PDA

View Full Version : Not Ultralight, but not Ultraexpensive, 12lb for around $300.

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 02:04
Under 7lbs for the big three. Gear snobs will likely toss their cookies, but I've used this setup before and have been comfortable. It's functional. I'm not super happy with the sleeping bag, it's OK for 45~50 degree nights. Colder/wetter and I will carry a heavier synthetic bag for an extra 1.5lb penalty.

Most of this stuff I have caught on sale somewhere online. It's a waiting game to get good deals, but it can pay off.

No, I am not saying anything about how fantastic any of this gear is, just that it is very serviceable, lightweight and low cost... and probably more durable than lighter alternatives in many cases.

And there are a couple of things I've left out, like bug netting, but oh well.

https://lighterpack.com/r/1j5***

Feral Bill
02-23-2017, 02:07
Not showing up. I'm interested.

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 02:09
OK, this is really dumb!

The link ends with w t f and it automatically edits it to ***..... grrrr!

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 02:10
Wow, this really takes my breath away! W T F!

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 02:25
Annnnd.....

When the image pops up, click on it and you should get a version large enough to read. Apologies in advance to mobile users!

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 02:49
https://lighterpack.com/r/fd1161

I might look like less of an idiot if I could edit my posts, use HTML or DIV tags.

At least this link works!

Maineiac64
02-23-2017, 07:45
Pretty awesome and efficient use of funds. Very light and tight kit.

garlic08
02-23-2017, 09:06
Yes, well done. For future consideration, subscribe to Gossamer Gear. Their packs often go on sale. I got my G4 for $80. Also subscribe to Steepandcheap. I found my Marmot Helium bag for just over $200, and that's seriously good for 15F. The Tarptent Protrail may be the best deal in UL shelters, in my opinion. My AT kit, good to 15F, cost me $750 and weighed under ten pounds.

ggreaves
02-23-2017, 10:34
nice job. save yourself about 6 oz by using a polycryo groundsheet instead of silnylon. don't forget a spoon. also I'd take a few more stakes so you can batten down the hatches when you need to.

CalebJ
02-23-2017, 10:39
Good job on that list. Looks like you thought through things very well as you went. The ground cloth and sleeping pad are the only places that jump out as -maybe- being possible options to save a couple more dollars and ounces. A basic blue foam pad has a bit less insulating value but would be plenty for 3 season use. Trim it to fit inside the sleeping bag and you're out the door for ~9 ounces and $10.

ScareBear
02-23-2017, 10:40
For the prices you paid, you've done well. I'm not a tarper, so this rig would never work for me. Also, I am suspicious of the rating on your bag for the weight and price...very suspicious...I am guessing it is a 45 degree bag, at best.

But, it's a cool weight to dollar ratio!

Hikingjim
02-23-2017, 11:00
If you can find a cheap pack that is comfortable, then a warm weather setup does not have to be expensive at all to have a decent base weight. You did a particular good job finding great discounted prices!

HooKooDooKu
02-23-2017, 11:15
Try this link
https://lighterpack.com/r/1j5wt%66

TTT
02-23-2017, 13:26
add one more pair of socks :)

CalebJ
02-23-2017, 14:09
Why? Presumably he's wearing one pair and those are in the pack.

TTT
02-23-2017, 14:24
He hasn't identified what he will be wearing. For all I know he could be carrying a brick in his pocket. But yeah, I get it, Thanks

Smithereens
02-23-2017, 15:35
He hasn't identified what he will be wearing. For all I know he could be carrying a brick in his pocket. But yeah, I get it, Thanks

White Sierra convertible pants ($24- sale @ Sunny Sports), Hanes wicking T shirt (freebie from work- really nice!), Russel poly sports undies ($?), dress socks from Wally and New Balance trail runners ($25 sale @ Amazon). And a boonie hat. Couldnt tell you the weights on any of it. ...

Hmmm, didn't add my Outdoor Products hiking poles either, but I use those almost all the time so they are in my hands, not part of the pack.

