PDA

View Full Version : Boots or Trailrunners?

sleepwalker
01-23-2006, 21:01
I know this may be a point of contention, but I would like to hear your pros and cons. I'm a die-hard Asolo boot fan but recently I've been thinking about a switch to lighter trail runners for my hikes. Case in point I have a 2 week trip planned in April, Neel's Gap- North.

I've been a little concerned about ankle support. I'm not too worried about waterproofness as I carry gaiters to make up for the shoe height. Also I was considering sole durability and traction. I hope some ultralighters would weigh in on this. Any info would be extremely helpful!

betic4lyf
01-23-2006, 21:09
my feet sweat more than life, and without my trail runners, i would sweat to death. also i don't like clunky things. as far as grip, trail runners havent let me down, and they erode the trail a lot less.

Vin Diesel Can Divide By Zero

wyclif
01-23-2006, 21:16
When I was a teenager, I hiked in those stiff waffle-stompers like everyone else.

I can't imagine hiking in 5lb boots now. It takes a toll on your knees and your back. If 'old-school' hikers wanna do that, fine with me.

But I love hiking in the trail runners; I don't have ankle problems while climbing and with a +/-30# pack I've found that more ankle support than trail runners afford isn't necessary for me.

Max Power
01-23-2006, 21:23
I think boots giving ankle support is bologna. Once I made the switch to trailrunners, I found that your ankles support your ankles not your boots. You just have to learn how to walk correctly on rocks and roots.

Palmer
01-23-2006, 21:36
I've switched over to trailrunners except when there's snow or I'm heading to a very wet area. I could probably use the trailrunners even then, but I gotta use my old boots sometime!

My kids won't even consider boots.

hikerjohnd
01-23-2006, 22:05
I used Trail Runners last summer on my thru attempt - after 100 miles they were toast. I switched to lite hikers - and my current pair has about 200 miles on them and are in great shape! Look at these (http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=9&brandcatid=47&gen=m&pcid=23927). Heavier duty than runners but much lighter than boots.

Alligator
01-23-2006, 22:28
I switched from boots to trail runners for three season backpacking. I had really bad blister problems even after being professionally fit. I no longer have any blister problems and the trail runners weren't even fitted. They do make Gore-tex trail runners, although I don't think it is at all necessary except maybe in early spring or late fall. A pair of Sealskinz is another option. Traction is very good, but the soles tend to be more supple and you can feel the rocks more. It's not a big deal though at all.

Pay close attention to the listed weights. I have seen some heavy pairs of trail runners out there.

sleepwalker
01-23-2006, 22:30
I used Trail Runners last summer on my thru attempt - after 100 miles they were toast. I switched to lite hikers - and my current pair has about 200 miles on them and are in great shape! Look at these (http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=9&brandcatid=47&gen=m&pcid=23927). Heavier duty than runners but much lighter than boots.

My buddy at work wears merrell continuum boots that he bought especially for our work environment(we're custom home framers in the north east)and he has had nothing good to say about them, he reports wet feet daily, although he says his feet sweat badly. I assume you are happy with these merrells, something to consider as my feet don't sweat too much.

Those of you who recommend trailrunners...what brand would you endorse and how many miles do you put on them in an average outing? Also, I'm wondering about blistering and how it compares with conventional hiking boots(given a breaking in period). Thanks all and keep the comments coming...It is much appreciated!

wyclif
01-23-2006, 22:30
I used Trail Runners last summer on my thru attempt - after 100 miles they were toast.

You do tradeoff weight for durability in one sense--I have never heard of a thru-hiker on trailrunners not going through at least 4 pair--but still, I was surprised at the difference when I switched to the runners. The difference those few pounds make every step is a tradeoff I'd make any day...even if I had to budget more for shoes.

minnesotasmith
01-23-2006, 23:08
My buddy at work wears merrell continuum boots that he bought especially for our work environment(we're custom home framers in the north east)and he has had nothing good to say about them, he reports wet feet daily, although he says his feet sweat badly. I assume you are happy with these merrells, something to consider as my feet don't sweat too much.

Those of you who recommend trailrunners...what brand would you endorse and how many miles do you put on them in an average outing? Also, I'm wondering about blistering and how it compares with conventional hiking boots(given a breaking in period). Thanks all and keep the comments coming...It is much appreciated!

New Balance or Dunhills.

