PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking cooking gear.

OhioHiker
03-02-2017, 16:29
I have been reevaluating my cook system. I am getting bored with being limited to boiling water for everything.

I currently use a GSI MicroDualist set and a pocket rocket.

I am interested in using frying pan style that I can use on a stove and in the fire if the opportunity arises. I am also probably going to switch to a MSR Dragonfly stove.

I will still have to boil water, I have to have coffee! :)

Anyhow, my concern is packed size. I don't want to just start randomly buying stuff and finding out it packs up huge! I would like to have a cup/mug, pot, pan, spatula, plate/bowl maybe x2.

I'll still keep the smaller light weight set for solo trips and day hikes.

Looking for some suggestions for people that have tried multiple things.

swjohnsey
03-02-2017, 17:32
I have a Dragonfly. My Simmerlite packs up smaller and lighter. No longer made but still available occasionally on ebay.

HeartFire
03-02-2017, 17:46
I would think that it all depends on what you're eating and how/what you're cooking - work backwards from there. I just eat dehydrated meals, so all I ever need is to boil water.

illabelle
03-02-2017, 17:55
For my husband and me, I usually carry both a pot and a frying pan. The pot came with the stove, and the stove fits inside it. The frying pan is nothing special, an ordinary pan that you might have in your kitchen. We removed the handle and it nests nicely with two bowls (also used as plates & cups). I have a backpacking frying pan with the folding handle. Our modified frying pan weighs virtually the same (within a half ounce) of the one made for backpacking, and it holds more food, and has a thicker bottom for better distribution of heat.

We cut off half the handle on our spatula. I carry a stick of margarine in a round plastic bowl with lid that fits inside the bowls we eat in.

The whole thing doesn't weigh a lot, but it can be bulky and hard to pack, especially at the beginning of a hike when our food bag is full. It adds several tasty options to our menu, so I feel that it's worth it for us.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2017, 17:59
I sometimes carry a small (5") fry pan called "the one egger" from Walmart which I cut the handle off of. Making pancakes is nice, but very time consuming. I like to also make "spam buggers" - fried spam with cheese and ketchup on a toasted bagel. Spam is much better when you fry it up some. Can't think of much else you'd want to fry.

You don't need a bowl, use your pot. Don't need a plate, use the lid of the pot.

Cheyou
03-02-2017, 18:12
I'm not a fan of Ti for cooking. Aluminum heats more even ,cheap almost as light at Ti.

Thom

cmoulder
03-02-2017, 18:33
I have been reevaluating my cook system. I am getting bored with being limited to boiling water for everything.

I am interested in using frying pan style that I can use on a stove and in the fire if the opportunity arises. I am also probably going to switch to a MSR Dragonfly stove.

Anyhow, my concern is packed size. I don't want to just start randomly buying stuff and finding out it packs up huge! I would like to have a cup/mug, pot, pan, spatula, plate/bowl maybe x2.

Before switching to a super-heavy white gas set-up, I'd suggest a cheap and slightly heavy (8 oz) canister topper stove such as the Primus Classic Trail (https://www.amazon.com/Primus-Classic-Trail-Stove/dp/B003MANJEY), which has a really wide burner head and excellent flame control.
https://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/PMS/PMS001I/ONECOL.jpg

cmoulder
03-02-2017, 19:10
Also helps to use a heat diffuser such as a ScorchBuster (http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-parts-and-accessories/scorch-buster-only.html) or MYOG equivalent (such as a metal coffee can lid), using 3 small, equally sized pebbles to raise the pot above the diffuser a bit. With these tiny burner heads concentrating all the heat in a very small area, food is going to burn no matter if the pot is made of Ti or Al...