Dogwood
02-23-2017, 16:22
Gets you out there. Example of going lighter wt does not necessarily have to cost a bundle. Garlic gave another example.

Have to question this:

AEGISMAX Outdoor Urltra-Light 95% Goose Down Sleeping Bag Three-Season Down Sleeping Bag Mummy Down Sleeping Bag/Blue/Black/200cm86cm
If you can't spell UL correctly in advertising that's an immediate red flag.:)

FWIW, when I see no EN temp ratings, description of how the temp rating is derived, and not only what kind but how much fill/down is specked in sleeping bags or quilts I take that as a crap shoot as far as in the field temp rating. EN ratings are no absolute panacea for accurate temp ratings but at least I have some third party testing standards to compare bags and quilts. Quilts are another crap shoot since they aren't EN rated for the vast majority. This leaves me having to first get and then ascertain temp ratings for myself. making it more difficult to make apples to apples comparisons.

Another Kevin
02-23-2017, 17:23
A cheap and ultralight gear list, that doesn't quite fit my personal style, but looks entirely workable:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf

Except that he's left out the trowel. Get one from Qi Wiz. Less than an ounce. $30-40. Or the plastic Fiskars trowel (https://www.constructiongear.com/fiskars-7978-reinforced-plastic-trowel.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=94694142042&gclid=CjwKEAiArbrFBRDL4Oiz97GP2nISJAAmJMFa8b-Qr2hyMibOt1lzt9Uege9VWnexyppusX8dWtnihBoCDcvw_wcB) , a couple of ounces and $3. In any case, bring a trowel. Please.

MtDoraDave
02-23-2017, 18:31
I bought the Jansport katahdin 60 liter pack a couple years ago on sale for $60 from campmor and it has worked out well for me. Not perfect, but acceptable considering the cost difference for a lighter, better pack.
Main complaint is the waist band loosens itself as I walk. Constant re-snugging has become part of my hiking routine.

gracebowen
02-24-2017, 00:52
Another Kevin i like that list.

shelb
02-24-2017, 01:50
White Sierra convertible pants ($24- sale @ Sunny Sports), Hanes wicking T shirt (freebie from work- really nice!), Russel poly sports undies ($?), dress socks from Wally and New Balance trail runners ($25 sale @ Amazon). And a boonie hat. Couldnt tell you the weights on any of it. ...

Hmmm, didn't add my Outdoor Products hiking poles either, but I use those almost all the time so they are in my hands, not part of the pack.

Another fun - and gratifying way - to look at weight is "skin out." (How much does ALL your equipment way - including that which you will wear as well as what you will carry!)

Last year, I was gratified to find out that the difference between me in my birthday suit and me in my hiking clothes with poles, pack, 4 days of food, and one day of water... was just 26 pounds....

However, I am still trying to get that Skin Out Weight of 26pounds down...! lol

Smithereens
02-24-2017, 03:41
I'm gonna be out there if I have to crawl! :banana But reducing the weight also reduces the likelihood that I will resort to crawling....

The bag seems to be drawing some attention. I figured it wasn't gong to be much, I was mildly surprised when I got it though. It packs very small, it's light, it converts to a topquilt with a footbox (3/4 length zipper), the baffels are well filled and it is actually fairly warm. The materials are really nice too. It isn't 35 F warm like it claims, the sewn through baffles ruin that right off the bat. But as a summer weight bag.... not too bad. I can stay pretty comfy at 50F and I'm a cold sleeper. I need more backyard time before I commit to sleeping under a tarp in it at elevation, till then I'm carrying my 2lb12oz Suisse Sport synthetic bag. I've used that one into the low 30's during very windy, wet and stormy conditions. It's getting kinda long of tooth though...

Gets you out there. Example of going lighter wt does not necessarily have to cost a bundle. Garlic gave another example.

Have to question this:

AEGISMAX Outdoor Urltra-Light 95% Goose Down Sleeping Bag Three-Season Down Sleeping Bag Mummy Down Sleeping Bag/Blue/Black/200cm86cm

If you can't spell UL correctly in advertising that's an immediate red flag.:)

FWIW, when I see no EN temp ratings, description of how the temp rating is derived, and not only what kind but how much fill/down is specked in sleeping bags or quilts I take that as a crap shoot as far as in the field temp rating. EN ratings are no absolute panacea for accurate temp ratings but at least I have some third party testing standards to compare bags and quilts. Quilts are another crap shoot since they aren't EN rated for the vast majority. This leaves me having to first get and then ascertain temp ratings for myself. making it more difficult to make apples to apples comparisons.

Smithereens
02-24-2017, 03:55
That actually sounds like a fun challenge. I'm pretty sure I can match the weight and level of discomfort of that loadout!

A cheap and ultralight gear list, that doesn't quite fit my personal style, but looks entirely workable:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf

Except that he's left out the trowel. Get one from Qi Wiz. Less than an ounce. $30-40. Or the plastic Fiskars trowel (https://www.constructiongear.com/fiskars-7978-reinforced-plastic-trowel.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=94694142042&gclid=CjwKEAiArbrFBRDL4Oiz97GP2nISJAAmJMFa8b-Qr2hyMibOt1lzt9Uege9VWnexyppusX8dWtnihBoCDcvw_wcB) , a couple of ounces and $3. In any case, bring a trowel. Please.

JC13
02-24-2017, 09:32
I'm gonna be out there if I have to crawl! :banana But reducing the weight also reduces the likelihood that I will resort to crawling....

The bag seems to be drawing some attention. I figured it wasn't gong to be much, I was mildly surprised when I got it though. It packs very small, it's light, it converts to a topquilt with a footbox (3/4 length zipper), the baffels are well filled and it is actually fairly warm. The materials are really nice too. It isn't 35 F warm like it claims, the sewn through baffles ruin that right off the bat. But as a summer weight bag.... not too bad. I can stay pretty comfy at 50F and I'm a cold sleeper. I need more backyard time before I commit to sleeping under a tarp in it at elevation, till then I'm carrying my 2lb12oz Suisse Sport synthetic bag. I've used that one into the low 30's during very windy, wet and stormy conditions. It's getting kinda long of tooth though...Thanks for sharing that as I was going to ask if you had tried it out. I was thinking at 18oz it wasn't too shabby for a 50* bag at $70. AN EE Revelation APEX was going to set me back $165 for 11 oz in a 50*. I think I may pull the trigger on the AEGISMAX. Saves me 8 oz over my current 50* bag.

cmoulder
02-24-2017, 10:30
Thanks for sharing that as I was going to ask if you had tried it out. I was thinking at 18oz it wasn't too shabby for a 50* bag at $70. AN EE Revelation APEX was going to set me back $165 for 11 oz in a 50*. I think I may pull the trigger on the AEGISMAX. Saves me 8 oz over my current 50* bag.

Other factors aside, the synthetic vs down consideration makes a difference when humidity and rain are issues. I have a Prodigy 40 (now called Rev Apex) and it has performed superbly in conditions that would have rendered a down quilt utterly useless.

JC13
02-24-2017, 10:34
Other factors aside, the synthetic vs down consideration makes a difference when humidity and rain are issues. I have a Prodigy 40 (now called Rev Apex) and it has performed superbly in conditions that would have rendered a down quilt utterly useless.Understandable, trying to minimize weight that I may not even end up using. During our section last July, I actually got inside the synthetic bag once. Every other night I was in running shorts, one night I needed to put on sleep socks and was golden after. Going through GSMNP this year so with the higher elevation profile and the shelter requirement, I'm not exactly sure if I will end up in a bag or not. Originally intended to bring the Dutch argon liner as a "sleeping bag" and forgo a 50* entirely.

Tundracamper
02-24-2017, 11:16
Thanks for posting that! When my wife accuses me of being overly obsessive about something, I can just pull out a copy of this.