PDA

View Full Version : What did you do this week to prepare?

Pages : [1] 2

Stone1984
02-28-2017, 08:03
I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can post what we have done recently to prepare for a Hike on the AT. This will help me with different things I could do to get gear ready and physically ready.

I will start.

1. Took the family on a day hike to Chimney Rock on saturday. This was a good prep for the uphills I believe. Me and the boys went to the very top past the flag and it was good to see that I am not quite as ready as I thought.
2. Purchased a few gear related items yesterday. Got a new day pack, Z-Seat, and picked up 2 pair of ExOfficio underwear
3. Doing tons of reaserch on tents this week. This is the main piece of gear I am missing and think I have it narrowed down to 2 different tents.

Busky2
02-28-2017, 08:35
In the last week...
I walked my local trail 8 miles every day.
Last Thurs. I hiked, with pack, from the Del Water Gap to Millbrook Village on the AT is was a wonderful day
Every night go down the basement and hit the Stair Stepper
Eat better and take a multi-vitamin

ScareBear
02-28-2017, 08:41
I really don't do anything specific to prepare for the AT...

Other than hiking at least 20 miles a week. But, that is a lifestyle thing, not an AT prep thing...

I always have dehy food in one of the gear bins, along with a spare purifier filter and full gas canisters...but that's just general preparedness to get outside...

I am a gear freak, but I have enough gear already to outfit at least 5 people for an AT thru hike...so...yah..prepared...just sayin...

Once you get your kit sorted out, prep for the AT is simply a matter of keeping your trail legs....

colorado_rob
02-28-2017, 09:57
We're hitting the AT next week, so this week is a "taper" on the legs. We've been hitting it hard on the legs here all winter, time to rest up a bit, so it's all about some easy/gentle downhill skiing, biking and swimming this week.

And yeah, yesterday something like our 45th trip to REI so far this year for one more pair of socks....

johnspenn
02-28-2017, 10:09
Did a 22 mile day hike week before last from Neel Gap to Unicoi Gap.

Did three separate day hikes last week from Unicoi Gap in GA up to Sassafrass Gap in NC, 12-14 miles each.

Various training in between.

Going to attempt a 30 mile day from either Springer to Neel or from Woody to Unicoi, hopefully late April/early May.

Have a backpacking trip scheduled in April and working on planning a longer one later in the month. I could thru with the gear I currently own but of course I'd like to upgrade a few things.

I don't see a thru in my future but I feel like I'm as ready right now as I've ever been if I were about to start one.

Francis Sawyer
02-28-2017, 12:49
I stopped bathing / grooming regularly and wore the same clothes for 10 days without laundering.:)

RangerZ
02-28-2017, 13:04
I stopped bathing / grooming regularly and wore the same clothes for 10 days without laundering.:)

I hadn't realized that I was in training. :banana

SawnieRobertson
02-28-2017, 13:15
I lost 5 burdensome pounds,

Traffic Jam
02-28-2017, 13:30
In the last week...

cleaned and organized the gear mess
burned off three nearly-empty fuel canisters
ordered supplies for a diy tarp and several cuben fiber bags
studied my Foothills Trail map
sit ups
push ups
planks
weights
cycling
spin class
trail/greenway running

and worked so I can afford to go hiking

Traffic Jam
02-28-2017, 13:30

Good job.

:banana

saltysack
02-28-2017, 14:09
Waisted hours reading these white blaze posts.....wishing I was outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christoph
02-28-2017, 14:19
Went to the doc and had a lung test and EKG test completed on the ole ticker. Blood test results will be back soon. Basically a full checkup.
Still working on reducing weight. Took a little more off the pack and tent. Looking into long sleeve shirts lighter than this sweatshirt I carry.
Walking full incline at 3.8 mph on the treadmill for an hour each day.
Just overall trying to get myself physically prepared but also mentally. Making sure things at home will be good to go while I'm gone so the wife has no issues (cars, house, etc...)

Dogwood
02-28-2017, 14:24
Your thread is a good way to hold yourself accountable, to build momentum, and note hiking development. If you want give me your email and I can yell at you every day to do more.:D

Thru-hikes are always on the agenda. Like SB many crossover lifestyle choices apply to LDH. Everyday I think about hiking, seriously. Can't go food shopping without thinking about what foods apply to backpacking or by construction sites looking in the dumpster for Tyvek or some stuff to make something for backpacking. Driving down the road as a passenger on the interstate I note good places I'd like to camp or hike. I feel like a 14 yr old boy going through hiking puberty.

Sleep outside 100+ days/yr in a quilt or sleeping bag. Actually slept inside in a hiking quilt the last two nights.

Last week completed a shakedown hike of 138 miles that included as much elevation change as I could get in which was an extended FHT thru-hike. 6 nights 6 days which is good for me as a I develop into better condition and form.

Made at home food that I will eat on trail in my trail stove and in trail cook pot. Ate it outside under a trail tarp in the rain. Prepackaged 20 dinners tweaking them nutritionally for longer hikes adding more fat and nutrients for increased energy needs.

Playing tennis 20 hrs per week.

Purchased two new prs of Altra Olympus 2.0 trail runners. Ran a short 6 miler in one pr. Shoes felt GREAT! Will add 8 lb day pack next time out. Increase the pack to 15 las over the next 30 days.

Just revamped cook stove line up to include a new Zelph Venom alchy stove. This is what I made my dinner on the last two nights.

Ordered some Outdoor Herbivore food products and new Hemp Sprouting Bag to replace old one.

Next full day off rain, snow, or heat going to Atlanta Botanical Gardens and downtown Atlanta for the day. Walking the entire day with a loaded 2o lb backpack wearing the shoes, socks, and apparel I will for the next hike. checking out some new layering combos.

Last heavy rain walked four miler in a new MB Versalite Rain Jacket just to check it out and HANZ WP socks. Both passed the gear Litmus test.

Reducing coffee/caffeine intake.

Getting re-accustomed to going to sleep by 11 p.m and waking up at 5:30-6 a.m with no alarm clock.

Demoing several new sock brands.

Came here to be further inspired by what others are hiking and doing. However, the closer I get to the start date the more I wean myself off electronics.

Just ordered Wilderness maps for the next thru-hike - the Big Foot Tr. Also ordered additional maps for a PNWT and WA PCT long section hike taking some recommended alternates. Will order Skurka's Kings Canyon High Basin Route maps this week. Last week checked resupply options for a 700 mile segment of the Cali Coastal Tr which I now have a solid handle on.

Drooping 10 lbs of body weight which will entirely be aimed at body fat reduction. Removing or reducing oils and butter and fried foods that have crept into diet.

Jumping 20 mins non stop on trampoline 3x/wk.

Walking more curbs than ever.

Making mental notes and long term evaluations about two recent injuries - a broken clavicle and stretched knee ligaments - and how that may need to be addressed on a LD hike medically.

Having loooong overdue dental work strings tied off. Much more expensive, time consuming, problematic(infections, longer recovery time, etc), and possibly painful if done once on trail.

Working on my hiker tan in FL the last 5 days. :D

JPritch
02-28-2017, 14:58
This past weekend did SOBO Priest Saturday and Sharp Top Sunday. This coming weekend, I'm looking at Old Rag Saturday and something shorter for Sunday. I lift and run during the week.

saltysack
02-28-2017, 15:13
Forgot to add...sitting in my Docs office to refill my Vit I 800mg prescription and get steroid shot in my elbow! Paddling 300 miles in 7 days with tennis elbow should be fun!!! Add the Everglades skeeters and heat should be a blast!!

colorado_rob
02-28-2017, 15:21
Forgot to add...sitting in my Docs office to refill my Vit I 800mg prescription and get steroid shot in my elbow! Paddling 300 miles in 7 days with tennis elbow should be fun!!! Add the Everglades skeeters and heat should be a blast!!
This is a serious question, not bad-mounting your 800mg prescription, but is there any difference between those 800mg pills and simply 4 200mg generic ibuprofen at roughly 1.5 cents a tablet (store brand, 500 tablets for less than $8)? I've just always wondered, perhaps there really is a difference, or perhaps you just like the convenience.

One more current training regimen: Trying to GAIN about 5 pounds before next week, anticipating losing over twice that over the next 6 weeks; I'm a firm believer of pre-gaining a bit of fat, then running in a slight calorie deficit, this has always seemed to work well for me.

Dogwood
02-28-2017, 15:31
Saw my hiking slush fund (HSF so no one knows) that I regularly put $25-$50 each wk was looking sweet. Just ordered and received a Lone Star Tr Guidebook. Will 120 mile thru-hike that in a 4-5 day short wk 3 wks from now as another shakedown hike. Will do some other stuff around Houston walking the city almost all the time. Will seek to drop 4 lbs alone over those 4-5 days. Costing $340 total with all flights between Atlanta and Houston, trail food, and door to door shuttles pre arranged. Already had all gear.

Nodust
02-28-2017, 15:38
Waking 8 miles in quickly on my days off work. 3 miles on work days.

Every other week 15 mile days two days in a row. Just working on better form and consistent pacing now. Will add weight and slow down later.

Always looking at fear and improvements. Not really weight savings but quicker setup and takedown, meal prep. Would rather be hiking or resting than busy campwork.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Nodust
02-28-2017, 15:40
I never thought of trampoline for exercise. Kids have one I may have to try.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Dogwood
02-28-2017, 15:45
This is a serious question, not bad-mounting your 800mg prescription, but is there any difference between those 800mg pills and simply 4 200mg generic ibuprofen at roughly 1.5 cents a tablet (store brand, 500 tablets for less than $8)? I've just always wondered, perhaps there really is a difference, or perhaps you just like the convenience.

One more current training regimen: Trying to GAIN about 5 pounds before next week, anticipating losing over twice that over the next 6 weeks; I'm a firm believer of pre-gaining a bit of fat, then running in a slight calorie deficit, this has always seemed to work well for me.

I'll give ya the 5 lbs I'm going to lose. :)

Bill came for the emergency ride in the ambulance I recently experienced. Requested an itemized bill. The 25 mpg of brain numbing Fentanyl I finally agreed to after having it pushed on me 4 times before I agreed, which was the lowest dose they had, and I was told would not adversely affect me cognitively, cost $124. No wonder why pharmaceutical pain, anxiety, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory drug manufacturers want to keep cannabis illegal. Some ENORMOUS SUMS OF MONEY being made in the pharmaceutical industry particularly in this pill popping there's a "safe" when used as directed pill for every thing U.S. culture where the owners don't want a competing self medicating product.

Traffic Jam
02-28-2017, 16:09

Bill came for the emergency ride in the ambulance I recently experienced. Requested an itemized bill. The 25 mpg of brain numbing Fentanyl I finally agreed to after having it pushed on me 4 times before I agreed, which was the lowest dose they had, and I was told would not adversely affect me cognitively, cost $124. No wonder why pharmaceutical pain, anxiety, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory drug manufacturers want to keep cannabis illegal. Some ENORMOUS SUMS OF MONEY being made in the pharmaceutical industry particularly in this pill popping there's a "safe" when used as directed pill for every thing U.S. culture where the owners don't want a competing self medicating product.

Hope you're doing okay. :)

Can we please not turn another thread into a pro/con medication debate?

Have fun on your upcoming trip.

saltysack
02-28-2017, 16:17

No difference just easier to take 3 per day vs 12......is a few mg lighter...kidding

orthofingers
02-28-2017, 16:37
Ordered an Evernew 2L bag for my "dirty" water container. They've become a bit pricey but it will work perfectly with the Sawyer Sqeeze, cut-down cyclone adapter and a 2liter plastic bottle or 2 1 liter Smart Water bottles in a gravity configuration.

HelveticHiker
02-28-2017, 16:45
Oh wow, I think, not even at the end of the hike I will be as prepared as Dogwood is before his hike! Kudos to Dogwood!

