PDA

View Full Version : How many rolls of toilet paper

rocketsocks
02-20-2017, 11:28
How many rolls of toilet paper does it take to do a thru-hike?

Old Hillwalker
02-20-2017, 11:32
I think that only Minnesota Smith could tell you that. However if its intended use is to keep a journal.....

jeffmeh
02-20-2017, 11:58
On average, about 1/3800th of a roll.

ScareBear
02-20-2017, 12:05

None, if you use the back-flushing feature of your Sawyer correctly...:eek:

Feral Bill
02-20-2017, 13:25
On a recent Wonderland Trail hike I used one roll in eleven days. I do not skimp. Extrapolate.

ScareBear
02-20-2017, 13:31
On a recent Wonderland Trail hike I used one roll in eleven days. I do not skimp. Extrapolate.

Add fiber to your diet....just sayin...

swisscross
02-20-2017, 13:40
Is toilet paper added to base weight or is it considered a consumable?

Traveler
02-20-2017, 13:58

There is likely a gender difference between user groups, the presumption is the OP is looking for TP use for an average male.

The standard sized square of TP is approximately 4.5" by 4.5". There are approximately 1,000 squares in a standard roll of 1-ply TP and 500 squares in a standard roll of 2-ply TP. Presuming economics is the primary driver when purchasing TP, 1-ply would be least expensive and most likely what will be used by most, so a standard 1-ply roll is presumed.

Most people tend to use the same number of squares each time its needed (according to TP industry research). Using an estimate of five squares per time, and accounting for start/end of roll damaged sheets, a standard roll will have enough for approximately 60 standard use circumstances.

The average person will take between 5 - 7 months to complete a thru hike. To estimate the hike duration I will use 180 days, with one day per week where no TP would be used (zero day, quick pit stop in town, etc). The presumption is there are approximately 25 days TP would not be used. Leaving 155 days of communing nature and regularity bliss in the woods.

So, Presuming there is no loss of TP via rain or other damage and the above presumptions are true, it should take just over 2 standard rolls to complete the thru (finding TP in a privy on occasion would lower this to 2 rolls). Factor in gastrointestinal issues or colds needing facial tissues, an estimate of 2.5 to 3 standard rolls should be in the ball park.

Bronk
02-20-2017, 14:01
Depends...do you count just the amount you use or what you throw away before you leave town...I'd usually buy a roll and rip half of it off and dispose of it before leaving town.

Sarcasm the elf
02-20-2017, 14:15

All of them.

Engine
02-20-2017, 14:18
There is likely a gender difference between user groups, the presumption is the OP is looking for TP use for an average male.

The standard sized square of TP is approximately 4.5" by 4.5". There are approximately 1,000 squares in a standard roll of 1-ply TP and 500 squares in a standard roll of 2-ply TP. Presuming economics is the primary driver when purchasing TP, 1-ply would be least expensive and most likely what will be used by most, so a standard 1-ply roll is presumed.

Most people tend to use the same number of squares each time its needed (according to TP industry research). Using an estimate of five squares per time, and accounting for start/end of roll damaged sheets, a standard roll will have enough for approximately 60 standard use circumstances.

The average person will take between 5 - 7 months to complete a thru hike. To estimate the hike duration I will use 180 days, with one day per week where no TP would be used (zero day, quick pit stop in town, etc). The presumption is there are approximately 25 days TP would not be used. Leaving 155 days of communing nature and regularity bliss in the woods.

So, Presuming there is no loss of TP via rain or other damage and the above presumptions are true, it should take just over 2 standard rolls to complete the thru (finding TP in a privy on occasion would lower this to 2 rolls). Factor in gastrointestinal issues or colds needing facial tissues, an estimate of 2.5 to 3 standard rolls should be in the ball park. Years ago when I was the logistics officer for our department, I tried to save money by purchasing ultra-cheap 1 ply TP, I had a full blown mutiny on my hands within a week. Lesson learned...buy the good stuff and just accept the cost. In this case, it comes down to carrying the Charmin Extra and dealing with the slight weight increase. At least until the 1st roll runs dry...then it's get by with whatever we can scavenge.

Venchka
02-20-2017, 14:30
Y'all obviously have too much time to waste.
Grinning.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnThe Snail
02-20-2017, 15:37
There's always plenty of leaves available. Just saying ...

evyck da fleet
02-20-2017, 16:13
I'm gonna guess 2. I remember purchasing a pack in Duncannon and contributing the extra rolls to the hiker box.

