PDA

View Full Version : Lantern/dome light for tent?

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:04
Looking at the option for a hanging light of some sort for the tent. Small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, and disperses a decent amount of might so I can do some writing and looking around. I'll have a headlamp with me, but want this option as well so I'm not relying on the headlamp as much.

Any suggestions? My searches come up with your standard bulky lanterns. not at all what in looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

CalebJ
02-24-2017, 12:05
Have you tried hanging the headlamp in the tent? If there's any sort of gear loop at the top, it's usually easy to loop the headlamp through that and itself to suspend it over you.

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:15
Main reason I'm looking for a separate light source is so I don't have such a direct beam. And to find something with a softer light, even if its still LEDs, but covered with a soft white plastic to disperse the light. Plus, with a second light source. I could use each one at separate times, for separate activities and they'd last longer.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2017, 12:19
Black Diamond Orbit. Dimmable. LED lantern and flashlight. 2.9 oz plus 4 AAA batteries (1.6 oz). On sale at $15 at Pike to Peak w/$35 order. I've seen it on sale other places as well.

Huntmog
02-24-2017, 12:20
A friend gave me a small (probably 3 inches) flashlight lantern combo that has a leash to attach it. I now use it for my tent light on the lantern setting,ie with the base pulled out, for that same reason. I'll post name after work but it is an amazing little light.

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:34
Black Diamond Orbit. Dimmable. LED lantern and flashlight. 2.9 oz plus 4 AAA batteries (1.6 oz). On sale at $15 at Pike to Peak w/$35 order. I've seen it on sale other places as well.
Looks great! I've seen a couple reviews about short battery life, which is quite the buzzkill. But I may still buy it.

A friend gave me a small (probably 3 inches) flashlight lantern combo that has a leash to attach it. I now use it for my tent light on the lantern setting,ie with the base pulled out, for that same reason. I'll post name after work but it is an amazing little light.
Wonder if it's the same one posted by 4eyedbuzzard... I'm interested to see. Thanks!

H I T C H
02-24-2017, 12:37
Search "USB Rechargeable Lantern", on Amazon.

There are many types that charge thru USB and they can also be used as a powerbank.

Hitch

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:37
What about the Black Diamond Moji? Anyone have experience with that? Smaller than the Orbit and you forfeit the "flashlight" feature.

atomicchicken
02-24-2017, 12:42
Or something like the Luci.

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-outdoor-2-0

Three brightness settings and has a built in solar panel for recharging.

colorado_rob
02-24-2017, 12:43
We sure like these Luci lanterns, and even at a relatively heavy 4.4 ounces, we have actually carried one on some of our "darker" BP trips (fall and winter, short daylight hours, lots of hours in dark in tent).

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:46
I'm leaning toward this one. The hand crank seems worth it. Very small, lantern and light feature, dimmable, super cheap...

ThorFire LED Camping Lantern Hand Crank USB Rechargeable Lantern Mini Flashlight Emergency Torch Light Tent Lamp CL01 for Camping Hiking Jogging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIL1DFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_umgSybX1PRSZG

swisscross
02-24-2017, 12:50
I like my LuminAID when I go with family.
Don't bother when solo.

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 12:54
I'm leaning toward this one. The hand crank seems worth it. Very small, lantern and light feature, dimmable, super cheap...

ThorFire LED Camping Lantern Hand Crank USB Rechargeable Lantern Mini Flashlight Emergency Torch Light Tent Lamp CL01 for Camping Hiking Jogging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIL1DFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_umgSybX1PRSZG

Ok... I just saw a video of someone charging their phone with the hand crank [emoji1] not that I'd do that cuz I'll have an Anker power bank, but that's awesome!

saltysack
02-24-2017, 13:33
LRI photon works good and has clip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AfterParty
02-24-2017, 14:31
Luci lantern solar powered lasts pretty well.

illabelle
02-24-2017, 14:57
I like my LuminAID when I go with family.
Don't bother when solo.

We also have a LuminAID. Haven't used it on trail yet. For $14.99, I think it's a pretty cool accessory. Inflatable with just one decent-sized breath. Easily deflates. Waterproof, compact. Light quality is soft, would do very well as tent light.

