PDA

View Full Version : Pack dilema for PCT

A-Train
01-23-2006, 17:07
Ok, so I would love some opinions/input. I've got just about 100 days before I start the PCT and I need a new pack, as my MS Ghost is fairly uncomfortable, doesn't carry over 30lbs well and is on the small side for capacity.

Basically I think I've narrowed it to either the ULA Catalyst (or Circuit) or the Granite Gear Ozone. My base weight is usually between 10-12 lbs depending on some fine tuning, but probably around 12 for the PCT. I figure with 5 day stretches of resupply (or 9 thru the Sierras) and possibly hauling 6-7 liters of water I could be around 35 lbs at a max, but more likely around 25-30 most of the time. I've heard tons of praise for the Vapor Trail, but i tried it on at the outfitter I work at, and thought it was fairly uncomfortable as it got loaded up.

I tried the Ozone and thought it felt real comfortable, despite not liking the no compartments and crappy water bottle pockets. Obviously I haven't tried the ULA since I don't have the ability to do so, other than going by reviews of the P2 which everyone seemed to love. Here is the dilema: I've got good amount of store credit at a few shops who sell the Ozone, where I could get it for around 60 bucks which is great. It is really that much more worth it to buy the ULA pack for 225 bucks? I know its a well made pack made by a really small company, but this price seems really steep for a sub 3 lb pack. What would you all do?? Thanks

Sly
01-23-2006, 17:15
Tough call. I'm not sure of the turn-around time but you may be able to order a ULA in Agua Dulce, and pick it up at Kennedy Meadows, if the Ozone doesn't work out.

With the improvements in the Circuit over the P-2 it has to be an awesome pack.

neo
01-23-2006, 17:16
Ok, so I would love some opinions/input. I've got just about 100 days before I start the PCT and I need a new pack, as my MS Ghost is fairly uncomfortable, doesn't carry over 30lbs well and is on the small side for capacity.

Basically I think I've narrowed it to either the ULA Catalyst (or Circuit) or the Granite Gear Ozone. My base weight is usually between 10-12 lbs depending on some fine tuning, but probably around 12 for the PCT. I figure with 5 day stretches of resupply (or 9 thru the Sierras) and possibly hauling 6-7 liters of water I could be around 35 lbs at a max, but more likely around 25-30 most of the time. I've heard tons of praise for the Vapor Trail, but i tried it on at the outfitter I work at, and thought it was fairly uncomfortable as it got loaded up.

I tried the Ozone and thought it felt real comfortable, despite not liking the no compartments and crappy water bottle pockets. Obviously I haven't tried the ULA since I don't have the ability to do so, other than going by reviews of the P2 which everyone seemed to love. Here is the dilema: I've got good amount of store credit at a few shops who sell the Ozone, where I could get it for around 60 bucks which is great. It is really that much more worth it to buy the ULA pack for 225 bucks? I know its a well made pack made by a really small company, but this price seems really steep for a sub 3 lb pack. What would you all do?? Thanks

i love this pack,i carry this on long hikes:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6054&c=665&userid=3462

http://www.gearforadventure.com/equinox_katahdin.htm

chris
01-24-2006, 11:47
The Catalyst is the end version of the prototype that I tested last summer and I loved it alot. It is the pack that I would take on the PCT, even though it weighs more than normal. Simply put, it is the best pack I've ever used. That being said, I already own it. For $60, the Ozone is a great deal it seems. If you get it, I'm sure you'll like it. If I had no packs, I'd probably spend the $60 on the Ozone for the PCT and save the extra cash for towns.

I hiked the PCT with a 19 oz frameless ULA (the Zenith). Sure, it was a real pig coming out of Kennedy Meadows. And it was a pig when I had 7.2 L of water on my back. But mostly it was just fine and I was quite happy with it.

vipahman
01-24-2006, 19:31
I tried the Vapor Trail and loved the fit. I hated the lower compression strap because it goes over the side pockets and the lack of a back pocket. Ozone is slightly wider and tougher but has the same issues. If you can live with one big hole for all your stuff, they are great packs. Since you are looking at store credit, try the Nimbus Latitude. It's a panel loader, 3 lbs 8 oz and great access (or so they say).

jasonklass
01-24-2006, 20:36
I have the P-2 (now called the Catalyst) and it's the most comfortable pack I've ever used. I haven't done a thru hike with it but if I were I would want that comfort. Plus, the hip belt pockets are great for easy access to things you'll need on the trail as are all the external mesh pockets. The Granite Gear bags have a huge extenstion collar that makes it difficult to dig things out of the pack. I wouldn't want to deal with that everytime I wanted to get something from inside. Plus, the side pockets are a joke. The side pockets on the ULA packs are great and you can easily reach back to get your water bottle because the are slanted.

If I were you, I'd spend the money and get the ULA pack. If you don't like it, you can return it and go use your store credit to buy the Ozone.

Ridge
01-24-2006, 20:41
I always suggest to hikers to trail test their new gear or break in boots before any long hike. It makes for a much better trip.

ndwoods
01-27-2006, 16:00
If you didn't like the granite gear totally in the store you will hate it on the trail. I would order the ULA and try it! If you like it then the money will be well worth it!!! I have the P-2 and have loved it for several seasons. I have thought of getting the circuit to cut half a pound....we'll see....
By the way, the Circuit being what I would be interested in next is only $175.
dee

Kerosene
01-27-2006, 17:12
While I would love to try out the Catalyst, I'm afraid that the Nimbus Ozone looks pretty good to me at $60 net. It rides very well at 35 pounds, although it's certainly more comfortable below 30. Get The Lid to give yourself a secure pocket. If you really dislike the side compression strap arrangement then you might consider cutting a small hole in the fabric and routing the straps inside the pockets. I'm not sure if you'd want to whipstitch the holes or not.

Diomede
02-04-2006, 02:38
For about the same volume and weight you can get an Osprey Aether 60, and I just so happen to be selling one (I prefer my frameless Aether 45 and don't need the bigger pack). Interested? Definately way below retail, especially now that they have redesigned them...

vipahman
02-04-2006, 12:57
Nimbus Ozone short torso is selling for $110 at Campmor.

Squeaky 2
02-04-2006, 13:54
defenately check out ula, the P1 looks perfect for a pct thru with that sort of basewieght

Weldman
02-13-2006, 17:57
A-Train,

If you know how to sew or someone else, how about making your own Gossamar G4 4400 pack . It supports 20-30 lbs but you could reinforce it up some may not come out to 12oz( 14-16oz? Reinforced)

http://www.gvpgear.com/

Mike