25 days is way too low. If you resupply twice a week there's an opportunity. Also if you can get into town early before your zero and take care of business before you leave there's another one. Of course age and weight may cause variations.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2017, 16:31

I think that only Minnesota Smith could tell you that. However if its intended use is to keep a journal.....
I believe Winton Porter reported the number of TP rolls as nine.

rocketsocks
02-20-2017, 18:06
I believe Winton Porter reported the number of TP rolls as nine.That's closer to what I was thinking...I figured about 12, but two of those were used to figure the math. :D

egilbe
02-20-2017, 18:11

Thats about what I used in the same amount of time.

jimmyjam
02-20-2017, 18:44
depends on how much TP you "borrow" from restaurants, hotels, gas stations, your hiking buddy........

Sarcasm the elf
02-20-2017, 19:44

So, Presuming there is no loss of TP via rain or other damage and the above presumptions are true, it should take just over 2 standard rolls to complete the thru (finding TP in a privy on occasion would lower this to 2 rolls). Factor in gastrointestinal issues or colds needing facial tissues, an estimate of 2.5 to 3 standard rolls should be in the ball park.

Given your estimation of 4.5" per square, if we take that, multiply by 5280 feet in a mile and then by the 2190 miles the A.T. roughly stretches, then we would need 30,835,122.912 squares of TP to conplete the entire trail. That equates to approximately 61,670.25 rolls of double ply or 30,835.12 rolls of single ply. So make sure to stock up!

rocketsocks
02-20-2017, 20:34
Given your estimation of 4.5" per square, if we take that, multiply by 5280 feet in a mile and then by the 2190 miles the A.T. roughly stretches, then we would need 30,835,122.912 squares of TP to conplete the entire trail. That equates to approximately 61,670.25 rolls of double ply or 30,835.12 rolls of single ply. So make sure to stock up!Now figure how many miles of TP to do a thru.

ScareBear
02-20-2017, 22:51
Again, I think there are too many variables that are diet-related to get an accurate sheet sheet-count....

I'm telling ya, with that adapter to mate a water bottle to the Sawyer for back-flushing makes flushing your backside seem perfectly reasonable...kinda like a portable bidet, eh Jean-Pierre?

nsherry61
02-21-2017, 00:23
For me zero! I don't use the stuff. It's dirty and messy and ugly and takes up space. I've got much better and waterproof fire starter.

Water works much better than TP. It's more LND, costs less, doesn't need to be kept dry, helps with the waste breakdown in the cat hole, is more readily available in the back-country and for some reason it makes whiners squeamish. . . yeah, you have to touch yourself.

If you're not confident in poring water out of your water bottle in a sanitary way, many people bring little 250 ml squirt bottles which work quite well as portable bidets and as squirt guns in back country water fights.

If you're not comfortable cleaning yourself with water, practice at home until you are.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2017, 00:33
Sorry, but the thought of ice cold spring water squirting up my butt just doesn't seem like a soothing way to start off my day. To each their own.

rocketsocks
02-21-2017, 00:49
For me zero! I don't use the stuff. It's dirty and messy and ugly and takes up space. I've got much better and waterproof fire starter.

Water works much better than TP. It's more LND, costs less, doesn't need to be kept dry, helps with the waste breakdown in the cat hole, is more readily available in the back-country and for some reason it makes whiners squeamish. . . yeah, you have to touch yourself.

If you're not confident in poring water out of your water bottle in a sanitary way, many people bring little 250 ml squirt bottles which work quite well as portable bidets and as squirt guns in back country water fights.

If you're not comfortable cleaning yourself with water, practice at home until you are.oh I don't know, I rather enjoy rippin' out matted butt hair for an early mornin' eye opener.

nsherry61
02-21-2017, 10:41
Sorry, but the thought of ice cold spring water squirting up my butt just doesn't seem like a soothing way to start off my day. To each their own.
It's quite refreshing actually. Really. It's also smoother and more effective than the perfectly shaped and molded snowballs the many people rave about.

Your sort of sentiment is shared by a lot of people I know when they hear about peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches for the first time, until they try them of course. And the, about 3/4 of people are annoyingly surprised at how much they like them. The other quarter just don't admit it.