That's what I did this week (so far!):

- Sunday: set up the brandnew tent (Marmot Force UL) for the first time in the living room - it rained so I didnt want to do it outdoors... the tent is great, setup idiot-proof and it stands alone not possible to set pegs in the livingroom floor ;-)
- Monday: study all the new threads in WB during work, in the evening went to my outfitter to try on (once more!) the hiking shoes I want to buy (Lowa Renegades), decided to buy them but had to order it over the store online shop because they did not have the colour I like on the shelf...
- today: realized its only 48 day to the start of my section hike, 5 min of panic, than downloaded the Guthooks Guide or rather the two sections I need... now playing around with it
Tomorrow: how knows ;-)

ScareBear
02-28-2017, 19:44

Anytime I am in an ambulance as a patient, I would sure as heck hope that I got some pain meds...Fentanyl is some powerful stuff....I'd be more than OK with that....I mean...I'm in an ambulance...if I am conscious, I bet it is painful as hell or I wouldn't be in an ambulance...just sayin.....*YMMV*

*Your Medicines May Vary*

Dogwood
02-28-2017, 20:14
Hope you're doing okay. :)

Can we please not turn another thread into a pro/con medication debate?

Have fun on your upcoming trip.

Doing OK. Golfball sized spur on my clavicle though. Feels weird.

For you yes of course. ;)

Dogwood
02-28-2017, 20:15
Your medicines may vary. YMMV. LOL. Best I've heard in awhile. Right up there with "free yourself from stuff sackery." :)

Nanatuk
02-28-2017, 20:55
With the unseasonably mild February weather, I've been able to get out and hike 5 miles every morning last week. Doing 5 at 5 am. I also switched to trail runners and have been wearing my trail clothes to test them out. I'm happy with my layers, switched from no name wool socks to smart wool, my precip rain coat works great and been getting used to walking with two hiking sticks.

I've done 11 miles this week, plan on continuing 5 at 5, and hoping to throw in a 15 miler on the weekend.

Odd Man Out
02-28-2017, 20:58
I used the last scraps of my cut up car sun screen to build a new pot cozy. I also need a new wind screen. My last one was sacrificed in a misguided experiment.

saltysack
02-28-2017, 21:06
With the unseasonably mild February weather, I've been able to get out and hike 5 miles every morning last week. Doing 5 at 5 am. I also switched to trail runners and have been wearing my trail clothes to test them out. I'm happy with my layers, switched from no name wool socks to smart wool, my precip rain coat works great and been getting used to walking with two hiking sticks.

I've done 11 miles this week, plan on continuing 5 at 5, and hoping to throw in a 15 miler on the weekend.

Go donate blood...locally they we're giving out the sun shades...I declined... I have enough junk!

AfterParty
02-28-2017, 21:25
I slept in my hammock

Stone1984
03-01-2017, 07:10
Well Last night I has a spare 30 min so I used that time to go through and weigh more of my gear. Trying to keep my excel sheet up to date with all my supplies. Really need to purchase the tent so I can do a real shakedown hike soon.

gracebowen
03-01-2017, 10:05
Your medicines may vary. YMMV. LOL. Best I've heard in awhile. Right up there with "free yourself from stuff sackery." :)

Im glad you are ok. What happened?

gracebowen
03-01-2017, 10:07
I went out Friday for a weekend but it turned into an avernight. Still I had fun and learned a few things. I planned a weekend trip for the last weekend in March.

KnightErrant
03-01-2017, 14:24
I did some hiking in the Atlas Mountains over the weekend!

I'm hoping for a 2018 thru but every time I make it out of the city, I dream of quitting my job and going this year.

In other preparation/ general fitness improvement, I'm starting crossfit with my new flatmate on Friday. Based on the reputation, I expect to either get addicted or else perhaps die?

We shall see.

TN James
03-01-2017, 14:36
March 24th NOBO

Hiked 8 miles with my full pack on both Saturday and Sunday (16 miles total for the weekend). Plan to do this every weekend until I leave.
Packed and unpacked my pack about 3 or 4 times.
Picked up another pair of trail runners on sale that I plan to mail to myself somewhere between Fontana and Erwin. I've put about 150-200 miles on my current pair.
Started trying to get in the habit stretching. Currently recovering from plantar fasciitis and patella tendinitis from my section hike in Georgia this past fall (Springer to Dicks Creek). I started off way too fast and learned my lesson the hard way. Planning to stay below ~12 miles per day until Hot springs.
Cutting way back on drinking starting this week until I leave.
Filed my tax return.

Dogwood
03-01-2017, 14:38
I did some hiking in the Atlas Mountains over the weekend!

I'm hoping for a 2018 thru but every time I make it out of the city, I dream of quitting my job and going this year.

In other preparation/ general fitness improvement, I'm starting crossfit with my new flatmate on Friday. Based on the reputation, I expect to either get addicted or else perhaps die?

We shall see.

That's hiking dedication. You went all the way to northern Africa to the Atlas Mts for a weekend hike. :D

KnightErrant
03-01-2017, 15:05
I live in Casablanca, so about 3 1/2 hours to the Ourika Valley in the high Atlas. Not to say that I'm NOT dedicated... :D

(Does my profile still say Virginia? I'm from Virginia, but I currently reside in Morocco.)

Wyoming
03-01-2017, 15:11
My standard non-training week is about 30-35 miles of trail hiking with minimal extra weight - other than the extra pounds I have gained by not hiking more lol.

As I am now ramping up for a 110 mile Grand Canyon hike in less than 3 weeks I am hiking about 70 mile weeks with about 1/2 of a full pack weight. Two weeks from now I will do about a 70 mile week with a full pack load in the mountains near where I live. I consider the GC hike just an advanced training hike for later in the year so I am not really training hard yet.

Following the GC hike I will start training in earnest for a PCT hike and then I will extend the weekly mileage from the 70 to 100 to and then at least 1 week before I start of around 140 miles with full pack in the mountains. Then I taper a bit for a week at about 70 miles before I start the PCT. This is a bit more than I did last year but this year with the huge snow loads in the mountains along the whole trail I expect that the hiking window will be much shorter than usual and one will need to be able to go 7 days a week at 25-30 mpd so that requires more prep as there will not be time to get in shape on trail much at all.

I do not lift weights at all nor do I run or bicycle (mostly this is because the back does not allow it anymore not that I think it is a bad idea - though a lot of upper body mass from weight lifting will definitely slow you down when it comes to hiking big miles every day). I sometimes do get into swimming a fair amount but never more than 2 miles a day and usually just 1. So not much else but hiking.

jimmyjam
03-01-2017, 15:43
M,W,F I walk for 30 min during lunch break, walk the dog for 30 min when I get home, and ride my bike 1 hr. T,TH,Sat I walk for 30 min during lunch, walk the dog for 30 min when I get home and do weight training for 30 min. M,T,W,TH,F, Sat I do 25 to 35 sit ups and 25 push ups in the morning and repeat again in the evening. Saturday I bike ride 10 to 12 miles. Sunday is my rest or make up day. Day hike the SNP once a month. But I'm just a LASHER.

ldsailor
03-02-2017, 15:11

Slacker. Let me know when you double that and then you might be ready.

ldsailor
03-02-2017, 15:24
Received my new Zpack Arc Haul and Montell sleeping bag. Put the bag, sleeping pad, and tent in the pack and realized over 3 lbs of weight savings over what I used last year for a NOBO section hike from Springer, which covered a quarter of the AT.

I loved my Osprey Atmos 65 and Big Agnes sleep system last year, but they were just too heavy. I'm going to load the rest of my gear this weekend and go to a state park trail to test them out.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2017, 16:03
I pushed through three foot deep rotten snow to climb Mt. Greylock and then got pinned down by mid-February thunder-snow at the summit. Pretty sure I watched the monument get struck.

Lnj
03-02-2017, 16:11
Waisted hours reading these white blaze posts.....wishing I was outside!

Yep. Me too. I'm sad and jealous, but not at all bitter. :p

Odd Man Out
03-02-2017, 17:04
I live in Casablanca, so about 3 1/2 hours to the Ourika Valley in the high Atlas. Not to say that I'm NOT dedicated... :D

(Does my profile still say Virginia? I'm from Virginia, but I currently reside in Morocco.)

I've been wanting to go to Morocco. PBS is running a series now on the history of African civilizations and last night's episode featured the great civilizations of Morocco from about 1000 years ago. Very cool. Does everyone go to Rick's?

RangerZ
03-02-2017, 21:55

My father visited Morocco on the US Army 1942 tour. Didn't like it for some reason.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2017, 23:38
I'm still trying to decide if the gear I got now with a few 1,000 miles on it still have life in it, or if I should spend a bunch of money on new stuff.

shelb
03-02-2017, 23:47
I ran 3 times and did the stair stepper twice. It is strange, but I find the stair stepper to be the thing that takes the most out of me. When I run, I only sweat in certain areas; however, on the stair stepper, I sweat EVERYWHERE - even my wrists and ankles!

KnightErrant
03-03-2017, 09:20
@ Odd Man Out: Yeah, Rick's is the major tourist destination, that and the Hassan II, one of the biggest mosques in the world, set impressively at the edge of the Atlantic. Otherwise, Casablanca (for all the romance of the name) is a pretty industrial city. The more historical and beautiful cities are inland (Marrakesh, Fez) or up north near the Mediterranean coast (Tangier, Tetuan). Not much ancient civilization here in Casa, but it's a cool place to live nonetheless. The major drawback is the distance from good hiking! At home I'm just south of Pearisburg, VA, so here I've been experiencing major AT withdrawal.

@ RangerZ: Another person warned me against moving here as a young woman, relating a personal anecdote that women are expected to walk a few steps behind men and be generally submissive. As it happened, that person had visited Morocco in the late 1950's. I pointed out that at that time, African Americans couldn't drink from white water fountains, so we weren't exactly an oasis of human rights then either. xD

I recommend visiting now and judging for yourself! The Atlas Mountains are worth it...

greensleep
03-03-2017, 09:26
reserved my flights to Maine, reserved my campsite in Baxter state park, packed, unpacked, repacked backpack, set up tent, practiced with alcohol stove, worried, fretted, 2nd guessed myself, worried again and walked a lot. (SoBo)

greensleep
03-03-2017, 09:27
reserved my flights to Maine, reserved my campsite in Baxter state park, packed, unpacked, repacked backpack, set up tent, practiced with alcohol stove, worried, fretted, 2nd guessed myself, worried again and walked a lot. (SoBo)

and, oh yeah, retired.

Stone1984
03-05-2017, 16:18
Got in 2 new pair of Exoffico underwear in and went on a long run/walk. Figured out I don't think I need the extra length on the legs.

theory
03-06-2017, 12:17
Since I am a barefoot hiker, I regularly soak my feet in a bucket of ice water. I don't recommend doing this as the first time you do it it is pretty painful. I've also been walking on everything that I can get my feet on. I am not really a fan of stepping in mud for some reason. Puddles are fine but cold. That is my main issue is having to deal with extremely cold feet as the ground is cold most of the time. Heat doesn't bother me as far as walking on hot surfaces. I can easily stick my feet in really hot water with no issues. My hands on the other hand are literally the same way and I think I will be soaking them in ice as well since I will not have any gloves with me so I need to get them used to being cold.

By the way, I am going stoveless so I am testing out dry foods and I have to say that eating dry ramen sucks! I am gonna try out the dry soak method where you soak the ramen in an empty peanut butter jar. Hopefully that will taste better. I think they said soak it for about 30 minutes. Should I add half the seasoning packet into the water? I assume so since I don't want to just eat the powder raw. Any tips of getting used to dry foods that you are used to cooking would be great.

colorado_rob
03-06-2017, 14:02
Leaving tomorrow for Georgia, we (wife and I) did a stupid thing and climbed a big-vertical peak (Rosalie peak, 13,550', 4400' climb) yesterday, totally wasted my legs (my wife is fine....) in snowshoes and big buffeting winds most of the way, not sure what we were thinking, way over-trained, should have kept to a pure taper this week, oh well! Off for a last upper body workout for many weeks....

