PDA

View Full Version : Springer to woody

Dripline
03-01-2017, 10:47
We're planning to hike Springer to Woody gap in one day. We'll drop our car at woody and get shuttled to FR 40 parking area. Anyone out there do this? What time did you start and how many hours should we plan?

Trailweaver
03-01-2017, 11:39
Call the Hiker Hostel - they shuttle and can advise you on how long it might take. However, I notice you are from Florida. Are you prepared for mountain climbs? The Ga section is tougher in reality than it looks like on paper.

MuddyWaters
03-01-2017, 11:54
Hiker hostel only shuttles their guests

Dripline
03-01-2017, 12:21
Call the Hiker Hostel - they shuttle and can advise you on how long it might take. However, I notice you are from Florida. Are you prepared for mountain climbs? The Ga section is tougher in reality than it looks like on paper.
We've done several sections so far- one each year. Approach trail, Woody to Neels, Hogpen to Unicoi. I'm a veteran Adirondacks hiker with Mt. Marcy under my belt, so no stranger to tough trails. I'll probably use Ron's service for the shuttle. The first year we started this we did the approach trail round trip in a day looping past the Hiker Hostel on the way out so the mileage was around 18. Figured if we could do that, 21 shouldn't be problem. Just don't know how the terrain compares between the two.

Uncle Joe
03-01-2017, 12:22
The crux of that hike is between Hightower and Gooch. Lots of climbing in that section.

Dripline
03-01-2017, 12:32
The crux of that hike is between Hightower and Gooch. Lots of climbing in that section.
IfIdecidetodohalfthesectionisthereagoodplacetogeta ashuttlepickup?Andmaybesomeonecantellmewhymyspaceb arisn'tputtinganyspacesintoreply.I'mnewatthis.

JC13
03-01-2017, 12:36
IfIdecidetodohalfthesectionisthereagoodplacetogeta ashuttlepickup?Andmaybesomeonecantellmewhymyspaceb arisn'tputtinganyspacesintoreply.I'mnewatthis.It's a feature.

It actually happens based on where you start your quote reply.

bigcranky
03-01-2017, 12:57
It's 20-ish miles. The first 9 or 10 are objectively easy. Then you hit a couple of stiff climbs over Sassafras and Justus mountains, then a five mile stretch of short up-and-downs from Gooch Gap to Woody Gap. If it were me I'd want a pretty early start and to do it with max daylight. I'd probably take 12 hours or so to hike it, plus a couple of hours for breaks, but I'm a particularly unfast (or "half-fast") hiker.

johnspenn
03-01-2017, 13:02
IMO the first 8ish miles are pretty easy. After that it gets more challenging, sort of a roller-coaster ride for a while. Also it's typically pretty dry from Hightower to Justus Creek (6ish miles) so bear that in mind.

I'm contemplating going Springer to Neel as a day hike, so if you do this hike let us know how it went and what you thought!

FreeGoldRush
03-01-2017, 13:33
We're planning to hike Springer to Woody gap in one day. We'll drop our car at woody and get shuttled to FR 40 parking area. Anyone out there do this? What time did you start and how many hours should we plan?

A few months ago I hiked Three Forks to Woody in a day. The four miles from Springer to Three Forks is mostly a gentle sloping downhill. It took about 7 hours of hiking plus a one hour rest stop. You may want to plan to add another 90 minutes if starting from Springer. There are no surprises with the trail. Just the usual "why does this have to be so steep?" sections.

ggreaves
03-01-2017, 13:46
It's a feature.

It actually happens based on where you start your quote reply.

Ithoughtitwasjustme

skater
03-01-2017, 13:54
If you choose to do half the section, you can catch a shuttle at Cooper Gap at mile 12.3. If you're using Ron for the shuttle, he knows that spot quite well. It's in between Sassafras and Justus, so you would get one of the two tough climbs in this stretch but avoid the other.

Dripline
03-01-2017, 18:26
IMO the first 8ish miles are pretty easy. After that it gets more challenging, sort of a roller-coaster ride for a while. Also it's typically pretty dry from Hightower to Justus Creek (6ish miles) so bear that in mind.

I'm contemplating going Springer to Neel as a day hike, so if you do this hike let us know how it went and what you thought!That's about 32 miles. Going to have enough daylight?

johnspenn
03-01-2017, 18:31
That's about 32 miles. Going to have enough daylight?

