PDA

View Full Version : No cook re supply choices?

Cheyou
02-22-2017, 10:27
If You only buy food at stores along the AT . What items do you use ? Things you eat regularly .

Help Thom

Patchy
02-23-2017, 09:24
Peanut butter, snickers, oatmeal, fig newtons, cookies, bagels, fruit (occasionally) Clif bars, cheese, combos pretzels snacks, etc....

bigcranky
02-23-2017, 09:45
Cashews + dried fruit + dark choc M&M's = gorp I can eat all day long
PB or other nut butter + tortillas + dried fruit = lunch or dinner
+1 on fig newtons, various bars, lots of cheese (mmmmmm), combos, etc.
Tuna packets + cheese + mayo packets + tortilla = another good lunch
jerky + cheese + crackers = lunch or dinner
Granola or muesli eaten cold = breakfast, I usually add nuts and fruit
When leaving town I like to bring fresh hummus, a fresh cucumber, and some flat bread for lunch. Love me some hummus. :)
Another good leaving town lunch is a big Subway sandwich loaded with veggies.

ranger2012
02-23-2017, 10:11
My no cook meals for my AT and PCT thru. I don't require a lot of variety and I love PB (on trail I'd eat a 28oz jar every 4 days). Use PB jar (64gm) to hydrate ramen and idahoan and to eat cereal. Lots of no cook hikers use ziplok but they get holes in them very easily.

Breakfast: cereal w/ water (frosted mini wheats make a great snack as well if you get the big bag)
Meal2: oreos w/ pb (I'd eat about 1/4 of a 14oz package a day)
Meal3: tortillas w/ pb and cheesy crackers
Meal4: poptarts w/ pb
Meal5: ramen and idahoan (or double ramen if idahoan are really expensive at resupply)
Snacks: little debbie cosmic brownies, quaker chewy granola bars

RangerZ
02-23-2017, 16:19
Cashews + dried fruit + dark choc M&M's = gorp I can eat all day long
PB or other nut butter + tortillas + dried fruit = lunch or dinner
+1 on fig newtons, various bars, lots of cheese (mmmmmm), combos, etc.
Tuna packets + cheese + mayo packets + tortilla = another good lunch
jerky + cheese + crackers = lunch or dinner
Granola or muesli eaten cold = breakfast, I usually add nuts and fruit
When leaving town I like to bring fresh hummus, a fresh cucumber, and some flat bread for lunch. Love me some hummus. :)
Another good leaving town lunch is a big Subway sandwich loaded with veggies.

I can get dehydrated hummus from the local coop. I rehydrate it at breakfast for lunch. I typically eat it with tortilla, pita or Ritz crackers.

Praha4
02-23-2017, 16:49
these days you can resupply pretty well along the AT. I never use drop boxes any more on the AT.

Dollar General stores in almost every town... many have Walmart and/or grocery stores

many have small country grocery stores

not to mention all the gas station/convenience stores

there are a few "longer" sections (e.g. Smokies) and parts of VA and ME, where you might have to carry extra food, but nothing all that bad, depending on your daily mileage.

