PDA

View Full Version : How is NeoAir Xlite (Reg) folded for repacking?

HooKooDooKu
02-23-2017, 11:11
To repack a NeoAir Xlite (Regular), do you fold the pad in half to roll it up or is it a tri-fold.

I own a NeoAir Xlite (Large), and the one thing I dislike about it is the way it packs up is the way you have to tri-fold it before rolling it up. By contrast y Prolite pads simply fold in half to roll up.

But the specifications for the NeoAir Xlite (Regular) have a pack size listed as 9"x4". Seems impossible for a 20" wide pad to simply fold in half and that specification be true.

colorado_rob
02-23-2017, 11:17
I simply fold and roll mine, and yeah, your math works, but is it being 10" long a concern? Sometimes I roll it up full width, then fold the thin roll in half, kind of, more like an arc, seems to stuff nicely down around my sleeping bag this way.

AfterParty
02-23-2017, 11:19
Use a sack that all I have to do is roll mine I think its repurposed tent pole sack. But its a tri fold stock

T-Rx
02-23-2017, 11:33
Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I always tri fold and then roll it and it goes neatly back into the original stuff sack.

saltysack
02-23-2017, 12:04
I simply fold flat as it's my frame for frameless pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
02-23-2017, 12:05
Another needless stuff sack

colorado_rob
02-23-2017, 12:11

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou beat me to it. No need for a stuff sack. Count those ounces. Easy to protect the mattress by using reasonable care when packing. I nearly always simply stuff mine down in my sleeping bag (which also doesn't need a stuff sack). If the mattress is damp, which is rare, I'll put it in my pack's outside mesh pocket.

cmoulder
02-23-2017, 12:49
+1 Of course another vote for no stuff sack (What does it do, anyway??:confused:), and also another reason besides needless weight, which is the hassle and time needed to completely expel the air and fold it neatly and coax it into the barely-large-enough stuff sack. Another reason it takes some people so long to pack up and get on the trail.

HooKooDooKu
02-23-2017, 12:52
Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I always tri fold and then roll it and it goes neatly back into the original stuff sack.
So you have the 'Regular' size and NOT the 'Large' and you have to tri fold to get it back in the stuff sack? (Just double checking).

I'm asking (and double checking) because I am considering getting my son a NeoAir Xlite. He currently uses the Prolite, but he simply doesn't have the strength to get it rolled up tight enough to return it to the stuff sack. I figured the NeoAir would be easier for him to handle it (so that it's one less thing that I have to do in the morning when we go camping).

But if it's a hassle because it too (like the large) has to be tri-folded, I might consider going for an even easier solution... the Z-Rest (just a whole lot more bulkier).

Well, in addition to the stuff sack offering some protection... I also use it for organization.
I my case, the stuff sack contains the repair kit, the pad, pillow, and the sack I use to inflate the pad.

My 1st NeoAir experienced delamination of the baffles from the moisture of my breath. So I try to minimize blowing into the pad. Instead, got the Air Tap (https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/neoair-airtap-pump) and use it with a thin trash bag to do most of the inflating.

TTT
02-23-2017, 13:18
I've just ordered the NeoAir Xlite (large) so interested to see the opinions of others. Apparently all airbags accumulate mold inside of them after a while, so using a pump is one way to avoid swallowing a few spores.

bigcranky
02-23-2017, 13:48
I tri-fold my regular Neoair Xlite. I do have a stuff sack for it, and the stuff sack is plenty large enough, no effort needed to get the pad in the sack. I do understand the "no stuff sack" crowd, though.

T-Rx
02-23-2017, 16:44
Hookoo, I have the large & my wife uses the regular. We both tri fold, roll & return to original stuff sack. I understand the no stuff sack idea but I'm just to damn OCD for that!

Dogwood
02-23-2017, 16:47
Those packed measurements are based on folding in half length wise then rolling up neatly from the foot end to the nozzle end leaving the nozzle open as you roll it up. I pre almost entirely deflate before rolling up. The nozzle rec helps condense the volume of the rolled pad. After the pad is tightly rolled tighten nozzle closed.

Most of my Neo's are used for a virtual suspension/frame in frameless rucksack type backpacks so I fold 3 to 5 times differently based on if using a Shortie, Womans, or rarely a full size but when having one that is rolled as you want and as described a rubber band does the job of holding it together with the combined nozzle closed

saltysack
02-23-2017, 16:54
So you have the 'Regular' size and NOT the 'Large' and you have to tri fold to get it back in the stuff sack? (Just double checking).

I'm asking (and double checking) because I am considering getting my son a NeoAir Xlite. He currently uses the Prolite, but he simply doesn't have the strength to get it rolled up tight enough to return it to the stuff sack. I figured the NeoAir would be easier for him to handle it (so that it's one less thing that I have to do in the morning when we go camping).

But if it's a hassle because it too (like the large) has to be tri-folded, I might consider going for an even easier solution... the Z-Rest (just a whole lot more bulkier).

Well, in addition to the stuff sack offering some protection... I also use it for organization.
I my case, the stuff sack contains the repair kit, the pad, pillow, and the sack I use to inflate the pad.

My 1st NeoAir experienced delamination of the baffles from the moisture of my breath. So I try to minimize blowing into the pad. Instead, got the Air Tap (https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/neoair-airtap-pump) and use it with a thin trash bag to do most of the inflating.

They all delaminate over time...I've had a few...even guys at CD told me it's fine to simply blow up by mouth...I tried the pump sack and compactor bag. I find it easier to blow up by mouth....pillow simply goes in sleeping bag in compactor bag and repair kit in first aid kit....+1 for the cut down zlite for a kid....so much easier....

saltysack
02-23-2017, 16:55
I've just ordered the NeoAir Xlite (large) so interested to see the opinions of others. Apparently all airbags accumulate mold inside of them after a while, so using a pump is one way to avoid swallowing a few spores.

Your supposed to blow not suck.......no pun intended!!![emoji23]

Dogwood
02-23-2017, 17:24
The delam of the baffle pleats was more an issue on the earliest Neo Air versions. I had two that CD replaced freely without charge but that's going back a couple of yrs. It may be as said but I think the baffle seam pleats deconstructing was caused by more than wet warm air blown into the mattress.

Sandy of PA
02-23-2017, 21:28
I tri-fold my large(shortened) Neo-air and place it in a Big Agnes pump sack for protection, then they are always together for blowing it up.

Kaptainkriz
02-23-2017, 22:00
I do not fold mine and simply roll skinny and slide in my pack vertically. I find it uses space more efficiently in my pack that way. To fit in original sack is a tri fold. It will fit in the pump sack with no fold.

Malto
02-23-2017, 22:07
I simply fold flat as it's my frame for frameless pack

yup, this is what I do as well. Put a bit on air in it and it is incredibly comfortable. Too much work to fold, roll and/or stuff.

MuddyWaters
02-23-2017, 22:23
You can fold it any way you like.....

If yous wants to put in the dainty little stuffsak, it takes thirds, thats da way it fits, short and fatter.

Way too much trouble

Fold in half, roll up, close valve,stick rubber band around, done.

cmoulder
02-23-2017, 22:32
How does a stuff sack protect it (and from what) when it's inside your pack? Sometimes I think people do things simply because that's the way it has always been done.

Rise up and free yourself from the chains of stuff-sackery! :D

Don H
02-24-2017, 08:58
The delam of the baffle pleats was more an issue on the earliest Neo Air versions. I had two that CD replaced freely without charge but that's going back a couple of yrs. It may be as said but I think the baffle seam pleats deconstructing was caused by more than wet warm air blown into the mattress.

I sent a Neo back for baffle delam two weeks ago. We'll see if they're still replacing them under warrantee.

HooKooDooKu
02-24-2017, 09:54
I sent a Neo back for baffle delam two weeks ago. We'll see if they're still replacing them under warrantee.
They come with a Lifetime Warranty so I don't see why not (however the warranty states that if they replace a product more than 2 years after its manufacture date, the replacement might be a cosmetically irregular).

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 10:01
I'm sure in some inventories there are old Neoair versions. Regardless, the Neo Air is a UL/SUL inflatable pad needing TLC. Plopping down heavily on it especially near the ends can put added pressure on pleat seams. I don't know if that's what happened to you Don. Just offering that up for possible consideration. I do agree with HKDK though. If pleat seams are delaminating CD should warranty the product or add clear disclaimers to the outside packaging.

CalebJ
02-24-2017, 10:09
Seam delam seems to be a common complaint on the SynMat Hyperlite as well. I just ordered one of them yesterday since STP has them at $100 ($75 after coupon). For roughly the same specs as an XLite (aside from longitudinal baffles) it was hard to turn down. Hopefully they've improved the design and/or handle warranty repairs efficiently.

colorado_rob
02-24-2017, 10:16
... Rise up and free yourself from the chains of stuff-sackery! :D LOL! Love that one. But of course, PYOP.

cmoulder
02-24-2017, 10:16
I don't inflate them too firmly because usually I end up letting air out anyway. Just seems to put less stress on the whole shebang when it bottoms out while I'm sitting on it and conforms to body contours better when lying on it.

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 10:35
Seam delam seems to be a common complaint on the SynMat Hyperlite as well. I just ordered one of them yesterday since STP has them at $100 ($75 after coupon). For roughly the same specs as an XLite (aside from longitudinal baffles) it was hard to turn down. Hopefully they've improved the design and/or handle warranty repairs efficiently.

Since it's blown up with a pump my assumption is that it gets even less warm moist breath than the NeoAir so it's my assumption pleat seam delam isn't caused just by that. In the never ending UL quest to claim the lowest inflatable wt pad product on the market I wonder how it plays in the design and individual usage experiences.

As repeatedly pointed out by ULers UL/SUL gear most often demands extra TLC and considerations.

Dogwood
02-24-2017, 10:40
I don't inflate them too firmly because usually I end up letting air out anyway. Just seems to put less stress on the whole shebang when it bottoms out while I'm sitting on it and conforms to body contours better when lying on it.

Me too. Then, never stand or heavily plop down on it.

Caleb that was a good alternative inflatable pad saving some do re mi. Wish they had a similar NeoAir Shortie or Neo Air Woman's size at a similar wt.

CalebJ
02-24-2017, 11:01
STP does have the Neo Air Women's for $120, but coupons don't apply.

Don H
02-24-2017, 14:08
They come with a Lifetime Warranty so I don't see why not (however the warranty states that if they replace a product more than 2 years after its manufacture date, the replacement might be a cosmetically irregular).

Well the FedX truck just delivered a brand new (not an irregular) Neo XLite, in the box with the stuff sack and patch kit 3 weeks after I sent the old one back.

I'd consider that excellent customer service. Thanks Cascade Designs!

Dogwood, I don't think the baffle delimitation was from plopping down on the pad. My SMD Lunar Solo tent doesn't have enough room for plopping.

HooKooDooKu
02-24-2017, 17:49
Well I decided to pull the trigger an buy a last-year's model NeoAir Xlite (Regular) for $100.77.
It's in the Campsaver.com Outlet, and you just need to use coupon code OUTLET20.
http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad
At the moment I posted this, they had about 9 left in stock.

Dogwood
02-25-2017, 02:23
Don H is no plopper. :D

Glad it worked out for you. Fed Ex hey?

Franco
02-25-2017, 18:18
With my mats I first roll them up without folding them with the valve open.Then I close the valve, roll it out again , fold them in half , roll up and open the valve up as I roll the last turn or two. Takes about a minute to do.

Venchka
02-25-2017, 22:42
With my mats I first roll them up without folding them with the valve open.Then I close the valve, roll it out again , fold them in half , roll up and open the valve up as I roll the last turn or two. Takes about a minute to do.

Yep. It takes two rolls to expel the air. Then my Xtherm Large drops right in the stuff sack.
Give up the stuff sack hey? I'll ponder that.
Wayne

saltysack
02-26-2017, 00:23
Yep. It takes two rolls to expel the air. Then my Xtherm Large drops right in the stuff sack.
Give up the stuff sack hey? I'll ponder that.
Wayne

What purpose does that sack serve?

MuddyWaters
02-26-2017, 00:39
Yep. It takes two rolls to expel the air.

Takes me one

ScareBear
02-26-2017, 00:43

As a container to store the pad in?

MuddyWaters
02-26-2017, 01:00

Why put a pad in a sack?

Other than being type A that is..

cmoulder
02-26-2017, 07:20

There's already a large container for that — the backpack! :-?

saltysack
02-26-2017, 09:31
There's already a large container for that — the backpack! :-?

[emoji106]

Don H
02-26-2017, 10:03
Don H is no plopper. :D

It's more of a kneel, pivot and roll maneuver.

Dogwood
02-26-2017, 11:33
STP does have the Neo Air Women's for $120, but coupons don't apply.

Remember the now discontinued pink or lavender Cascade Designs Woman's inflatable pads? Some had rather gaudy flowers prints. I gave one of my hiking friends such grief over using that inflatable pad. Then, he told me why he used it. It was warmer(higher R Value), lighter wt, and sized between the shortest length and full size length models than the unisex or men's models. Perfect for him at 6'6" who slept in a side fetal position. I harassed him so much that he sprayed his black though. When CD came out with the yellow Woman's version the UL/lighter wt specs were too over whelming for me to ignore anymore. Now I have two. One with faint flower prints. :D And, you know what? Suits my sleeping and UL inflatable pad goals extremely well.

Venchka
02-26-2017, 11:52

Makes a nice small package in my pack.
I said I was pondering doing away with it. I will depend on which pack I use or if I buy a new pack.
Wayne

Venchka
02-26-2017, 12:28
Makes a nice small package in my pack.
I said I was pondering doing away with it. I will depend on which pack I use or if I buy a new pack.
Wayne

Am I allowed 2 rubber bands, less than 1 gram total-they don't register any weight on my digital scale, to keep my Xtherm rolled up for packing?
Thanks. An ounce or 2 saved for free.
Wayne

Venchka
02-26-2017, 16:06
Am I allowed 2 rubber bands, less than 1 gram total-they don't register any weight on my digital scale, to keep my Xtherm rolled up for packing?
Thanks. An ounce or 2 saved for free.
Wayne

"The Horror"
1.5 ounces actually. An extra day's ration of Krave Jerky. If I keep going through my pack like this I might get to a quarter pound.
2 weeks on a trail might be possible after all.
Wayne

QiWiz
03-01-2017, 11:25
I find it more convenient to roll it up unfolded from bottom to top, and then fold the roll in half and secure it with a thick rubber band. This is just easier than folding in half or thirds first IMO. This has not caused any problems over many days/nights of use.