I'm thinking of doing it late April/early May. We will have to keep moving but yes, I believe it is doable. I just completed a 22 miler from Neel to Unicoi in 10-11 hours, so I think with the daylight savings and longer days we should be able to get it done.

glenlawson
03-01-2017, 19:29
The key to this is the shuttle. You'll get to your car, just make sure your headlamps have fresh batteries. The earlier your start, the less darkness you will hike through.

You should be able to do this in 9 to 15 hours. This is one of those funny sections where the shuttle is about the same length as the hike. Once your shuttle picks you up at Woody, it will take a little more than an hour to drive to the FS 42 parking lot along Cooper Gap Rd.

Are you going to hike from Springer? don't forget about the mile from the parking lot to the summit and then the same mile back. Plus time to sit on the rock and talk about how cool this will be.

FreeGoldRush
03-01-2017, 19:48
Take a headlamp and charged batteries. It would suck to stop a few miles short just because you were moving slower than anticipated and it got dark. Take something to stay warm at night - just in case.

Dripline
03-01-2017, 20:34
The key to this is the shuttle. You'll get to your car, just make sure your headlamps have fresh batteries. The earlier your start, the less darkness you will hike through.

You should be able to do this in 9 to 15 hours. This is one of those funny sections where the shuttle is about the same length as the hike. Once your shuttle picks you up at Woody, it will take a little more than an hour to drive to the FS 42 parking lot along Cooper Gap Rd.

Are you going to hike from Springer? don't forget about the mile from the parking lot to the summit and then the same mile back. Plus time to sit on the rock and talk about how cool this will be.Not sure if we'll backtrack to Springer. I want to but it will depend on when we arrive at FS 42. I met Ron at the Unicoi parking lot last year and seemed like a reliable ride, but I'm open to other suggestions if any of you have had good experiences with other drivers. Gonna need someone who is willing to be up before day break and values being on time.

Dripline
03-01-2017, 20:37
If you choose to do half the section, you can catch a shuttle at Cooper Gap at mile 12.3. If you're using Ron for the shuttle, he knows that spot quite well. It's in between Sassafras and Justus, so you would get one of the two tough climbs in this stretch but avoid the other. Is there any cell phone service in that area?

Uncle Joe
03-01-2017, 20:40
I got LTE at Gooch Gap FWIW on my Sprint phone.

glenlawson
03-01-2017, 23:06
for much of this section, I have better cell service than I do at home. thank you U.S. Army. it generally breaks down this way: if you are higher in elevation than FS 42, you'll have a signal, lower than 42, no signal.

Trailweaver
03-02-2017, 02:14
Joyce & Sally also shuttle out of Hiawassee. They're reliable and affordable. I mentioned the Hiker Hostel (above) because I assumed you would be spending the night somewhere after a drive from FL. Ron's good too. There are a lot of shuttle drivers in that area because it's so busy during hiker season.

Pendragon
03-02-2017, 06:27
Joyce & Sally also shuttle out of Hiawassee. They're reliable and affordable. I mentioned the Hiker Hostel (above) because I assumed you would be spending the night somewhere after a drive from FL. Ron'ns good toow. There are a lot of shxnnnkjjxxxnkuttle drivers in that area because iqt's so busy during hiker seammjjukmson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dripline
03-02-2017, 11:26
Joyce & Sally also shuttle out of Hiawassee. They're reliable and affordable. I mentioned the Hiker Hostel (above) because I assumed you would be spending the night somewhere after a drive from FL. Ron's good too. There are a lot of shuttle drivers in that area because it's so busy during hiker season.Do you have Joyce & Sally's contact info (email/phone)? I'd like to have a few to choose from in case some of them have prior commitments.

bigcranky
03-02-2017, 12:58
Joyce and Sally, 706-896-9339

Venchka
03-02-2017, 16:16
I'm thinking of doing it late April/early May. We will have to keep moving but yes, I believe it is doable. I just completed a 22 miler from Neel to Unicoi in 10-11 hours, so I think with the daylight savings and longer days we should be able to get it done.

Daylight savings time has ZERO to do with hours of daylight.
Shaking his head.
There are daylight hours calendar generators online. No guessing required.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk