PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

Almost There
01-24-2006, 11:27
My wife has a new friend who just moved here(ATL) from Texas to escape an abusive relationship. She has two children and they left almost everything behind. My wife has hinted to me and I am not at all against the idea of sort of being a male role model(Me, yeah I know!) for the eleven year old son, who is dying for adult male attention. That being said from what I have been told he is a kid who enjoys the outdoors as much as he enjoys his video games. Now I have yet to meet the kid, but my wife swears he is great and would love to go hiking or camping. I started thinking this might be a great thing to do for the kid, but here's the problem, his mother doesn't have any money right now and won't for several months as she completely gets on her feet, we've managed to find several people to donate furniture, etc. to them, including ourselves. I probably would buy the boy a pair of boots or shoes to hike in, what I wanted to find out seeing as kids grow out of clothes and gear, is if anyone of you have any old gear from your kids collecting dust. I would love to take him out and teach another generation about the trail we love, but I can't afford gear for him. Worst case scenario, I see if I can rent gear or take him dayhiking. I don't like asking for stuff from people so if you don't want to help or feel negative about th situation..please don't comment, I'm trying to do something nice for a kid who's father wants nothing to do with him or his mother. If you can help or have suggestions feel free to post here or pm me. I don't know his size yet, but I know he's eleven years old, and is average size for his age. Thanks all for just reading!

general
01-24-2006, 11:47
thrift stores, or a play it again sports for a pack, dirt cheap, check with winton at mountain crossings, no telling what he's got, on the cheap, for boots.

Alligator
01-24-2006, 11:47
I've got an adult size 20F polarguard sleeping bag I could send you. It's not kid size, but if you want it, I'll send it. And a closed cell pad. Probably a few other odds and ends too, I'd have to look.

The Solemates
01-24-2006, 12:15
AT, I think I still have an old 3/4 length cheap inflatable mat that i got at walmart for like $10 many moons ago. it would probably be better to buy a new one, but it doesnt have any leaks, so if you want it i can try and scrounge it up.

TN_Hiker
01-24-2006, 12:15
My son has some trail runners and suitable clothes he has outgrown. Get some sizes and will see what we can come up with. Also, check out some of the Boy Scout troops in your area. If you can get him involved w/ Scouting he will quickly make new friends and some other male role models. In addition; a lot of troops have extra gear on hand. Disclaimer.......I'm a Scout leader so I'm sure I'm baised --- but I'm convinced a boy with a broken home life has the most to gain from the programs Scouting offers. I've witnessed it first hand many times.

TN_Hiker
01-24-2006, 12:16
You didn't

TN_Hiker
01-24-2006, 12:18
You didn't mention the mom. Other than funds, what does she need? Also, consider contacting some churches for further assistance as she gets back on her feet. HATS OFF to you and your wife for your efforts.

orangebug
01-24-2006, 12:20
I'd endorse the idea of Boy Scouts involvement. For that matter, consider calling "211", the United Way's line for assistance for folks as your describe. If the friend is fleeing an abusive relationship, consider getting her hooked in with "Battered Women's Shelter" - or whatever it is called in your area.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 12:21
Thanks, guys I appreciate the responses so far in such little amount of time. I will definitely have sizes by Saturday night as they will be over for dinner. BTW I didn't say but I'll reimburse for any shipping that may be needed for any donations. Least I can do for generouse folks!

sparky2000
01-24-2006, 12:24
I have a definate boys backpack, camo that's ok and brand new.
Email me and I'll send it out stuffed with a few other things.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 12:27
She's gonna be better off than many, as she has already managed to find a good job, but she only gets $300 a month support for two kids. She has an apartment and so far has gotten a bunkbed through church. My wife managed to secure her a bed from a hotel that is renovating. We are giving her a tv, sofa chair, and some other odds and ends. We got another person to give her a sleeper sofa, lamps and a table. However these are all great suggestions some of which I may make after meeting and talking with her some on Saturday. She does have a nursing degree, so once she gets her license transferred to Ga she will definitely be doing all right. I just felt bad for the son, my wife was over there on Sunday and the son called from a friends house to check and make sure that his mom was doing all right. That's a little bit of stress on an eleven year old boy. So I figure I'll see what I can do to help him be a kid.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 12:37
Alligator,

I may take you up on the sleeping bag, that's a very generous offer! That was a concern of mine, although i could always rent. You feel free to pm me, and let me know what you need! Thanks! See for the most part we all get along just fine!

dixicritter
01-24-2006, 13:40
PM or email me your address and we will donate an Ion Stove Kit (no need to reimburse for the shipping either) if you want it for the boy.

otterman
01-24-2006, 13:52
I have a slumberjack inflatable sleeping pad that I don't use any more. It's only been used a couple of times because I got one that is more compact. I may have other miscellaneous things, but I will have to check when I get home.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 14:18
Almost There:

I'm not sure anyone's mentioned this, but I think what you're doing here is great! If you guys would like to join me for a stretch of Trail this spring or summer, I'd be delighted to hike with you. You bring the kid, I'll do the cooking!

Dances with Mice
01-24-2006, 15:12
...and his camping stuff's up for grabs. He's had lots of opportunities to take what he wanted and he's been told our house is not his off-site storage facility. This are things he really doesn't want:

Cookset, compass, flashlight, first aid kit, emergency whistle, water bag, misc. stuff like that. I think a good REI synthetic bag, maybe some raingear, definitely some nylon clothing, maybe some polypro but son was size large. I'll have to do an inventory. A dogwood hiking staff can be special ordered from the DwM dogwood orchard. Also a daypack, outdoor type rather than cheap school bag variety. We can talk about a tent, if you think he's serious I have a spare one but I do want to make sure it will be used and appreciated.

I'd really be glad to find a good home for it all. I was stashing son's stuff away the other night and thinking that it was too good to throw away but not really enough to make a decent donation to the local Scout troop.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 16:03
You guys are overwhelming me. I talked to my wife earlier during my lunch break and she said she actually talked to the boy herself about possibly hiking and or camping and that he seemed completely excited about the idea. It's possible I'll get home tonight and she'll be able to tell me the size this boy is from his mother. BTW I feel bad that I keep calling him this boy, his name is Skyler. For all those offering kindness I will PM or email you later today or tonight. For those with kind words I thank you as well.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 22:00
Guys, my wife says that Skyler is about 5ft tall, maybe a little shorter and wears a size 6 shoe. She said he's a skinny little guy, who is all excited about going out hiking. I will be in touch with all of you who have offered to help allow this kid to become a backpacker. Also I think his mom is completely up for getting him involved with scouting, so I just have to figure who he needs to get in touch with. Right now due to a fire in the complex they had moved into his mom is getting ready to move them again, probably into the Woodstock, Cherokee Cty area of Georgia. Thanks again!

Skidsteer
01-24-2006, 22:20
Tell you what, A.T.,

After all the dust settles and you figure out what the boy lacks for equipment, let me know and I'll see if I can fill the bill. It doesn't look like there'll be much left to supply after all the generous offers, but I've got a fifteen year old that has outgrown most of his first round of gear...I'd not only be glad to help with gear but if you'd like, me and my son will go on an outing with you; maybe something easy and fun for his first time. Let me know.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 23:06
Skidsteer you are awesome!!! Tell you what I probably will take you up on the outing. I can't believe how generous everyone has been. I have alot of you to get back to individually. I might wait till this weekend though when I can actually meet Skyler in person.

Skidsteer
01-24-2006, 23:11
Skidsteer you are awesome!!! Tell you what I probably will take you up on the outing. I can't believe how generous everyone has been. I have alot of you to get back to individually. I might wait till this weekend though when I can actually meet Skyler in person.

Cool. Be advised though, I will most probably be hiking this weekend so any PM's won't be answered until Sunday night at best.:D

Almost There
01-24-2006, 23:43
Not a problem, enjoy your hike!!!

TN_Hiker
01-25-2006, 10:52
Hey Almost......I check on boot sizes tonight and get back with you. Also, here is the contact info. for the Scouts. You can contact them and they can tell which troops will be closest to you.
Atlanta Area Council 92
1800 Circle 75 Parkway SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: (770) 989-8820
Web site: <TT>http://www.atlantabsa.org</TT> (http://www.atlantabsa.org)

You can just feel the love on this thread.....AWESOME!!

PartnerShip
01-25-2006, 22:43
I got most of our equipment on ebay some Patagonia Kids tops that happened to fit me for 99 cents each plus handling , North Face sleeping bag for $26 , Granite Gear Vapor Trail for $60and lots more and everything else at Goodwill . Did not buy anyything new. Good Luck and Hope to see you on the trail. If I find any good deals I will pass it on. Nice to meet you at SORUCK. It is a great thing you are doing. It will make a huge difference in his life. The response on here is amazing. What a great group of people. Hope to meet all of you soon.

Almost There
01-25-2006, 22:47
Thanks PartnerShip!

I agree I can't believe the outpouring of positive attitude from this. I can't wait to meet Skyler. From what I understand he brings up hiking and camping all the time, looking forward to when it gets a little warmer and I can take him out. Once again I will say to everyone thank you for all you do!

HarleyHogPit
01-25-2006, 23:16
This is so awesome what you are doing for Skyler. I'd like to help too. I will keep an eye out at the thrift and sporting good stores for hiking gear if I think he can use it I will buy it and send it to you. I could probably be of better help with non-hiking items that they may need settling into their new home. Clothes, decorations, dishes, blankets, ect. I am assuming that Skyler has a sister. She may need some stuff too. I have nice clothes and shoes that I would love to give to the girl or her mother if they need it. Let me know what they can use and where to send the stuff.

Doctari
01-26-2006, 12:26
My $0.02 even tho it looks like all is covered: Shop @ Big Lots. Usually very cheap & they have everything from Furnishings to camping gear AND food.

What you are doing is Fantastic!!!

Doctari.