PDA

View Full Version : Tilley hat

FiftyNine
03-01-2017, 23:22
A friend wants to get me a Tilley hat for my hike but I'm not sure how practical they are four the AT. I usually wear a wicking baseball type of hat. Has anybody had any experience wearing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Half
03-01-2017, 23:27
I own one because when I went to Big Bend I forgot to pack a baseball cap and my choices were a Tilley hat or a dopey hat that looked like a Gilligan hat but in either pink or blue. However I have never found that style hat to work well with a large backpack. In BB we were doing just day hikes so no problem.

nsherry61
03-01-2017, 23:40
I have used a Tilley hat as my primary outside hat for over 25 years now. They are exceptional.
- They can be warmer than some hats. But, they shield you from the sun extremely well.
- They have the best stories hidden inside the top secret compartment. . . they float.
- They cost a fortune, and are worth every penny if you like them because they pretty much never wear out, and work really well.
- Read the strap instructions, because, if you follow them, you have a hat that can be held on your head several different ways and holds up to high winds like no other brimmed hat I've ever seen or used.
- Even though they aren't water proof, I use mine as a rain hat all the time because they still shed most of the water, and I don't mind a damp head, I just don't want rain running down my neck.
- If your backpack rides really close to the back of your head, then the back brim (the part that protects the back of you neck from the sun), can hit the backpack and be annoying. Instead, you can use a trucker's hat and have the back of your neck fully exposed to the sun. . . hmmm. Which choice?
- I have spent significant time shopping for Tilley hat alternatives that are cheap or have a different look, or aren't quite as warm in really hot weather. I have consistently failed to find an overall improvement. The brim size is just about perfect for sun protection. The strap system is exceptionally effective at keeping your hat on in all kinds of nasty windy weather. You can beat the crap out of it and it still comes back looking pretty good.

Accept your Tilley gift. It will keep your head drier in the rain, protect you better from the sun on both days, and look better all at the same time.

Feral Bill
03-02-2017, 00:14
I have used a Tilley hat as my primary outside hat for over 25 years now. They are exceptional.
- They can be warmer than some hats. But, they shield you from the sun extremely well.
- They have the best stories hidden inside the top secret compartment. . . they float.
- They cost a fortune, and are worth every penny if you like them because they pretty much never wear out, and work really well.
- Read the strap instructions, because, if you follow them, you have a hat that can be held on your head several different ways and holds up to high winds like no other brimmed hat I've ever seen or used.
- Even though they aren't water proof, I use mine as a rain hat all the time because they still shed most of the water, and I don't mind a damp head, I just don't want rain running down my neck.
- If your backpack rides really close to the back of your head, then the back brim (the part that protects the back of you neck from the sun), can hit the backpack and be annoying. Instead, you can use a trucker's hat and have the back of your neck fully exposed to the sun. . . hmmm. Which choice?
- I have spent significant time shopping for Tilley hat alternatives that are cheap or have a different look, or aren't quite as warm in really hot weather. I have consistently failed to find an overall improvement. The brim size is just about perfect for sun protection. The strap system is exceptionally effective at keeping your hat on in all kinds of nasty windy weather. You can beat the crap out of it and it still comes back looking pretty good.

Accept your Tilley gift. It will keep your head drier in the rain, protect you better from the sun on both days, and look better all at the same time. All true and more. The Airflo (synthetic fiber) suits me. In winter I wear a Winter Tilley daily. You also get to strike up conversations with other Tilley wearers pretty often.

Pastor Bryon
03-02-2017, 00:16
Love my Tilley hat! Great for day hikes, fishing, general outdoors stuff. Not good for hiking, though...bumps up against the pack no matter how you situate it.

gpburdelljr
03-02-2017, 00:24
I have a Tilly Airflo. It is guaranteed for life.

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 00:31
Accept it with a smile and a grateful Thank You. Someone appreciates you. Tilley hats are often pricey, long wearing, used in the garden harvesting, when guiding a trip, and are always included in my A River Runs Through It fly fishing trips. It is as Nsherry stated.

