PDA

View Full Version : Feral cats

Ethesis
02-20-2017, 15:55
All over Europe there are feral cats on the trails.

I'm surprised the mice on the AT don't result in feral cats at shelters.

Feral Bill
02-20-2017, 16:09
Are they feral, or European wild cats?

devoidapop
02-20-2017, 16:13
I think life at lower elevations is much easier for stray or feral cats. Plenty of rats and mice to eat in town and more shelter options.

fluffkitten
02-20-2017, 16:22
If you're seeing them they're most likely feral, wild cat both here in the UK and over on the Continent are extremely rare and elusive.
Don't see cats on trail in the UK unless there people living nearby.

Ktaadn
02-20-2017, 16:42
I think the problem here is that too many people want to rescue stray cats and dogs. I like the idea of having a shelter cat though.

Sandy of PA
02-20-2017, 17:32
The coyotes eat any excess cats hanging out in the woods.

egilbe
02-20-2017, 18:05

Or even in your yard.

Ethesis
02-20-2017, 18:32
Or even in your yard.

bobcats get them in our neighborhood.

But the winters probably explain it. In Europe people often pack in cat food to trail locations.

They dont have the coyotes or the harder winters.

peakbagger
02-20-2017, 19:23
Fishers, coyotes and bobcats all trim the excess population of cats in my area.

rocketsocks
02-20-2017, 20:39

Fishers, coyotes and bobcats all trim the excess population of cats in my area.
How do they determine excess? I never heard that term before.

Kalaallit
02-20-2017, 20:48
How do they determine excess? I never heard that term before.
Whenever they see a cat, they hunt it. When there aren't too many cats around, they're harder to find, so less are killed.

Engine
02-20-2017, 21:08
The coyotes eat any excess cats hanging out in the woods. Exactly...

Engine
02-20-2017, 21:10
How do they determine excess? I never heard that term before. Any amount more than zero, if they can catch them.

Dogwood
02-20-2017, 22:47
On Maui the mongoose and feral cats are usually side by side eating the same cat food cat angels put out. The mongoose hold their ground aginst the cats even the largest ones with the cats lower in the pecking order.

Maui Rhino
02-21-2017, 00:48
Speaking of Maui, I once saw a map of the island, with the endangered and threatened sea bird nesting colonies marked. A second map layer showed known cat colonies, many of which coincided with the nesting sites. Many in the conservation side here want to see them eradicated, but the cat lovers won't let that happen. One proponent of TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) became violently angry with me for even suggesting his beloved feral cats are a threat to the endangered birds.

Engine
02-21-2017, 03:55
Speaking of Maui, I once saw a map of the island, with the endangered and threatened sea bird nesting colonies marked. A second map layer showed known cat colonies, many of which coincided with the nesting sites. Many in the conservation side here want to see them eradicated, but the cat lovers won't let that happen. One proponent of TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) became violently angry with me for even suggesting his beloved feral cats are a threat to the endangered birds. I almost mentioned that very issue in my earlier comment. Feral cats are HELL on local bird populations pretty much every where they exist.

ScareBear
02-21-2017, 05:26
Coyotes. No feral cats. Problem solved.

Feral hogs? Yep. The AT's got them...

Feral horses? Yep. The AT's got them...

Engine
02-21-2017, 07:34
Coyotes. No feral cats. Problem solved.

Feral hogs? Yep. The AT's got them...

Feral horses? Yep. The AT's got them... A few feral hikers too. ;)

peakbagger
02-21-2017, 07:34
Feral Horses?. Never heard of them. The Mt Rogers ponys are a fenced in managed herd so they don't count. Where else are there feral horses on the AT?

ScareBear
02-21-2017, 08:41
Feral Horses?. Never heard of them. The Mt Rogers ponys are a fenced in managed herd so they don't count. Where else are there feral horses on the AT?

My understanding is that the ponies at Mt. Rogers and Grayson Highlands were wild ponies that were captured on Asseteague Island and brought to the Highlands in 1975 and released there. That would make them wild(feral) horses, no matter where they came from. They've never been domesticated in over 400 years...

Gambit McCrae
02-21-2017, 09:18
The excess of dogs on the trail that are not tired enough at the end of the day spend the evening running off any stray cats I have seen on the trail. Brown Fork Gap Shelter used to have a big ol tom cat that would post up on the corner post of the shelter. Dog spent the whole evening watching for him, running him off...watching for him..running him off.

peakbagger
02-21-2017, 10:29
They are effective fenced in by fences or terrain and every year the state rounds up and auction ponies to keep the population stable. Lets call them managed feral ponies. http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.com/2011/09/mount-rogers-wild-pony-round-up.html

Theosus
02-23-2017, 08:26
Any amount more than zero, if they can catch them.

So Coyotes and I have that in common: Any cat more than zero is too many cats.