PDA

View Full Version : Bad Water Sources

mattydt20
01-23-2006, 16:45
I was wondering if people remember bad water sources along the AT. By this I mean sources that you shouldn't count on because they're undrinkable. I thought I'd make notes in my Data Book so I don't count on a source and then find out I need to move on.

Just a quick note on the location will suffice (even better if you know the marker in the data book), no need for lengthy responses or tangents.

Ridge
01-23-2006, 16:51
A tough question, it depends on the availability. In good times you may have 10 sources of water to choose from in a 20 mile stretch. As availability decreases (due to weather, etc) you are subjected (sometimes)to having to choose a less desirable water source.

the goat
01-23-2006, 17:02
As availability decreases (due to weather, etc) you are subjected (sometimes)to having to choose a less desirable water source.

yeah, like drinking from mud puddles a la pa in 2001

allie
01-23-2006, 17:11
Don't depend too much on the "headwaters of the chatahoochee" water is available but it's mostly a large mud puddle. But if you absolutely need water you can get it.

TACKLE
01-23-2006, 17:43
I went from Springer to Boiling Springs and found only one stream polluted (when I needed it).That was Tagg Run stream,below James Fry Shelter. The two springs near the shelter were dried up.Also load up with water at Hawk Mountain Shelter.There's a 6 1/2 mile stretch with no water until you can refill.It might not sound to far to go without water,but for me it was in the begining and I was out of shape.It was very hot and Sassafras Mtn. kicked my butt.I luckily mooched water from a group of Army Rangers.
ALOHA,

TACKLE

Peaks
01-23-2006, 18:51
There were some water sources in the MacAfee Knob area in 2002 that were highly suspect.

Generally speaking, common sense will tell you what the quality of the water is. If you see it coming out of the ground, good chance that it's OK to drink. And a stream through a pasture is probably not good to drink.