Stone1984
03-06-2017, 17:02
Leaving tomorrow for Georgia, we (wife and I) did a stupid thing and climbed a big-vertical peak (Rosalie peak, 13,550', 4400' climb) yesterday, totally wasted my legs (my wife is fine....) in snowshoes and big buffeting winds most of the way, not sure what we were thinking, way over-trained, should have kept to a pure taper this week, oh well! Off for a last upper body workout for many weeks....

If your familiar with CT Fletcher then you will understand me saying there is no such thing as overtraining.

Longboysfan
03-10-2017, 16:57
Got my new sleeping pad at REI. Gear is all set.
Set up my pack to carry 30 lbs plus on my last long test hike before the real on starting next Sunday.
Got the food ready to pack - well other than my lunches.

Longboysfan
03-10-2017, 16:59
Since I am a barefoot hiker, I regularly soak my feet in a bucket of ice water. I don't recommend doing this as the first time you do it it is pretty painful. I've also been walking on everything that I can get my feet on. I am not really a fan of stepping in mud for some reason. Puddles are fine but cold. That is my main issue is having to deal with extremely cold feet as the ground is cold most of the time. Heat doesn't bother me as far as walking on hot surfaces. I can easily stick my feet in really hot water with no issues. My hands on the other hand are literally the same way and I think I will be soaking them in ice as well since I will not have any gloves with me so I need to get them used to being cold.

By the way, I am going stoveless so I am testing out dry foods and I have to say that eating dry ramen sucks! I am gonna try out the dry soak method where you soak the ramen in an empty peanut butter jar. Hopefully that will taste better. I think they said soak it for about 30 minutes. Should I add half the seasoning packet into the water? I assume so since I don't want to just eat the powder raw. Any tips of getting used to dry foods that you are used to cooking would be great.

Well the packet is a lot of salt - so you may want to use it all.

Longboysfan
03-15-2017, 10:43
Sunday put weighted pack on.
Hiked 9 miles in 3 hours - no stops.
Got all food together and equipment.
Everything packed but lunch bag.

JPritch
03-15-2017, 16:09
Not to discredit the validity of the stair stepper, b/c it is a challenge, but breeze and evaporation may explain why you sweat less when running, and even less when cycling. Now if you're inside on a treadmill...!

One Half
03-15-2017, 20:40
packaged up 30 meals for the trail today. Already had 24 done. Tomorrow I will likely assemble my breakfasts as all the components are pretty much done. I guess all won't get jalapenos after all. Maybe I'll bring a separate little package of jalapenos to add to my breakfasts along the way. I'm going for 30 days, close to 37 with travel to and from. I freeze dry all my own meals. The link to the thread I started on my freeze drying adventures is in my signature.

MtDoraDave
03-15-2017, 20:48
...Bought a new pair of boots, a new backpack, and a pair of gloves.

The old ones, Keen Targhee 2, didn't look too bad after about 500 trail miles - at least I didn't think so until I put the new ones next to the old ones! I digress, the old ones are still very comfortable, but are now too soft and worn to do their job on long days.

RangerZ
03-15-2017, 23:36
I walked 2.1 miles of the paved South Rim Grand Canyon trail.

At least I had my boots on. :banana

Got jealous of my friends who are spending ten days hiking the Canyon at the end of the month.

Stone1984
03-16-2017, 06:33
Planned another gear test overnight hike yesterday, me and a buddy going to start at Burrels Ford and hike one day in and then hike back in may, just an overnight but another chance to test our gear.

Stone1984
03-19-2017, 06:08
Well I went out and bought a Nemo Hornet 2p and a Thermolite Evolite on saturday. I have my big 3 in place finally. Went home and set up the tent. I have confirmed that this tent is a great size for me and my gear. I can't wait to get out and test this stuff in real conditions now.

TTT
03-19-2017, 07:28
Spent the evening packing my backpack in search of efficiency. Didn't do a very good job of it and will have another bash today. The pack is a 55L Cuben fiber without stretch, and the contents with food, and without my cooking system or two full water bottles weighs 16 pounds, and yet I'm struggling to get a perfect fit with prepackaged and not loose contents. Also don't like using one rubbish bin bag as a liner. It gets messy. Will see how two smaller ones work, possibly three. (one for sleeping bag/pad/clothes, one for other stuff, and third for rain gear) The other difficulty, that will require some practice and testosterone, is jamming my sleeping bag into its bag and compressing it. The better the quality of a sleeping bag the more loft it contains. Whoever packs these things for sale is a genius. I suspect they work in a compression chamber at NASA

Busky2
03-19-2017, 07:59
Well I shoveled snow on: Tuesday, trying to stay ahead of storm for 9 hours I lost that race
Wednesday, cleaned up the last 10 in. on walks and driveways of the white stuff in 4 hours
Thursday, dig out cars and neighbors cars for over 6 hours
Friday, see Thursday, fun to guess what kind of car it is by snow pile shape
Weekend, NOT A DAMN THING !

egilbe
03-19-2017, 08:22
Snowshoed a third of the way up Old Speck on -6* morning until we got to the place the trail was no longer packed out. Broke trail for half an hour in two feet of fluffy snow and made about 400 yards and decided that was enough exercise for the day and started back down the mountain. Met two guys who planned on summiting and informed him we had given up for the day because the trail wasn't Broken out all the way, yet. They were younger and seemed more willing to build that trail karma.

Today, going cross-country skiing down the Eastern Trail, because we like punishing ourselves.

KnightErrant
03-19-2017, 11:22
I went to CrossFit for the first time on Friday. It was as intense as I expected. Yesterday and today just some walking to and from the grocery store as I recover. I'm hobbling around like an old lady!

Hoping to do CrossFit 2-3 times per week until my High Atlas hiking trip in May, and perhaps beyond. Most of my friends here will travel in the summer, so the cult-like atmosphere of CrossFit might be a nice chance for some community during that time.

egilbe
03-19-2017, 11:39
Oh yeah. Cult-fit has crippled many people I know personally. Poorly designed program for athletes.

KnightErrant
03-19-2017, 11:55
^I've heard of a lot of injuries as well, but I think that tends to occur mostly to people who are competitive enough to push themselves past their limits. At least, that was my impression from one visit to one CrossFit gym. The trainers were very good about keeping an eye on everyone's form, and scaling all the movements for different ability levels.

I, a soft baby whale, held no delusions about my capabilities, and I was happy to be outperformed by the regulars. But if you force yourself to complete the prescribed workout instead of the appropriately scaled version, then yeah I could see a lot of potential for injury.

JPritch
03-20-2017, 11:16
Took my shiny new gear out yesterday for a test run. Totally new to backpacking (but not hiking/trail running), so I may have looked like the stereotypical guy who went and bought half the store at REI and went for his first hike. Even bought new shoes and socks, so everything was new!

Discovered that a 15lb'ish base feels like nothing. Went up and over the Priest SOBO then NOBO, and my times were not that far off from previous training hikes carrying just a Camelbak. Speaking of Camelbak, think I'm gonna ditch my bladder for my section hike and just use the Smart/Sawyer combo which turned out to be pretty efficient for me. Man, cold mountain stream water is so so refreshing! 12.5 mi/4300' gain...I think my goal of 15 mile days out of Springer is doable.

AfterParty
03-20-2017, 14:48
I took a overnighter last night about 14 miles to and around the lake near me. It was pushing my under quilts limits. So that was good but forgot to sleep in a hat.

Dex
03-20-2017, 17:14
Yard camping. Set up the new Lightheart Gear Duo. Pulled out the new Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20° bag. The Wi-Fi was really good. Heading out next week for a 70 mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.

Stone1984
03-20-2017, 17:27
Yard camping. Set up the new Lightheart Gear Duo. Pulled out the new Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20° bag. The Wi-Fi was really good. Heading out next week for a 70 mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.

Thats great lol can't get that on the trail

RangerZ
03-20-2017, 19:21

No wifi on the LHHT, except maybe in Seven Springs. Stop at Walat's Bar, MP 46. Wave at the cars from the PA TP bridge.

Stone1984
03-26-2017, 06:46
Figured out at least for a little while I need a hat with some coverage. My face and ears and neck are burnt from being out all day yesterday. So last night went to REI and Picked up 2 different Light weight hats. The Outdoor Research seems to fit well and is super light so I will be using that on my sections for the next couple hikes at least.

Busky2
03-26-2017, 07:36
The US ARMY ROTC went for a hike, 26 miles with a 35 pound pack, so I tagged along on Saturday ahh the memories.

katyk
03-31-2017, 23:25
Started hiking with my pack on my 3 days a week hikes. Figured out I'm not ready yet at all. Adding more hikes per week. Writing list out of things I need. Ordering dehydrated foods. Packing my clothes bag and then unpacking it and changing contents. . Need to sleep outside in the rain to make sure tent is ready. 5 weeks and counting

katyk
03-31-2017, 23:30
Also started updating my blog https://wordpress.com/posts/myhikeoutofmadness.wordpress.com. Trying to keep it going for friends who really can't believe I do this!

Stone1984
04-01-2017, 08:58
Also started updating my blog https://wordpress.com/posts/myhikeoutofmadness.wordpress.com. Trying to keep it going for friends who really can't believe I do this!

I will save that link look forward to following it. I have found that when goals are written down they are much more obtainable. I will be rooting for you.

Sarcasm the elf
04-01-2017, 09:02
Hmm, this week? Got laid off from my job, stopped showering regularly, and took several nice hikes through the rain and mud. Wait, what am I preparing for again?

RangerZ
04-01-2017, 09:16
Went to Vicksburg and sat in a conference room for three days.

egilbe
04-01-2017, 09:29
Hmm, this week? Got laid off from my job, stopped showering regularly, and took several nice hikes through the rain and mud. Wait, what am I preparing for again?

Livin' the dream, man! I wish I could get laid off. Im rapidly starting to despise some people I work with/for.

ScareBear
04-01-2017, 09:40
So far this week did two 6 mile hikes and a 5 mile walk with the dogs. At the moment, my gear for next weekend is on the dining room table for a final look-see and weigh.

fastfoxengineering
04-01-2017, 09:54
Posted more of my stuff for sale on Craigslist.

Contemplating whether or not I should keep or sell my truck before my hike.

I have a place to keep it outside and safe at my rents house. But...you know how that can go.

I need to go to Walmart and get a moving box. Told myself pretty much all of my possessions need to fit in the box before i leave. Aside from one guitar and my tools.

It'll be pretty liberating when I know all of my stuff I need to be happy can fit in the trunk of a Honda civic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TTT
04-01-2017, 13:07
Tested out my little Canon camera

TTT
04-01-2017, 13:15
Bit dark

TTT
04-01-2017, 13:21
Spot the scissors next to the whistle next to the pen next to the torch

Happy2k11
04-01-2017, 13:22
42 miles in the south Florida heat. About 6 miles a day. Planning a day hike with the temp pack and about 20lbs on the Florida trail

Happy2k11
04-01-2017, 13:26
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/a5cfbcaa250875242fb1b401e52f5e39.jpg

Yep. That's the little one

Saw a 12' the same day.

Happy2k11
04-01-2017, 14:08
Well I shoveled snow on: Tuesday, trying to stay ahead of storm for 9 hours I lost that race
Wednesday, cleaned up the last 10 in. on walks and driveways of the white stuff in 4 hours
Thursday, dig out cars and neighbors cars for over 6 hours
Friday, see Thursday, fun to guess what kind of car it is by snow pile shape
Weekend, NOT A DAMN THING !

Hahahaha.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2017, 14:12
Shoveling the 6" of wet snow off my driveway - again. Guess I'm lucky, 800 feet higher up the hill they got 12".

