PDA

View Full Version : Day hike in the Smokies near Asheville.

mot13ley
03-01-2017, 19:29
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are visiting Asheville, NC over her spring break this week. We are spending a week there and want to do a scenic day hike in the nearby Smokies. Have any of you have any suggestions? Also, if any of you have some favorite things to see/do in Asheville I'd love to hear your ideas as well!

-Thanks

illabelle
03-01-2017, 20:18
Not in the Smokies, at least not the park, but you could go climb Mt Pisgah. I was born and half-raised in Asheville, been to Mt Pisgah and just driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway many times.
Another option south of Asheville is Chimney Rock. Commercialized, but still very worth the trip, unless you're terrified of heights.

Mr. Bumpy
03-01-2017, 21:16
Again, not the Smokies but Mt. Mitchell State Park, or Lineville Gorge. both are closer to Asheville and arguably have more bang for the buck.

CalebJ
03-01-2017, 21:18
You could hike to the summit of Mount Sterling or Mount Cammerer from exit 451 of I40.

oldwetherman
03-01-2017, 21:52
It will cost a few dollars entrance fee but I think the nicest place in the area is Grandfather mountain. It's not far from Linville Gorge. If you go to the Gorge be sure you do the short trail to Linville Falls.

Captain Bluebird
03-01-2017, 21:57
Sierra Nevada brewery! Awesome in the Summer and Fall months. Highly recommend after your walk in the woods...

oldwetherman
03-01-2017, 22:07
Total agreement on the Sierra Nevada brewery!!

NC Hiker/Angler
03-01-2017, 22:18
If the temps will be nice you should also consider Art Loeb trail in Shining Rock Wilderness (off the Blue Ridge Parkway) or Roan Highlands. Both are high elevation with few trees so the views are outstanding.

devoidapop
03-01-2017, 22:21
Again, not the Smokies but Mt. Mitchell State Park, or Lineville Gorge. both are closer to Asheville and arguably have more bang for the buck.

If you get a clear day, definitely go to Mt Mitchell. The view is amazing and there are trails for every level of hiker.

CalebJ
03-01-2017, 22:28
Sierra Nevada Brewery is definitely worth the stop.

HooKooDooKu
03-01-2017, 22:54
An interesting day hike us the Booger man loop.
To get there, you have to drive down into Cataloochee Valley. There are a few nice spots to see a view along the way, old church buildings, and possibly see some elk. The Booger man loop itself will require getting your feet wet as there are several unbridged stream crossing. The loop goes by some interesting ruins (rock walls) and is about 8 miles long.
Given the drive up and over Cataloochee Divide, at times on a dirt road, plan for this to be an all day adventure.

blue indian
03-01-2017, 23:59
Wicked Weed Brewery is where its at.

They also have good live tunes and food

Bmelee
03-02-2017, 08:34
Cataloochee Divide Trail to Hemphill Bald. My favorite trail in the Smokies (and I have done them all). Good views from both sides of the trail before the trees leaf out and fabulous views from Hemphill Bald.38447

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2017, 10:01
Deep Creek Trail and Big Creek in the Smokies. You may have to check some trail closure and seasonal road status.

But your best bet is the Mountains to Sea Trail as it runs right through Asheville along the Parkway. You can always do something from Waterrock Knob to Mt Mitchell along the parkway. Graveyard Fields is always a maze of trails.

Drive up I 26 to Sams Gap and climb Big Bald or continue into Tennessee to Rocky Fork SP.

Wolf Pit at Linville Gorge is the easiest to get to trailhead with BIG views.

HooKooDooKu
03-02-2017, 10:30
Cataloochee Divide Trail to Hemphill Bald. My favorite trail in the Smokies (and I have done them all). Good views from both sides of the trail before the trees leaf out and fabulous views from Hemphill Bald.38447

Cataloochee Divide Trail to Hemphill Bald is one of the best hikes I've done in GSMNP. But at 7.1 miles ONE WAY, it's hard to call that a day hike for the average person.

I did it as an over-night hike where I first hiked to Hemphill Bald for a late afternoon view, then retreated to campsite #41 a few miles away. The next morning, returned to Hemphill Bald for a morning view, then continued pass Hemphill Bald on the Hemphill Bald Trail (i.e. the Cataloochee Divide trail becomes the Hemphill Bald trail.

mot13ley
03-02-2017, 14:18
Thanks to all for the recommendations! After looking at some pics of Mt. Mitchell I don't think it's a place I can afford not to check out. I'll be there a week so I'm sure I'll do some other hikes as well.

Sierra Nevada has always been my favorite brewery. I had no idea they had a NC brewery. I'm looking forward to checking it out along with other breweries. I'm also excited to check out the music scene.

Pondjumpr
03-02-2017, 14:28
Table Rock, the NC one, is also a good day hike near Mt. Mitchell if you head up that way. It has been years since I hiked up there but it was a good one from what I recall.

Another option not far from Asheville is Dupont State Forest. They call that area the Land of Waterfalls. Lots of close waterfall hikes (easy) and you can see several in a short day. Several more that you can get to on longer trails. It is just outside of Brevard, NC.

2NewKnees
03-02-2017, 22:10
Go to Sylva on the way back from the Smokies and hike Pinnacle Peak. Yes, the same one that just made headlines with the nails in the roots. It is a great hike, with awesome views at the top. Good spot to camp too if you want. Then head down to Innovation Brewing for great beers, atmosphere, and a really good food truck too. When you go back to Asheville hit Highland Brewing! Tons of good day hikes on the parkway between Balsam and Asheville on the way.

Wheezy
03-03-2017, 15:30
If you go to Mt Mitchell the Deep Gap Trails aka Black Mountain Crest is outstanding. Can do it as an out and back and go as far as you want. The entire trail is about 12 miles one way but within the first 5 miles of the Mt Mitchell parking lot you'll cross 5 6000ft peaks.