PDA

View Full Version : Current water conditions on the trail.

One Half
02-21-2017, 19:03
I was reading a journal on trail journals and noticed that Wood's Hole and the source just below Blood Mountain Shelter are dry.

This is not good especially this early in the season.

Anyone else have water conditions on the trail?

JC13
02-21-2017, 19:48
Not surprised about Woods Hole personally, it was dry this past July before the drought. Slaughter was still flowing though, we did have to use a bottle to dip water out there though.

ChuckT
02-21-2017, 19:55
Hope for a wet Spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JC13
02-21-2017, 19:57
I forgot to mention, check out Wandering Kiwi on Youtube. He has been making a pretty good habit of noting what water sources are flowing.

SCEd
02-21-2017, 20:06
I was hiking southbound towards Hot Springs and the AT Guide "Springs" listed at NB Mile 277.4 was not flowing. Barely a wet spot. That area burnt last year so I don't know if that affected it. Water sources at the Little Laurel Shelter and Flint Mt Shelter were both good.

I did the Standing Indian Loop about 3 weeks ago and all water sources were in good shape.

Last weekend I was at Grayson Highlands and Mount Rogers, water sources were flowing but seemed very weak.

LIhikers
02-21-2017, 22:19
I can tell for a fact that NY's Harriman State Park, which the trail runs through, has plenty of water right now.

Engine
02-22-2017, 05:42
It seems like the creeks are flowing okay, but the springs are kind of hit or miss.

QuietStorm
02-22-2017, 07:42
PA springs above Port Clinton are flowing well from what I've seen in the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
02-22-2017, 08:08
It seems like the creeks are flowing okay, but the springs are kind of hit or miss.

Bingo. In my area, November thru January was wet. As soon as February started, it seems like the rains slowed down and the temperatures have been elevated. Hopefully we will get some good rains before the wet season ends. :)

Whack-a-mole
03-07-2017, 20:13
Last weekend we were at the very southern end of the Smokies, and most of the little watering holes were pretty dry, but the spring at Birch Spring campsite was flowing pretty good.

One Half
03-08-2017, 16:45
Last weekend we were at the very southern end of the Smokies, and most of the little watering holes were pretty dry, but the spring at Birch Spring campsite was flowing pretty good.

Thanks.
Hopefully the area will get some rain soon.