One Half
04-01-2017, 21:41
Been hiking with my backpack at the local nature preserve and up and down some very uninspiring parking garage stairs. After oodles of testing my stove and another one I decided to bite the bullet and believe the marketing hype of JetBoil and bought a MicroMo. I need to fire it up this weekend and just make sure I know how to run it. Should be simple but I would rather figure it out before I head out for my 30 days. Got my pack completely packed as I have been hiking with it. Trying to decide if I am going to wear a hat or not. I used to always wear a baseball cap, hiking or not. Not so much anymore.

DownEaster
04-02-2017, 04:54
Ordered my tent and first pair of trail runners. Wore my zip-off hiking pants in shorts mode for the first time on a walk to the local Goodwill (4 miles) where I picked up a wool blend shirt as my possible mid layer for the start of the AT next March. (I figure that'll get sent home after the Smokies, so warmth at a low price is more important than striving for the lightest weight. Though I am going to remove the pocket and labels.) Experimented with making instant cocoa mix less dreadful by adding Nido Fortificada. (Still dreadful compared to real hot chocolate, just less so. What genius at Swiss Miss decided that cocoa needed palm kernel oil more than milk?)

MtDoraDave
04-03-2017, 06:56
Went to the Flea Market and bought a few pounds of the trail mix I like. A week from now, I'll be starting my next section hike.
The trail mix has no Chex or pretzel "fillers", it's just nuts, seeds, and dehydrated fruits @ $6.99 / lb... I used to add m&m's to the mix, but I started adding yesterday's leftovers to this morning's oatmeal to get me more than an hour of energy from breakfast - and the m&m's just make my pot harder to clean.

...and I went for a short hike with my pack yesterday in a local preserve that has some elevation change.

Today, I call to arrange a shuttle. Later this week, I'll change the oil in my truck, treat all my hiking clothes with permethrin, and I'll watch the extended forecast for up around Hot Springs to help me decide which sleeping bag and how many layers to bring... then this weekend, drive on up!

ldsailor
04-03-2017, 11:03
Yep. That's the little one

Saw a 12' the same day.

I'd be more worried about the snakes than the alligators. I read about a snake eating a man whole recently; although it was somewhere in the far east, those same snakes are here in Florida now.

Happy2k11
04-03-2017, 12:20
IDsailor... they shot and killed a 14' Burmese Python last week, about 2 miles south of where my gator pic was taken and they are currently under a "python" hunt in the everglades...but yeah nasty invasive species. We do tend to pay a little more attention to snakes. Knowing that water moccasin are not always black or in the water. SO much of the Florida trail is below the water level table things tend to be water/mud flexible. The biggest animal that i worry about/pain in the ass.... the damn mosquitoes

One Half
04-03-2017, 16:58
I have my meals and snacks set up so my husband will know what to send me (hopefully). I may toss in some freeze dried berries/fruits as well.

TTT
04-03-2017, 17:31
Bought some cacao powder today. It's an ancient Mayan superfood that contains a monster amount of magnesium. You add it to your morning rolled oats and then run up hills. For potassium I got some barley grass that will make me fly down hills. Also bought green powder tablets that contains chlorella and spirulina. The quantity is enough to last a month. Thereafter it's snickers all the way.

egilbe
04-03-2017, 17:31
I made logan bread with 1/2 cup chia seeds thrown in. Pretty tasty

mitch
04-03-2017, 23:13
Just finished 8 days in GSMN

Tahoeturner
04-04-2017, 00:10
Had an epidural, trying to quiet down a pinched nerve that's giving me a lot of leg pain. Still hope to return to the trail at the end of April.

hlee453
04-04-2017, 02:58
And I've been working on gaining it lol

^I've heard of a lot of injuries as well, but I think that tends to occur mostly to people who are competitive enough to push themselves past their limits. At least, that was my impression from one visit to one CrossFit gym. The trainers were very good about keeping an eye on everyone's form, and scaling all the movements for different ability levels.

I, a soft baby whale, held no delusions about my capabilities, and I was happy to be outperformed by the regulars. But if you force yourself to complete the prescribed workout instead of the appropriately scaled version, then yeah I could see a lot of potential for injury.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One Half
04-04-2017, 22:58
Lots of hiking and stair climbing been going on the last couple of weeks. I live in very flat country. Getting the legs ready for the mountains.

runt13
04-05-2017, 08:43
Was not going to reply to this thread because my start date is unknown, however..................In preparing for the next hill of life I have been thinking more and more about my life's goals including My health, the AT, FLT, Allagash wilderness waterway, Self employment and setting some more LSR [land speed racing], records and goals.

Gave myself an end date for this job, August 15-2019 [possibly sooner]
Bought a small 900 sq. foot log cabin in the woodsman 11 acres [15 miles from the LTA] Where my awesome wife and I will live out our days!
Put NJ house and land up for sale, along with many material things I have enjoyed but no longer need / use
Building my dream barn to start my own business out of
Changed all me eating habits to promote better health
increased physical activity
Come to grips with, ''if i can not control / change it, don't worry about it''
Started getting training in everything outdoors, including, CPR, first aid, wilderness first aid, water safety, firearms safety, orienteering, etc.
Started buying equipment I do not possess, for hiking.

Well there's my 2 cents

RUNT ''13''

RangerZ
04-09-2017, 16:52
Got out twice after work for 4 miles each.

Spent the weekend in a state park just to get another night under silnylon, hiked about 10+ miles. Muddy as anything, trail flowing as a stream after rains we had last week. Managed not to fall. (You know, when you get to be a certain age, you doctor asks you during check ups if you fall. Fortunately he knows that I hike.)

Ran into a couple that I took a NOLS Wilderness Medicine class with.

Two guys came into the shelter area at about 11 PM and gave us a white light show, at least they were quiet..

Cheyou
04-09-2017, 18:24
Just loaded up all my gear . Travel Monday start on Tuesday.

Thom

LazyLightning
04-09-2017, 19:10
My first hike in a long time yesterday I didn't keep track but was over 10 miles. Around the Hubbard Park trails, up to Castle Craig connecting with the NET that I took through east and west peaks and beyond. Eventually I turned around and followed it back to park trails and eventually back to the NET to take a side trail (red) up to the south mountain overlooks. It felt great and even came within 20 feet of a deer before we both startled each other and it ran off. Now that I realized I live right next to the NET mid state I plan on section hiking it from the begining at least 1 good day hike a week (I work mon-fri). That's rain or shine to, I'll pick the best looking day but I'm going for an AT thru hike next year and this is the start of my prep for that. Planning a one way hike of sections 1-2 of the NET in Middletown next week, and there are loops if I want to make it longer. I'm more of a hiking rookie now getting gear and working things out but I can't wait to get out again this Sat.

nascarmikeb
04-09-2017, 19:23
I went on a 12 mile hike at kisatchie natl' forest. In preparation for a 6 day section hike from newfound gap to hot springs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

One Half
04-09-2017, 19:48
Just loaded up all my gear . Travel Monday start on Tuesday.

Thom

Travel Monday into Tuesday and I start Wednesday!

Cheyou
04-09-2017, 19:52
Travel Monday into Tuesday and I start Wednesday!

Wave when u pass :0)
Thom

Stone1984
06-11-2017, 08:59
Took a good long day hike yesterday to Sassafras Mtn. Was a great day for a hike! Was good to get out there and hike with my base weight (18.41lbs)

Want to add food for 5 days next time. Could tell a big difference from my previous hikes with almost a full load out. Also found I need to pack things a bit differently next time. Water filter was deep in the bag and that causes trouble when resupplying water for the day. How do you multi day hikers pack the filter? I am using a platypus Gravity filter.

Nodust
06-11-2017, 13:36
Filter goes in back mesh pocket of pack. Along with raingear and TP and trowel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DownEaster
06-11-2017, 14:08
Dropped the hammer and bought my AT backpack: the new Granite Gear Crown 2.

illabelle
06-11-2017, 14:47
Hiked 5.4 miles yesterday afternoon to Rainbow Falls in GSMNP. We get a little stiff through the week. It's good to limber up when we get a chance.

RangerZ
06-11-2017, 21:00
Led an Saturday/Sunday overnight to a state park backpack for newbies. Ended up with more experienced people than newbies. Went out Friday by myself just to get another night under nylon.

Lib
06-12-2017, 22:34
Ordered David millers trail guide....2 weeks ago did 30 miles on west rim trail in tioga state forest awesome trip

MtDoraDave
06-13-2017, 06:56
Started with the logistics: Copied pages out of my AWOL guidebook and started to figure out my stops, resupply options, where I'm going to meet/ pick up a friend who will hike with me for a few days, and where I think I'll finish so I can figure out where to park/shuttle.

A couple weeks to go... still need to re-treat clothes with permethrin, buy groceries, run bleach-water through my Sawyer, change the oil in my truck, mail out packages of food, and of course arrange the shuttle.

MtDoraDave
06-13-2017, 21:02
Started with the logistics: Copied pages out of my AWOL guidebook and started to figure out my stops, resupply options, where I'm going to meet/ pick up a friend who will hike with me for a few days, and where I think I'll finish so I can figure out where to park/shuttle.

A couple weeks to go... still need to re-treat clothes with permethrin, buy groceries, run bleach-water through my Sawyer, change the oil in my truck, mail out packages of food, and of course arrange the shuttle.

Got the mileages figured out, where I'm going to pick up and drop off my friend, got my parking and shuttle figured out... now i just need to divvy up food into two boxes and send them out. That's how I can get my pack down into the ultra-light zone: don't carry 8 days worth of food, resupply twice! Ha!

Then comes the hard part of driving for 11 hours to hike for an extended week!

shelb
06-15-2017, 00:48
I ran a Ragnar! (Madison to Chicago!)

RangerZ
07-03-2017, 18:02
Made two batches of sloppy joes; mixed one with egg noodles. Dehydrated both for future meals.

Decided (again) that 2018 is the year. All I have to do now is tell work about it.

FreeGoldRush
07-03-2017, 19:20
Thru hike prep? Did 135 miles at the south end of the AT in 9 days of hiking. Next week I begin adding 100+ more miles. It must be like flying; at some point you just keep going. You solve one problem after another, even intentionally doing many miles in pouring rain and thunderstorms. If you were able to hike the next day then maybe it's dialed in good enough. Keep going. That's my theory. Will let you know how it works out after the thru hike.

Click
07-03-2017, 21:22
Drove 3 hrs to REI in DesMoines/shopped for 3/drove home.
Preparing for a 2020 NOBO through hike so I just got shoes, socks, backpack, hammock, stove, compass, and a waterfilter kit (will practice on the Muddy Mississippi!).
I'm giving myself plenty of time to toughen up, retire, and take the hike to DIE for :)

I appreciate this thread: I've never camped, hiked, or any of that stuff: YES - I am doing a lot of research and will now get down to the practical.

Traffic Jam
07-03-2017, 21:36
Cycled, ran, did sit-ups, researched bug nets, planned upcoming hike, took a nap.

shelb
07-03-2017, 21:40
I have done 60 minutes of stair climbing each day... trying to get those muscles in shape for mountains!

JC13
07-03-2017, 22:46
Well, so far this week I packed to see how I wanted everything for the section we are hiking. Dropped 2 items out of the pack, figured out where everything is going to go. Ran 5 miles today, lifting weights Wed., Thursday we head out, pickup a fellow White Blazer on Friday morning and head to Fontana Dam, looks like we have a full crowd at Mollies Ridge and then we start pushing for 20's.

Dogwood
07-03-2017, 23:22
Does the prep have to be just for an AT hike? I ask because even though one may be prepping for a LD hike elsewhere there surely can be commonality. Im also asking because I think it is great to be açcountabLe and to recognize prep progressing by staying accountable rather than making one post to such an important process. This further gets us more accustomed to a journey, a step by step enjoyable patience building path like process keeping us consistently engaged in the now, the moment. This patterning has major carry over psychological, emotional, and physical boots on the ground on trail benefits.

