PDA

View Full Version : Awols guide

Bubblehead
02-20-2017, 14:49
I hiked Springer Approach to Pearisburg last year using Awols 2016 Northbound Guide. This year I'm hiking Pearisburg to Wingdale, NY. I want to use last years Awols guide this year...I don't really need to get a 2017 guide, do I? I would think there wouldn't be that many changes between this years ands last years....although I know there were fires last year along the trail. Has there been any major reroutes or trail closures north of Peariburg this year? Thanks....

illabelle
02-20-2017, 14:53
I have a 2013 AWOL guide that I'm using for our 10-year section hike plans, no problems so far. If you go to www.theatguide.com there is/was a link for updates. You can check to see if the trail has been rerouted in an area or for other changes.

As far as the fires go, that happened so late in the year, I doubt the 2017 guides would have any information on them anyway.

Bubblehead
02-20-2017, 14:56
You must be talking about the Gatlinburg fires late last year. While I was on the trail last year from April- June, there were fires north of Hot Springs, and in the Shanendoahs...

Bubblehead
02-20-2017, 14:57
Thanks for the info Illabelle, I'm sure the 2016 guide will work just fine!

map man
02-20-2017, 19:57
There are always some tweaks from year to year. For instance, the Three Springs Hostel, between Daleville and Waynesboro in Virginia, will not be open to hikers during NOBO thru-hike season in 2017.