TTT
03-02-2017, 19:22
Have a look at Kovea products. You might find what you looking for

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 19:36
I agree with Heartfire. Wanting a nesting frying pan, cooking pot, etc size is going to be determined by what you're expecting to regularly cook. Before going down the frying pan route I'd think carefully what you routinely expect to fry. If someone knows of a folding frying pan I'd like them to share this info. Expecting to fry three eggs and sausage in the morn, a 10" trout fillet, two chicken breasts, or small steak for dinner you're going to need bigger heavier cook sets. You're in control of the size of cook set you wish to carry. Heck, you can get 5-6 handled stainless, Ti, or Al frying pans that serve as the pot lid if that works for your predetermined desires. Several make these size fry pans like the Snowpeak 900 and 1400 series fry pan and pot. Too pricey I bought a similar 1600ml. Want something larger bumping the fry pan size up to 7" can be as simple as something like this : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mess-Kit-1-Man-Aluminum-Polished/33699616?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=f7423aa2-5ba1-4641-8834-be398871e19b&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=f7423aa2-5ba1-4641-8834-be398871e19b&item_id=33699616&parent_anchor_item_id=21783658&parent_item_id=21783658&placement_id=irs-106-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=UixXYRaYX72iHRwcFlrlKc

OhioHiker
03-02-2017, 19:41
Not sure what I plan on cooking really. That is kind of why I want to switch to this kind of cooking system, flexibility.

Oatmeal, eggs, meat, pancakes... the sky is the limit I guess. It would be like cooking at home.

illabelle
03-02-2017, 20:03
Not sure what I plan on cooking really. That is kind of why I want to switch to this kind of cooking system, flexibility.

Oatmeal, eggs, meat, pancakes... the sky is the limit I guess. It would be like cooking at home.

Cheese-n-chili quesadilla, grilled cheese sandwich (w/ English muffin, or one of those thin burger buns), muffins or cornbread*, vege-burger/bacon/sausage (I'm a veggie), hash browns, fresh onion/zucchini (1st or 2nd day only), sweet potato fries from your freezer (just a few can be scrumptious), fried honey buns,.... It's always best to do your frying at the shelter near other hikers who are eating their mush ... uh, I mean ... mashed potatoes and ramen. ;)

*Muffins and cornbread: forget about the egg and/or milk, just add water, but not too much - it should be on the thick side. Fry like pancakes in a little margarine.

Most of our hiking is weekend stuff in cool or cold weather. These options wouldn't work so well for a longer hike or summertime.

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 20:07
Mini 4-6" wide pancakes for the 7" fry pan. Personally, I found in actuality the fry pan wasn't being used as much as I initially anticipated so ditched it for a smaller volume less heavier less complex cookpot. If getting a wider smaller height cookpot you can fry right in it. Although if cooking is your thing on trail it is nice to have separate fry pans and cookpot. I do still take a 7" fry pan with some EVOO when more on freshwater fishing outings than hiking adventures. Sautéed or lightly fried wild ramps, ginger, morels, saxifrage(brook lettuce), sea salt, pepper, and some Brookies or a Rainbow or the occasional marmot taste great.

Dogwood
03-02-2017, 20:08
Illabelle is on it. Fried onion, roasted corn , and zucchini fritters. Garlicky potato pancakes anyone?

OhioHiker
03-02-2017, 20:25
Mmmm. That all sounds delicious.

I envision cooking food on the fire while the water is boiling on the stove for coffee

oldwetherman
03-02-2017, 21:57
Check out the relatively new MSR Windburner. It comes with the combination pot/cup that fastens to the burner but a frying pan that attaches to the burner is also available as an option.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2017, 23:31
Mmmm. That all sounds delicious.

I envision cooking food on the fire while the water is boiling on the stove for coffee

Cooking on a fire isn't as easy as you might think. Some times there's one of those giant metal grates which can be moved over the fire, but usually not. So unless you also carry a wire rack to put pots or fry pans on, there is nothing to hold your cooking stuff over the fire. So basically you have to put it in the fire.

Cooking on a bed of coals is best, but that takes time to make them. Then there is the heavy duty tin foil packet technique, where you wrap a bunch of stuff inside the foil and bury in the coals for a while to cook. But then you need something you get in there and remove the foil packet with, without poking a hole in it.

If your thru hiking or doing a long section, you don't have time or energy to get too carried away with cooking. You want something fast and simple because you want to eat now. But if your just doing 5 mile days and have nothing better to do, that's a whole different situation.

cmoulder
03-03-2017, 01:06

If your thru hiking or doing a long section, you don't have time or energy to get too carried away with cooking. You want something fast and simple because you want to eat now. But if your just doing 5 mile days and have nothing better to do, that's a whole different situation.

Yep, this is sounding more like a car-camping scenario, or very short hikes into the woods to kick back. Nothing wrong with that, but my suggestion was tailored to more emphasis on hiking. All those pots and pans and specialty ingredients to whip up a gourmet meal are going to be very heavy. Most days I just want to heat it up and shovel it down my gullet.:D

la.lindsey
03-03-2017, 02:13
Cooking on a fire isn't as easy as you might think. Some times there's one of those giant metal grates which can be moved over the fire, but usually not. So unless you also carry a wire rack to put pots or fry pans on, there is nothing to hold your cooking stuff over the fire. So basically you have to put it in the fire.

Cooking on a bed of coals is best, but that takes time to make them. Then there is the heavy duty tin foil packet technique, where you wrap a bunch of stuff inside the foil and bury in the coals for a while to cook. But then you need something you get in there and remove the foil packet with, without poking a hole in it.

It's really not that complicated. Build a small fire, tear it apart for good coal distribution. Remove foil packets by rolling them out with a stick and grabbing them with a bandana. The metal grates are really pretty terrible and will slow you down or require a bigger fire than you need. Just don't be afraid to (carefully, I guess) move around burning logs. That's all it takes.

I've met lots of thruhikers who enjoy cooking over fires; some who do 20 mile days and some who do 12 mile days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHiker
03-03-2017, 08:10
Check out the relatively new MSR Windburner. It comes with the combination pot/cup that fastens to the burner but a frying pan that attaches to the burner is also available as an option.

That looks promising. Jetboil also has a pan option too.

Greenlight
03-03-2017, 08:12
If you do it, why not go whole hog and become a trail foodie? It'll take energy when you stop and just want to pass out, but hopefully the meals will compensate for the inconvenience.

lukabrazi
03-03-2017, 10:09
Google Flat Cat Gear. He has a lightweight baking system. It's great for all that just add water stuff like biscuits and muffins. If you go to his site go to the Backpackers Cookbook PDF. I've made calzones and cheeseburgers but it's also an efficient way to just boil water if that's all that's needed.

TTT
03-03-2017, 10:19
the only thing you can't cook in this is a fondue

fastfoxengineering
03-03-2017, 13:06
Caldera cone ti tri. Worth every penny. And it makes using a fire to cook quick, safe, LNT as a fire could be, and easy.

It still takes some decent effort after a long day of hiking though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Traillium
03-03-2017, 23:51
Caldera cone ti tri. Worth every penny. And it makes using a fire to cook quick, safe, LNT as a fire could be, and easy.

It still takes some decent effort after a long day of hiking though

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/8efe89158c302403fea59fe12b8419fb.jpg

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 01:06
Traillium, what R U doing..smoking some salmon fillets in that thing? Burning up the raked leaves? :p

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 01:07
Before switching to a super-heavy white gas set-up, I'd suggest a cheap and slightly heavy (8 oz) canister topper stove such as the Primus Classic Trail (https://www.amazon.com/Primus-Classic-Trail-Stove/dp/B003MANJEY), which has a really wide burner head and excellent flame control.
https://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/PMS/PMS001I/ONECOL.jpg

Largest 8 oz canister I've ever seen.

Traillium
03-04-2017, 10:08
Traillium, what R U doing..smoking some salmon fillets in that thing? Burning up the raked leaves? :p

Damp softwood … After a few minutes it settled down to its standard slight but unpicturesque non-smoky burn. Japanese miso soup, Israeli couscous, Thai garlic peas, American bacon, cold Canuck oxygen … followed by camp coffee with chocolate almond chunks stored in. Yum! (35 minutes from pack-off to pack-on. A nice rest!)

OhioHiker
03-12-2017, 11:49
Quick update. I went to a outdoor gear store to put my hands on things and try out different pan, pot, stove combos.

