PDA

View Full Version : Long distance hiking meds/vitamins/etc

lilgodwin
03-01-2017, 01:01
I don't really do pills. Off and on I'll try something (fish oils, multi, etc). When I'm in pain, I usually don't take anything. I just deal with it. Though I do keep sinus meds arrive, usually just take a Claratin.

I'm planning on a multi vitamin, sinus pill, and an inhaler. Asthma has pretty much subsided since I was a teenager and I haven't really used it much in the last 5-10 years. Regardless, it'd be stupid not to bring it.

So what's suggested for the trail? I'm talking OTC stuff. Specific vitamins? Pain meds? Ibuprofen, advil, aspirin, Tylenol, etc?

If you're going to suggest anything, also please include a why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

lilgodwin
03-01-2017, 01:11
Oh! Some form of antacid would be necessary to not having a miserable time. I feel like I get real bad acid when I eat lots of granola bars and/or peanut butter. Without it, it'd be rough.

bigcranky
03-01-2017, 08:08
I am not a doctor. If you have asthma, bring the albuterol inhaler - I don't use mine often, but I'd be foolish not to bring it. A multivitamin is probably not a bad idea, given the usual nutrition level of trail food :) . I bring Naproxen (Aleve) for pain relief as it's only one pill twice a day (ultralight!), BUT before using it for any sort of long period of time, check with your doc.

My acid problems generally clear up on a hike, but I do bring some antacids just in case. Whatever works for you. I also pack individual packets of benadryl in case I am stung and have a reaction, anti-diarrhea pills, and a tiny jar of dental adhesive in case I lose another crown on the trail, or break a tooth.

windlion
03-01-2017, 08:24
Ibuprofen "vitamin I" is widely abused by thru hikers. Not a doctor here -- there are several risks tied to long term or above recommended dose usage. That said, I tend to use a couple of 200 mg gels after a long day, and a single 200 mg in the morning.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-01-2017, 09:12
Imodium.....surely you can figure out why!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTT
03-01-2017, 09:21
You need to protect certain vitamin pills. When exposed to heat and humidity they turn into sludge in zip lock bags.

garlic08
03-01-2017, 09:31
Bring what you use. If you get headaches, joint pain, gastro-intestinal problems, skin problems, bring what helps. If things don't bother you, don't bring the meds for them.

I got tired of replacing expired pills (Vitamin I, antihistamines, Immodium) shaken to powder, never touched, in my pack, so I stopped carrying them.

On the AT, you're seldom very far from medical or pharmaceutical help if something new pops up.

saltysack
03-01-2017, 09:44
Bring what you use. If you get headaches, joint pain, gastro-intestinal problems, skin problems, bring what helps. If things don't bother you, don't bring the meds for them.

I got tired of replacing expired pills (Vitamin I, antihistamines, Immodium) shaken to powder, never touched, in my pack, so I stopped carrying them.

On the AT, you're seldom very far from medical or pharmaceutical help if something new pops up.

I guess a wine cork could replace the immodium![emoji51]

ScareBear
03-01-2017, 09:45

Well, even if I get bothered by replacing expired pack meds(the only thing that goes untouched long enough is the Immodium), I still do it and still carry them. Immodium being the one drug you may need actually need to use to be able to even get to the next town for drugs. Everyone's idea of what THEY need differs, of course. My med kit has my prescription pain and cholesterol meds, VitI, Immodium and Benadryl. Also, I carry electrolyte replacement tabs but those are not in the first aid kit. My first aid kit also has tools/supplies that the vast majority of other hikers won't have, or wouldn't know how to use even if they had them...HYOH...just sayin.....

hyperhiker
03-01-2017, 11:23
Several bacteria cause diarrhea and I have had a severe case on the trail so I carry a few pills like Imodium. Two days from a trail head is too far when you have diarrhea and dehydrating fast. I carry Ibuprofen but try to limit using it, but this will be my first thru hike attempt so we'll see. I carry a couple of allergy and cold pills that weigh very little. I have debated carrying a multi vitamin but there seems to have been a lot of studies recently questioning their effectiveness so I'm undecided.

burger
03-01-2017, 11:36
You should ask your doctor about the multivitamins. Current thinking is that taking supplemental vitamins and minerals is not recommended unless your are deficient in something or have a condition that requires it. Excess amounts of some vitamins and minerals can harm your health (excess calcium has been associated with heart attacks iirc). If you do need supplements, just get the ones you need. For most people, multivitamins are a waste.