Mountain Wildman
07-03-2017, 23:50
Weight lifting and cardio daily, ordered 3 days of Packit Gourmet lunches and dinners, made a list of things to pick up at the store and been tweeking my gear list to reduce pack weight, should be hitting the A.T. in Ct. or Mass. and possibly with another or more from Whiteblaze in a few weeks if not sooner.

Stone1984
07-04-2017, 08:49
Been on vacation for 10 days so haven't done a whole lot, but while on vacation there was a croc outlet store, Picked up a pair of camp shoes. These things are great for wet feet and super light. Wasn't sure about camp shoes but figured I would give them a try on my upcoming 10 day hike. Will know after that if I want to keep them or not.

Traffic Jam
07-04-2017, 09:41
Does the prep have to be just for an AT hike? I ask because even though one may be prepping for a LD hike elsewhere there surely can be commonality. Im also asking because I think it is great to be açcountabLe and to recognize prep progressing by staying accountable rather than making one post to such an important process. This further gets us more accustomed to a journey, a step by step enjoyable patience building path like process keeping us consistently engaged in the now, the moment. This patterning has major carry over psychological, emotional, and physical boots on the ground on trail benefits.

It's not just about AT hiking for me, but staying in shape to enjoy whatever hiking I decide to do.

You are right, it does require patience although I can't say it's always enjoyable. Wanting to hike and enjoy it is what motivated me to lose weight and get in shape in the first place. It's been a very long process, literally filled with blood, sweat, and tears but worth every mile.

Traffic Jam
07-04-2017, 09:47
I have done 60 minutes of stair climbing each day... trying to get those muscles in shape for mountains!
I'm impressed. I don't last long on the stair climber... usually 30 min after running a mile to warm up. Do you wear a pack? I get bored easily so switch it up by walking sideways or work on balance by not holding onto anything.

KnightErrant
07-04-2017, 17:23
This week I prepared for my 2018 thru by trying to get my joints figured out. I went to an orthopedic doctor about some knee pain, and started treatment. I dislodged my Hoffa's pad two years ago while backpacking (squatting to take a picture of the Burgos cathedral with a full pack on my back while doing the Camino de Santiago) and eventually got it taken care of after thousands of dollars spent on an MRI and PT.

Now, after climbing a 13,000 foot mountain here in Morocco, the fat pad seems to be impinged again, and it's causing me trouble. Not serious pain, but enough discomfort to make me want to figure it out before it can impede my plan for a 2018 nobo thru. Luckily, for the doctor's visit, an ultrasound of both knees, and five prescriptions (anti inflammatories, something for cartilage, something to protect my stomach from the other stuff, and a topical cream) I only had to pay about $100, 70% of which will be refunded by my Moroccan insurance.

This is all very confusing because I was planning to move back to the U.S. soon, but if I need ongoing medical care or heaven forbid, knee surgery, then I should probably stay in Morocco. I can't afford treatment in the U.S. without wiping out my savings for the thru hike. Lots to consider...

Kaptainkriz
07-04-2017, 17:25
Put the pack on a diet, did another section in SNP. It was hot!

Dogwood
07-04-2017, 17:49
THX again TJ.

Frederic
07-07-2017, 02:42
I went to crossfit after quite a break :rolleyes:
Plan to do crossfit 3 times per week + gym as usual.

DownEaster
07-07-2017, 04:10
Ordered miscellaneous through-hike gear: dry bags (MassDrop & eBay), a tornado tube for Sawyer squeeze gravity feed (eBay), and a larger fuel bottle for my Primus stove (eBay again). Also watched another batch of gear review videos for ideas.

egilbe
07-07-2017, 07:49
Hiked the Pesidential Range from Pinkham notch to Crawford Notch. Summited Mt Washington on a beautiful afternoon. Yes, Maine and New Hampshire is my personal training grounds to prepare to hike the AT...by hiking the AT and bagging 4k foot peaks.

Traffic Jam
07-08-2017, 18:32
Practiced setting up my new (to me) CF tarp. Purchased a MLD bugnet bivy. Ran, swam, cycled, push-ups, sit-ups. Spent too much time on Internet hiking forums.

Stone1984
07-09-2017, 06:11
Got in my Zpacks Duplex and msr groundhogs. This thing is crazy light and super easy to set up. I understand already why people love these things.

Also spent most of yesterday filling out a spread sheet with all my gear. Its almost complete. Have descriptions and weights for everything. Will be posting here for advice soon. Trying to stuff it all in a lighter pack. Was able to fit everything in except my food bag. Going to work on that this week. I can save a pound going to this lighter pack that is only a little bit smaller. Need a thru hiker to come show me how to pack lol .

MisterQ
07-09-2017, 20:08
Drove to Port Clinton and hiked out of the gap and back down in both directions.

soumodeler
07-09-2017, 20:43
Did an 11 miles dayhike testing out new shoes. I now have two nearly identical blisters on the side of each big toe... :confused:

RangerZ
07-09-2017, 22:26
Hiked in the rain on Saturday. I don't need the practice but Mother Nature thought that I did. I thought that I could finish before it began, lost that bet.

Stone1984
07-10-2017, 06:11
Hiked in the rain on Saturday. I don't need the practice but Mother Nature thought that I did. I thought that I could finish before it began, lost that bet.

Next time were expecting a thunderstorm I am gonna set up the tent in the rain and see how that goes.

PGH1NC
07-10-2017, 08:32
Having read this post and expecting rain within the hour, I just set up my BA UL2 HV in the yard. I have hiked in rain, carried pack up local hills and had four decent nights in the tent but not tested it in the rain. We shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RangerZ
07-10-2017, 08:47
4th of July 2015 I was out in my BA CS1 and got absolutely hammered by an overnight tstorm. Thunder and lightning right on top of me. I was waiting to get hit. Stayed dry in the tent. There was a new pond about 20' feet away from me in the AM, site selection is important. I didn't have to worry about water sources the next day, the trail was still flowing like a creek.

Ethesis
07-11-2017, 19:17
Next time were expecting a thunderstorm I am gonna set up the tent in the rain and see how that goes.

Ive done that with three tents now. Returned one of them.

Stone1984
07-12-2017, 07:59
Ive done that with three tents now. Returned one of them.
Calling for storms thurs and fri this week. hope I can catch one of those.

Stone1984
08-18-2017, 14:37
Went to Gym today. 3.5 miles per hour on a Rolling Hills Level 20 work out setting. Almost my full weight, added a few items to replace food and water. 3 weeks left till my 10 day hike! 40085

DownEaster
08-18-2017, 19:42
I've been doing some fairly extensive "trail life at home" prep work. I've been getting used to wearing hiking clothes. My housemate went on vacation and I haven't used air conditioning at all this month; I soak my polyester wicking T and let evaporation cool me. I trimmed my mustache with Fiskars travel scissors. (The results were a bit ragged, but at least I didn't strain my soup.) I carry a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's around between kitchen and bathroom, and use that for cleaning. At least every other night I scrub up at the sink (to simulate finishing a day's hike) rather than take a shower. I've been cooking in my GSI Extreme mess kit on the gas cooktop, and eating with the tiny GSI plastic fork and spoon which fit inside. I set my table with a Sea to Summit XL-Bowl, which sort of makes a plate when you collapse the silicone sides. Most of my food is stuff I could have on the trail. I've been sleeping in/on an old camping sleeping bag to get used to not having room to move around. (It's laid out on the sofa because my Klymit Static V hasn't arrived yet, and I've already determined that my old CCF pad won't let me get a good night's sleep on the floor. I don't want subject my new mummy bag to unnecessary wear, so I just did one night in that.) I haven't driven my car in months. I walk to local grocery stores for all my food needs, plus some movies, other shopping, and eateries in addition to the couple of scenic hiking opportunities available nearby. (I've convinced myself that movies just aren't that good these days, and the 6 mile walk has no impact. :))

KnightErrant
08-23-2017, 11:20
This week I took a big step to prepare for my 2018 thru... I bought my plane ticket home from Morocco! Casablanca's been good to me, but I'm leaving my job at the end of November and officially flying home in mid-December. I'll be living with family and working odd jobs until spring, and then leaving from Springer in mid-late April if all goes according to plan! Hoping to avoid the peak of the bubble by going a bit late.

Stone1984
08-27-2017, 11:09
Sunday I mixed up some permethrin and treated all of my hiking clothes. I am 2 weeks out from my 10 day trip so it should be good and dry and hopefully the smell has dissipated enough by then.

RangerZ
09-03-2017, 17:27
Spent what turned out to be a good day inside planning a Tuscarora Trail hike, dehydrating a rice & chicken recipe, and posting on White Blaze - a day not wasted. I'll get out tomorrow, it's supposed to be an even nicer day.

TTT
09-03-2017, 19:18
I sent off my visa application and have an appointment with the US embassy this month. They asked lots of weird questions on the form, like: Will you be committing a terrorist attack? Are you related to anyone who has or might commit a terrorist attack? Naturally I answered YES as I like a challenge. They also wanted to know who I would be staying with. For a hiker wandering in the woods and living inside a tent I considered this a trick question.

Traffic Jam
09-03-2017, 20:23
I've been doing some fairly extensive "trail life at home" prep work. I've been getting used to wearing hiking clothes. My housemate went on vacation and I haven't used air conditioning at all this month; I soak my polyester wicking T and let evaporation cool me. I trimmed my mustache with Fiskars travel scissors. (The results were a bit ragged, but at least I didn't strain my soup.) I carry a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's around between kitchen and bathroom, and use that for cleaning. At least every other night I scrub up at the sink (to simulate finishing a day's hike) rather than take a shower. I've been cooking in my GSI Extreme mess kit on the gas cooktop, and eating with the tiny GSI plastic fork and spoon which fit inside. I set my table with a Sea to Summit XL-Bowl, which sort of makes a plate when you collapse the silicone sides. Most of my food is stuff I could have on the trail. I've been sleeping in/on an old camping sleeping bag to get used to not having room to move around. (It's laid out on the sofa because my Klymit Static V hasn't arrived yet, and I've already determined that my old CCF pad won't let me get a good night's sleep on the floor. I don't want subject my new mummy bag to unnecessary wear, so I just did one night in that.) I haven't driven my car in months. I walk to local grocery stores for all my food needs, plus some movies, other shopping, and eateries in addition to the couple of scenic hiking opportunities available nearby. (I've convinced myself that movies just aren't that good these days, and the 6 mile walk has no impact. :))
Wow, can't decide if I should laugh or give you a high five...so I'll do both. :)

DownEaster
09-03-2017, 22:09
Wow, can't decide if I should laugh or give you a high five...so I'll do both. :)
Yeah, it's definitely kind of weird. I know I can handle backpacking trips of two weeks just fine. But I don't know if I can handle the limitations and inconveniences of life on the trail for months at a time -- or if I'll get fed up with all the little annoyances to the point of giving up. So, I'm doing my darndest to rule that out now.

Traffic Jam
09-03-2017, 22:31
Yeah, it's definitely kind of weird. I know I can handle backpacking trips of two weeks just fine. But I don't know if I can handle the limitations and inconveniences of life on the trail for months at a time -- or if I'll get fed up with all the little annoyances to the point of giving up. So, I'm doing my darndest to rule that out now.

I thought your post might be a joke. The mustache trimming was funny. :)

You have a ton of willpower and will do just fine, no matter how long you hike.

saltysack
09-04-2017, 11:30
Personally I don't do anything different to prepare for a hike....however, yesterday while riding my bike down the beach enjoying the scenery with a cold beer I saw a guy with trekking poles, loaded pack and boots walking down the beach sweating his arse off..... I guess everyone's got there approach.

TTT
09-04-2017, 11:49
I'm considering shaving my legs and removing the ink from my tattoos to reduce weight. Maybe I'll do it next weekend.

Huntmog
09-04-2017, 17:33
Ran a half marathon... with zero training. Next time I think I can't push up a mountain, ill remember how my legs felt after running non stop for 13 miles

MuddyWaters
09-04-2017, 17:43
after a month of no cardio at all since my last 3 week hike, I gained 8 lbs back. Today, I started running again .