I sort of had my mind made up that I needed the MSR Windboiler and pan. My sticking point with that system was price. The stove and mug is $130 and the pan is an additional $70!

I decided to go with a GSI 8" pan. At that point I needed a new stove. My pocket rocket doesn't have the flame spread or stability for a large pan.

I started balancing the GSI pan on the different stove samples. I wanted to really like the Whisperlight, but was intimidated by all the extra stuff needed for setup. I ended up with the Primus Classic Trail. I am already set up and used to using canister stoves and this one had a wide burner and was super stable. Best part it was $20 !!!

So anyhow, I did a shake down this morning inside and made pancakes using only the items I would have with me backpacking. Turned out great and my daughter loved them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170312/ce04d782eb61e9d45f2b0430541864ea.jpg

zelph
03-12-2017, 15:55
Greenlight

If you do it, why not go whole hog and become a trail foodie? It'll take energy when you stop and just want to pass out, but hopefully the meals will compensate for the inconvenience.

That is so cool and so true :cool: ........:D

Dogwood
03-12-2017, 20:32
Damp softwood … After a few minutes it settled down to its standard slight but unpicturesque non-smoky burn. Japanese miso soup, Israeli couscous, Thai garlic peas, American bacon, cold Canuck oxygen … followed by camp coffee with chocolate almond chunks stored in. Yum! (35 minutes from pack-off to pack-on. A nice rest!)

That sounds trail gourmet creative delish and I don't do pork. Guess I'll have to use Fakin Bacon.:p

cmoulder
03-13-2017, 17:25
Very nice. :)

I just need a water heater for backpacking and am not likely to ever carry a stove like this, but that is one sweet burner for more serious cooking. I have one and keep it in the car with a canister for just-in-case or for those times when tailgating at the trail head parking lot. Sometimes nice to have a real meal.

saltysack
03-14-2017, 13:57
That sounds trail gourmet creative delish and I don't do pork. Guess I'll have to use Fakin Bacon.:p

Alright I just went down to Lucky's and bought some [emoji1134] couscous...what's the easiest simple recipes.... I'm giving it a taste...I'm home sick with my kid so may as well try it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
03-15-2017, 10:16
Substitute couscous for any pasta or rice in your favorite recipes. It kind of just takes the flavor of what your other ingredients are in my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Connie
03-19-2017, 04:34
I have a Vargo 750 Sierra I use for fry, saute, steam bake with a silicone egg poacher.

I have cut a "pansize" trout to fit.

It is enough size to boil more than enough water for a freezer bag meal and a hot drink.

I like the tapered sides so the flame heats evenly.

I use the Snow Peak Hybrid Spatula and Spork set, or, the GSI compact spatula and Snow Peak Short Spork.

I drink from the pan.

I like to use it with my Zelph Starlyte w/lid and Suluk 6" diameter titanium windscreen I lift up a bit with pebbles or bobby pins as "legs" for more air movement up and out the top to achieve the better laminar flow flame.

For camping, I like the Banks FryBake or the GSI Pinnacle 8" frying pan.

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 20:40

Don't know if this would work, I purchased for myself, and it is a bit more than I need. Selling the whole kit NIB for $90 + shipping.

Wise Old Owl
04-24-2017, 00:59
Cheese-n-chili quesadilla, grilled cheese sandwich (w/ English muffin, or one of those thin burger buns), muffins or cornbread*, vege-burger/bacon/sausage (I'm a veggie), hash browns, fresh onion/zucchini (1st or 2nd day only), sweet potato fries from your freezer (just a few can be scrumptious), fried honey buns,.... It's always best to do your frying at the shelter near other hikers who are eating their mush ... uh, I mean ... mashed potatoes and ramen. ;)

*Muffins and cornbread: forget about the egg and/or milk, just add water, but not too much - it should be on the thick side. Fry like pancakes in a little margarine.

Most of our hiking is weekend stuff in cool or cold weather. These options wouldn't work so well for a longer hike or summertime.

I love adding a little NIDO

zelph
04-24-2017, 08:55
or the occasional marmot taste great.

Now that I have to try someday when I'm out west :D