PDA

View Full Version : Suwannee River canoe trip

squirrel bait
01-23-2006, 19:38
Any WB'ers know much about the Suwannee River? Friend and I are trying to plan a March trip. What we don't know is where to start the trip. A friend from Cedar Key will pick us up so no trouble there. What is the starting point for a 7 day trip ending at the gulf? White Springs or farther north as in Okefenokee Swamp? Thanks ya'll.

neo
01-23-2006, 20:13
Any WB'ers know much about the Suwannee River? Friend and I are trying to plan a March trip. What we don't know is where to start the trip. A friend from Cedar Key will pick us up so no trouble there. What is the starting point for a 7 day trip ending at the gulf? White Springs or farther north as in Okefenokee Swamp? Thanks ya'll.

milemonster on whiteblaze has:cool: neo
http://www.milemonster.net/SuwaneeMarch2005/SuwaneeMain.html

http://www.milemonster.net/SuwaneeMarch2005/index.htm

Ridge
01-23-2006, 20:35
If you get a permit from the US Dept of Interior in Waycross,Ga you can start near US 1 at Folkston, GA. Take a Canoe Trail thru the Swamp hit the main river at about Stephen Foster SP, Fla and travel to the Gulf. However you can start at Stephen Foster SP if you don't want to tour the Okefenokee. Warning, the river moves very slow. The best time to travel is before May, when its not as hot.

Hammock Hanger
01-23-2006, 21:23
I don't think you can make it from the Okefenokee all the way to the gulf in 7 days. -- I have been trying to find a partner that would do the whole trip with me from Stephen Foster SP to the gulf for 3 years with no takers. Good luck and enjoy.

PS: Have you check out this book, "Canoeing and Camping the 213 miles of The Beautiful Suwannee River" by William Logan? It may answer some of your questions. (ISBN # 0-9665500-0-5)

neo
01-23-2006, 21:28
I don't think you can make it from the Okefenokee all the way to the gulf in 7 days. -- I have been trying to find a partner that would do the whole trip with me from Stephen Foster SP to the gulf for 3 years with no takers. Good luck and enjoy.

PS: Have you check out this book, "Canoeing and Camping the 213 miles of The Beautiful Suwannee River" by William Logan? It may answer some of your questions. (ISBN # 0-9665500-0-5)

i could do it with ya hammock hanger,i love yaking

i am doing 130+ miles on the harpeth here in tennessee this year :cool: neo

Hikes in Rain
01-24-2006, 08:36
Warning: Shameless quasi-self-promoting plug follows!

Check with my colleagues over at the Suwannee River Water Management District. Their charge is the care of that river (as opposed to my own District, which has the same charge for ten). Their public information services should be able to get you just about anything you'd want concerning the river. They also have been busy buying up the river floodplains under the Florida Forever program (and its predecessor programs), and maintain a number of nice, primitive campsites along the way. If anyone can set you up and answer their questions, they can!

Here's their website: http://www.srwmd.state.fl.us/
Address:

9225 County Road 49
Live Oak, FL 32060
(Corner of US 90 and CR 49)
Phone:

386.362.1001 or 1.800.226.1066 (toll free in Florida)

24-hour River Level & Flood Information Line: 386.362.6626 or 1.800.604.2272 (inside Florida)

Warning: Directly self-serving plug ahead!

Just FYI, I recently lost my best engineer, and I need to replace her ASAP. Want to live and work in Florida's Panhandle, where the last of the unspoiled coastlines and rivers are located? Want a built in hiking partner (I'm still section-hiking) to share rides and expenses? Contact me!

Hikes in Rain, (Lee) who sometimes pays the bills by impersonating the Surface Water Bureau Chief at the Northwest Florida Water Management District.

(Note: if this plug violated forum guidelines, I apologize and will not be offended if it's removed. However, I really do need a design engineer! Preferable an AT hiker)

squirrel bait
01-24-2006, 08:44
Hammock Hanger, we are going to start at White Springs, miss Big Shoals that way and make for a more reasonable schedule. Thanks I'll let ya know the schedule if ya want.
Hikes in Rain, thank you. Good luck on your search. Maybe we could start a want ad forum? Want to live on the beach, sell insurance, I'm hiring.:-?

Ridge
01-24-2006, 09:23
Are water levels in the Suwannee from Stephen Foster State Park(Okeefenokee) to Stephen Foster Culural Center (White Springs,Fl) a big problem??

I do thing the total miles from the SP To Suwannee,FL (exit) is around 230 river miles. about a 12 day trip. Does this sound right??

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2006, 09:28
i would love to join you but am currently thru-hiking FL. Maybe another time.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 10:09
The Suwannee is running high now. I passed over it on I-10 a week ago and it was up to the top of the banks. Jan and Feb are good times to do the Suwanee. Start at Folkston and don't miss Big Shoals. It is fun. You can portage just your gear there and run the rapids unloaded. Take your time and explore all the Springs between White Springs and Branford (An excellent place to take out because the river gets pretty wide and slow below Branford). My earliest childhood memories are of the inside of the Springhouse at White Springs. It was huge to me and scary because the water was dark. The building was interesting as it had multiple levels inside. Lots of people swimming in there. Ah, the good ol' days.