PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of finishing the AT in Maine as a section hiker

Gambit McCrae
02-24-2017, 10:40
Although it is a few years away, I am having some anxiety about the logistics of the last trip to complete the AT in Maine. Lets say starting the last trip at the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness, and heading north is it as easy (not speaking of physical easy, logistically easy), as finishing in Georgia? As in just walk the miles and summit and walk back down? I have this feeling that after walking over abol, I know nothing about what is expected of me from the park, what I need to do permit wise, where I can tent or sleep, and that there is a possibility that I could be turned away. If some folks could just give a brief walk through of at what point, preplanning/permits/ planning ahead needs to happen in order to finish this last trip successfully it would help me out.

Declaimer: This is not in any way going to be a debate of BSP rules and regs - I have read their announcement for the permit system, and like others, did not fully understand. I just want a description or a step by step of what is expected of me in order to follow the rules, and finish the hike. I also understand that in 2 years this expectation could change. Hopefully there are others in the same boat of just "not knowing" what they need to do on this last hike. Thanks in advance

chiefduffy
02-24-2017, 10:51
Take my word for it, its not as bad as it sounds. Might require a little planning or flexibility when you get there, but thousands do it every year, regardless of changing regs and rules. The rangers in Baxter are friendly, accommodating, and enthusiastic about their wilderness, and will help you make it work. Of course, they get overwhelmed and tired by autumn, but I have never heard of a ranger not working to help a hiker who is willing to cooperate.

colorado_rob
02-24-2017, 10:58
Not having read the new rules very closely yet, a backup plan is always simply to hike to the ranger station, grab the daily afternoon AT lodge shuttle into Millinocket, come back on the next early-morning's shuttle, climb/finish, take the afternoon shuttle back. Is it not that butt-simple? Am I missing a point? This all assumes BSP thru-camping permits have run out, etc. Or just do the whole shebang from ABOL. Not that epic, easy-peasy extra 20 miles (right?)

peakbagger
02-24-2017, 11:14
Thee best advice is don't worry about it. There will probably be revisions to the rules every year as the numbers vary.

MATC has a very good summary

https://www.matc.org/for-hikers/katahdin-thru-hiker-alert/

What do you need to know that is not covered in this ?.

Compared to a GA start or finish its more of a PITA but the major trade off is Katahdin on a good day is unlike any mountain you will climb on the AT. The presidentials in NH are right up there but unfortunately they can be a zoo and the summit development on MT Washington is big disappointment. To make it far less of a PITA call the AT Lodge in Millinocket and have them shuttle you in and head southbound, that's what they do for living and most reviews indicate they are good at it. If you really want to reserve Baxter Peak for last then its best to make reservations in the park and avoid the walk in procedure, that's what the park wants you do and you get to skip the thru hiker drama. Trust me, spending only a day in BSP is probably the biggest bad decision you can make. It takes a couple of days just to visit the south end of the park and you need to factor in a couple of bad weather days just in case. Trying to stuff it all in in one day may make sense for a thruhiker who has been out for five months and on tight budget but a section hiker should already be used to delayed gratification. Book a couple days in the park in mid September using their online reservation system, get a taste of the fall foliage and then maybe swing by Acadia National Park on the way home. I used to drive down south to your back yard for one week sections for about 3 years straight twice a year, its a long haul but if you break it up its not that bad.

illabelle
02-24-2017, 11:24
And if you go to Acadia, do the Beehive Trail! Cool climb with lots of metal rungs, views of the ocean and mountains, but short - only a couple hours.

Gambit McCrae
02-24-2017, 11:29
Thee best advice is don't worry about it. There will probably be revisions to the rules every year as the numbers vary.

MATC has a very good summary

https://www.matc.org/for-hikers/katahdin-thru-hiker-alert/

What do you need to know that is not covered in this ?.