HamSandwich
09-05-2017, 12:18
Recovered (I think) from Eastern States, so back out on the trails building mileage again.

New Leki poles arriving today! Super excited to work them into my methods. And hopefully not lose them, like I did my Kompradells. [emoji23]

HamSandwich
09-05-2017, 12:19
And hopefully not lose them, like I did my Kompradells. [emoji23]

Komperdells.

Stone1984
09-06-2017, 07:00
Send out 2 supply drops yesterday, I think I am done with preparing for my 10 day section hike. Leave out in 2 days!

Longboysfan
09-06-2017, 16:17
Walking with weight - about 30 lbs total in pack.
For 2 hours without stopping at a time.

Getting food laid out for about 7 - 8 day section hike in October from Winding Stair gap - Route 64 in North Carolina - to Gatlinburg.
Somewhere near 100 miles.

I am trying to plan in 1 resupply in there near Fontana Dam.

Not sure if I should do it from Hike Inn near Fontana or from Fontana Village. Any help here will be great.

Feral Bill
09-06-2017, 16:26
Gave up on planned trip on PCT due to fires. Made plan for trip to Eagle Cap Wilderness. Bought fuel, played with camera, and inventoried gear. Played with puppy, too.

egilbe
09-06-2017, 16:33
Hiked from Gorham NH to Grafton Notch. Toughest section I've done on the AT yet. Met Judy of Lightheart Gear on that section. I can honestly say she was not impressed. :D

Traffic Jam
10-08-2017, 14:30
The rain forced me to the gym. 20 minute warm-up on the dreadmill followed by 40 minutes on the fearclimber. Survived by listening to the Revivalists.

jgil
10-08-2017, 16:48
did about a 14 mile hike in 3 hours with 15 pound pack, got stung by a wasp, note to self:bring more water

Traffic Jam
10-08-2017, 16:53
did about a 14 mile hike in 3 hours with 15 pound pack, got stung by a wasp, note to self:bring more water
Wow, you are fast.

DownEaster
10-08-2017, 16:53
My week was awesomely productive. New Torx driver set arrived and I removed the pocket clip from my Gerber mini knife, saving a whole 0.1 ounce!

Well, I did also try out a couple of Rice-a-Roni mixes, cooking them in my GSI Extreme mess kit. Adding (dehydrated) broccoli to rice pilaf improves the meal substantially, and I've figured out how to adjust the water for mess kit cooking. I'm going to try to duplicate Rice-a-Roni (small pieces of vermicelli, white rice, and various flavorings). If I can get the right mix with instant rice I'll be able to make my own quicker-cooking variations on the Trail. And after that, my next culinary goal for the AT is fresh-baked muffins.

Did I mention that rewarding myself with real food for achieving hiking goals is a proven motivational tactic? If I come up short, I get mac & cheese or ramen noodles. :eek:

jgil
10-08-2017, 17:01
thanks, I like going fast it's fun, I think the wasp made me go faster though lol

Stone1984
10-08-2017, 17:13
Wow, you are fast.
thats not a hike thats a run lol

jgil
10-08-2017, 17:23
I switch it up sometimes I'm running sometimes hiking depends how I feel but mostly hiking

RangerZ
10-08-2017, 17:44
Baked snickerdoodles

KCNC
10-08-2017, 19:41
my next culinary goal for the AT is fresh-baked muffins.

I want to see what the oven does to your base weight. :-?

DownEaster
10-08-2017, 23:10
I want to see what the oven does to your base weight. :-?
I haven't done this yet, but the "oven" is my GSI Extreme mess kit. In it I place my eating dish: a Sea to Summit XL-Bowl, on top of three locally acquired pebbles to keep the bowl off the heated metal surface. A small batch of muffin batter goes in the bowl, the mess kit lid closes the "oven", and (if all goes well) after a while I get one ginormous muffin (AKA a small quick bread loaf). Hard anodized aluminum mess kit plus extra large silicone-sided bowl is 19.8 ounces, so I'm definitely paying a weight premium for what GSI describes as "gourmet backpacking".

Sarcasm the elf
10-08-2017, 23:17
Created a future hiking partner, does that count? ;)

Stone1984
10-09-2017, 06:14
Created a future hiking partner, does that count? ;)

That counts, but that could also count as not preparing lmao

jjozgrunt
10-09-2017, 07:05
Hiked 7 miles, in the dark, in the pouring rain. Thought about a pushup and situp, just one of each, but came to my senses. Had a night of beer and pizza and it was the same result as coming out of Hiawassee and only getting to Bly Gap, with a number of technicolor yawns along the way. Looked at my gear and found I had left 3 clothes labels attached, all that weight now gone. Wondered how much weight I would save if I pulled out every second bristle on my toothbrush, and that trial will be coming up. Looking for some way to pull a thread out of my jocks each time I brush my teeth so I don't need to bring floss. Realized that your base weight is made up of what you don't wear or consumables, so now my base weight is just over 2 lbs and consists of my pack and jetboil which I couldn't find a place to wear it. Also since I'm walking in my duplex I don't need rain gear. Generally I think my training is progressing well.

TTT
10-09-2017, 17:53
Listened to music and read Whiteblaze notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Din_eWjJWe0

TTT
10-09-2017, 18:32
Bought airplane ticket. The travel agent erred and made my departure and arrival for 5 months instead of 6. Spent an unnecessary amount of currency correcting the problem as I have no intention of running from Georgia to Maine. Then booked a cabin at Amocolola Falls Lodge. The fun part is I have to stay in it for 2 nights. As such I'll now have an extra day acclimatizing and learning to speak American with expressions like "It is what it is" and "Off the bat" etc...

RangerZ
01-04-2018, 18:26
Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I retired yesterday after 35 years with the Corps of Engineers, overlapping with 23 years as an engineer officer on active and reserve duty.

I've declared 2018 as the year - April on Springer and September on Katahdin.

I've been lazy, I haven't done any serious miles since Veterans Day, so today I walked 4+ miles through a local park to get to the library that's only a half mile from my house. 17*, light snow, trails were hard packed but my MicroSpikes were welcome. Stopped at Pittsburgh's only vegetarian kosher Dunkin Donuts to warm up, then onto the State Store to stock up against threatened snow.

Tomorrow we go shopping to prepare meals to dehydrate. One of my Christmas presents was a vacuum sealer.

illabelle
01-04-2018, 19:17
Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I retired yesterday after 35 years with the Corps of Engineers, overlapping with 23 years as an engineer officer on active and reserve duty.
I've declared 2018 as the year - April on Springer and September on Katahdin.
I've been lazy, I haven't done any serious miles since Veterans Day, so today I walked 4+ miles through a local park to get to the library that's only a half mile from my house. 17*, light snow, trails were hard packed but my MicroSpikes were welcome. Stopped at Pittsburgh's only vegetarian kosher Dunkin Donuts to warm up, then onto the State Store to stock up against threatened snow.
Tomorrow we go shopping to prepare meals to dehydrate. One of my Christmas presents was a vacuum sealer.

Congratulations on your retirement! Best of luck on your 2018 thru-hike. :)

Traffic Jam
01-21-2018, 18:34
Despite the cold, it was a good week. Sewed a down skirt and vest, spent time on the stair climber, did sit ups, push ups, and arm stuff, hiked, and road cycled.

rocketsocks
01-21-2018, 21:56
Took a bunch a meds to get over this damn flu bug...and absconded a plastic stiffener from the bottom of my wife’s reusable grocery bag for a light weight cutting board.

JG13
01-22-2018, 17:31
45 min on the treadmill @ 11 incline and 4.2 mph...great for strong ankles and leg muscles, cardio.

MtDoraDave
01-22-2018, 18:12
Mountain biking to stay in shape.
Crashed.
Now I have a three piece collar bone. Won't be backpacking for a while.

LazyLightning
01-22-2018, 18:36
nice overnight sat-sun on the Tunxis Trail in CT with a friend, a little over 17 miles from the Farmington River Tpke to Route 20. Stayed at the Roaring Brook campsite and was another group of campers there. Nice days in the 40s with snow melting and lows not much below freezing. Beautiful part of CT around the Barkhamstead reservoirs.

Been hiking/camping with a good friend this year (some weekends solo) which has been cool but I keep thinking how happy I am to be going solo on the AT. We hiked past a view and some caves in the dark so I was making a point to go check it out again in the morning. I was up by 6:30 which is actually late for me, packed all my stuff and asked my buddy but he didn't want to get up. Took all my stuff and got back to camp after 9 and I still had to wake him up again! .... then we didn't actually get moving till almost noon.... and sure enough we're pushing it at 6pm in the dark to get back to the truck.... only cause of that thing called "work" on monday morning.

It's all good that's all meant in a happy/joking way but man I sure like hiking solo. I'm gonna try to do some trips more my style before heading out. Get to camp by dark and to sleep not much after dark, then get up early/pack up in the dark and start hiking right before sunrise when it just starts getting light or even a little with the headlamp. I like hiking early from dark into the light.

could only do overnight on the weekend for now but last day of work is Feb 23rd and I leave March 7th for the trail... so I plan on getting some good ones in between there before I head out.

kibs
01-22-2018, 19:43
​Awesome picture! Thanks for sharing.

RangerZ
02-12-2018, 23:21
Spent yesterday morning cleaning up the debris from our Mardi Gras Party, so I didn't get out until about 1:30. Did only about 5 miles with my AT load, on still icy and muddy trails - my MicroSpikes worked well.

Did the last 2/3 in a light, 43* rain. When I got home I took everything out of my pack to dry it. Compactor bag and ziplocks kept everything dry that should be dry. I weighed my pack wet yesterday and dry today and the difference was 14 ounces. Almost a pound of water weight - it could be an argument for a pack cover.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras - laissez la bon temps rouler!

Singto
02-13-2018, 08:01
Placed an order for a backpack and have been walking 2.25 miles in the morning and in the evening for a total of 4.5 per day. This is to start getting my lower body conditioned for constant use beginning at the end of April. I also got a confirmation from a long time friend that I haven't seen for some time to join me on a section of the AT. He's totally excited about the hike as much as I am. Gear recommendations for him soon.

JC13
02-17-2018, 10:59
Just got back from an 107 mile section of the Pinhoti Trail, wet and muddy but great views and a great trail!

RangerZ
02-17-2018, 13:12
Dehydrated Demeter’s Mexi-Cali Beef and Bean Quinoa and Betty Crocker’s (didn’t realize that Betty backpacked, did you?) Stuffed Pepper Casserole and vacuum sealed the meals.

Sat last night and figured out the drive from Pittsburgh to Amicalola.

Going to take my 4 mile walk to the library that’s only a half mile away. Do another test run for the SPOT device.

I’ve been resisting but I’m going to trim the divider from my pack to lighten it some. I’ve already deleted stuff from my phone to lighten it up. :banana

RangerZ
02-24-2018, 22:40
Dehydrated Demeter’s Mexi-Cali Beef and Bean Quinoa and Betty Crocker’s (didn’t realize that Betty backpacked, did you?) Stuffed Pepper Casserole and vacuum sealed the meals.

Sat last night and figured out the drive from Pittsburgh to Amicalola.

Going to take my 4 mile walk to the library that’s only a half mile away. Do another test run for the SPOT device.
I’ve been resisting but I’m going to trim the divider from my pack to lighten it some. I’ve already deleted stuff from my phone to lighten it up. :banana

This week:

Copied all of my handwritten comments from my 2013 AT Companion and 2015 AT Guide into my 2018 AT Guide. Copied some stuff from Guthook into the AT Guide.

Some hiking with my AT load. Finalized my mail drops and set up boxes and mailing labels; checked that they are still accepting mail drops.

Started throwing drink mix, Lara bars, Snickers, etc in boxes. Compulsive enough to ensure that each resupply box doesn't contain duplicates (some think anal compulsive is an insult, we know that it's not). My wife is wondering why half rolls of toilet paper are disappearing from the bathrooms.