As an alternative for the sun that is less hot but much less durable is the open weave straw lifeguard hat. http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/straw-hats/451139-1681/dorfman-pacific-open-weave-straw-lifeguard-hat.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=451139-54943&scid=scplp451139-54943&sc_intid=451139-54943&gclid=CIXgno79ttICFUi1wAodplcPLQ You can get knock offs at 1/2 that price. I've worn one on a few sun baked desert hikes and wading/skiff fishing in Florida for bonefish, jacks, pompano, and redfish.

Miner
03-02-2017, 01:00
I own both a Tiley's Airflo LTM5 and the slightly wider Airflow LTM6 so you can say I voted with my wallet. I use the wider one for desert hiking and the LTm5 for everything else. as the LMT6 is wider, it will more easily hit your backpack if you have a tall pack. The LMT5 being a bit shorter doesn't hit as often. Though I use a pretty small pack that doesn't normally stick above my shoulders unless I use the extension collar to carry a lot of food so I don't have any issues with the hat hitting. Others with larger packs may complain with any wide brim hat. As someone mentioned, the double straps will keep it on your head in the strongest of winds that will have most hats flying off (including baseball caps).

As for one being needed for the AT, the answer is depends. Are you only hiking after the trees have leafed out? How easy do you burn? Hiking through the green tunnel doesn't really need the extra sun protection, though it can help keep the rain off your face or glasses when you aren't using a rain jacket. Hiking before the trees leaf out or after they have fallen will give you a lot of sun exposure. As will some of the alpine environment in NH and Maine. If you don't burn easy or enjoy using sunscreen, then you don't really need it. I admit to using that ATC's store's AT Logo baseball cap with the vents on it going SOBO until the leaves came off and I noticed I was starting to burn on my face.

For use on other trails like the PCT and CDT, I'd say definitely yes.

Venchka
03-02-2017, 01:03
Tiley Ouback owner. Happy as a clam.
The Sunday Afternoons River Driver is preferred at altitude.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine
03-02-2017, 03:00
Currently on the AT and wearing my Tilley every day. Be prepared to cinch it down in the wind though. Almost lost it the other day...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-02-2017, 10:33
I love my Tilley and wear it all the time, tho in the summer I switch to an Outdoor Research ballcap with a removable cape for my neck.

Odd Man Out
03-02-2017, 11:35
I have had Tilly hats before. They are excellent as stated above. Note that there are several models made with different fabrics and brim sizes. Someone gave me a wide brim canvas hat which I find too wide and heavy (but have used for car camping with success). But the Airflow models mentioned above have a ventilated crown, lightweight synthetic fabric, and narrower brim. These are great for hiking. My problem with the ubiquitous baseball cap style hat is it provides no sun or rain protection for the ears or neck. I know the AT isn't particularly sunny, but I have a very pale complexion and like a single hat that can work for all conditions. I feel a hat with a good brim is pretty much the solution to all weather problems. Too much sun? Wear a hat. Raining? Wear a hat. Too cold? Wear a hat. Also, for warmth, I have a nylon Buff I pull down over my forehead and ears and then put the hat on top of that. It's amazing how that extra layer on your head will warm you up.

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 12:27
Highly breathable Legionnaires style hats with removable neck flaps work well in the sun.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-1Pcs-Hot-Sale-Camping-Hiking-Fishing-Outdoor-Big-Wide-Brim-Mesh-Face-Neck-Cover-Mask/32747345408.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.88.EtqSDA

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/48700 I've used this in deserts on hikes.

Now I prefer a cheap visor which keeps the sun out of eyes, yet is the ultimate in ventilation, and a draped bandana(w/ UV protection) for the neck that tucks in under the visors head strap.

Storm
03-02-2017, 13:46
I love my Tilly hat for casual wear. Have never worn it on a hike. When I see a Tilly on the AT my first thought is "dayhiker". Sorry if that offends anyone but I just don't think they are good for a long distance hike.

