PDA

View Full Version : re: the Place hostel in Demascus

DavidNH
01-23-2006, 18:56
I have seen videos of the AT (5 million steps, trek) and the Place seems to figure prominantly. so I thought what theheck..I'll asks the folks here:

Anything special about the place? is it highly reccomended?

David

Footslogger
01-23-2006, 19:01
I think history has made it a special place. In addition to offering a bunk and shower to hikers it also serves as a popular meeting place for hikers from previous years. There is generally a large gathering of AT Alumni in the parking lot of the Place every year at Trail Days.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2006, 20:09
It's a fine place, especially for those on a budget. Word to the wise: Keep valuables such as wallet, camera, etc. on your person, as there's lots of coming and going at the Place and things occasionally go missing.

As alternatives, the hostel run by Mt. Rogers Outfitter is wonderful (it's right across the street from the shop), and tho I've never stayed there, the Lazy Fox Inn has gotten countless rave reviews also.

khaynie
01-23-2006, 20:36
There was a vagrant living there when we stayed. He was harmless, but very secretive. He would come in late at night, sneak up stairs, and sounded like he was moving chairs around all night. In the morning he was gone. Other than that, it was a very nice place.

RITBlake
01-23-2006, 21:11
ahh yes. Don King and I mustered up the courage to go up there and investigate. Strange, beer filled, night.

neo
01-23-2006, 21:42
ahh yes. Don King and I mustered up the courage to go up there and investigate. Strange, beer filled, night.

congrats on your thru hike,i stayed at daves place when i passed thru damascus in late 2001:cool: neo

UCONNMike
01-23-2006, 22:46

haha, yea and don't forget we were with ABT of the rap super group Grand Cooley as we stormed the upstairs at like 4 in the morning...