Inventoried what meals that I've already dehydrated. Currently dehydrating black eyed peas, corn and bulgur for Spanish Bulgur dinners. Next is Creamy Hawaiian Tuna (I've come a long way from the instant rice, spam and ketchup that I used to do as a young bachelor officer.) But don't worry, I also have ramen, tuna and Knorr's pasta/rice sides.

Went to Wally World to make up shortages. That alone is an experience.

Need to package up breakfasts and lunches for mail drops; package meds, etc.

Inspired another guy to think about the AT, much to his wife's consternation.

jjozgrunt
02-25-2018, 02:26
This week in addition to my normal right and left arm bends to get that beer to the mouth I opted for some intensive research. Is there anything better than a snickers bar? Well after trying almost 60 different bars, a couple of technicolour yawns and a blood test for possible diabetes type 2, I can categorically state there is no better bar. Next week, if I get the doctors clearance, I will be looking at that age old question. Are all ramen noodles equal?

gracebowen
02-25-2018, 02:50
Bought gear. I now have 2 1/3 of the big 3 .

I'm making a quilt and bought insulation. Still gotta buy the rest. Then make it.

Singto
02-25-2018, 05:29
Posted more of my stuff for sale on Craigslist.

Contemplating whether or not I should keep or sell my truck before my hike.

I have a place to keep it outside and safe at my rents house. But...you know how that can go.

I need to go to Walmart and get a moving box. Told myself pretty much all of my possessions need to fit in the box before i leave. Aside from one guitar and my tools.

It'll be pretty liberating when I know all of my stuff I need to be happy can fit in the trunk of a Honda civic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I admire you that at your age, you recognize the burden of having "stuff". My wife is mid 40's and she is just now starting to understand the freedom of owning little. I've been downsizing for years, little by little. My problem is that I have have residences on opposite sides of the planet and it's hard to manage both.

fastfoxengineering
02-25-2018, 15:50
I admire you that at your age, you recognize the burden of having "stuff". My wife is mid 40's and she is just now starting to understand the freedom of owning little. I've been downsizing for years, little by little. My problem is that I have have residences on opposite sides of the planet and it's hard to manage both.I know how you feel. It has nothing to do with being minimalist or anything, I just try not to collect too much stuff anymore. I pretty much go through all my things once a month and throw out or recycle things I don't need it. It can be as minute as old mail or articles of clothes. You'd be amazed at how much clutter this can add up to.

I do have a lot of tools though. A work bench and two tool boxes full. As long as I have a place to keep them I would never want to sell them. My father doesn't mind me keeping them in his garage. I wonder why lol. They do go hand in hand with what I do for work though.

I don't have much furniture and definitely not about to finance a god damn couch like some people my age I know. I haven't moved in a while but when I do I'm going to giveaway the last of my furniture to my neighbor. When I need more I buy second hand for very cheap and refinish it myself.

Sentimental items are nice to keep.

I have helped about 5 people move in the past two years. It's amazing how much actually junk people take with them. It sometimes looks like they emptied the junk drawer into a box and taped it up.

Backpacking has definitely influenced this lifestyle. I'm not a minimalist, I do own stuff I don't need, and I could most certainly get rid of more. But we have our hobbies and toys and more items comes with that territory. It's just important to filter out items every so often.

I like nice things and enjoy them. But I could care less about keeping up with Jones's or showing off what I have. I'm just happy I have the means to make some of my dreams happen. The trail taught me that.

Another thing the trail has taught me is that some of the most caring, generous, and thoughtful people are way less fortunate than I am. And that has always stuck with me. I have a much easier time just donating stuff now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

PcolaDawg
02-26-2018, 13:19
It's about that time for me. Took my trekking clothes and shoes to work with me so I can change into them around 6 pm and go hike the 22 floor state capitol building a couple of times. It's the only worthwhile hill around these parts to train on.

JC13
02-26-2018, 15:10
Getting gear together for ATKO. Taking a buddy out for his first trip in several years, making sure he is ready to section with us this summer.

kestral
02-26-2018, 18:24
Best of luck to you all! I am soooooo jealous.

I am recouperating from a pretty major back surgery and know I will have to go ultra light or stay home for my future sections, Lashers. So, again I wish everyone best health, physical and mental, a fun and successful trip that hits your goals! But..... if for whatever reason you decide to shorten your trip and need to recoup the costs of your UL equipment, I would be very interested. You can message me for better privacy if you wish.

Again, not wanting to throw a jinx, but I hear many folks decide to cut short after Georgia, and I know how pricy that good gear is. Never quit on a bad day! Best to you all, I will be following you on you tube, and on this sight, wishing I was there, and yeah, snickers bars are the best, but I love my once a year fix of Cadbury dark chocolate mini eggs that only come out at Easter!

LazyLightning
02-26-2018, 21:16
making sure I got everything I need and prepping at home but also out hiking with all my AT gear, doing my usual weekend hikes and some weekdays when having the chance. Nice outing this weekend with a bit of rain and a lot of wet trail... I made the mistake of wearing to much with my rain gear so not only was I burning up and having to stop to cool down (didn't feel like changing in the rain) but when I got to camp I had more layers wet then I wanted that could have stayed dry (was a low of 35 that night). They were just damp not soaked cause the frogg toggs isn't 100% water proof in rain all day but I still think that's what I want. I was good, no use trying to stay totally dry. I actually have this piece of Tyvek material that I put up my back under the rain coat and it hangs over my rain pants above the back of my knees - I'm sure it looks ridiculous but it's a wonderful thing keeping your backside dry where your pack sits against and stuff.

was about 13 mile days 3 days 2 nights, I hammered through a little over 13 in under 7 hours sunday in the rain all day. Couldn't believe it when I got to camp and saw it was only 1pm... of course this is just the Metacomet ridge in CT with elevations under 1000 and usually quite a bit under but still some nice trails and good hiking

KnightErrant
02-28-2018, 18:52
Hiked up to Angel's Rest from Pearisburg and back with my pack half-loaded yesterday. Feeling cautiously optimistic about my bum knee on my upcoming thru-hike because after 2000 feet elevation gain in 2.5 miles (and then harder, the same trip back down) no pain! My conditioning program seems to be working.

Going to triple white blaze by adding uploading a photo of white blaze beer on a white blazed trail to white blaze forum...
Cheers!

El JP
03-01-2018, 01:02
Picked up three pairs of Smartwool socks and a pair of Wigwam liners.

fastfoxengineering
03-01-2018, 05:57
Ordered my AWOLS nobo guide... Loose leaf

Bought my plane ticket to GA

Time to start packing up and organizing for real. The to do list is long.

I have floating holidays at work. Took three days off in two weeks to really get my at home stuff squared away.

I'll have the 5 days prior to my flight off as well. Plan on spending it with family and friends.

Having a hard time sleeping lately with the pre hike jitters. It always happens. I've never been on a 2000 mile hike though

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JC13
03-01-2018, 09:28
Ordered my AWOLS nobo guide... Loose leaf
Bought my plane ticket to GA
Time to start packing up and organizing for real. The to do list is long.
I have floating holidays at work. Took three days off in two weeks to really get my at home stuff squared away.
I'll have the 5 days prior to my flight off as well. Plan on spending it with family and friends.
Having a hard time sleeping lately with the pre hike jitters. It always happens. I've never been on a 2000 mile hike though
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkI understand the sleep thing. Last hike, I got zero sleep the night before and still managed to knock out 21.5 trail miles day 1. My mind was racing through all of my equipment, food, etc.

El JP
03-17-2018, 04:27
Finally picked up a proper rain jacket and two pairs of pants for the trail. A colder and hotter weather set which i'll switch out.. Got a first aid kit from Walmart and various odds and ends.

JC13
03-17-2018, 09:25
This week... Made some videos, scoured over my lighterpack lists for the next 3-4 hikes, ordered a couple of pieces of gear to replace heavier alternatives, and watched other hikers videos.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2018, 21:38
Went snowshoeing. Deciding to try and cross this stream turned into a really bad idea. I promptly crashed thru the snow and into to water.

RangerZ
03-20-2018, 00:01
Doing my local 7/10/13 mile hikes with AT load.

Parcelling out food into maildrop boxes. Gram weenieing that chicken packet at 7 oz is heavier than tuna at 2.6 oz - so chicken should go into shorter (lighter) resupply box. Which dehydrated meals are lighter?

REI pilgrimage tomorrow to get DWP and permethrin and to just smell the air. Dividend burning hole in my pocket.

Watching some vblogs to get some idea of trail conditions.

MtDoraDave
03-22-2018, 07:22
Riding a mountain bike to stay in shape for my next section is a great way to stay in cardio fitness... until it isn't.
I'm under Dr's orders to NOT put a backpack on until after my next visit to see him. He screwed this mess together with titanium bits and pieces about 7 weeks ago. Hopefully the plate/screws don't prevent me from wearing a backpack. He told me if the hardware is problematic, they can remove it after a year. I really didn't like the recovery time from the one surgery, so I hope the hardware can stay where it is forever so I don't have to recover from a second... but if the hardware IS problematic, I guess a couple months of recovery is better than a lifetime of limitations.

For those who don't know, that's a collar bone - in three pieces. Mountain bike fail.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26804668_1784858091526309_5801208558288682878_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=4ae957a1dc5a8f5aefeed0c2dcbbb4f1&oe=5B3412D2

kestral
03-22-2018, 12:30
Big ouch!

Feel better soon.

BuckeyeBill
03-22-2018, 13:25
bet that hurt big time.

ZiggySours
03-22-2018, 20:33
amen to that

Slo-go'en
03-22-2018, 21:35
I broke my collar bone once - only in one place though - but right where my pack shoulder strap rides. Have a big bump there where it welded it's self back together. Took a year before I could carry a pack again. Good luck!

Meanwhile, I continue to snowshoe, mostly breaking trail around the neighborhood. The snow is deep and soft so it's one heck of a work out.

Reverse
03-23-2018, 15:56
To prepare: Finished my inner for my tarp, repaired some gear. walked. Shopped for missing items.

JohnThe Snail
03-24-2018, 21:44
To get ready to hike this year, a little over two weeks ago had a total replacement of my left knee. Today managed to twice walk a half mile (flat, paved, but a start). Hoping to be ready for at least day hikes by June.

KnightErrant
03-24-2018, 22:04
Went on a shakedown hike from Trent's to Pearisburg recently. Huge, huge thank you to any volunteers of the RATC who contributed to the gorgeous deck added to Docs Knob Shelter!! That was the first shelter I ever slept in, on a section hike in 2016, and I only did so because the uneven, muddy ground made it impossible to tent. The mice were bad and the mud was worse, so I was not looking forward to sleeping there again. But wow! With that deck and the picnic table and the large stock of firewood already chopped up to use in the fire pit, it is so nice now. I really enjoyed my evening there.

Stone1984
03-26-2018, 07:30
A little late but I took a nice little Day hike with my new load out from Woody Gap to Neels Gap. Was a beautiful day to hike compared to the weather that has been going on in that area.

Dogwood
03-26-2018, 08:59
Riding a mountain bike to stay in shape for my next section is a great way to stay in cardio fitness... until it isn't.
I'm under Dr's orders to NOT put a backpack on until after my next visit to see him. He screwed this mess together with titanium bits and pieces about 7 weeks ago. Hopefully the plate/screws don't prevent me from wearing a backpack. He told me if the hardware is problematic, they can remove it after a year. I really didn't like the recovery time from the one surgery, so I hope the hardware can stay where it is forever so I don't have to recover from a second... but if the hardware IS problematic, I guess a couple months of recovery is better than a lifetime of limitations.

