaged 12-15 miles per day. I will be traveling with my brother and 3 sons.

Thanks for replys,

Flying Eagle

Sly
01-23-2006, 14:09
I've only hiked it in late September, which is an awesome time with the leaves changing and no bugs to speak of.

Ender
01-23-2006, 14:13
I've only hiked it in late September, which is an awesome time with the leaves changing and no bugs to speak of.

Ditto on September. Fantastic time for many reasons. In addition to what Sly already mentioned (which he's 100% on) is also that the stream crossings are much easier later in the fall than during the spring or summer. Humidity is way down too. Just the perfect time to be up there.

attroll
01-23-2006, 14:18
Yes September would be the best time to do it. You will have passed by bug season and it will be a very enjoyable hike.

Squeaky 2
01-23-2006, 14:25
stream crossings are much easier later in the fall than during the spring or summer??????

do not under estimate the stream crossings at any time of the year. last year i was in the 100 W on the back of maines record oct. rainfall. streams that were merely a rock hop in the summer of 03 were grade3 rapids........ and i am not exaggerating at all. most of the 100 miles was under water and bog gridges were floating around my waste! keep a close eye on rainfall but bar any freaky weather take slys advice and hike when the leaves are changing.

Ender
01-23-2006, 14:37
stream crossings are much easier later in the fall than during the spring or summer??????

do not under estimate the stream crossings at any time of the year. last year i was in the 100 W on the back of maines record oct. rainfall. streams that were merely a rock hop in the summer of 03 were grade3 rapids........ and i am not exaggerating at all. most of the 100 miles was under water and bog gridges were floating around my waste! keep a close eye on rainfall but bar any freaky weather take slys advice and hike when the leaves are changing.

OK, except for 2003's record rainfall anomoly, stream crossings are easier in fall than in spring. Of course record rainfalls are going to affect the difficulty of crossings, but historically I'd say that yes, fall is easier, because it's usually a much drier season.

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2006, 14:37
In my other hikes I have averaged 12-15 miles per day. I will be traveling with my brother and 3 sons.

What kind of miles do they average? Are you including Katahdin? Which direction are you thinking about (a nobo allows you to stay at the Birches)? You know there's no maildrops at Whitehouse Landing anymore? September is the common answer for 'best' hiking, but it's Maine. Could be drought. Could have snow. Could have hurricane leavings. Go anyways.

peakbagger
01-24-2006, 13:40
A few comments

Weather - September can have highly variable weather from the 80's to below freezing. Usually the rain holds off until the last week in Sept, but once it starts it usually moves in for awhile. It can and will snow in late September but usually it will melt quickly.

Traffic - The trail is very busy the weeks on either side of Labor day weekend. The thruhiker traffic is pretty steady for the entire month. Dont plan on getting a place in a shelter every night and some of the shelter sites have very limited camping space.

The hike north from Monson to the east side of White Cap, tends to chew up section hikers as there are a lot of steep ups and downs that feel a bit harder as the hikers have loaded packs. The payoff of hiking towards Katahdin is great, but if you arent in shape, doing this section southbound is "easier" as the first few days are fairly flat.

There are bail out points almost every day along this section but be aware that the hitches can be real long.

The local critters are just as smart at seperating your food from your pack as any where else on the trail.

Take the side trip to Gulf Hagas

Moxie00
01-24-2006, 14:06
September, but the foliage is incredable the first week in October--colored leaves and deep snow are a beautiful thing, I know, I've been there.