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 13:59
'Toiling Tilly' would make for a decent trail name.

rocketsocks
03-02-2017, 14:07
One vote for the ball cap

ldsailor
03-02-2017, 17:30
I love my Tilly and it protects my bald head during the Florida summers and especially when sailing. Unfortunately, the back of the brim hits my backpack so I can't wear it while hiking; otherwise I would.

blw2
03-02-2017, 17:46
agreed with others. My first was I think a T1 or maybe a T3. i like it ok, but its a canvas one and hot.... and I bought it too small. If you get one make sure it's sized loose!
My 2nd is one of the airflow models, the LTM6 I think
agreed brim is too big for this purpose. I love the shade + rain protection though and it's my primary outdoor hat

they make a hiker model http://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats/t4mo-1-hikers-hat.html
but I don't know about it

I would think one of their smaller brim models might be ideal.... like a T5 maybe?

FOBS
03-02-2017, 22:14
Original T3 Canvas model has been my go to for spring/summer backpacking for a long time. Actually my go to for most anything outdoors in spring/summer. Canvas can get warm in the heat of summer but keeps rain and sun out of my eyes and off my neck and the T3 brim is short enough and floppy enough it has never been an issue with my pack.

D.D.Bear
03-02-2017, 22:58
T5MO Organic Airflo is my daily grab - whether on AT for a week or like today around the back lakes.

rhjanes
03-02-2017, 23:20
Love my Tilley Airflow. I wear is hiking every weekend (just day pack). I get asked a few times a year "what is that hat!!! Where can I get one!!". I backpack with it, and have not noticed the brim hitting the pack.
that said, I also have a UL, sun blocking, hiking cap with neck drape. I've yet to use it. I should try it.

Elaikases
03-02-2017, 23:24
Love mine. Doesn't look dopey and prevents sunburn.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2017, 00:02
I love my Tilly hat for casual wear. Have never worn it on a hike. When I see a Tilly on the AT my first thought is "dayhiker". Sorry if that offends anyone but I just don't think they are good for a long distance hike.

Funny. When I see a Tilley I think "Canadian". When I visit my sister-in-law in Ontario, I swear every other person I see is wearing a Tilley Airflow.

Traveler
03-03-2017, 08:33
These are very practical hats. My Tilley hat has suffered through a lot of stuff. Brush snags so dense it would pull off my head, fierce heat in deserts, weather of all types, and wind, which the unique strapping system works to keep it on your head even during a rather windy train ride in an open car. the only wear I have on them is the patina that developed on the strap grommets and a really elegant fading that gives a look of "I've been places you've read about".

I rarely go out without this hat, which can be balled up and shoved into a pack, pulled out and not lose its shape. Most of the time I can wear the hat with a pack, though the Gregory pack when real full interferes with that. Since its rare I use that pack its a non-issue. As a camp hat its perfect, its perfect for bug nets, perfect for sun protection, perfect for rain (especially if you wear glasses), and for me helps to moderate body heat when I stop during a cool day. I guess you could say I like it.

These are fairly expensive hats as well as versatile, deserving a gracious thank you if someone gifts it to you!

SkeeterPee
03-03-2017, 09:47
Is there a particular Tilley that is best in AT hiking? Perhaps one the dries quickly and keeps you cool in humid wet conditions?

Miner
03-03-2017, 23:43
One of the airflow models that use a synthetic material and have venting around the crown. I'd choose the LTM5 model as the best size. The more popular LMT6 has a too wide of a brim for what you need on the AT(it's more suited for the PCT) and likely will just be in the way. The airflow models dry quickly and do vent the worse of the heat. Those that talked about them being hot I think are talking about the traditional canvas ones which are heavier and don't vent well.

Tangor
06-11-2017, 17:54
These are awesome hats. My hiking friend bought one for our SOBO this year and wore it last week when we were hiking in IN. I was pretty envious and went out today and bought one. It never hit his pack, and even if it did the rear section of bill can be folded up a bit to allow for clearance if your pack rides higher than ours do.

