PDA

View Full Version : Cable Gap and Sassafras Shelters?

Theosus
02-28-2017, 20:11
A group of us are doing a long weekend soon up to Cable Gap and Sassafras, just south of Fontana Dam.
What the water like up that way, and are there any issues since the fires last season to report?

Mountain Soldier
03-09-2019, 20:41
update. sassafras shelter has a serious pile of trash , dirty site. ridgerunner - get after it!

Furlough
03-10-2019, 08:57
update. sassafras shelter has a serious pile of trash , dirty site. ridgerunner - get after it!
Many many more hikers than Ridge Runners. Did you attempt to help the trash, dirty site issue by hauling any trash out? Yes Ridge Runners and Maintainers do haul out trash and clean sites. Zero reasons that a hiker (even a through hiker) can't help out even if just a little.

Uncle Joe
03-14-2019, 21:57
Apparently they cleaned up Cable Gap, as I was there on 3/13. Sassafras still had a pile out at the privy on 3/11.

GoldenBear
07-12-2021, 11:51
Update on both shelters:
As of July 6 & 9, both shelters are in quite good shape, trash-wise.
Water is flowing well at Cable Gap, and probably at Sassafras as well. I didn't check the latter's spring because I trying to stay dry during a huge thunderstorm.
I was surprised at the low level of graffiti at Cable Gap, and the excess of it at Sassafras.

Tipi Walter
07-12-2021, 13:17
I think Cable Gap is the oldest shelter on the AT---maybe---here it is in action---

There's a great CS not far from the shelter and the spring---if you need to avoid humans as I do.