PDA

View Full Version : In order to plan a faster more efficient July thru...what sections seem to be easier

saltysack
02-20-2017, 10:51
Hoping to set up 4 food resupply boxes to keep weight down. What sections tend to be easier miles in general? Shooting for 21-22 day hike. Needing to do an avg around 21 mpd obviously some harder sections will be less and others more....thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearcreek
02-20-2017, 14:25
You really don't have a whole lot of choices. The towns are few and far between. I would say Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida and Lake City for resupply. The CT doesn't have very many easy segments. If I were rating them, I'd say that Segments 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 18 are easier than the rest.

You might find Yogi's guide for the CT very helpful in figuring out the resupply logistics.

jupiterkn
02-20-2017, 14:44
I saw a YouTube video of a couple who added Bailey as their first resupply which I will be taking advantage of since it is at 40 miles out

DuneElliot
02-20-2017, 14:45
Looking at Mags' guide it would seem that the Monarch Crest store/lodge would be a good one instead of Salida...it's right on the trail so no having to hitch into town and waste time and hiking miles.

saltysack
02-20-2017, 15:35
Yea resupply wise had kind of thought I'd do Breck, TL, Monarch in case didn't have time to go into Salida and LC.....

Venchka
02-20-2017, 16:19
Yea resupply wise had kind of thought I'd do Breck, TL, Monarch in case didn't have time to go into Salida and LC.....

Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
Right. If you're a greyhound. Grinning.
Never mind. Back to the drawing board.
Wayne

bearcreek
02-20-2017, 16:57
Twin Lakes to Monarch on the Collegiate West trail is feasible without resupply?
Wayne

It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.

saltysack
02-20-2017, 17:08
Wayne

Yep was a ball buster did it in lil over 3.5 days on the loop....I did a food cache last year Y CP but was not there when I arrived so hitched into BV for resupply. Next time I'll carry 4 days worth...too much time waisted hitching etc.....

saltysack
02-20-2017, 17:09
It is 78 miles on some of the newest as best tread on the CT. It goes high but is not particularly difficult. Probably 4 - 5 days.

WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

Malto
02-20-2017, 18:33
My tentative list:
1) Copper Mountain 119
2) Twin Lakes 177
3) Monarch (doing west route) 261
4) Molas Campground. 409

resupply 4 is my only question mark. It would be a 5 day carry which is at the upper end of my desire. But it is too convenient to pass up.

hikeandbike5
02-20-2017, 20:01
i'd do:
-frisco
-twin lakes
-monarch crest / salida
-lake city
-silverton possibly but you're real close to the end at this point

both lake city and salida are far from the trail, so you'll burn a couple hours getting to/from the trail. also i wouldn't plan on spending the night at any hostels.

saltysack
02-20-2017, 20:20
My tentative list:
1) Copper Mountain 119
2) Twin Lakes 177
4) Molas Campground. 409

resupply 4 is my only question mark. It would be a 5 day carry which is at the upper end of my desire. But it is too convenient to pass up.

Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? I know it's hard to pass up a good meal and a shower so if I can get my mpd to have it logistically work I'd like to hit 1 or 2 hostel stays i.e. Breck and possibly a Salida if it's during the week and can get a guaranteed early ride back to MP i.e. Chaffee shuttle.

colorado_rob
02-20-2017, 21:23
Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? I know it's hard to pass up a good meal and a shower so if I can get my mpd to have it logistically work I'd like to hit 1 or 2 hostel stays i.e. Breck and possibly a Salida if it's during the week and can get a guaranteed early ride back to MP i.e. Chaffee shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't know Malto's reasoning, but if you want to keep the resupply points to 4, get past breck to copper for your first one. I'm 20 years older and I've done Waterton to Kenosha in 3 days twice now, even 24 mile days, easy peasy walking most of the way. If you're a little short and stop near end of section 5, that's fine, but keep eye out on water for this camp. Then 2 easy days for section 6 and another day for 7, voila, you're at Copper the afternoon of day 6, pig out at a ski-area restaurant, and you're ready for resupply.

I concur with Malto's 4-stop list as being the most efficient, if indeed you're keeping it to 4.

Dogwood
02-20-2017, 22:09
My tentative list:
1) Copper Mountain 119
2) Twin Lakes 177
4) Molas Campground. 409

Curious why copper vs Breck? I'll have to look at Molas seems like a good plan....your on a much faster pace so I assume no hostel stays? ..