Compared to a GA start or finish its more of a PITA but the major trade off is Katahdin on a good day is unlike any mountain you will climb on the AT. The presidentials in NH are right up there but unfortunately they can be a zoo and the summit development on MT Washington is big disappointment. To make it far less of a PITA call the AT Lodge in Millinocket and have them shuttle you in and head southbound, that's what they do for living and most reviews indicate they are good at it. If you really want to reserve Baxter Peak for last then its best to make reservations in the park and avoid the walk in procedure, that's what the park wants you do and you get to skip the thru hiker drama. Trust me, spending only a day in BSP is probably the biggest bad decision you can make. It takes a couple of days just to visit the south end of the park and you need to factor in a couple of bad weather days just in case. Trying to stuff it all in in one day may make sense for a thruhiker who has been out for five months and on tight budget but a section hiker should already be used to delayed gratification. Book a couple days in the park in mid September using their online reservation system, get a taste of the fall foliage and then maybe swing by Acadia National Park on the way home. I used to drive down south to your back yard for one week sections for about 3 years straight twice a year, its a long haul but if you break it up its not that bad.

Sounds like the last trip of my completion needs to be a 2 week trip, 5-6 days in 100 mile wilderness, 2-3 nights in BSP, maybe rent a car and head over to Acadia etc

peakbagger
02-24-2017, 12:29
The key is mid September if at all possible, there are still tourists around but the leaf season hasn't cranked up and the kiddies are back in school.

5 to 6 days to do the 100 MW is cranking, I expect you will be regretting that pace somewhere around Chairback Gap and really questioning your sanity on Whitecap. After that it levels out and is far easier going.

If you are flying in, you need to arrange a shuttle to Monson from Bangor and then get a shuttle back from AT lodge at end to Bangor. You can rent a car in Bangor and go visit Acadia and the coast then either drive back to Bangor or drive down to Portland. The difference in fares between Bangor and Portland will probably pay for the rental.

rafe
02-24-2017, 12:44
5-6 days from Monson to Abol is doable but a bit optimistic, IMO. Unless you're a finishing nobo thru hiker. It is not extremely difficult terrain, by AT standards, but it has some notable views, fords, lakes.

Yes, give yourself a couple of nights in the park. You never know what the weather might do. BSP has a comprehensive website. Possible the rules may change (again) over the next few years.

fudgefoot
02-24-2017, 13:11
I finished the trail in late July 2015 with the Wilderness and Katahdin as my last section. Below are some considerations I took into account when making my plans:

- Time of year: After the black fly season but before the thru-hiker crush. End of July worked well for me.
- Days of the week: I planned it to summit Katahdin on a weekday, again in hopes of avoiding the crowds
- Food: I wanted to do the Wilderness in traditional fashion so I took 8 days worth. I only needed 6-1/2 days to get to Abol. The pack was a little heavy to start (41 lb) but not too bad.
- Lodging prior to start: I love the breakfasts at Shaws in Monson so made a reservation there well in advance
- Resupply: This is where my plan broke down a bit. I made a reservation well in advance for 2 nights at Abol Bridge campground to give me a little flexibility in case I ran behind my schedule. I called them and asked if they accepted resupply boxes and they said yes and they gave me a Millinocket PO address to send it to. I mailed the box a few days before I left for my hike. When I got to Abol, they told me that they didn't have my box and the reason was that they only go into town to pick up mail once a week. No big deal - I still had some supplies in my food bag and was able to supplement with what they had at the camp store so it all worked out.
- Entering BSP - there was a kiosk just after entering the park where you filled out a registration card. This may be different now with the new system.
- KSC reservations: I reserved a lean-to for 3 nights at KSC well in advance (during the winter I believe) - my expected arrival date plus 2 additional nights in case I was running behind schedule or the weather was bad. I didn't want to plan on using the Birches in case it was full with thru-hikers. Turned out I only needed the 1st night of my lean-to reservation so I told the park to give the next two nights away to someone for free.
- Katahdin summit: I was fortunate to have picture-perfect weather. I made sure I got an early start (~6:00 am - it was still dark) so I arrive on the summit fairly early with only a few other hikers up there. There were tons of day hikers ascending as I went down.
- Post hike lodging: I reserved a spot at the AT Inn in Millinocket for the night. Was able to yogi a ride into town from another hiker I met on the way up Katahdin.

