PDA

View Full Version : Dinner for thru hikers along trail in NC

pilarje
01-23-2006, 22:32
My wife and I are interested in finding a shelter along the portion of the AT in North Carolina and cooking dinner for thru hikers making the trip this year. I wanted to find suggestions of places that past thru hikers would have loved to meet some people from the outside world with hot food they didn't have to carry.

1. Is early April the best time to pick a weekend?

2. Which shelter/camping area would be the best?

3. What foods would be desirable after 1 month or so of hiking?

I think this would be a great opportunity to meet some folks face to face and see what they have learned after several weeks of hiking. My wife and I plan to attempt the trail in the upcoming years and love getting inspired. Hope to meet some of you soon. Thanks.

wyclif
01-23-2006, 22:39
Wow, what a nice Trail Magic offer. I would read the "Resupply" articles section on this site, find the article that talks about resupply on the NC portion of the AT, and if you can choose any site, choose the one that's not near a popular hiker resupply point.

If I see you I'll be sure to stop! :-)

Q: "What foods would be desirable after 1 month or so of hiking?"
A: Anything high in calories and fat with a strong flavour.

Thanks again!

Hikerhead
01-23-2006, 22:41
On top of Roan Mtn or at the Beauty Spot would be two places. You can drive to both and set up right there. A nice cold something would be wonderful after climbing Roan I would think.

ScottP
01-23-2006, 23:56
I've never thru-hiked but after every one of my week-long trips I've craved fresh foods: fruits, vegetables, and meat.

RITBlake
01-24-2006, 01:09
Make sure the SOBOs get some lovin come late october, early november!

RITBlake
01-24-2006, 01:10
Make sure the SOBOs get some lovin come late october, early november!

cravings: anything that wasn't cooked w/ boiling water or game in a wrapper (cliff/snickers bars) so.. fresh fruit! salad! we got an amazing meal of fried chicken and potatoes. Just after we crossed the mason dixon line, what was the name of that park? we slept on the stage of that pavilion

khaynie
01-24-2006, 01:18
cravings: anything that wasn't cooked w/ boiling water or game in a wrapper (cliff/snickers bars) so.. fresh fruit! salad! we got an amazing meal of fried chicken and potatoes. Just after we crossed the mason dixon line, what was the name of that park? we slept on the stage of that pavilion

Pen Mar Park. We got some fried chicken, too. What an appropriate welcome to the South, huh?

Nean
01-24-2006, 01:23

Pen Mar

Near davenport gap/ I-40 or max patch

Chicken, burgers, hot dogs, stew, salad and there are quite a few vegetarians on the trail too

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 14:42
Hikers should note that it's now illegal to overnight in Pen Mar Park, but the good news is if you continue North, a few tenths of a mile, there's an excellent campsite. However, bring water from the Park, as the stream by this campsite is NOT potable.

To Pilarje: Nice idea!

You'll obviously want to pick a spot very close to a road or parking lot. A few quick ideas off the top of my head in North Carolina:

*Rock Gap Shelter
*Wayah Bald
*Fontana Dam Shelter

I think Fontana would probably be best as it's car accessible, has plenty of table space, running water, and is also not exactly a "wilderness" spot, i.e. bringing a dinner or picnic supper here, or throwing a cookout won't exactly be interfering with anyone's "wilderness experience", so nobody will be able to complain about what you're doing.

Max Power
01-24-2006, 14:54
I like the Fontana idea since I will be there. As I told Pilarje my wife could make a nice AT cake to wash everything down. Maybe we could work out a mass resuplly run as well.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 15:35
Hi, I emailed you about this. Please check my post about Breakfast on Rocky Bald March 25 and 26. JJ

Lone Wolf
01-24-2006, 15:38
Are these feeds "thru-hiker only"?

Chef2000
01-24-2006, 15:42
Fontana would be great plenty of picnic areas, just remeber NO ALCOHOL on TVA property.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 15:42
Are these feeds "thru-hiker only"?LW, The one on Rocky Bald is for anyone and everyone. I hope you can make it.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2006, 15:44
LW, The one on Rocky Bald is for anyone and everyone. I hope you can make it.
I won't be there but offering food to ALL hikers is a good thing. Thanks for the offer.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 08:54
Good morning, I would like to invite you and anyone else at WhiteBlaze to join me on August 25 and 26 to help me provide a thru hiker feed campout get together AT Rocky Bald, 1 and one half miles south of Tellico gap. It's a beautiful camping spot. For more details see my post about free breakfast for thru hikers. JJ

Frosty
01-25-2006, 09:50
Are these feeds "thru-hiker only"?Of course! What kind of low-life section hiker would come upon a hiker-feed at the Fontana Hilton and try to sneak some food. I mean, that would never happen.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 15:18
I must be on everybody's ignore list except you, LW. I'm getting no response to my posts. Pilarje, I haven't heard a word from you about the thru hiker feed on Black Bald on March 25 and 26. I was hoping we could hook up and do it together. I'm gonna need some help cuz I just had knee surgery.

neo
01-25-2006, 15:33
i think what your doing is awesome,i know the people ya feed are really gonna love ya for it:cool: neo

digger51
01-25-2006, 21:26
I think you are doing a very nie thing for hikers. One question or concern..will many thru hikers be near there in late August? Or was that just a typo?

Krewzer
01-26-2006, 01:47
I've got to agree with the Fontana thing. For the third year now, the Rabbit and I, along with our wives will be doing burgers and stuff this Easter Sunday at the Fontana Hilton. You and your wife would be welcome to join us if you like. It works like this, we start around noon, the cup cakes go first, then all the soft drinks, then the marshmellow bunnies and chicks, not sure when the chocolate disappears, the eggs get eaten when the sweets are gone, and somewhere during all this about 50 burgers and an many hotdogs are consumed.
It's always a blast!

Hiker MOochers Welcome.

Gray Blazer
01-26-2006, 10:36
I think you are doing a very nie thing for hikers. One question or concern..will many thru hikers be near there in late August? Or was that just a typo?
Wow!! What was I thinking NOT AUGUST..........MARCH 25 and 26 Thankyou:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ...............:sun :sun :sun :sun

ScottP
01-30-2006, 13:47
Where are black bald/tellico gap? I don't have my data book and my only current resource is the online companion. Also, what time will your hiker feed be at?

Nean
01-30-2006, 14:06
Tellico Gap (site of a once famous hostel) is 8m south of Wesser, NC

Sly
01-30-2006, 16:07
Tellico Gap (site of a once famous hostel) is 8m south of Wesser, NC

What's ole Waffle King up to these days? Along with Swiss Miss (AT '98) he may have been the only other I've run into on all three TC trails.

Gray Blazer
01-31-2006, 15:20
That wasn't a typo, it was an idiotical mistake. :datz The get together-thru hiker feed is MARCH 25-26 AT rocky Bald south of Tellico Gap

Gray Blazer
01-31-2006, 15:27
Where are black bald/tellico gap? I don't have my data book and my only current resource is the online companion. Also, what time will your hiker feed be at?
Black Bald is approx 5-7 miles north of Wayah Bald in the Nantahalas, NC. Tellico Gap is one and one half miles south of Wesser Bald, NC. I am planning on getting there the night before and I plan on starting early, say 8:00 and I will be there all day Sat and Sunday (I have to work Monday so I will Probably pack up @4:00).

mweinstone
02-01-2006, 18:51
chips,dip,soda,fruit,lemonade,hummas and pita bread,fried chicken,stuffing,meatloaf with ketchup,yogurt,apple cider,potatoe salad,cole slaw,peas and carrots and lima beans,cake,orange juice,cookies,bread and butter,penney candies including;mary janes,pepermint,sour balls,bubble gum and kisses,tea ,honey,rice crispy treats,babbaganush,carrots,russian dressing,blue cheese dressing,celery,salad with oil and double vi*****,parmagoni cheese,cream cheese,crackers,turkey,wings,pbj sandwitches,soup,and if you forget even one of these items,........well just dont,.......cause,,.......cause we got your e mail buddy,.............dont make any sudden moves,............just put the foon on the trail and back away.well take it from here.we dont want any one getting hurt.,............allright!,.........on your,.mark,.......get set,.............devour!eat the man too !!! hes getting away!!!!!!!eat the car!!!!!!!!!!!!burp,.............................. ...ahhhhhhhhhhh,..................thems was some good eats!