Storm
02-21-2017, 11:09
You're supposed to use TP????????

ImAfraidOfBears
02-21-2017, 11:18

If you're not comfortable cleaning yourself with water, practice at home until you are.
as a rule, i keep my hands free of fecal matter at all times, no matter if i sanitize after or not.

others can compromise, im not willing to. i would recommend at least using a large rock or some leaves.

there is other solutions that don't cost weight that keep your hands free of crap, but to each his own.

ImAfraidOfBears
02-21-2017, 11:21
no offense to you nsherry61, its just posts like yours that scare me when it comes to cross contamination from other hikers. not that i don't trust you, but some people have such bad hygiene that im afraid of getting sick from their filth.

rocketsocks
02-21-2017, 11:57
It's quite refreshing actually. Really. It's also smoother and more effective than the perfectly shaped and molded snowballs the many people rave about.

Your sort of sentiment is shared by a lot of people I know when they hear about peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches for the first time, until they try them of course. And the, about 3/4 of people are annoyingly surprised at how much they like them. The other quarter just don't admit it.i grew up on DP and PB sandwhich's...good Shyte!

IroquoisArcher
02-21-2017, 13:25
Not related I guess but read somewhere that taping around the outside and removing the tube and lets you unroll from inside out making unrolling in your pack less likely.

Hikingjim
02-21-2017, 13:40
You're supposed to use TP???????? Yeah, if you don't then the build up of "crusties" on your body will weigh more than the TP, making it bad UL practice.

swjohnsey
02-21-2017, 14:02
None. poopy rag.

swjohnsey
02-21-2017, 14:03
Again, I think there are too many variables that are diet-related to get an accurate sheet sheet-count....

I'm telling ya, with that adapter to mate a water bottle to the Sawyer for back-flushing makes flushing your backside seem perfectly reasonable...kinda like a portable bidet, eh Jean-Pierre?

Make sure you have the backflow preventer!

ScareBear
02-21-2017, 15:32
as a rule, i keep my hands free of fecal matter at all times, no matter if i sanitize after or not.

others can compromise, im not willing to. i would recommend at least using a large rock or some leaves.

there is other solutions that don't cost weight that keep your hands free of crap, but to each his own.

Large rock....granite, quartzite or shale? EGADS!!!! Moss-covered, hopefully....

Just remember...you eat with your right hand...the left hand is for...

Just sayin...

Sarcasm the elf
02-21-2017, 15:39
Large rock....granite, quartzite or shale? EGADS!!!! Moss-covered, hopefully....

Just remember...you eat with your right hand...the left hand is for...

Just sayin...

Not if you're a lefty...

Old Hillwalker
02-21-2017, 16:46
For an alternate process, watch the movie "Child of God". The scene of note is at the beginning.

nsherry61
02-21-2017, 17:03
no offense to you nsherry61, its just posts like yours that scare me when it comes to cross contamination from other hikers. not that i don't trust you, but some people have such bad hygiene that im afraid of getting sick from their filth.
Actually, it is a fallacy to think that you are not getting fecal matter contamination on your hands when you wipe with paper. And, that fallacy often leads to people not washing carefully after defecating because, they think the paper safely kept their fingers clean. AND, that fallacy is what should REALLY scare you when it comes to cross contamination from other hikers.

I would hope that people who actually clean themselves instead just smearing themselves with paper, also have extra motivation to wash their hands thoroughly afterwords, specifically because there is no ambiguity or fallacy about cleanliness when you don't use TP.

Just my two cents.

Kookork
02-21-2017, 17:40
Actually, it is a fallacy to think that you are not getting fecal matter contamination on your hands when you wipe with paper. And, that fallacy often leads to people not washing carefully after defecating because, they think the paper safely kept their fingers clean. AND, that fallacy is what should REALLY scare you when it comes to cross contamination from other hikers.

I would hope that people who actually clean themselves instead just smearing themselves with paper, also have extra motivation to wash their hands thoroughly afterwords, specifically because there is no ambiguity or fallacy about cleanliness when you don't use TP.

Just my two cents.
Amen to this^^
As a middle eastern I have used both TP and water methods for cleaning. Both has pros and cons but the assumption that you can keep your hand cleaner by using TP is just not true(fallacy is an appropriate word also). I know it seems very unsanitary to use water but considering you wash your hands after answering the call of nature it is cleaner way in long run. Andrew Skurka switched to using water years ago. I think he knows better than many of us about what really and practically works. YMMV.

ScareBear
02-21-2017, 19:25
Not if you're a lefty...

Pretty sure that taboo applies to lefties where the "eat/greet right, wipe left" thing started...just sayin...

Wyoming
02-21-2017, 19:52
Ok I am a bit curious here.

How come no one has said that NO ONE should be taking tp into the wilderness at all?

I never carry tp so the answer to the question is zero.

I carry packs of wet wipes and carry the used ones out and throw them in the trash in town - LNT??

I was sort of under the impression that most folks had evolved to that method. Not??

Using wet wipes is MUCH more hygienic than using tp as you get yourself a LOT cleaner. A great side benefit of this is that you get Monkey Butt far less often as you are not leaving the poop remains on your pretty little bottom all week with no showers.

I quite successfully get by on 2 wet wipes a day - though I usually carry 3 per day just in case. Extras can be used to clean other parts too - hint, hint.

Btw washing yourself with water on desert hikes is often a non-starter as you don't have the water to spare. Let alone enough to try and clean your hand afterward.

jj dont play
02-21-2017, 23:58
Depends on if you get Noro or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 02:14

Zero.

Quite a few people around the world safely and hygienically do without the Charmin. TP does not have to be in the form of rolls of white paper.

QiWiz
02-22-2017, 13:08
It depends on how careful and constipated (or not) you are. Also whether you actually use TP at all. So many variables.

rocketsocks
02-22-2017, 14:32
I had a movement yesterday that had just the right amount of mucus so hardly no clean up at all...why can't they all be like that. :)

Kookork
02-22-2017, 20:35
I had a movement yesterday that had just the right amount of mucus so hardly no clean up at all...why can't they all be like that. :)t

Ask the Greek God of defecation " Anus " for a smooth bowel movement.

rocketsocks
02-22-2017, 21:16
t

Ask the Greek God of defecation " Anus " for a smooth bowel movement.:D I'll bet he s*its ona porcelain throne.

nsherry61
02-23-2017, 01:14
Ask the Greek God of defecation " Anus " for a smooth bowel movement.
Fun fact: The roman god of feces is Stercutus.

And, just to be argumentative, for those of you that think wet-wipes are better than water to clean yourself with, wet wipes can actually dry out your skin and be irritating when used every day, much less than TP, but, more irritating than water alone. Of course, I suppose you could wipe with wet wipes and then put a little lotion on your backside to replenish the skin. Or, you could clean with just water.

As for hiking in the desert:
1) Done right, you can get by quite well with somewhere between 250 and 500 ml of water.
2) Unless there is an emergency, plan your potty break to coincide with the availability of water. Duh.
3) Yeah maybe, if you are hiking a two day stretch without water and nature calls it would be a good idea to have something other than water to clean yourself up with, but how often are you hiking without a water source for two or more days in the desert. In such a case, sure, plan according. One doesn't need to always use the same method regardless of changing circumstances. I just hate seeing a highly effective method ruled out because of naivete or fear instead of practicality and function.

MtDoraDave
02-23-2017, 08:07

Just one at a time. :)

For my section hikes, I bring about a half roll of Scott. I always bring some home at the end of the week, too. If I were to bring a full roll, it wouldn't fit inside a sandwich sized zip loc baggie!

Engine
02-23-2017, 08:16
Maybe someone will set up a booth offering hot wax hair removal at Trail Days, just think of all the trees that could be saved.

ScareBear
02-23-2017, 08:57
Maybe someone will set up a booth offering hot wax hair removal at Trail Days, just think of all the trees that could be saved.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffft!!!!!! That was the sound of coffee leaving my nose.......LOL!!

OK...this thread has officially gone in the crapper....

atraildreamer
02-23-2017, 18:13

Let's not make an issue over tissue. :rolleyes:

Wolf - 23000
02-24-2017, 04:54

Some hikers are Completely full of $hit and need 1 roll/per day.

rocketsocks
02-24-2017, 12:23
Some hikers are Completely full of $hit and need 1 roll/per day.some are so full of it they should just wear diapers

jrwiesz
02-24-2017, 12:54
some are so full of it they should just wear diapers

We prefer to call them attends.