Of course, this was before the new restrictions by BSP went into effect so you need to factor that into your plans as well. The BSP web site should have all the info you need to navigate through this. All-in-all, my hike went super smoothly and I had a great trip with an absolutely awesome summit experience on Katahdin. I wish the same for you.

Good luck in completing your journey!

RockDoc
02-24-2017, 15:04
I've done it in July and in Sept and never had any problems.

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.” -Mark Twain

peakbagger
02-24-2017, 17:23
I think the biggest confusion is the rolling reservation system for a campsite (or leanto). Its spelled out quite clearly on the website

The majority of the campsites are open for reservations 4 months in advance. As of today (2/24) I could book a site for a date not later than June 24th. The easiest way to figure this out is to check this chart http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/camping/ReservationChart.pdf. Looking at the reservations page I see plenty of slots open for Friday and Saturday night at KSC on June 23rd and 24th. Looking at the prior three weekends of June there is plenty of room for south bounders to pick up a spot. Its less than four months before the date so all you need to do to book a spot prior to June 24th is fill in form and pay with credit card on line. major caveat is no refunds unless its something caused by the park. I got chased out when they closed the park once due to a potential hurricane and got a refund. In high snow years when the park opens late they will also make refunds and in general try to accommodate thru hikers who have to book later on when the park opens.

June is potentially real buggy in the park so not a lot of competition except for south bounders at KSC. As the summer progresses the competition for sites increases but usually not a major issues except for weekends (Friday and Saturday night). Sunday and Mondays tend to be the lowest use days for some reason.

There is one weekend in the summer Sept 1st and 2nd where the entire KSC campground is booked by the local native American tribe. Given that that date is also labor day weekend, the most popular weekend in the park by far, this is bad time to be ending up at Katahdin. After that weekend, sites are usually available during the weekdays but somewhat more popular on weekends until late September. It can and does snow some year before October 1st but generally the park tries to stay open until later in October.

Starchild
02-24-2017, 18:02
There is one weekend in the summer Sept 1st and 2nd where the entire KSC campground is booked by the local native American tribe. Given that that date is also labor day weekend, the most popular weekend in the park by far, this is bad time to be ending up at Katahdin. After that weekend, sites are usually available during the weekdays but somewhat more popular on weekends until late September. It can and does snow some year before October 1st but generally the park tries to stay open until later in October.

Actually this is a awesome time to finish, and may be invited to partake in their 100+ mile pilgrimage to Pomola (sub-peak of Katahdin - across the knife edge of the Northern Terminus of the AT ).

TJ aka Teej
02-24-2017, 19:28
Hi Gambit, I update this each year. Hope you find it useful!

The nobo's guide to Baxter State Park and Katahdin. (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/first-blog-post/)

Rain Man
02-26-2017, 13:12
Although it is a few years away, I am having some anxiety about the logistics of the last trip to complete the AT in Maine.

Great timing on your post, Gambit! You may be finishing Maine in a few years, but I plan to finish in a few months (middle of September, to be more exact). So, I'm appreciating the replies!

I've already climbed Katahdin, so not critical that I do it again. Will finish Maine at KSC. Goal is the Friday of the Trail's End Festival in Millinocket. Starting at Caratunk on Labor Day weekend.

Anyway, thanks and thanks to all who are posting such good intell.

Gambit McCrae
03-01-2017, 09:00
Hi Gambit, I update this each year. Hope you find it useful!

The nobo's guide to Baxter State Park and Katahdin. (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/first-blog-post/)

This answered all my questions thanks!

peakbagger
03-01-2017, 10:15
Glad you got off "the ledge", the internet does tend to whip folks up into a unneeded frenzy.

I have a group site booked for the long labor day weekend in Baxter. I will be on the east side of the mountain but expect I will encounter more than a few thru hikers in my travels.

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2017, 14:22
This answered all my questions thanks!

Always glad to help!

ImAfraidOfBears
03-01-2017, 21:00
And if you go to Acadia, do the Beehive Trail! Cool climb with lots of metal rungs, views of the ocean and mountains, but short - only a couple hours.
i remember doing the beehive about 10 years ago, and it was awesome, agree with this!