The PackLite Nova is the next generation of LuminAID’s award-winning PackLite 12 collapsible solar lantern. It weighs 5 oz, and is 4.75” wide x 4.75” high. It offers 75 Lumens on its highest setting and provides 24 hours of LED light on a single charge. The PackLite Nova charges in 10 hours of sunlight and requires no additional batteries. The PackLite Nova has a 4-level charge indicator and adjustable strap for hanging. Given its high performance but compact size, the PackLite Nova makes an ideal light for just about anywhere including the campsite, backyard and emergency kits.

https://luminaid.com/products/packlite-nova
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1475/6638/products/LuminAID-PackLite-Nova-solar-inflatable-lantern-gray_800x.jpg?v=1484940227

Pondjumpr
02-24-2017, 15:34
I have tried the headlamp hanging on the top loop of my tent. I have tried to prop it up and aim it at a wall. No way I have tried has been efficient/effective at all. I recently bought the Black Diamond brand. They had the green color trim on sale for $12 versus $20 for black. I didn't care about the color. I absolutely love it. While I am not sure I would carry it on a long backpacking trip, it is one of my best purchase recently. It puts of the best type of light and is soft illumination inside the tent. As mentioned, it is dimmable but that is not a feature that excites me.
So, as for a long trek ont he AT, the one I bought may be a little too heavy (3 or 4 AAA) but for short term camping, car camping, etc. It is phenomenal compared to trying to make a head lamp or flashlight work.

Pondjumpr
02-24-2017, 15:39
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.L2SPCkHHK6-0SiGDtWRUQQEsEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
This is the model I bought. (Mojo) 3 oz plus batteries. (3 AAA)

lilgodwin
02-24-2017, 17:57
The ThorFire has been ordered, and boy am I excited! Silly to be over a lantern I suppose, lol.

Maui Rhino
02-26-2017, 01:34
I carry a 4ft strip of battery powered Christmas lights. Works great for general camp or tent illumination, and very cheap if you shop after Christmas.

lilgodwin
02-26-2017, 02:05
I carry a 4ft strip of battery powered Christmas lights. Works great for general camp or tent illumination, and very cheap if you shop after Christmas.
Please tell me it has multi-committed lights and various settings... I would love to be walking the AT and happen upon a disco tent.

But in all honesty, I thought about the Christmas light setup, seemed like a pretty cool idea, but I never got around to checking if they had battery powered strips, just assumed they did.

lilgodwin
02-26-2017, 02:14
*multi-colored

bamboo bob
02-26-2017, 09:17
I don't get it. Why would you need/want this?

Odd Man Out
02-26-2017, 10:08
I recall swing a hack that involved putting your light on an empty water bottle as a diffuser.

blw2
02-26-2017, 10:25
yep, or you can shine it up through the bottom of even a full one. Disperses light quite well.

I absolutely despise a lantern. The traditional ones, or the newfangled electric variations for car campingdo little except to blind everyone around.....
but I do get it. general area lighting sometimes is just nice in the tent... to read or when generally putzing around. I guess that's why BA makes their mountainglo tent line.

Several folks in my son's boy scout troop have those little inflatable dome lanterns. The ones with the frosted opaque plastic are much better than the clear/transparent ones to disperse the light.

ScareBear
02-26-2017, 10:35

Same reason fireflies light up?

Furlough
02-26-2017, 11:08
I was given one (a Luci Outdoor 2.0 by MPowered) for Christmas this year. It weighs right about 4.4ozs. I threw it in my pack for an overnighter that included a full day of trail maintenance back in January. I had an old dog eared copy of the Zane Grey book - The Man of the Forest - that I have been meaning to read, so I threw that in my pack as well. Given the early evening time for the sun to go down and the long time before it was to come back up, I had a good opportunity to try out this lamp and read a good read. I think as someone mentioned earlier the frosted version may work out better in the close confines of a tent, but this one got the job done jut fine. Being solar rechargeable has its merits too.

Deacon
02-26-2017, 11:21
LRI photon works good and has clip...

Yeah, I hang the photon from the ridge line of my hammock (when I hammock). Give good area light and weighs only 0.6 oz.

Uncle Joe
02-26-2017, 11:40
yep, or you can shine it up through the bottom of even a full one. Disperses light quite well.

I absolutely despise a lantern. The traditional ones, or the newfangled electric variations for car campingdo little except to blind everyone around.....
but I do get it. general area lighting sometimes is just nice in the tent... to read or when generally putzing around. I guess that's why BA makes their mountainglo tent line.

Several folks in my son's boy scout troop have those little inflatable dome lanterns. The ones with the frosted opaque plastic are much better than the clear/transparent ones to disperse the light.

I have a LuciLux and like it.

Venchka
02-26-2017, 11:44
Looking at the option for a hanging light of some sort for the tent. Small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, and disperses a decent amount of might so I can do some writing and looking around. I'll have a headlamp with me, but want this option as well so I'm not relying on the headlamp as much.

Any suggestions? My searches come up with your standard bulky lanterns. not at all what in looking for.

Your headlamp.
Wayne

Patrickjd9
02-26-2017, 14:03
Times have changed. 30 posts in and nobody has mentioned a candle lantern yet.

https://www.rei.com/c/candle-lanterns?r=c&ir=category%3Acandle-lanterns&page=1

Not really recommending, since I've never owned one, I just noticed it.

