PDA

View Full Version : Loops from Springer Mt to mid VA?

SCEd
02-21-2017, 10:40
For obvious reasons I am looking for loops to hike from Springer Mt through mid Virginia (I live in SC so this is the more drivable distance). I have done Standing Indian loop a few times. I have also done the loop at Mt Rogers. I prefer 20+ miles of hiking. Any suggestions? I see some sections of the AT that sort of loop, but not sure which ones have adjoining trails to complete the loop.

Thanks.

Uncle Joe
02-21-2017, 11:32
There's the Georgia Loop in GA that's about ~50mi or so. From Three Forks (or anywhere on the loop) take the AT to the Duncan Ridge Trail then the DRT to The Benton MacKaye Trail back to Three Forks.

CalebJ
02-21-2017, 11:50
GSMNP has hundreds of miles of trail to allow some excellent loops. Among other things, you could go one direction on the AT and return on the BMT. That would be 140 or so miles of trail.

SCEd
02-21-2017, 16:02
There's the Georgia Loop in GA that's about ~50mi or so. From Three Forks (or anywhere on the loop) take the AT to the Duncan Ridge Trail then the DRT to The Benton MacKaye Trail back to Three Forks.

I looked this up. It is interesting. Does the Duncan Ridge trail turn into the Benton Mckaye Trail? Are these 2 trails well marked? The part from Morganton Hwy (GA-60) to the AT is confusing on All Trails. When I look up Duncan Ridge it stops at Morganton Hwy even though when I zoom it shows it continuing. When I search Benton Mckaye it doesn't touch this, yet when I zoom I see it is called Benton Mckaye Trail. Very confusing. But I do see the loop. Looks like about 24 AT miles, 18 Duncan Ridge to Morganton Hwy, then maybe another 14 miles roughly of Duncan Ridge/Benton McKaye from Morganton Hwy back to AT at Three forks.

Also, are there any shelters on Duncan Ridge or really I only need good campsites? I assume camping is allowed on Duncan /Ridge trail.

Thanks...this may be a loop I take. Looks like a lot of ups and downs. I usually average 12-15 mi per day on AT in NC/Tenn/VA so I would expect 4-4.5 days for this hike. How about water on the Duncan Ridge trail? Any tricky parts to keeping on these trails?

I appreciate your help jpolk84!

SCEd
02-21-2017, 16:07
GSMNP has hundreds of miles of trail to allow some excellent loops. Among other things, you could go one direction on the AT and return on the BMT. That would be 140 or so miles of trail.

This Benton Mckaye Trail is obviously one I need to learn about. I haven't been on this coast very long. It seems key for the GA/Tenn hiking area.

Thanks.

ernie84
02-21-2017, 18:41
The VA Triple Crown, just outside of Roanoke, is ~30 miles and makes for a nice 3 day loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
02-22-2017, 14:46
I looked this up. It is interesting. Does the Duncan Ridge trail turn into the Benton Mckaye Trail? Are these 2 trails well marked? The part from Morganton Hwy (GA-60) to the AT is confusing on All Trails. When I look up Duncan Ridge it stops at Morganton Hwy even though when I zoom it shows it continuing. When I search Benton Mckaye it doesn't touch this, yet when I zoom I see it is called Benton Mckaye Trail. Very confusing. But I do see the loop. Looks like about 24 AT miles, 18 Duncan Ridge to Morganton Hwy, then maybe another 14 miles roughly of Duncan Ridge/Benton McKaye from Morganton Hwy back to AT at Three forks.

Also, are there any shelters on Duncan Ridge or really I only need good campsites? I assume camping is allowed on Duncan /Ridge trail.

Thanks...this may be a loop I take. Looks like a lot of ups and downs. I usually average 12-15 mi per day on AT in NC/Tenn/VA so I would expect 4-4.5 days for this hike. How about water on the Duncan Ridge trail? Any tricky parts to keeping on these trails?

I appreciate your help jpolk84!

Do a little research on the DRT and BMT or google "Georgia Loop." Or you can pm me as I have been doing some myself. I should caveat this with the DRT is notoriously tough. Water is scarce. There are a couple of places where it dumps out on a FR where water could be cached. I plan to do this trail and am planning to cache.

I've done the BMT up to Wilscot Gap so I've passed the DRT. When the DRT dead ends into the BMT going counter-clockwise, you'd head left or South. From there the trail is pretty well marked. You come to Hwy 60 and continue across the pave road and up the trail to the left of the FR. That FR goes back to the Toccoa Swinging Br which is also where the trail will take you. Once there you just go across the bridge, continue straight and you will eventually come to the 4-way at the Long Creek Falls turn-off just above Three Forks on the AT, albeit about 11mi out.

Having done the AT and this section of the BMT, as well as the Coosa section of the DRT I've done all of the GA Loop except the DRT section from Wolfpen Gap back to the BMT. So that section I know little about other than noted above.

Uncle Joe
02-22-2017, 14:56
This thread might help:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/8770-Trail-Guide-to-Duncan-Ridge-Trail-and-other-stuff

SCEd
02-22-2017, 16:48
This thread might help:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/8770-Trail-Guide-to-Duncan-Ridge-Trail-and-other-stuff

Thanks jpolk84. The link is very useful.

Mr. Bumpy
02-22-2017, 17:50
The milage is a little on the low side but the Shelton Laurel area of Madison County, NC has a loop you can include. There are two safe FS parking areas Big Creek and something else. Start low and go high and you can join the AT near the Shelton Graves and run it over to Little Laurel. You can also go off of the Tennessee side of the ridge to the new state park or down into Horse Creek or Greystone. You got to love the hills, but you can turn it into a two nighter with a little bit of creativity.
You would use Trails Illustrated #782. There are several other trails or fire roads in the Shelton Laurel area that are not on the trails illustrated that you can use. They do appear on the quads. You can get turned around and confused in the area but you would have to try to get lost.

skater
02-22-2017, 20:50
South of GA-60 (actually south of Rhodes Mountain, a few miles north), DRT and BMT share the treadway, and BMT is considered the primary trail so most guides and maps show it as BMT. Technically it is both.

There are no shelters on the DRT, but there are many spots for camping suitable for tent or hammock. Water is sparse, with Mulky Gap and Sarvis Gap as the main but not only water sources. The trail is often steep but generally easy to follow. (We say, if you lose the trail, just head for the top of the hill and you'll find it.) Where it intersects the AT, there is a very visible sign. Feel free to PM me if you need further information.

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 21:22
Georgia Loop can easily be turned into a lollipop by starting ending at Neels Gap or Amicalola Falls SP.

From Neels Gap GA easy to also do loops in Vogel SP or loops involving the trails on Brasstown Bald(Ga's highest pt) and the AT. On the GA Loop and Brasstown Bald loops you'll have AT lean-to access at least one night.

Plenty of loops in your range right in SC at Jones Gap and Caesars Head SP's.

In nearby NC just over the border loops can be done in Gorges SP.

I'd check on recent fire damage but loops can be had involving the Bartram Tr and AT around NOC.

Some good loops in Linville Gorge involving lots of potential solitude that include the Mountains to Sea Tr.

SCEd
02-23-2017, 19:00
Thanks Skater and Dogwood. Lots of good information for me to look into. I am feeling very good about the loops I haven't taken yet :)