My med kit for any hike is: allergy meds, benadryl, immodium (enough to get you through a few days in case it's a long way to town), a handful of ibuprofen (which I almost never use), acid reducer, and a few benadryl for bites and stings. I've heard that some people bring a few hard core Rx painkillers in case of severe injury--that's not necessarily a bad idea as long as they are for emergencies.`

If you're going to be somewhere really remote with bad water (like the CDT in New Mexico where you are drinking gross cow water daily), I'd get a prescription of Tinidazole in case you get Giardia. It's just 4 pills--we never ended up needing them anyway. I wouldn't bother for this for the AT or shorter trips.

evyck da fleet
03-01-2017, 12:24
The only meds I carry are whatever came with my first aid kit. A few packets is all I need to carry to get to the next town if something comes up. My usual response to multi day pain is rest. I'm not for trying to numb it until I feel it again and repeating the cycle. That being said I don't have any conditions that require regular medication or the possibility like asthma.

greenmtnboy
03-01-2017, 12:40
I'd focus on the core energy if you have a strong constitution. I have usually been a 20 mile a day hiker with the pack. Enough calcium is important, vit c, a couple grams a day, maybe B50s, some superfoods as you find online, herbs like quality organic garlic in bulb form. Aspirin. Keep it simple. Only take what you need.

Dogwood
03-01-2017, 14:09
The only "meds" - drugs- in my FAK are usually a 4 Benadryl and 8 NSAIDS like Alleve. Like Garlic I can go several LD hikes and not use these up.

Not a doctor. Since you have some existing conditions work with your health care provider. Healthcare is so individual specific.

FWIW, I take blood thinner, joint, cognitive enhancers, digestion, anti oxidants(R - Alpha Lipoic Acid and NAC( N- acetyl- cysteine)), and recovery supplements on and off trail. A joint supplement like Osteo Bi Flex containing glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, Boswellia serrata, etc helps my joints. Collagen, low mol hyaluronic acid, pycogenol, Turmeric, Bromelain, and papain all help with joints and possibly address other things. Not taking highest quality supplements and the possible benefits may not be realized. Do your own research, and again, work with your health cared providers.

Old Hiker
03-01-2017, 14:27
I was deeply concerned with intestinal problems popping up. I washed my hands BEFORE every meal and AFTER every poop with 1/2 sheet of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-Soap-Cleaner-sheets/dp/B003EMAFO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488392512&sr=8-2&keywords=soap+sheets

Never had problems - dumped the Imodium.

Took OTC vitamins the second half - maybe one every other or every 3 days, just in case. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Had powdered milk for vitamins and extra calcium. Drank 500 mL a night and sometimes in the morning.

Meds: 2 Tylenol extra strength per day and 2 ibuprofen per day - one set in the A.M. - breakfast - and one set at lunch. Mixed them up every few days. One Aleve almost every night unless it was 1 Tylenol PM to sleep. Had a LOT of leg pains.

My chemistry tests came back OK, so the 5-6 months of ingesting the above wasn't harmful to my liver and/or kidneys. YMMV.

TN James
03-01-2017, 14:47
What I'm planning on taking.

Vitamins:
Centrum Adult Multivitamin
Fish Oil 320mg capsules -- I will take these every other day until I run out.
Vitamin D 5,000 IU capsules -- I'm D deficient right now, I'll probably take these every day the entire hike.

Meds:
Prescription -- N/A
Ibuprofen -- Will use sparingly.
Imodium
Benadryl -- or a non drowsy Antihistamine

Wyoming
03-01-2017, 14:52
First you have to realize that we all have some uniqueness and you will have to adapt via experience to your specific requirements.

I personally have evolved a lot over the years on this very issue and you will too.

What I carry:

1. A little claritin as I occasionally have hard reactions to pollens.

2. A bottle of Ibuprofen. Which I only take on rare occasions. I do not believe that anyone should be taking it every day - let alone several times a day. If you hurt that much figure out why and fix the problem as there is no reason to hurt that bad (unless you have debilitating former injuries from which it is not possible to fully recover). I only take vitamin I when I ache so bad I cannot get to sleep (I have had a badly broken back and this often bothers me a lot).

3. I have a prescription of the antibiotic which cures giardia given to me by my doctor. He understands long distance hiking and that I am often by myself somewhere in the desert and having the ability to get through this by myself is important.

4. I have 5 prescription Hydrocodone pills for the extreme emergency should I do something like break a leg when by myself and have to make some miles no matter what. I have walked out once with a broken foot when hiking and another time for over a week with a broken ankle (this was in the service and was done to avoid compromising a mission) when I was younger by taking enough pain killers to allow me to keep moving.

5. A prescription for a condition unrelated to hiking which I have to take every day regardless (old age sucks).

That is it.

RockDoc
03-01-2017, 15:55
If you try to eat a really nutritious diet, you shouldn't need vitamins or supplements.

Having said that, trail food is often little but carbs and sugar (granola, oatmeal, and pop tarts are examples of nutritionally worthless food). You will get sick eating that way because your body requires fat, protein, and vitamins. There's no requirement for carbs... (yes, you can use it for energy if you want to be a sugar burner and not access your fat stores much).

