PDA

View Full Version : attention all hammock hangers

neo
01-23-2006, 14:50
i just wanted to see how many people here on white blaze consider themself hammock hangers thru and thru,we are talk 4 season hammock
hanging,ya live,breath,and think hammock hanging:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9720&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9725&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6420&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6654&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7868&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7889&c=577

my wife and 2 sons are 4 season hammock hangers also:cool: neo

txulrich
01-23-2006, 16:09
I haven't had mine much below 35 degrees yet. I (with my moms help) just made a new bottom quilt and I'm dyin to get out and try it.

neo
01-23-2006, 16:12
I haven't had mine much below 35 degrees yet. I (with my moms help) just made a new bottom quilt and I'm dyin to get out and try it.

good luck and happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

hammock engineer
01-23-2006, 16:38
I'm not 4 season yet. I only been down into the 40's. I'll be there soon.

Singe03
01-23-2006, 16:44
Heh, I'm a Texan, 4 season here is only down to the 40s..

neo
01-23-2006, 16:45
I'm not 4 season yet. I only been down into the 40's. I'll be there soon.

way to go hammock engineer,keep up the good work,i started out as a warm weather hammocker the first few years,then in the fall of 2004,i made up my mind i was staying off the ground,happy hammock hanging to ya,:cool: neo

the goat
01-23-2006, 16:45
hammocks are for weenies:D

Just Jeff
01-23-2006, 16:57
Eh...yeah.

neo
01-23-2006, 17:00
Eh...yeah.

your hammock website speaks for itself,really cool website jeff:cool: neo

ncmtns
01-23-2006, 17:30
Im a 4 seasoner but I just cant get below the 7-8# weight barrier to keep me warm below 30*. Rather disconcerting because my winter pack is normally heavy anyway. Maybe Im just too cold a sleeper.

neo
01-23-2006, 17:32
Im a 4 seasoner but I just cant get below the 7-8# weight barrier to keep me warm below 30*. Rather disconcerting because my winter pack is normally heavy anyway. Maybe Im just too cold a sleeper.

thats cool:cool: neo

K-Man
01-23-2006, 17:33
I only picked up my hammock in the middle of December and have used it 6 sub 20* nights since. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it will be when the weather warms up. I don't plan to sleep on the ground ever again...

Patrick
01-23-2006, 17:40
I don't plan on ever sleeping on the ground again. My regular setup has gotten me down as low as freezing. I was very comfortable there and feel confident of dropping another ten degrees with just clothing changes.

Beyond that, I plan on using a single-layer top quilt in addtion to my current one, and a pad underneath in addition to my underquilt. I think that will work great for winter, but seem destined never to find out. This is the warmest winter I can ever remember.

Lumberjack
01-23-2006, 18:12
been to 0.... quilted for charmin softness? :P

Ramblin' Rose
01-23-2006, 18:27
Last September (23rd) I did a NH Presidential traverse. The first night I camped just below tree line of Mt Madison (Osgood trail) The temperature was in the 20's with windy conditions. I was comfortable with the HH undercover, ridgerest, and Nunatak Arc Ghost (32deg rating) I did wear a fleese hat and a Moonstone syn Jacket. I slept warm and comfortable that night. The second night I wasn't able to rig the hammock white staying in the Dungeon at Lake in the Clouds. Boy, what a difference sleeping on a hard bunk in contrast to the hammock on the first night!

I'm toying with purchasing an underquilt for colder temps - Can they be used along with the HH undercover? Do any of the under quilts out there have a waterproof fabric like the HH undercover?

Dave

neo
01-23-2006, 20:17
I only picked up my hammock in the middle of December and have used it 6 sub 20* nights since. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it will be when the weather warms up. I don't plan to sleep on the ground ever again...

wow cool webshot page,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

neo
01-23-2006, 20:18
Last September (23rd) I did a NH Presidential traverse. The first night I camped just below tree line of Mt Madison (Osgood trail) The temperature was in the 20's with windy conditions. I was comfortable with the HH undercover, ridgerest, and Nunatak Arc Ghost (32deg rating) I did wear a fleese hat and a Moonstone syn Jacket. I slept warm and comfortable that night. The second night I wasn't able to rig the hammock white staying in the Dungeon at Lake in the Clouds. Boy, what a difference sleeping on a hard bunk in contrast to the hammock on the first night!

I'm toying with purchasing an underquilt for colder temps - Can they be used along with the HH undercover? Do any of the under quilts out there have a waterproof fabric like the HH undercover?

Dave

sounds pretty good to me ramblin rose,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

neo
01-23-2006, 20:20
I don't plan on ever sleeping on the ground again. My regular setup has gotten me down as low as freezing. I was very comfortable there and feel confident of dropping another ten degrees with just clothing changes.

Beyond that, I plan on using a single-layer top quilt in addtion to my current one, and a pad underneath in addition to my underquilt. I think that will work great for winter, but seem destined never to find out. This is the warmest winter I can ever remember.

how much did it cost to make your rayway overquilt,how much does it wiegh,and whats its degree rating:cool: neo

Smooth
01-23-2006, 20:22
Not a single past Thru-Hiker?

Not one?

I use a hammock, and have since string hammocks were all there was. I carried one on part of my Thru-Hike. Die hard hammock camper???

No.

Hammocks have their place. But the best shelter does not need to be hung, set up, or assembled.

I am a die hard bivy sack camper.

neo
01-23-2006, 20:25
Not a single past Thru-Hiker?

Not one?

I use a hammock, and have since string hammocks were all there was. I carried one on part of my Thru-Hike. Die hard hammock camper???

No.

Hammocks have their place. But the best shelter does not need to be hung, set up, or assembled.

I am a die hard bivy sack camper.

thats cool to for you:cool: neo

neo
01-23-2006, 21:26
been to 0.... quilted for charmin softness? :P

excellent man excellent,happy hammock hanging:cool: neo

Palmer
01-23-2006, 21:32
I've been down to around 30 degrees (and it seemed colder). I plan to work down to lower temps so that when I do my thru I'll be able to leave the tent at home. Figure I'll need an underquilt for that.

If it weren't for Whiteblaze, I'd probably still be in a tent with aching hips in the morning!

neo
01-23-2006, 21:35
I've been down to around 30 degrees (and it seemed colder). I plan to work down to lower temps so that when I do my thru I'll be able to leave the tent at home. Figure I'll need an underquilt for that.

If it weren't for Whiteblaze, I'd probably still be in a tent with aching hips in the morning!

excellent,practice makes perfect,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

peter_pan
01-23-2006, 22:19
I hang out in all seasons...have not been to ground in last 30 months... two or three quilts and I'm good to single digits although have not had but teens for lows ... lots of nights in the twenties....winter base pack weight is normally below 13 pounds, sometimes as low as 9-10...

Best way to become a dedicated hammocker is to leave the pad behind, saving weight and lots of volume/bulk... Though I'm sure there will be several to disagree on this point.

Pan

SteveJ
01-23-2006, 23:36
Hey, Neo!

Dedicated hammock camper. 4 season - down into the teens. Don't have (yet!) the setup to go below that. Have to go to ground on my two or three trips to the mtns in the winter when temps will be in single digits or below, or when my 10 yo goes with me and wants me to sleep with him. (He also hangs sometimes, but enjoys being with me more than sleeping comfortably!).

Steve

neo
01-23-2006, 23:37
I hang out in all seasons...have not been to ground in last 30 months... two or three quilts and I'm good to single digits although have not had but teens for lows ... lots of nights in the twenties....winter base pack weight is normally below 13 pounds, sometimes as low as 9-10...

Best way to become a dedicated hammocker is to leave the pad behind, saving weight and lots of volume/bulk... Though I'm sure there will be several to disagree on this point.

Pan

i dont disagree with ya jack,you are 100 percent correct about leaving the pad behind,i just wish i had the money to afford your quilt set,jackrbetter products are expanding and getting better,but my pad is very comfortable
for the price,thanks again and happy hammock hanging to ya jack:cool: neo

Patrick
01-24-2006, 03:40
how much did it cost to make your rayway overquilt,how much does it wiegh,and whats its degree rating:cool: neo

My Ray-Way kit was under $70 shipped. It weighs 28 oz. in its stuff sack. Took five hours to make from start to finish.

Fiddleback
01-24-2006, 10:32
One 'packer's four-season is another packer's...?

The warmest night/highest low I've experienced was at about 6000' during a spring heat wave in the Swan Mountains of Montana...it got to the high 40s. Virtually all of my other hammock nights were in the 30s or 20s although none were earlier than May nor later than October.

With various pad/fleece throw combinations weighing up to 25oz and the addition of a quilt I think I can get below 20°. But I haven't tested that yet.

FB

Patrick
01-24-2006, 13:28
Whoops, didn't answer your other question, neo. I'm not sure what the official rating is. It's 2 layers of 3/4" - 1" Polarguard 3D. I've had it to freezing in my hammock with just shorts very comfortably and feel like it will go down another 5-10 degrees with no problem.

Hana_Hanger
01-24-2006, 18:20
Well....4 season here is rarely below 20 degrees.
Although we had SNOW on top of Haleakala two days ago.

So I would say for me YES I am a 4 season hammock hanger :)
(but must admit mostly it is only 35 to 40 degrees that I have ever slept in over here.)

dizzyT
01-24-2006, 20:32
Are there places on the AT where hammocks are forbidden. I may give this a try. Not crazy about shelters.

cup
01-24-2006, 20:36
I used a Hammock until something brushed across my bottom

Now a land lover!

Peace&Love "cup"

Just Jeff
01-24-2006, 20:56
I used a Hammock until something brushed across my bottom

Yep. Much better to let him crawl over your face instead.

cup
01-24-2006, 21:02
TENT!!

they come in front
i cut my way out back

River Runner
01-25-2006, 03:30
Well, I'm not really a four season backpacker yet, but I am definitely a die-hard hammock user. I don't see myself going back to a tent unless I am taking my young grandson with me. Maybe I just need to get a 2-person hammock to take him along. :)
I have been doing some backyard testing this month, but temps haven't been much below 40.
Backpacked in November with my Hennessy at 24 degrees.

neo
01-25-2006, 12:19
Whoops, didn't answer your other question, neo. I'm not sure what the official rating is. It's 2 layers of 3/4" - 1" Polarguard 3D. I've had it to freezing in my hammock with just shorts very comfortably and feel like it will go down another 5-10 degrees with no problem.

hey patrick how much would you charge to sew a ray way quilt for me,if i ordered the kit and payed you in advance:cool: neo

sparky2000
01-25-2006, 12:41
The first night on a hammock in the Poe Valley area of Pa. a black bear walked underneath me and scratched his/her back on the underside of my legs for a while. It made me smile. How useful I was for those few minutes.

Just Jeff
01-25-2006, 12:53
That's gotta be the coolest thing I've heard in a hammock. Think I woulda pissed myself.

neo
01-25-2006, 14:02
The first night on a hammock in the Poe Valley area of Pa. a black bear walked underneath me and scratched his/her back on the underside of my legs for a while. It made me smile. How useful I was for those few minutes.

wow i bet that was a very interesting experiance,awesome:cool: neo

Jonas4321
01-25-2006, 16:34
My first night in a hammock was 3 years ago, in a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock, at 20 or so degrees, I have never since returned to the ground.

I actually spend more nights hammocking below 30 than above 70, living in the northeast.

Coldest so far, -1*F, but that was in a detached garage with no wind. Coldest so far in the real world was somewhere between 10*-15*F with the wind howling off a nearby lake, snow blowing all around. That was with my latest setup, a ZHammock (Speer-type) with a Stephensons Warmlite Down-filled Air Mattress (DAM), inside a home-made Segmented Pad Extender-esque thingie, a fleece bag inside a synthetic 25* EMS bag. Nice and toasty, not too expensive.

Never touching the ground again, unless I fall down.

neo
01-25-2006, 16:47
My first night in a hammock was 3 years ago, in a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock, at 20 or so degrees, I have never since returned to the ground.

I actually spend more nights hammocking below 30 than above 70, living in the northeast.

Coldest so far, -1*F, but that was in a detached garage with no wind. Coldest so far in the real world was somewhere between 10*-15*F with the wind howling off a nearby lake, snow blowing all around. That was with my latest setup, a ZHammock (Speer-type) with a Stephensons Warmlite Down-filled Air Mattress (DAM), inside a home-made Segmented Pad Extender-esque thingie, a fleece bag inside a synthetic 25* EMS bag. Nice and toasty, not too expensive.

Never touching the ground again, unless I fall down.

sounds great happy hammocking to ya:cool: neo

doodles
01-25-2006, 22:40
I have not winter camped in my hammock yet, although my snowshoes are in the mail and I plan on full winter camping. Until now, I have been in my hammock down to around 20 deg. I have to say I was a little cold, but I didn't really prepare for 20 degree nights. My winter outings will include more underpadding.

As for the question about any areas where hammocks are not allowed.

Baxter State Park in Maine does not allow hammocks. They claim that they harm the trees, even with tree slings.

Hana_Hanger
01-25-2006, 23:22
A Bear!!! oh my word I about died when I finally realized it was just a stray dog hiding under me out of the rain!

Hana_Hanger
01-25-2006, 23:23
A Bear!!! oh my word I about died when I finally realized it was just a stray dog hiding under me out of the rain!

Patrick
01-26-2006, 00:19
No hammocks in Baxter? Is that right? Where else don't they allow them?

Smooth
01-26-2006, 21:24
Still not one single past Thru-Hiker?

No past Thru-Hiker hammock lovers???

I wonder why................???????????

Baxter State Park in Maine was where I wanted my hammock the most! Why, I learned to hammock camp from a friend that lived in Maine. In New Hampshire and north it gets hard to find a flait spot!

By then I had sent back my summer set up (hammock & fly weight bag) and recieved the cooler weather set up (warmer bag).

Max Patch had no trees to tie up to, and in the Whites you get to really stretch your tie up skills.

wyclif
01-26-2006, 22:29
Max Patch had no trees to tie up to, and in the Whites you get to really stretch your tie up skills.

I talked to one hammock hanger who said he had his partner carry a tarptent just so they could camp on Max Patch! They didn't use the tarptent except that one night; they mailed it home and hammocked the rest of the way.

Patrick
01-27-2006, 00:23
I looked on the Baxter Stat Park website and found nothing about hammocks. Can someone point me to regulations?

RITBlake
02-03-2006, 03:01
No hammocks in Baxter? Is that right? Where else don't they allow them?

Ask Teej, he seems to be the man when it comes to figuring Baxter Park. I doubt it though. Why would hammocks be banned? I can undestand dogs, not hammocks

:-?

attroll
02-04-2006, 03:03
I looked on the Baxter Stat Park website and found nothing about hammocks. Can someone point me to regulations?

I have put my hammock up in Baxter before and no one said anything. But then no Ranger ever came around either.

Roland
02-04-2006, 03:14
Here's the Rules and Regulations page: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html
It contains no mention of hammocks.

Using the search feature on the entire Baxter site, the words hammock/hammocks do not appear anywhere.