This. But it would depend on my direction of travel and in regard to elvation profile which you can find for each CT segment in the CT Trail Guide book or at Postholers CT site. Maybe Bearcreek has this beta offered as well since he's banged out the CT 6X. For example, if Denver bound I would seek to be food empty near the CT Ski hut before the steep descent into Copper Mt. I'd do a buy on the fly oner short day resupply at the nearby gas station near the TH for the lower wt ascent up over the ridge and down to Breck. I'd do a nearby Breck resupply and ride that resupply into Waterton which is an easier piecev of the CT. In and out.

Reverse it if Durango bound. Don't do a huge resupply in Breck. take only a day's chow. Resupply in Frisco and ride that resupply south to your next resupply.

Another example would be not hauling a big food resupply up to Molas Pass if Durango bound and NOT a huge resupply wt descending down Molas and up to the CDT/CT junction.

I wouldn't go into salida or lake City unless shuttles have been previously arranged as they can entail two part hitches.

Leadville can be an in and out resupply added to the mix buying at the grocery store from tennessee pass too.

MuddyWaters
02-20-2017, 22:11
I don't know Malto's reasoning, but if you want to keep the resupply points to 4, get past breck to copper for your first one.

Or.....spend night in breck, day hike to Copper next day..shuttle back, spending second night in breck, then shuttle back out to Copper next morning and continue.

Standard operating procedure

Two nights rest , several good meals, and youll be ready to go. Might short you a few miles if trying to maintain high pace, make it up getting to breck or TL. Getting to breck 1/2 day early dont do no good. Make it full day...4 days...then take the easy slackpack day with 2 nights in breck. Mail resupply to the bivy.

colorado_rob
02-20-2017, 22:24
Guys: from other threads, pretty sure SS is going SWBO, plus he's trying to do it in 21 days. Doubt if he wants to slack or do any sort of shuttling around. Why waste time taking bus into Breck and back, just hike Waterton to Copper, then to Twin Lakes, Monarch, Molas (Malto has it dialed) and git 'er done.

Venchka
02-20-2017, 22:30
WaaaaY better than the east!!!! Loved it!

Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
Wayne

bearcreek
02-20-2017, 22:51
The only problem with resupply at Copper is that there isn't much there. I would do Breckenridge and just stop at Copper for some great restaraunts. You can resupply there, but much more is available in Breckenridge.

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 08:34
The only problem with resupply at Copper is that there isn't much there. I would do Breckenridge and just stop at Copper for some great restaraunts. You can resupply there, but much more is available in Breckenridge.Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.

StubbleJumper
02-21-2017, 10:51
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.

The other consideration is that there's plenty of time during a July day to do 20 or 25 miles (usually my legs are more of a problem than the amount of daylight). There will be at least 14 hours of useful daylight, which, at 2.5 miles per hour, is theoretically adequate for 35 miles. I'd consider taking the bus to Copper, slacking back to Breck, getting a good late lunch, and then taking the bus back to Copper. The bus trips and the lunch would probably consume about 4 hours of daylight, but that would leave at least 10 hours for hiking. And a slack over the Ten-mile range would be a nice change of pace...it could be done easily at 2.5 miles per hour with a slack weight pack.

Just need to get up at the crack of ass, and it's doable.

saltysack
02-21-2017, 11:04
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of assumed one of the Copper base area establishments accepted CT resupply boxes, like one of the restaurants or hotels, but if not, Breck is the place. If I were trying to do the CT in 3 weeks, I just hate wasting time taking bus/shuttles, but in and out of Breck would be pretty quick I suppose, then as you say, the next day stop for a nice afternoon burger/beer at Copper (200 yards from trail) before camping a few miles past.

I guess I was under the assumption it was a quick easy ride to one of the local Breck hostels from Th....could drop lil weight off my food load from Breck to Tl by grabbing lunch\dinner in Copper if is convenient to trail..don't think I'd want to fool with slack packing...think I'd waist too much time but never done so maybe SJ has a good point. As far as day light how much more can you expect mid July vs mid September?

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 11:57
I guess I was under the assumption it was a quick easy ride to one of the local Breck hostels from Th....could drop lil weight off my food load from Breck to Tl by grabbing lunch\dinner in Copper if is convenient to trail..don't think I'd want to fool with slack packing...think I'd waist too much time but never done so maybe SJ has a good point. As far as day light how much more can you expect mid July vs mid September?
Yeah, pretty easy bus ride into breck, no big deal, just takes time, going both ways and doing business in town. But as stub says, plenty of daylight, no worries, do the breck resupply thing.

Yes, restaurants are a couple hundred yards down from the trail when passing by the Copper mtn base, save some food weight and pig out there. Don't head down too soon, wait until you can see a bunch of base area places just down from the trail to your right. IIRC, it's just past a tee box for the golf course, the tee box maybe 50 yards off the trail (you walk by a lot of the golf course before the base area). There are also a bunch of other shops, a Starbucks, etc. No real "groceries" though, but I bet you could buy some energy bars or other snacks here and there. During the summer, mountain biking is the thing at Copper, bikers ride a lift and cruise down a number of trails. You'll see a lot of old snow, like some huge leftover mounds that were the terrain park, even into August.

Funny coincidence, we're heading up to Copper Thursday to ski... which is probably one subconscious reason I preferred copper to breck for a resupply... copper is a way better ski area than breck, obviously having nothing to do with hiking the CT....

saltysack
02-21-2017, 12:05
Yeah, pretty easy bus ride into breck, no big deal, just takes time, going both ways and doing business in town. But as stub says, plenty of daylight, no worries, do the breck resupply thing.

Yes, restaurants are a couple hundred yards down from the trail when passing by the Copper mtn base, save some food weight and pig out there. Don't head down too soon, wait until you can see a bunch of base area places just down from the trail to your right. IIRC, it's just past a tee box for the golf course, the tee box maybe 50 yards off the trail (you walk by a lot of the golf course before the base area). There are also a bunch of other shops, a Starbucks, etc. No real "groceries" though, but I bet you could buy some energy bars or other snacks here and there. During the summer, mountain biking is the thing at Copper, bikers ride a lift and cruise down a number of trails. You'll see a lot of old snow, like some huge leftover mounds that were the terrain park, even into August.

Funny coincidence, we're heading up to Copper Thursday to ski... which is probably one subconscious reason I preferred copper to breck for a resupply... copper is a way better ski area than breck, obviously having nothing to do with hiking the CT....

Any place to mail resupply box in Copper?

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 12:29
Any place to mail resupply box in Copper?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot without some sort of pre-arrangement with a business there, as there is no post office. You could try calling various shops and restaurants, or even one of the high-priced hotels there and just see if they would agree to hold a box. In my original post that seconded Malkto's suggestion for using Copper, I just assumed the CTF had some sort of arrangement with a business for resupply, but I looked and couldn't find any. I guess everyone uses Breckenridge.

Also, I just checked on Google earth... go about 1/3rd of a mile past that close-by tee box for the closest access to the main base area, which is literally 1/10th of a mile down from the trail.

Malto
02-21-2017, 12:33
Not without some sort of pre-arrangement with a business there, as there is no post office. You could try calling various shops and restaurants, or even one of the high-priced hotels there and just see if they would agree to hold a box. In my original post that seconded Malkto's suggestion for using Copper, I just assumed the CTF had some sort of arrangement with a business for resupply, but I looked and couldn't find any. I guess everyone uses Breckenridge.

Also, I just checked on Google earth... go about 1/3rd of a mile past that close-by tee box for the closest access to the main base area, which is literally 1/10th of a mile down from the trail.

I was going to do a quick resupply at Copper. I could make do with just a Starbucks at worst case. It's a short distance to Twin Lakes. I also checked out the store at Monarch Crest and would have no issue with doing a full resupply there. Same for Twin Lakes. I guess I am probably not as picky as some when it comes to getting my calories.

saltysack
02-21-2017, 13:06
I was going to do a quick resupply at Copper. I could make do with just a Starbucks at worst case. It's a short distance to Twin Lakes. I also checked out the store at Monarch Crest and would have no issue with doing a full resupply there. Same for Twin Lakes. I guess I am probably not as picky as some when it comes to getting my calories.