So if you eat real food, be happy. If you eat carbage, add vitamins and supplements by the ton...

AfterParty
03-01-2017, 21:41
I carry a pack of imodium just in case and I will take naproxen twice a day for 3-4 days then off it and back on. That was my Dr advise. I do carry some weed too it helps with lots of issues.

jj dont play
03-01-2017, 22:56
IMO ibuprofen is alll you need on you. You'll be able to get your hands on other stuff (pepto, cold medicine,etc.) when/if needed.
A multi-v isn't a bad idea either due to the likely poor diet.

One Half
03-01-2017, 23:15
I carry Ibuprofen, a few anti diarheal tabs (if I need more than that I am getting a ride to town) and will probably take some allergy meds (I used to have terrible allergies when I lived in MA and NH but haven't since moving to TX) as a bout with allergies can be a real kill joy.

KDogg
03-02-2017, 01:42
I carried two different inhalers (I have asthma) that I never used because my asthma never flared up. Better safe than sorry.

Was also popping vitamin I for a few days here and there and carried quite a bit at a time, just in case.

Had pepto tabs and benadryl with me the whole way just in case.

I also had a few percocets with me (leftover from a minor surgery) and boy am I glad I had them. In the middle of the HMW I fell pretty softly. When I went to push myself up I placed my hand on a branch that then proceeded to hit me in the face and scratch my eye. Pain! I only used one pill that night but it was fairly uncomfortable for a few days. The first night was horrible though. I'll get my doctor to give me a new script if I decide to do this again.

TTT
03-02-2017, 07:14
For diarrhea you can filter burnt wood ash into a container and drink it. It contains potassium which regulates water retention and flow.

Wyoming
03-02-2017, 14:16
If you try to eat a really nutritious diet, you shouldn't need vitamins or supplements.

Having said that, trail food is often little but carbs and sugar (granola, oatmeal, and pop tarts are examples of nutritionally worthless food). You will get sick eating that way because your body requires fat, protein, and vitamins. There's no requirement for carbs... (yes, you can use it for energy if you want to be a sugar burner and not access your fat stores much).

So if you eat real food, be happy. If you eat carbage, add vitamins and supplements by the ton...

You are very inaccurate with that post and it constitutes bad advice.

Here is a link to a series of items about long distance hiking nutrition needs and which foods are suitable for carrying in a backpack which provide those needs. The information is from Dr. Braaten a PhD in nutrition who is also a long distance hiker. Hiking nutrition needs are very different from the way you should eat when living in a city environment.

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 14:49
Some vitamins and supplements are lacking in sufficient degrees in foods. I'd have to eat sometimes excessively heavy, bulky, or very large amounts food to get anywhere near specific degrees of vitamins and supplements both off and on trail.

Storm
03-02-2017, 19:55
I always take my arthritis meds. A multiple vitamin, some form of antidiarea med and a small bottle of Tylenol. The first two weeks are always the worst for me. After that the aches and pains associated with city living seem to fade away.

lilgodwin
03-06-2017, 00:12
So now I'm only curious about pain meds...

I'm comfortable with the other meds/vitamins I've picked up, but what about pain meds? I've got some typical stuff here at the house, but I never take any. I've heard wonders about BC Powder, ask I did end up picking up a small pack (5?) of those. I guess those might be good for emergencies. But what sold I consider taking for the more common discomforts? I'm not trying to insinuate that I'll be popping pain pills daily, because that's just not me. But what specifically would be best? I've heard a combination of ibuprofen and aspirin? Any specific ones?

Venchka
03-06-2017, 01:22
Imodium.....surely you can figure out why!

A few Pepto-Bismol tablets to chew after taking the Imodium. Advice from a doctor of tropical medicine at Tulane Medical School as I was going to work in Africa. I always carried a half dozen for the next 6 years working in Africa and Kazakhstan. They work!
Be well. Be safe.
Wayne

TTT
03-06-2017, 07:47
Knee braces or wraps will make your life easier

Another Kevin
03-06-2017, 20:23
There was a thread on this topic just a month ago, and I offered a lengthy answer (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123113-Doping-on-the-trail?p=2125640&viewfull=1#post2125640) about what I do. I'm not going to trouble to repost it.

George
03-06-2017, 21:57
I find that bourbon makes a good all around treatment, if it does not cure the problem, it will make it so you just don't care

Wyoming
03-07-2017, 11:38
I find that bourbon makes a good all around treatment, if it does not cure the problem, it will make it so you just don't care

I just realized all that pot I see and smell being smoked all the time was strictly for medicinal purposes :sun

lilgodwin
03-07-2017, 11:54
I just realized all that pot I see and smell being smoked all the time was strictly for medicinal purposes :sun
I certainly hope it's not that prevalent on the trail...