For those who don't know, that's a collar bone - in three pieces. Mountain bike fail.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26804668_1784858091526309_5801208558288682878_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=4ae957a1dc5a8f5aefeed0c2dcbbb4f1&oe=5B3412D2

I wish I didn't see that. It made me run a hand over my collar bone to feel my own Clingmans Bone. Knew what I had done the instant I tried to stand up while wearing a day pack after the bike crash. It's taken a yr to compensate when backpacking or playing tennis. Serve and overhead went beginner rec level. You'll too get less tender. Keep up the rehab.

ldsailor
03-26-2018, 10:53

I want to say something about the tent pitched on that beautiful deck, but what's the use?

KnightErrant
04-01-2018, 17:52
I want to say something about the tent pitched on that beautiful deck, but what's the use?

The explanation, as told in my trail journal:

"As the afternoon faded to evening, I used my camp stove for the first time out in the woods to make some ramen. When I finished, I carefully packed away all my food, dishes, and smellable toiletries and hung them in a tree a couple hundred feet away from the shelter. No other hikers had passed by since my arrival, and I was beginning to resign myself to my first night of camping alone. And if I was going to be eaten by a bear, I would be eaten, but I would not have people reading my obituary, clucking, and saying “Silly girl should have known better.” I was going to take every safety precaution in the book.
Next, I thought I would tempt fate by setting up my tent inside the shelter. (I think the technical hiking term for this is "a dick move.") My rationale here was that just like forgetting an umbrella practically guarantees a rain shower, I might be able to entice the universe to deliver me some human company if I was selfishly unprepared to share the space with other hikers. Once they arrived, I swore, I would apologize and happily move the tent out of the way and cohabitate. And if that plan failed, at least the tent would discourage mice and spiders from bedding down with me. This extra sense of security was completely a false one: the gauze-thin mesh would no more stop a chewing mouse than a charging bear, but it made me feel like I had a little bubble of safety, the same as how when you’re a kid the monsters in your closet can’t get you if you’re hiding under the covers. But fate resisted my temptations, and no other hikers came.
Tl;dr I was hoping that if I assumed no one else was coming and hogged all the space, people would surely come. My strategy failed, but camping alone for the first time, much like flying alone for the first time, turned out to be exactly the same as doing it with company. Probably easier.

Anywho, THIS week, I went on another shakedown hike (although I think I'll leapfrog over this section later, so I suppose I've started the thru-hike in earnest) and I froze my butt off near Mt. Rogers but I was given a trail name! So that was pretty cool. I'm still deciding if it's "the one" and if I'll use it when I start at Springer, but I'm leaning toward yes.

Elaikases
04-01-2018, 18:24

No kidding. Had the shelter all to herself and she still camped on the deck instead of in the shelter, leaving space just in case someone else showed up.

Traffic Jam
04-01-2018, 19:45
The explanation, as told in my trail journal:

"As the afternoon faded to evening, I used my camp stove for the first time out in the woods to make some ramen. When I finished, I carefully packed away all my food, dishes, and smellable toiletries and hung them in a tree a couple hundred feet away from the shelter. No other hikers had passed by since my arrival, and I was beginning to resign myself to my first night of camping alone. And if I was going to be eaten by a bear, I would be eaten, but I would not have people reading my obituary, clucking, and saying “Silly girl should have known better.” I was going to take every safety precaution in the book.
Next, I thought I would tempt fate by setting up my tent inside the shelter. (I think the technical hiking term for this is "a dick move.") My rationale here was that just like forgetting an umbrella practically guarantees a rain shower, I might be able to entice the universe to deliver me some human company if I was selfishly unprepared to share the space with other hikers. Once they arrived, I swore, I would apologize and happily move the tent out of the way and cohabitate. And if that plan failed, at least the tent would discourage mice and spiders from bedding down with me. This extra sense of security was completely a false one: the gauze-thin mesh would no more stop a chewing mouse than a charging bear, but it made me feel like I had a little bubble of safety, the same as how when you’re a kid the monsters in your closet can’t get you if you’re hiding under the covers. But fate resisted my temptations, and no other hikers came.
Tl;dr I was hoping that if I assumed no one else was coming and hogged all the space, people would surely come. My strategy failed, but camping alone for the first time, much like flying alone for the first time, turned out to be exactly the same as doing it with company. Probably easier.

Congratulations, you got through the first night alone, finding what made you comfortable. My first attempt wasn’t as successful. Hopefully, you will have many solo nights on the trail. :)

Venchka
04-02-2018, 01:38
For the first time since forever, I went for a walk yesterday afternoon. 6.5 miles, 2 hours & 650 vertical feet later I returned home. I was only aiming for 3 mph and didn’t expect to reach that goal.
If my old bones are still working in the morning, I will go for another walk.
Cheers!
Wayne

One Half
04-02-2018, 09:49
For the first time since forever, I went for a walk yesterday afternoon. 6.5 miles, 2 hours & 650 vertical feet later I returned home. I was only aiming for 3 mph and didn’t expect to reach that goal.
If my old bones are still working in the morning, I will go for another walk.
Cheers!
Wayne
I'm jealous of even that little elevation gain!

Slo-go'en
04-02-2018, 10:14
All our lovely snow is turning into mashed potatoes and the lower end of the trails into mud pits, so no more snowshoeing. Instead I have to walk the road to break in my new boots.

I said no new gear for this years hike, but I really needed the new boots. While at EMS I saw a pack on sale for half price and ended up buying it. At $70 it was too good a deal to walk away from. Still trying to decide exactly what to put into it.

7 days and a wake up and I head to Florida for a week to visit my dad, then it's back to Harpers Ferry and SOBO into Virginia!

Venchka
04-02-2018, 16:20
I'm jealous of even that little elevation gain!
Don’t be jealous. It takes a lot of 25-50 foot ups and downs to get to 650 feet.
Back out this morning. Recovery day.
4.12 miles. 1:19. 261 feet.
Wayne

Venchka
04-04-2018, 10:48
Don’t be jealous. It takes a lot of 25-50 foot ups and downs to get to 650 feet.
Back out this morning. Recovery day.
4.12 miles. 1:19. 261 feet.
Wayne
Day #3:
6.3 miles. < 2 hours. 535' elev. gain.
I'm jogging a little here Boss.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
04-04-2018, 17:30
I got the flu, surfed the web for gear I might want to buy, priced flights to Kathmandu in case I want to trek to Everest Base Camp, and surfed on-line hiking web sites. I'm good to go. BTW, did you know you can fly from Chicago to Kathmandu round trip for less than $700. What a deal.

Venchka
04-05-2018, 01:03
I got the flu, surfed the web for gear I might want to buy, priced flights to Kathmandu in case I want to trek to Everest Base Camp, and surfed on-line hiking web sites. I'm good to go. BTW, did you know you can fly from Chicago to Kathmandu round trip for less than $700. What a deal.
Good grief. How much is the ticket to where you start the trek to base camp? The airport name escapes me. The one that ruined the neighborhood?
Wayne

Venchka
04-05-2018, 01:06
This airport:
Tenzing–Hillary Airport, also known as Lukla Airport, is a small airport in the town of Lukla, in Khumbu, Solukhumbu District, Province No. 1, eastern
Wayne

Ethesis
04-05-2018, 15:04
Finally got my sleeping bag. My new trowel came in (a little longer and a little thinner than my deuce of spades).

Next I will redo my ground cloth. Will be the fourth I’ve done for the three tents I’ve done them for.

Getting my own preferences dialed in.

Ethesis
04-05-2018, 15:06
Doing my local 7/10/13 mile hikes with AT load.

Parcelling out food into maildrop boxes. Gram weenieing that chicken packet at 7 oz is heavier than tuna at 2.6 oz - so chicken should go into shorter (lighter) resupply box. Which dehydrated meals are lighter?

REI pilgrimage tomorrow to get DWP and permethrin and to just smell the air. Dividend burning hole in my pocket.

Watching some vblogs to get some idea of trail conditions.

freeze dried chicken is the bomb. Just saying.

Slo-go'en
04-05-2018, 15:40
Still trying to decide on my clothing mix. Fussing with little odds and ends.

Most importantly, doing as much walking as time permits to break my feet into new boots. Went out today in 10 degree wind chill. Hopefully for the last time for a while! Spring is still on hold up here in the Whites.

RangerZ
04-05-2018, 18:32
Finalled my food maildrop boxes, mailed out the first two. Packaged various drugs, etc to be included in a couple of boxes. Permethrin'd and DWR'd clothes last week.

Checked everything that goes into the pack. I'm not going to be the guy packing the last night and discover that my food bag doesn't fit.

Cleared various to do lists. Deleted photos/apps from my phone to reduce weight. Still looking at youtubes and journals.

Plan to take it easy on Friday.

Driving from PGH to TN on Saturday, to Amicalola Falls SP on Sunday. Approach Trail on Monday, then the AT on Tuesday.

Going to visit Camp Merrill on Sunday, haven't been there for 42 years, maybe this time I won't be yelled at by RIs. RLTW!

It's been a long five years to get to this point.

Traillium
04-06-2018, 08:20
It's been a long five years to get to this point.

Hope you’ve included your trash compactor bag!

(I’m still using the one you so generously sent me two years ago!)

Have a wonderful time!

RangerZ
04-06-2018, 08:35
Hope you’ve included your trash compactor bag! (I’m still using the one you so generously sent me two years ago!
Have a wonderful time!

For the occasion I changed out to a new bag!

Thanks for the good words.

JC13
04-06-2018, 10:59
Ordered a new custom pack last night. Chatted with Atlas about Pinhoti and BMT apps. Looking at mileage charts again to figure out potential camp spots.

Venchka
04-07-2018, 10:50
Ordered a new custom pack last night. Chatted with Atlas about Pinhoti and BMT apps. Looking at mileage charts again to figure out potential camp spots.
Please tell us all about the custom pack order.
Thanks!
Wayne

Venchka
04-07-2018, 10:53
That fare increases by over $1,000 in the rest of the USA. No clue how much the Lukla Airport flight adds.
Have fun!
Wayne

JC13
04-07-2018, 12:26
Please tell us all about the custom pack order.
Thanks!
WayneLol, not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. In any case, talked with Chris Zimmer at Zimmerbuilt and had a Dyneema X version of the Quickstep built.

Venchka
04-07-2018, 13:49
Lol, not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. In any case, talked with Chris Zimmer at Zimmerbuilt and had a Dyneema X version of the Quickstep built.
No sarcasm at all. I really wanted to know what you had bought. Thank you. I’ll have to look up Chris’s Quickstep. How large is the one you are having built?
Wayne

JC13
04-07-2018, 17:27
No sarcasm at all. I really wanted to know what you had bought. Thank you. I’ll have to look up Chris’s Quickstep. How large is the one you are having built?
Wayne36L, I added padded straps, 2 sternum straps in case I want to run with it and two shoulder pouches for snacks/electrolyte packs. I was looking at buying an MLD Burn with Prophet straps but I didn't have 8-12 weeks. I needed something for some shorter hikes in the summer.

Hoofit
04-08-2018, 07:09
Building up my 'snicker` consumption abilities....
Can now put away 17 snicker bars a day ....bite size...but working on the big ones...

MuddyWaters
04-08-2018, 09:52
...ate a large pizza by myself
Followed by ice cream

Slo-go'en
04-08-2018, 14:15
Bought a new frogg toggs "pack jacket". Looks a bit more stylish and durable then the rain suit version.

Weighed the pack for the 100th time. Looks like it's settled in at about 17 pounds (base). If it warms up, I can unload 2 pounds somewhere along the way.

Getting down to the wire, I start my travels in a few days...

BuckeyeBill
04-08-2018, 15:57
Took my oldest grandson to REI to get him some replacement equipment and grabbed a few things for myself while I was there. He told me on the way home that he wanted to do the AT with me and if I was up to it, the PCT and CDT together as well. I laughed and told him I would love to, but I might need some new knees first. He said "Grandpa you get around better than (his other grand parents) and you are so much fun to hangout with. Now how can I say no to that?

Night Train
04-11-2018, 23:05
I ran. A lot.

RangerZ
04-12-2018, 09:59
Started the trail on Tuesday. Currently on ram rock mtn. Great sunny warm day.