Pretty sure store at TL and monarch hold boxes...I agree about store at monarch had a decent assortment of junk....hiker box was overflowing in September.....not sure about resupply at 4Bucks though.....I love coffee, chocolate covered graham crackers and nuts but would be $$$$$! I'd probably want a shower so if I skipped Breck could hit Leadville hostel just not sure about logistics as last time I was there they weren't doing shuttles....assume the outfitters would though....being on a tight schedule the wasted time concerns me...as my last trip I wasted way too much time trying to get a ride.....

colorado_rob
02-21-2017, 13:23
One other option for Copper, skipping Breck altogether.... See attached photo of a google screen shot. See the CT (yellow line) in the lower right corner, basically a sharp turn in the trail after coming down the long hill from the 10-mile range (above Breck). This is about 1/2 mile before crossing highway 91.

Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

Ignore those building just west of the sharp turn in the CT, those are maintenance and storage buildings.

For reference, further down the trail is shown in the left-lower portion, showing that tee box and main base area.

saltysack
02-21-2017, 13:46
One other option for Copper, skipping Breck altogether.... See attached photo of a google screen shot. See the CT (yellow line) in the lower right corner, basically a sharp turn in the trail after coming down the long hill from the 10-mile range (above Breck). This is about 1/2 mile before crossing highway 91.

Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

Ignore those building just west of the sharp turn in the CT, those are maintenance and storage buildings.

For reference, further down the trail is shown in the left-lower portion, showing that tee box and main base area.

Thx CR definitely make note of that....

DuneElliot
02-21-2017, 15:02
I think Copper has a dude ranch riding place that may take mailed boxes. I can't remember the name of it though...might be worth seeing if they'd take a package. I'm betting they use part of the CT as their riding trails

Venchka
02-21-2017, 22:09
Breck - July
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
Breck - September
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
A couple hours.

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 02:22
This. But it would depend on my direction of travel and in regard to elvation profile which you can find for each CT segment in the CT Trail Guide book or at Postholers CT site. Maybe Bearcreek has this beta offered as well since he's banged out the CT 6X. For example, if Denver bound I would seek to be food empty near the CT Ski hut before the steep descent into Copper Mt. I'd do a buy on the fly oner short day resupply at the nearby gas station near the TH for the lower wt ascent up over the ridge and down to Breck. I'd do a nearby Breck resupply and ride that resupply into Waterton which is an easier piecev of the CT. In and out.

Reverse it if Durango bound. Don't do a huge resupply in Breck. take only a day's chow. Resupply in Frisco and ride that resupply south to your next resupply.

Another example would be not hauling a big food resupply up to Molas Pass if Durango bound and NOT a huge resupply wt descending down Molas and up to the CDT/CT junction.

I wouldn't go into salida or lake City unless shuttles have been previously arranged as they can entail two part hitches.

Leadville can be an in and out resupply added to the mix buying at the grocery store from tennessee pass too.

....Right at that sharp turn, if you go north along a path you can see, it is about 0.6 to 0.7 miles to a well equipped little convenience center that includes a Conoco w/ food store and a subway (I think it's a subway, or other sandwich shop). You could do a reasonable little resupply there, plus eat a big sandwich with the works, for the cost of a 1.2-1.4 mile detour, giving you certainly enough food to get to Twin Lakes (or Leadville). By the way, between this sharp turn and the highway 91 crossing are a couple decent campsites, though with a bit of highway noise. My wife and I used this campsite and the noise was not really a bother. Better campsite though a couple miles beyond the copper base area if that times out.

The Conoco is the store I spoke about several posts back. Seems I'm damned whether I gave details or when I don't.

Guessing I'm talking to myself. :-?

There are places in Copper MT that will hold a box. You may even contact the Conoco NICELY.

Wolf - 23000
02-22-2017, 04:28
saltysack, from your profile it is showing you are located in Florida. I only bring that up because coming from low elevation to the higher elevation is going to take time to adjust even with a light pack. Most hikers used the Official CT Guidebook or the CT app. Both will tell you everything you need to know. It not worth spending any more money on things you don't need.

If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.

Venchka
02-22-2017, 06:25
Yes. Some of us have known that since forever.
Wayne

Confused here. I thought that was the East Coast.
Wayne

saltysack
02-22-2017, 08:17
The Conoco is the store I spoke about several posts back. Seems I'm damned whether I gave details or when I don't.

Guessing I'm talking to myself. :-?

There are places in Copper MT that will hold a box. You may even contact the Conoco NICELY.

saltysack, from your profile it is showing you are located in Florida. I only bring that up because coming from low elevation to the higher elevation is going to take time to adjust even with a light pack. Most hikers used the Official CT Guidebook or the CT app. Both will tell you everything you need to know. It not worth spending any more money on things you don't need.

