PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra?

CassSarahSilvius
02-25-2017, 17:46
Anyone tried High Sierra pack for any length of time? My wife and I are planning a thru hike of the Tuscarora on somewhat of a budget. Not afraid to spend a bit more but don't necessarily have an Osprey budget. While I am asking...is 75L an overkill? We are eventually going to do the AT and I tend to be a pack mule but have heard some men say 60L is plenty.

Mac-Gear
02-25-2017, 18:19
They arent bad entry level cheap packs. I have had the pleasure of testing the 35 60 and 90 all held up with decent weight but they are heavy packs and you will upgrade before hitting the AT. Imo you have to start somehwere and 70l is okay if your doing 5 or more nights consecutively otherwise go 60l.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CassSarahSilvius
02-25-2017, 18:29
Is there a brand that is a dependable, durable step up? I can read reviews all day online..and the hiking store in my town jumped on recommending an Osprey

nsherry61
02-25-2017, 18:48
Anyone tried High Sierra pack for any length of time? ...is 75L an overkill? We are eventually going to do the AT and I tend to be a pack mule but have heard some men say 60L is plenty.

I haven't tried a High Sierra pack. They are probably great deals for someone with limited budget and limited expectations.

When planning extended backpack trips, you can skimp on your stove, you can skimp on your cooking and eating utensils, you can use a tarp instead of a tent to save money, you can even skimp on some clothing if you know what you're doing. Heck, you can even skimp on rain-gear.

BUT, there are a couple things that are pretty central to your backpacking success and skimping on them is a really bad idea. Do whatever it takes to get a really good backpack. Skimp on all the above to save so you can get a good backpack. Hiking the AT is not particularly remote, so a backpack blowout probably isn't the end of the world, but consistent quality and reliability costs money. Carrying and living out of your backpack every day for several months stresses the best gear to its limits, cheap stuff pretty much doesn't have a chance. Low end backpacks have a significantly likelihood of negatively affecting your thru hike.

The other thing that is best not to skimp too much on is a sleeping bag. Sleeping bags are big and take up lots of space. High quality ones are still warm while weighing less, and taking up significantly less space.

As for size, most people hike the AT with about 50 L backpacks. Many of the most experiences people use 40 to 50 L packs. 60 L is big, but still pretty common. If you can fill 70 L you are probably in trouble and your likelihood of completing a thru hike drops significantly!

Being a pack mule is fine for a few days and a few miles. It will suck over many miles and many days.

For thru-hiking, embrace minimalism!

nsherry61
02-25-2017, 18:54
Is there a brand that is a dependable, durable step up? I can read reviews all day online..and the hiking store in my town jumped on recommending an Osprey
There is a reason, beyond pure marketing, that Osprey is as dominant in the industry as it is. They make consistently good product and stand behind it. My favorite cheap, large volume, reliable and reasonably light weight backpacks are made by Deuter. There are several good and consistently high quality brands out there, both mainstream and cottage. Read lots on this site and visit a few local outfitters to get an idea of the range. Then, ignore all the really devoted and avid people and listen to the quite and successful masses that spend more time hiking than posting on the internet.

Think comfort and reliability. Ignore popular, cheap, or "ideal".

ScareBear
02-25-2017, 18:56

Many brands are a step up. Both in quality and less weight. And, more money...

The Osprey Exos 58 comes in at 2.5 pounds and is a good pack for the AT. $220

The Granite Gear Crown VC60 is slightly lighter and slightly less money and is also a good pack for the AT. $220.

Perhaps more comfortable, with more space, but at a higher weight, is the Gregory Z65. On sale at REI Garage for $165. 3.25 pounds.

Get a pack that fits you. Many will tell you to sort out your gear first, so you know exactly what size and weight rating your pack will need to be. That is fine, but your pack still needs to fit you.

You should be able to try on the Osprey and the Gregory at any REI store. I think some have the GraniteGear and some don't. I think they all used to....

Try to keep your pack's weight to 3 pounds or less. Almost anything more is overkill for the AT...

MuddyWaters
02-25-2017, 20:22
REI packs are less expensive and have a good reputation.

But generally you are better off buying used high quality gear instead of new , lower quality gear.

There can be diamonds in the rough, but finding them cant be done on looks. You cant guage material and stitching quality on appearance. China makes lots of stuff that looks good, and fails miserably.

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2017, 21:04
REI packs are less expensive and have a good reputation.

But generally you are better off buying used high quality gear instead of new , lower quality gear.

There can be diamonds in the rough, but finding them cant be done on looks. You cant guage material and stitching quality on appearance. China makes lots of stuff that looks good, and fails miserably.

This ^^^ A lot of used gear has been used only a few times. Often the owner found it didn't suit their needs, or they found they didn't like hiking, or they are gear junkies (that aren't also gear hoarders). Shop here on WB, backpackinglight (.com), ebay, etc. Get great gear at 1/2 price. Also look for clearance sales from outfitters on last years "latest and greatest". REI garage sales can often offer up good returned gear at great prices too.

AfterParty
02-25-2017, 21:48
Mystery ranch and Dana designs on eBay or Craigslist you can get some for a great price and they are great quality very durable and built to haul a heavier load well. A+ gear but on the heavy side. But you can haul 30 lbs very comfortably. Some may be pretty high priced but you find a good used one with some years left in it if you are patient. My suggestion. Good luck with what ever you end up with.

Smithereens
02-26-2017, 00:28
I had a High Sierra Hawk 45, it was very heavy for a 45L pack and the hip belt was not properly attatched... not too comfortable overall. The warranty service was pretty good, they wanted my to send them a pic of my old pack with a 4"x6" hole cut in it and they would send me my choice of a new replacement pack (due to the hip belt).

I didnt like any of their current packs, so I repaired the Hawk and gave it to a homeless guy.

For a low cost pack that is decent, you might look at the Kelty Redwing. It's not a bad pack at all once you learn how to load it. Amazon has them in Coyote brown for $79.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6B2ZA/ref=twister_B00AAU281Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Shutterbug
02-26-2017, 11:46
Anyone tried High Sierra pack for any length of time? My wife and I are planning a thru hike of the Tuscarora on somewhat of a budget. Not afraid to spend a bit more but don't necessarily have an Osprey budget. While I am asking...is 75L an overkill? We are eventually going to do the AT and I tend to be a pack mule but have heard some men say 60L is plenty.

I have been using a High Sierra, Tangent from Costco. It is 45L and costs less than $40. It is a little on the heavy side compared to the GoLite packs I have used, but it has performed well. I have used it for up to five night hikes. I have a GoLite Jam that I use when I need to carry more.

In my opinion, 75L is overkill. I have a Dana Designs pack about that size that I used to use for long hikes. I have not used it in several years because it is just too big. I have decided that if I can't get it in my 45L, I don't really need it.

CassSarahSilvius
05-04-2017, 09:08
thanks for all the help. i settled on a SMD fusion 50 and ive put some miles on it and for the price have absolutely no complaints. it took some getting used to going from my army issued ruck to a lightweight 50L pack but i still have plenty of room to spare and im not a completely lightweight hiker. the customer support was great all in all a good experience.