Almost There
01-23-2006, 23:20
Goretex is sorta an overkill as in trailrunners it will get clogged with dirt and dust, this in effect negates the goretex. I have been researching as I am looking to make a change to trailrunners. Montrail Hardrocks get good reviews from people, and you can get them in regular and wide sizes. Salomons also get good marks from people I have talked to. Rounding it out I know of many on the PCT that have used some kind of New Balance. In the end you have to try out something and see if it works for you.

digger51
01-24-2006, 00:46
I've used both boots and trailrunners and will always use boots now. After my 2001 thru was cut short in NY because of severly sprained ankle. Over the ankle boots are a requirement now with ankle supports unter them.

Ridge
01-24-2006, 08:44
I would love to try some of the new shoes or trail runners. I am strictly a boot hiker and I love the fact I can wade in ankle deep water/mud without getting my feet wet. I guess you could wear gaiters with the shoes to at least keep out dirt/ect. when wearing shorts, which is what I always do except in the coldest of temps. I would recommend whatever you wear do it months or even years before a thru-hike to test things out and get them broke in, maybe do a few more pairs if you can, for backup.

khaynie
01-24-2006, 09:11
Goretex is sorta an overkill as in trailrunners it will get clogged with dirt and dust, this in effect negates the goretex. I have been researching as I am looking to make a change to trailrunners. Montrail Hardrocks get good reviews from people, and you can get them in regular and wide sizes. Salomons also get good marks from people I have talked to. Rounding it out I know of many on the PCT that have used some kind of New Balance. In the end you have to try out something and see if it works for you.

Trail runners are great. However, Salomon's are notorious for having weak shoe laces. If going with Salomon's, get the ones with the regular shoe lace, not the thin ones with the slide lock - they're a joke. They broke on me before I got out of the 100 mile wilderness...

I will say this: If you plan on hitting abunch of snow, go with a gore tex boot and gaitors. My wife and I hit a lot of snow in the Smokies and our feet were punished. Our trail runners were not waterproof hence our feet were popcicles.

general
01-24-2006, 09:24
i broke my ancle wearing montrail's moraine AT's (heavyweights), and in turn learned a very important lesson. the stability of the foot bed (of the boot/shoe) is more helpful in gaining ancle support than having boots that cover your ancle. in general. trail runners provide a wider more flexable foot bed, which allows your foot to naturally adapt to the terrain that your walking on. that being said, i stil wear mid/light weight solomon boots that have a foot bed and sole much like a trail runner but also provide higher coverage for all of the reasons that i like boots.

Ridge
01-24-2006, 09:45
..... My wife and I hit a lot of snow in the Smokies and our feet were punished. Our trail runners were not waterproof hence our feet were popcicles.

In my previous post I said I would like to try some trail runners, you've reminded me how I hate cold feet. So to my previous post I say NEVER MIND.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 10:39
Do they make trailrunners with air-cushions in the heel?

Almost There
01-24-2006, 10:49
Gills,

I agree with you about the slide lock salomons. I have my nice Asolo boots for winter/snow hiking conditions. The trailrunners for me are for warmer weather. Between November and March I hike in boots...for the most part. AFter that I want something lighter as I switch to my lighter pack. Yeah, it would suck to hike through snow in trailrunners.

napster
01-24-2006, 11:08
I myself started out with the cloddhoppers and always wore them growing up. No way No how would I ever wear em again.

sparky2000
01-24-2006, 11:11
knee and ankle problems have always been directly connected to the total weight above them...therefore, if the problem exists you might consider stopping the potato life before hiking. Perhaps barefoot is best.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 11:19
knee and ankle problems have always been directly connected to the total weight above them...therefore, if the problem exists you might consider stopping the potato life before hiking. Perhaps barefoot is best.
Not always true. Remember accidents happen and noone's perfect. I repeat my query, do they make trailrunners with air-cushioned heels? Any help out there?

Whistler
01-24-2006, 12:00
Nike makes trail runners with air-cushioned heels. They have for years, as the popularizers of the Air thing. I'm not sure about air cushions for other manufacturers, but most have some proprietary cushion device. I know Asics has their Gel thing, Brooks does Hydro-flow, Adidas has adiPrene, Mizuno has Wave/VS-1... Snoop around the company websites and see what else you can find.
-Mark

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 12:40
Thanks, Mark, my biggest problem (before my knee surgery) was my achilles heel, so anyway I can reduce shock is helpful.

sleepwalker
01-24-2006, 21:11
I'm lovin' all the input. I don't intend on any snow so trailrunners might be a great option. Now I just need to find something that feels as good as an Asolo boot. Hmmmmmmm....

Marta
01-24-2006, 21:49
I went through several pairs of trail runners before finding "the ones." (Now that model has been discontinued, of course.) If your first pair doesn't work out, try, try again.