Hayden Wilson
02-23-2017, 17:20
When thinking of not cooking, most people limit themselves to the items like peanut butter (not knocking it...I eat it as well) and food bars. However, the noncook choices are probably greater than the so call cook (which is usually just heating and hydration) choices. I seldom eat at a diner or deli without ordering something to carry out for that evening or the next day. Especially on the AT, this happens a lot. Get an extra Egg McMuffin, or a grinder, or a burger, or two or three grilled cheese sandwiches. I never, really never, eat pizza without either having them wrap a second one or using my own gallon ziplocks. The after restaurant choices can go on and on. I agree with all of the items listed by earlier posters. I will just throw in a few more. A solid staple for most is cheese. I prefer cheddar, even if it does tend to separate into oil and cheese in hot weather. Individual tuna and salmon are on most peoples trail food list, but there are also individual packets of spam and other items. I will carry almost any kind of chip, whether regular potato chips, tortilla, cheetos, or Gardidtos, just whatever suits me at the time. I does not matter if they are crushed. That's one reason you carry a spoon. It still tastes the same. Who doesn't like Nutella? Unlike Snickers bars, you can eat Nutella morning, noon, and night even the sweltering heat of the midsummer AT. Bagels are a staple, whether plain for an evening sandwich, or sweet for breakfast. You know those big 400-500 calorie muffins that are sold individually in most quick stops or in the supermarket deli in four or six packs. No one should eat those bellybuilders at home, but I love them on the trail. Same goes for the Ugly honeybun by Apple Bakery in Salisbury, NC. You can only find them on the southern AT, but they are what real honeybuns taste like! Rack up another 4-500 hundred calories of bellybuilding goodness.
If I am in a motel and have access to a large market, I will buy hard sliced salami, provolone cheese, horseradish sauce, and soft flour tortillas and make individual wraps for each evening until my next resupply. This is one of my favorites, but requires a place to spread things out, put them together and wrap them in plastic wrap and zip locks. Even if that sounds disgusting to you, the possibilities are limited only to your preferences. I am fortunate in that I simply like sandwich type foods. I know many others who need a hot meal each night. One of the great things about the trail is that you can do it your way and let everyone else do it their way. YMMV

Venchka
02-23-2017, 17:31
Nido Whole Milk Powder, Instant Breakfast, Protein Powder, instant coffee, cold water, shake it up. Anytime of the day or night.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jj dont play
02-24-2017, 02:03
I went no cook after HF.
Cheese, humus, bagels, English muffins, peanut butter, tortillas, pepperoni, salami, summer sausage, oatmeal (ate a ton of brown sugar cinnamon straight out the pack, pour in mouth then take a swig of water), dark chocolate, protein bars, protein bars, and protein bars
You just eat the things most eat for lunch for supper also. Then pig out when you hit town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
02-24-2017, 06:53
never seen small portions of nido at the store.

Thom

garlic08
02-24-2017, 09:11
My worst resupply on the AT was a C-store that only had hot dog buns and peanut butter, and that's what I ate for two days and it worked out fine. I can usually find a stack of tortillas and a package of cheese, some fig newtons. At every real grocery store I stock up on rolled oats, nuts and raisins for muesli--if I have that, I'm real happy. I try to pick up something fresh for every day, if only a carrot or pepper (if it's not berry season).

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 10:51
My worst resupply on the AT was a C-store that only had hot dog buns and peanut butter, and that's what I ate for two days and it worked out fine. I can usually find a stack of tortillas and a package of cheese, some fig newtons. At every real grocery store I stock up on rolled oats, nuts and raisins for muesli--if I have that, I'm real happy. I try to pick up something fresh for every day, if only a carrot or pepper (if it's not berry season).

Firefighters can survive on acorns and pine needles if they wanted for two days. No surprise you probably loved it for it's simplicity as a Luddite.:D

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 11:08
If You only buy food at stores along the AT . What items do you use ? Things you eat regularly .

Help Thom

One of the keys for cooking food but especially for non cook resupply is diversifying options and adaptability.

Lots of foods can be eaten without cooking to high temps beyond the tortilla wraps. Although when I do go no cook I balance out the cookpot, stove, and fuel wt loss with adding more dense produce and growing trail sprouts. Fresh sprouts added to a tortilla wrap introduces added nutrients that are habitually lacking in non cook highly refined highly processed selections.

Here's another approach rather than making food into only a duality of choices - no cook or cook. Don't bring along a stove or fuel saving wt but bring along a 2-3 oz mug or cook pot with a plastic spork/spoon. Mainly go no cook but don't "burn" your bridges to cooked food. Warm up soup or something warmed occasionally over a SMALL contained twig heated fire.

We say no cook but warmed in the sun can make a huge difference psychologically compared to eating the same food cold.

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 11:11
Hayden has me thinking wasabi paste made from wasabi powder or horseradish now for wraps.