Venchka
02-26-2017, 14:32
I own a candle lantern from the last century. As yet unused.
Wayne

blw2
02-26-2017, 16:54
ha ha, yes, I own one... used to use it. Haven't in years.

Huntmog
02-26-2017, 23:19
The one I mentioned earlier was a Uco. Looks like average 15 bucks....like I said it casts a very nice light on lantern mode and comes with an attached shock cord leash for the loop in most tents.

z96Cobra
02-26-2017, 23:39
Here's what I use on my ridgeline in my hammock, the Nite-Ize Moonlit. 60 hours on 2x2032 batteries and 19 grams.

http://www.niteize.com/product/MoonLit-LED-Micro-Lantern.asp

z96Cobra
02-26-2017, 23:44
This one looks cool as well. Flashlight/lantern combo on 1xAA @ 77g and 2h on high, 9.5h on low.

http://www.niteize.com/product/3-in-1-LED-Mini-Flashlight.asp

CalebJ
02-26-2017, 23:48
Here's what I use on my ridgeline in my hammock, the Nite-Ize Moonlit. 60 hours on 2x2032 batteries and 19 grams.

http://www.niteize.com/product/MoonLit-LED-Micro-Lantern.asp

That's actually a cool looking product. Tempting for trips where I might be up late reading in a tent.

ScareBear
02-27-2017, 05:27
I own a candle lantern from the last century. As yet unused.
Wayne

I've still got mine. Brass. Remember when ultralight wasn't a thing?

I actually lusted over the tea candle model, back in the day...seems almost quaint now...like a handle pump for water...

egilbe
02-27-2017, 08:54
That's actually a cool looking product. Tempting for trips where I might be up late reading in a tent.
I'm never up late reading. Its dark, I'm in bed asleep.

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2017, 09:25
I'm never up late reading. Its dark, I'm in bed asleep.That's okay maybe May to August, but there's a lot more nighttime than daytime the rest of the year. In Sept it's usually around a 12 hour split between day and night. I'd be laying there wide awake at 3 am waiting 3 hours for daybreak - or making coffee and breaking camp via headlamp.

CalebJ
02-27-2017, 11:04
Yep - I was thinking about winter trips and/or family camping when everybody wants to set up camp much sooner than I'd normally be ready for.

H I T C H
02-27-2017, 11:12
I am surprised that the Big Agnes Mtnglo system didn't come up in this thread. I haven't seen one in action, but some reviews say that they are too dim to read by.

Hitch

lilgodwin
02-27-2017, 11:29
Maybe that's why it hasn't come up... Seen anything good about it?

maptester
02-27-2017, 11:29
On my last trip I tried a cheap battery powered LED tea candle for a tent light. It was just enough light to use in the tent for finding things and have a gentle background light while Kindle reading or watching a movie on the phone. Small, weighs next to nothing and super cheap. YMMV. I tried the light because the trip before I brought my Uni candle lantern and we found it was too bright just to sit about and talk near it.

Odd Man Out
02-27-2017, 11:34
I have one of these Krill lights which would work for tent lighting. The are an electroluminescent glow stick. Mine runs on a single AA battery. They work on the same principle as a Timex Indiglo watch, except the luminescent film is rolled into a cylinder giving 360 deg of lighting. The battery goes inside the cylinder. The transparent tube is very tough and waterproof. Twist the cap to turn on and off. It doesn't give a lot of light, but in a small tent when your eyes are dark adapted, it looks pretty bright.

http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights

Secondmouse
02-27-2017, 11:39

you don't say what you'll be using it for. are you hiking? big miles or just shelter to shelter? are you mostly camping?

the Orbit is good for camping but heavy if you're cutting big miles. Luci is popular but again, not light.

Nite Ize makes the tiny Moonlit Micro Lantern with built in carabiner. it won't light a whole campsite but is plenty for a tent. it swivels, comes in red or white, water resistant, has glow or flash modes, runs for 60 hours, and only weighs 19 grams...

$10.

lilgodwin
02-27-2017, 12:00
you don't say what you'll be using it for. are you hiking? big miles or just shelter to shelter? are you mostly camping?

You just quoted it... "Hanging light for the tent", "writing and looking around"... Come on.

Anyway, I've already found exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestions. So many options, but I think a lot of them are too small, dim, etc. For what I'm looking for.

H I T C H
02-27-2017, 17:51
Maybe that's why it hasn't come up... Seen anything good about it?

Sure most of the reviews are pretty positive. It doesn't seem practical to me though.
I prefer to have a light that can be used in multiple applications.

saltysack
02-27-2017, 20:24
Now that I think about it.....its very rare that I use any light in my shelter as my arse is usually beat and ready to sleep! If I read it's on my iPhone so a light isn't needed...I do turn on the photon hanging inside if I leave the tent after dark.....sure makes it easier to find.

Kaptainkriz
02-27-2017, 21:10
I have the 180 bright green one with 2AA...it's an interesting light that I like a lot despite it being heavy.

I have one of these Krill lights which would work for tent lighting. The are an electroluminescent glow stick. Mine runs on a single AA battery. They work on the same principle as a Timex Indiglo watch, except the luminescent film is rolled into a cylinder giving 360 deg of lighting. The battery goes inside the cylinder. The transparent tube is very tough and waterproof. Twist the cap to turn on and off. It doesn't give a lot of light, but in a small tent when your eyes are dark adapted, it looks pretty bright.

http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights

Mrs. Roundabout
02-28-2017, 07:58
I love the Luci Light. I carried it when I backpacked last spring. It was great in the morning when I was up before light and I could hang it on a branch and have breakfast, brush teeth, etc. Then in the evening to sit in my tent and journal. I would strap it on top of the pack to recharge during the day. I have a cabin that is off grid and use them a lot. A fully charged Luci light will stay lit almost 12 hours. I have left it on overnight several times in the cabin to act as a nightlight.

Pondjumpr
03-01-2017, 14:12
I laid eyes on the Luci today at the local outfitter. Very lightweight and it appears that the newer frosted version would perform well. Two concerns I would have is:
1)would it charge on the trail? It said 8 hours charge time for 7 hours run time. Maybe topping it off every day would not be a problem.
2)the plastic strap would worry me about breaking or coming unsnapped while hiking with it tethered tot he top of the pack

Neither of these concerns can be validated and for the money ($15-25), I think they would be worth trying out.

TN James
03-01-2017, 14:52
Or something like the Luci.

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-outdoor-2-0

Three brightness settings and has a built in solar panel for recharging.

I can second the Luci Light. I have one and it works pretty well. Saves a lot of headlamp battery if you read inside your tent at night.

TN James
03-01-2017, 14:54
I can second the Luci Light. I have one and it works pretty well. Saves a lot of headlamp battery if you read inside your tent at night.

Also, mine comes in at 4.4 ounces on my scale.

ScareBear
03-01-2017, 15:12
Here is a solution to mood lighting your tent. Just go get a LED USB cable. That way, when you plug your phone into your battery to charge at night, you get a glowing tent to go with it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232092339958?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

-Rush-
03-01-2017, 15:17
Also, mine comes in at 4.4 ounces on my scale.

The
Luci outputs a lot of light, but at 4.4oz it's a bit heavy. I use a Lumintop AAA flashlight and hang it from the tent with a small bit of 1.8mm line.

capehiker
03-01-2017, 19:26
Consider the Sierra Designs Night Glow. It weighs .71 ounces and cost $15. It's essentially a diffuser when you put your headlamp in. It came with my new Clip Flashlight and I'll admit, while gimmicky at first, it does a pretty decent job of diffusing the light and filling the tent. I now keep it separate and take it with every tent I use.
https://sierradesigns.com/night-glow-accessory/

saltysack
03-01-2017, 21:07
Consider the Sierra Designs Night Glow. It weighs .71 ounces and cost $15. It's essentially a diffuser when you put your headlamp in. It came with my new Clip Flashlight and I'll admit, while gimmicky at first, it does a pretty decent job of diffusing the light and filling the tent. I now keep it separate and take it with every tent I use.
https://sierradesigns.com/night-glow-accessory/

Interesting.....I'll try my lil Cuban zip pouch from MLD as a diffuser for zebra light or photon..already has a beener on one end to hang..thx

Secondmouse
03-01-2017, 22:46
Interesting.....I'll try my lil Cuban zip pouch from MLD as a diffuser for zebra light or photon..already has a beener on one end to hang..thx

wow, you got a zip pouch from Cuba?..

gpburdelljr
03-01-2017, 23:36

Same reason fireflies light up?

I didn't know you could attract a mate with an LED lantern.

saltysack
03-01-2017, 23:51
wow, you got a zip pouch from Cuba?..

[emoji106]Yep...was just in Havana....MLD special [emoji1083] edition...[emoji51]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/f65dddec1f1438d628a5f9024833bd75.jpg

Odd Man Out
03-02-2017, 11:41
I know you are not supposed to have flames in your tent, but I just thought I would point out that candles have been working for many thousands of years.

Secondmouse
03-02-2017, 14:42
[emoji106]Yep...was just in Havana....MLD special [emoji1083] edition...[emoji51]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/f65dddec1f1438d628a5f9024833bd75.jpg

pretty cool. but did you ever think about using Cuben fiber pouch? they're pretty light from what I understand...

:D

Cheyou
03-02-2017, 14:56
http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-Tube-Keychain-Light-p/fl-nite-tube.htm

My light