I had a trucker hat for the week and the problem I had was when the sweat would start running into my eyes, I wanted to switch to my bandana and I had to stop and attach my hat to my pack. With the Tilley, one could just flip it back off their head and it would land on their pack and stay attached with the neck strap.

Great hat. Top quality and I am really excited to get it dirty on the AT.

Christopher

lonehiker
06-11-2017, 18:10
Have had mine for years. So comfortable I basically forget that I am wearing it.

skater
06-11-2017, 19:58
I have the hiker model, and recently took it an an overnighter. It did tend to get too warm, and the pack and brim DoD sometimes spend too much time together for my liking. It's possible to minimize these problems, but you will probably have them somewhat. So you get some advantages and disadvantages, but it will last you a very long time. Do be sure to follow their sizing chart. Don't go by whatever size you normally wear.

magic_game03
06-11-2017, 20:11
I am so glad to be the salmon in this torrent of group think. Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback. Don't waste your money!

Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Make the AT great again!

Feral Bill
06-11-2017, 20:40
... Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback...

Make the AT great again!

Hardly. They offer lightweight, useful protection from much unfortunate weather, do not blow off in the fiercest winds, and have not been rendered obsolete by newer technologies. Also, they are available off the shelf without months or years of wait time. If the cost is a problem, there are knock offs for less that work well enough, I suppose. If there is something better, do tell.

nsherry61
06-11-2017, 20:52
I am so glad to be the salmon in this torrent of group think. Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback. Don't waste your money!
Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton. . .
Wow, have you ever owned or used one?

Tilley hats originated for sailing, not safaris. They aren't a pith helmet after all. They may be fashionable in some circles, warrantying a sense of "group think" by some people, but dude, you're way off base here. Although no one piece of clothing is going to be the best choice for every person in a given activity, the Tilley hat performs as advertised and has a well earned positive reputation. Frankly, for most of the last 25 years I've been wearing Tilley hats, I've felt like the weirdo geek wearing such an un-cool hat just because it worked so well, but I wore it anyway just because it worked so damn well compared to any alternatives I could find. I've also spend quite of bit of effort trying to find hats that cost less and/or look less Tilley-like and have utterly failed to find anything that comes close to comparing.

By the way, the current Tilley Airflo hats are an all new design with better venting and cutting edge materials, unlike the old cotton T3 which which still rocked and did look a little safari-like. Of course Sir Richard Francis Burton could only have dreamed of having a safari that that was as well designed and made as the Tilley T3. Heck, the T3 established the brand, and then it was outdone by the Airflo. Go figure.

FiftyNine
06-11-2017, 21:03
Wow, have you ever owned or used one?

Tilley hats originated for sailing, not safaris. They aren't a pith helmet after all. They may be fashionable in some circles, warrantying a sense of "group think" by some people, but dude, you're way off base here. Although no one piece of clothing is going to be the best choice for every person in a given activity, the Tilley hat performs as advertised and has a well earned positive reputation. Frankly, for most of the last 25 years I've been wearing Tilley hats, I've felt like the weirdo geek wearing such an un-cool hat just because it worked so well, but I wore it anyway just because it worked so damn well compared to any alternatives I could find. I've also spend quite of bit of effort trying to find hats that cost less and/or look less Tilley-like and have utterly failed to find anything that comes close to comparing.

By the way, the current Tilley Airflo hats are an all new design with better venting and cutting edge materials, unlike the old cotton T3 which which still rocked and did look a little safari-like. Of course Sir Richard Francis Burton could only have dreamed of having a safari that that was as well designed and made as the Tilley T3. Heck, the T3 established the brand, and then it was outdone by the Airflo. Go figure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/7522d9a0db8ed077fbe267712553b057.jpg

On the AT with my Tilley hat

Elaikases
06-12-2017, 07:20
I've enjoyed my Tilley Hat. I burn so easily without it.

eggymane
06-12-2017, 07:39
Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Make the AT great again!

As funny as I thought your safari comment was, I totally disagree with your sentiment. I don't just randomly wear mine around town when I'm not out hiking but anything outdoors its probably getting worn. My Tilley is in my pickup 100% of the time so it's always ready to be worn!