DLFrost
02-06-2006, 02:07
i just wanted to see how many people here on white blaze consider themself hammock hangers thru and thru,we are talk 4 season hammock
hanging,ya live,breath,and think hammock hanging:cool: neo
Chalk up another fulltimer. Testing the winter system now. :D

Doug Frost

Nagal Logute Iyapa
02-13-2006, 03:39
A good hammock is the only way to go...short of finding a squirrel's nest that is big enough for a substitute.

neo
02-13-2006, 09:25
A good hammock is the only way to go...short of finding a squirrel's nest that is big enough for a substitute.

yeah hammock hanging is the only way to fly:cool: neo

Nagal Logute Iyapa
02-14-2006, 02:12
After years of being a hard-nosed bivy sack enthusiast and ultra-light ghost backpacker, I left the roots, rocks, sand spurs, snakes and briers to the ground squirrels and took to the trees with a vengance. I haven't had to bail water from my hammock or roll over once because something was poking through my bag and doing an inventory on my ribcage. Several of my hiking partners have made the conversion also, after listening to the peaceful lullaby of my snoring as they pitched, tossed, rolled, and spent a cold damp night after sliding off their pads on a 15 degree incline. Flat real estate comes at a premium in the Blue Ridge Moutains...unless you're hanging in a hammock and making sounds like a happy squirrel...just to get a point across to the tent folks.

carolinahiker
02-14-2006, 03:23
Where can i get one of these under quilts sometimes my surplus army pouncho liner doesnt cut it . I love my hammock

neo
02-14-2006, 15:44
Where can i get one of these under quilts sometimes my surplus army pouncho liner doesnt cut it . I love my hammock

this place here has it all:cool: neo

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List.htm

johnny quest
02-20-2006, 15:21
just tried my hammock out in 28 degrees this weekend. got some working to do but i slept ok

Tinker
02-20-2006, 15:52
The other night, in the back yard, with a 20 mph. wind under a cheap poly tarp.
That's the lowest temperature I've slept in a hammock in.

I was reasonably warm, but found cold spots developed when I changed positions.

I'm still working on making it possible. The main problem would be with wind driven and drifting snow. You'd need a tarp which can be closed at the ends, is long enough on each side to go to the ground (or almost), and, most of all, is wind-worthy. (I guess taking a snow load is important, too).

With the gear I have on hand, I've yet to break the 6+ pound barrier (without tarp) for a viable single digit hammock.

My Hilleberg Akto with my lightest winter bag and a closed cell pad is lighter.

swede
02-20-2006, 23:49
One of the reasons I bought my HH Exped is for the coolness and bug protection in warm weather. I sleep warm. I have used it 8 nights this winter, in the mid -upper 30's and was toasty with a thermarest with a windshield reflector crossways at the shoulder. I use a bag and a fleece stadium blanket gives some flexibility. Hardly any weight add on. I found a balaclava stays put also, since a watch cap tends to pop off my noggin.

neo
02-21-2006, 15:40
One of the reasons I bought my HH Exped is for the coolness and bug protection in warm weather. I sleep warm. I have used it 8 nights this winter, in the mid -upper 30's and was toasty with a thermarest with a windshield reflector crossways at the shoulder. I use a bag and a fleece stadium blanket gives some flexibility. Hardly any weight add on. I found a balaclava stays put also, since a watch cap tends to pop off my noggin.

awesome:cool: neo

MtnBikerGuy
02-21-2006, 15:56
I have had my HH for about 6 months but have yet to use it. I went to Big Bend and was not sure if there were enough trees. (glad I took my tent) Also been going with my son and we share the tent. I will use it before I do some section hiking on the AT in May. Sleeping comfort has always been my #1 issue, even as a scout. I have just learned to deal and expect poor sleep. I am hoping the HH will be my comfort savior.

peter_pan
02-21-2006, 20:05
Welcome to the hanging crowd... don't forget to have a viable bottom insulation plan before your first class at the school of hard knocks.

Pan

neo
02-21-2006, 20:08
I have had my HH for about 6 months but have yet to use it. I went to Big Bend and was not sure if there were enough trees. (glad I took my tent) Also been going with my son and we share the tent. I will use it before I do some section hiking on the AT in May. Sleeping comfort has always been my #1 issue, even as a scout. I have just learned to deal and expect poor sleep. I am hoping the HH will be my comfort savior.

happy hammock hangin to ya:cool: neo