If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.

Wayne

DW...I'll do some more checking around as it gets closer, again thx for all the helpful info...

Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

saltysack
02-22-2017, 08:18
Wayne

You lost me.....

Wolf - 23000
02-22-2017, 09:00
Wolf...I'm not planning on going any food caches just premailed boxes.. I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. with the boxes I'm just trying to limit wasted time getting into town etc.

Ok, now I'm tracking. Your first option is either Breckridge. Breckridge is a day closer but has a free bus that goes right into town from the trail. One of the stops is also a Supermarket. Cooper Mountain no longer has a Post Office. It about a day out of Breckridge. You can stop there and maybe get a $$ meal and drink but that is about all.

Twin Lakes is a mile off the trail and has limited selection. Many people will send a drop here. When I went through in late July the hiker boxes were over full big time.

Buena Vista and Salida and Gunnison all have supermarket to stock up. I didn't have to go into Gunnison during my thru-hike. It is a long hitch but still an option.

Given a choice between Creede and Lake City. I only drove through Creede. It is a small old mining town with limited stores. Lake City has a hiker trail friend, former thru-hiker name Lucky who gives hikers rides in and out of towns. He picks up and drops off at 1230. He also runs the Lucky at Raven's Rest hostel. You can get by with the two stores in town but you may want to send yourself a package here.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

colorado_rob
02-22-2017, 10:45
... I realize I'll need to acclimate as I'm hoping I'll be good after a few days before getting too high. In the past haven't had altitude issues others than out of breath etc. ... After following your CT hikes last summer, and this time starting in Denver, I don't think you'll have any altitude issues, those first 72 miles follow a good acclimation profile. A lot of people confuse simply having less oxygen to breathe and having the shortness of breath to "altitude sickness" and wig out about it.

saltysack
02-22-2017, 10:47
After following your CT hikes last summer, and this time starting in Denver, I don't think you'll have any altitude issues, those first 72 miles follow a good acclimation profile. A lot of people confuse simply having less oxygen to breathe and having the shortness of breath to "altitude sickness" and wig out about it.

That's what I was thinking....looks like flights get into Denver around 10:30am so could likely start mid day same day...

colorado_rob
02-22-2017, 10:51
That's what I was thinking....looks like flights get into Denver around 10:30am so could likely start mid day same day...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm sure you realize this, but expect Waterton canyon to be hot-hot-hot on any July afternoon... just suffer that 6+ miles, soak your shirt/hat in the platte a few times, then you can cruise easier once up into the trees. Enjoy!

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 11:45
..If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.

This is alluding to an excellent pt. While efficiency of resupply helps make for an efficient less time costly hike it's not the only thing that affects it. Other factors like transferring between AP/public transportation, being ready to hike from the shot, just one more zero or too low a MPD nero, choosing a heavier than needed resupply especially just as you're leaving town to make a huge ascent, waiting out a lighting/fast moving front rain burst, etc can eat up time and easily offset time efficiently of resupply.

If you're planning zeros coincide them with your resupply and in town chore days. For example, if twin lakes is a resupply make it also a nero or zero and mail a package to the Inn or other place that you'd be staying. If salida looks like a good zero or nero staying at Simple Hostel mail your box directly to the hostel while arranging shuttles with them. You might arrange that with Ravens Rest in Lake City also.

saltysack
02-22-2017, 12:22
..If you are in good shape, 21+ miles/day is do able even without the food catches. Food catches are going to take about a day or two to set up and get back to Denver. That is time you could use hiking.

This is alluding to an excellent pt. While efficiency of resupply helps make for an efficient less time costly hike it's not the only thing that affects it. Other factors like transferring between AP/public transportation, being ready to hike from the shot, just one more zero or too low a MPD nero, choosing a heavier than needed resupply especially just as you're leaving town to make a huge ascent, waiting out a lighting/fast moving front rain burst, etc can eat up time and easily offset time efficiently of resupply.

If you're planning zeros coincide them with your resupply and in town chore days. For example, if twin lakes is a resupply make it also a nero or zero and mail a package to the Inn or other place that you'd be staying. If salida looks like a good zero or nero staying at Simple Hostel mail your box directly to the hostel while arranging shuttles with them. You might arrange that with Ravens Rest in Lake City also.

No food cache just plan to mail four to five boxes to predetermined locations...no planned zeros...

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 15:39
Big wt saving tip. Have the energetic JRT find marmots and mice to eat. How about becoming a falconer? Saltysack the sea worthy falconer. Beats a parrot for resupplying on the fly.

DuneElliot
02-22-2017, 15:54
Big wt saving tip. Have the energetic JRT find marmots and mice to eat. How about becoming a falconer? Saltysack the sea worthy falconer. Beats a parrot for resupplying on the fly.

Or could even have Amazon do drone delivery on the trail!!! :eek:

saltysack
02-22-2017, 16:31

[emoji23]did pick up this yesterday....

saltysack
02-23-2017, 15:11
I guess you can't add a video clip anymore...

Venchka
02-23-2017, 17:25
So, do I have this straight?
Collegiate West.
NOBO. 78-80 miles. Food as needed for old and slow Geezers.
Cars at Monarch and Twin Lakes. With permission of course.
Is water ever a problem? Carry a liter. Fill up for camp.
Am I missing anything?
Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop. Warm up before or celebration after.
Sounds like a plan.
Wayne

saltysack
02-23-2017, 17:31
Sounds good to me....even in late September wasn't terrible trying to hitch into BV after cache disappeared....for $10 called Chaffee shuttle for ride from town back to CP...

saltysack
02-23-2017, 17:45
So, do I have this straight?
Collegiate West.
NOBO. 78-80 miles. Food as needed for old and slow Geezers.
Cars at Monarch and Twin Lakes. With permission of course.
Is water ever a problem? Carry a liter. Fill up for camp.
Am I missing anything?
Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop. Warm up before or celebration after.
Sounds like a plan.
Wayne

Or you could park and stay at monarch lodge and do that fun climb up to the divide before heading north on C West...adds 13 miles and could pick up food there so don't carry on day 1...

Venchka
02-23-2017, 17:50
What's the difference between Monarch Crest (Pass?) and store. Or Monarch Lodge? I found a video recently and the group started at what looked like a convenience store.
Wayne

Venchka
02-23-2017, 17:54
Oh. The Lodge is 13 miles downhill from the Crest and store.
You're assuming we can climb 13 miles in a day and find all of our food in the store. Hmmmmm.
Wayne

saltysack
02-23-2017, 19:38
Oh. The Lodge is 13 miles downhill from the Crest and store.
You're assuming we can climb 13 miles in a day and find all of our food in the store. Hmmmmm.
Wayne

U could drop food box off at store before heading out....

Venchka
02-23-2017, 20:30
U could drop food box off at store before heading out....

I told you I was old and slow. Maybe dumb too. Thanks. I might have to make that 13 miles an overnight hike.
Pig out at the store and carry 1 day less food.
3 Forks or 4 Passes for a warmup. Could be a fun summer.
Thanks everyone!

colorado_rob
02-23-2017, 21:29
3 Forks or 4 Passes for a warmup. Could be a fun summer.
If you spend a lot of it in CO, it will be a fun summer! BTW, just in case you didn't know, the 4-pass loop now requires a bear canister.

MuddyWaters
02-23-2017, 22:09
What's the difference between Monarch Crest (Pass?) and store. Or Monarch Lodge? I found a video recently and the group started at what looked like a convenience store.
Wayne

Monarch lodge is about 2mi off trail in garfield

You might sweet talk someone into taking you up to pass if needed. Lodge used to take people into salida.

Great place to stay and zero, mail resupply too if thru hiking instead of hitching to/from salida from the pass. Depends on what u like.

Venchka
02-24-2017, 20:41
Monarch lodge is about 2mi off trail in garfield

You might sweet talk someone into taking you up to pass if needed. Lodge used to take people into salida.

Great place to stay and zero, mail resupply too if thru hiking instead of hitching to/from salida from the pass. Depends on what u like.

I just checked the Geezer rate in August. $82.00. I'm in! Maybe. If I hike the Collegiate West.
The call of Glacier is powerful. The Dark Side beckons.
Wayne

Venchka
02-24-2017, 20:45
If you spend a lot of it in CO, it will be a fun summer! BTW, just in case you didn't know, the 4-pass loop now requires a bear canister.

I have an Ursack. Approved by the IGBA, Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks.
I know. Colorado is different. I'll make a phone call first.
Wayne