PDA

View Full Version : Packable bag for kid?

OhioHiker
02-24-2017, 11:33
My 8 y/o seems very interested in backpacking. She likes hiking and camping but this year I plan to take her on her first overnight hike.

Anyhow, she needs a packable sleeping bag. 30* and up. Should I get a women's petite or are the kids bad decent too?

Any suggestions?

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2017, 12:06
Suggestion. There aren't many quality TRUE 30° youth bags out there, and the temperature ratings are somewhat suspect on those that are. Kids tend to sleep cold as well. I'd suggest a 20° women's petite or reg synthetic bag from a higher quality manufacturer. READ reviews and look for an EN COMFORT RATING of 20°. Beware of cheap, off brands, without EN ratings. Yes, the bag will be long in the beginning, (some inefficiency due to too much volume), but she'll get a few years out of it as well that way. Synthetic, because I've been there, done that, and kids seem incredibly skilled at getting gear wet, in a variety of ways. A down bag would be perhaps a pound lighter, but you are going to carry the common gear and likely some of hers anyway.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2017, 12:09
BTW, your other option is going for a quilt, but there's some "input" required from the user - as in not kicking off the covers and keeping it tucked in.

swisscross
02-24-2017, 12:37
Not knowing if my daughter (she also was 8 when I started taking her) I just let her carry my good sleeping bag and I carried my old not nearly as compressible bag.
After multiple trips and a continued interest I invested in a quilt that is suitable for me to also on solo trips.
My daughter loves it so much that I actually feel guilty when I don't take her.

Hope you both have a great trip.

As much as she loves our poo shovel (the idea) I cannot get her to poo in the woods.

swisscross
02-24-2017, 12:42
Not knowing if my daughter (she also was 8 when I started taking her) I just let her carry my good sleeping bag and I carried my old not nearly as compressible bag.
After multiple trips and a continued interest I invested in a quilt that is suitable for me to also on solo trips.
My daughter loves it so much that I actually feel guilty when I don't take her.

Hope you both have a great trip.

As much as she loves our poo shovel (the idea) I cannot get her to poo in the woods.

Not knowing if should would like backpacking...man I need to proof read better.

HooKooDooKu
02-24-2017, 12:59
I've been using the North Face Tigger for my kids.
The bag is "rated" to 20º... but given that it's only 2lbs, not sure how much I trust that temperature rating being exact.
But my kids have done fine with it in cold temperatures (never tried below freezing... but low 40's and hi 30's, yea).

The problem is that it isn't made anymore (don't know why, it's been the best kids bag I've ever seen given that today most are 3lbs).
But I see that at this moment, there is ONE available in Amazon. It's a bit expensive at ~$105 (given that they were ~$60 when I bought my 1st). But I think it's still worth the price because of the weight.
https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Tigger-Sleeping-Bag/dp/B003A817GA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top
Yea, the color isn't the best (the ones I bought were the nice red ones).

bigcranky
02-24-2017, 13:10
Our daughter started backpacking with us at age 4, all summer trips for the first few years. We found a reasonably lightweight kids bag, probably at REI. When she was ready for a 3 season bag, we bought a Sierra Designs women's small bag, synthetic, rated to 20F, I think it weighed about 3 pounds. Nice bag, did well for her. When she was 12 or 13 we bought her an REI women's down bag, the Sub Kilo, which she has used ever since, and she's 26 now. So that turned out to be a good purchase. :)

saltysack
02-24-2017, 13:30
I've been using the North Face Tigger for my kids.
The bag is "rated" to 20º... but given that it's only 2lbs, not sure how much I trust that temperature rating being exact.
But my kids have done fine with it in cold temperatures (never tried below freezing... but low 40's and hi 30's, yea).

The problem is that it isn't made anymore (don't know why, it's been the best kids bag I've ever seen given that today most are 3lbs).
But I see that at this moment, there is ONE available in Amazon. It's a bit expensive at ~$105 (given that they were ~$60 when I bought my 1st). But I think it's still worth the price because of the weight.
https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Tigger-Sleeping-Bag/dp/B003A817GA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top
Yea, the color isn't the best (the ones I bought were the nice red ones).

Yep I bought my sons off flea bay...$70 great bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHiker
02-24-2017, 13:35
Looks like the NF Cats Meow is 20* and 2lbs 15oz. Kind of pricy at $189 but should last awhile. And maybe my wife could use it when we go sans kid.

Alligator
02-24-2017, 13:43
I'ver got a Tigger bag and pad I will send to you for free if you don't mind a used bag, pad is too. Send me a PM if you are interested.

saltysack
02-24-2017, 14:26
I'ver got a Tigger bag and pad I will send to you for free if you don't mind a used bag, pad is too. Send me a PM if you are interested.

It's reassuring that there are people like this in the crazy world we live in!! Actually got my kids first pack this same way....thanks again Just Dad....all he asked was that I intern pass along when he outgrows it...the trail community and white Blaze are the real Merica!!![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHiker
02-24-2017, 14:29
My thoughts exactly. [emoji1360]

-Rush-
02-26-2017, 21:02
I use a Mountain Hardwear Youth Mountain Goat and I can pack it into a Camelbak Kids backpack with room for snacks, poncho, and a stuffed animal. 35oz.