PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance Question

bfox
02-27-2017, 17:19
My wife and I are quitting our job and losing employer sponsored health insurance to hike the trail this year.

I am looking to pick up an ACA plan... I would realistically only use these for an ER visit or maybe an urgent care for something like Lyme disease. None of these plans will have in-network coverage along the trail, but I can still use for out of network ER visits. The ER benefits generally require a copay around $250 and a deductible be met... the cheap ones with a deductible in the range of $5000 and the better ones in the range of $500.

I was thinking about getting the cheapest ACA plan to avoid the tax penalty ($700/person in 2017), and also getting a travel insurance plan for if anything actually happens that requires we see a doctor. World Nomads quoted $900 for both of us for the whole trip. We will be 100 miles from home as required by the plan.

I have seen a lot of posts where people recommend getting travel insurance, but I was wondering what peoples experiences were when they actually had to file a claim? Were medical claims approved relatively easily, or were things denied? Did anyone make claims for lost, stolen or broken gear? Did anyone make claims for trip interruption expenses for having to leave the trail to go home for a funeral or another type of family emergency?

Any information or any other ideas for insurance would be appreciated.

ScareBear
02-27-2017, 21:47
Be sure you read and understand the limitations of that policy. Know that once the "emergency" ends, so does the coverage for anything else related to the accident/illness.

I'd look into Short Term Insurance...here's a link...

https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/short-term-health-insurance

Slo-go'en
02-27-2017, 21:56
The way I figure it, the insurance company is betting nothing is going to happen to me, so I might as well make that bet too. So far it's paid off...

rocketsocks
02-27-2017, 22:01
Travel insurance and medical insurance are two very different things.

DapperD
02-27-2017, 22:12
There is an older Thread here that you may find helpful:https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/57608-Health-Insurance

Traveler
03-03-2017, 09:05
Travel insurance and medical insurance are two very different things.

Very true. Be sure the difference is understood.

Recently leaving an employer, you have the option of continuing their health insurance plan through COBRA. Though it would cost more, as you will pay the full cost the employer pays, it will probably be the best option once the open enrollment period of ACA exchanges close.

BillyGr
03-03-2017, 12:57
Very true. Be sure the difference is understood.

Recently leaving an employer, you have the option of continuing their health insurance plan through COBRA. Though it would cost more, as you will pay the full cost the employer pays, it will probably be the best option once the open enrollment period of ACA exchanges close.

Although there is something about not having to stay within the open times if an event occurs (as would here if leaving a job thus losing insurance from that)?