PDA

View Full Version : Super cheap 2lb two person tent

Elaikases
03-02-2017, 23:25
;)

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-Outdoors-Backpacking-Ultralight-Camouflage/dp/B01M0833AR/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1488511176&sr=8-34&keywords=ultralight+tents

Elaikases
03-02-2017, 23:29
I'm amazed by the surprising number of less than three pound two person tents, some silnylon, etc. I just don't find any of them believable though.

Maineiac64
03-02-2017, 23:33
That's crazy.

Venchka
03-02-2017, 23:42
Fiberglass poles. Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethesis
03-02-2017, 23:58
I'm not getting close to any of them.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2017, 00:13
I used a cheap UL tent in backpackers campground at yosemite.
Leaving $$$$ cuben and down gear out of site while went dayhiking valley
Tent could be locked with tiny tsa luggage lock, out of sight
Put in trash when went into backcountry

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2017, 00:40
Notice the description includes the following:

Polyethylene binding floor & Polyester rain fly provide water and wind resistance
A tent that's water RESISTANT

It pretty much looks like (and priced) like the kiddy tents made of blue tarp material.

Last Call
03-03-2017, 04:34
I'll pass......stick with my Big Agnes Copper Spur,,,,,

Franco
03-03-2017, 17:40
In the UK they are called Festival tents.
That is because they are bought to give shelter for a night or two and then discarded.

Sarcasm the elf
03-03-2017, 17:54
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Bronk
03-04-2017, 13:25
I've used a lot of tents that come in the under $50 price range...mostly because I have a dog that thinks he knows how to get in and out of them by himself...well, actually, he does, and he pretty much destroys them in the process. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on a tent that I know is only going to last me a year or two. I'm camping at least 25 nights a year and these tents usually last about a year. I've never had one leak on me. Would I trust something like this on a thruhike? No way. Its strictly a weekend camper proposition.

Christoph
03-04-2017, 15:37
I have a $40 Ebay special (Dowson Products, Load Mountain). Not sure the material, but it's a hair stronger than the Walmart cheapo "pup" tent. I replaced the poles it came with, for lighter fiberglass ones from a Walmart tent (had to do a little cutting to get the correct length), and saved a little more weight where I could with it. It was 4.3lbs and is now 3lbs even with poles, steaks, and bag (compression style made from that Walmart tent). Used it on my last attempt and it made it 750 miles with no tears/craziness and it stayed really dry inside. Survived pretty good hail storm and all the weather the AT threw at it. Worked so good, I've clean it up, given it a good once over, and it's ready for my next thru attempt this year. It's 6x4 but I sleep diagonally in it (I'm 6'2") and it's actually quite warm. Pretty impressed for the price.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-05-2017, 12:04
I've used a lot of tents that come in the under $50 price range...mostly because I have a dog that thinks he knows how to get in and out of them by himself...well, actually, he does, and he pretty much destroys them in the process. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on a tent that I know is only going to last me a year or two. I'm camping at least 25 nights a year and these tents usually last about a year. I've never had one leak on me. Would I trust something like this on a thruhike? No way. Its strictly a weekend camper proposition.

I wouldn't even trust that for a weekend. when I go out the last thing I want to worry about is if my shelter is water resistant and will last another day. There's a trifecta when it comes to gear: inexpensive, lightweight, and durable. You can only ever get two out of three. I'll stick to BA and Tarptent, thank you very much.

Rex Clifton
03-05-2017, 19:37
Forget those cheapo tents, you are just wasting your money. Plan on staying in shelters and bring a cheap tarp for when you're shut out.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
03-05-2017, 21:28
How do you spell skepticle? scheptical? skeptikal? skapticle? skeptucal? oh crap.

Venchka
03-05-2017, 22:04
Skeptical. As in, "Don't even think about those tents."
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk