PDA

View Full Version : June Section- Where Would You Go

la.lindsey
03-03-2017, 10:18
I'm not sure where to post this, because I'm open to *any trail* that's not on the east coast (of the US). Unless you make a super good case for an east coast trail.

I've been doing lots of AT sections and for my last month before starting my full-time job, I'm looking for a 3ish week section somewhere different. Incredibly picturesque (I do it for the 'grams), not too faffy to get to, and just not a green tunnel, I guess. I'm capable of hiking 20-30 mile days but I don't always want to.

I'll be doing an AT section in May, so it's not like I'm abandoning that. I just want a change of pace.

Where would you go? Budget is applicable but workable. Pls post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2017, 10:25
Colorado Trail and John Muir Trail almost immediately come to mind.

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2017, 10:28
Colorado Trail and John Muir Trail almost immediately come to mind.On second thought, you said June, so no, those likely wouldn't do - probably too much snowpack until July.

tdoczi
03-03-2017, 10:29
Colorado Trail and John Muir Trail almost immediately come to mind.

are either of those actually hikeable in june? esp in a snowy year in the regions? i really dont know but i'm inclined to think it might be an issue.

come to think of it, thats sort of maybe a problem with out west in june in general. i think you mostly have your choice between still buried under feet of snow or already broiling hot.

colorado_rob
03-03-2017, 10:31
Bad timing, as normally I'd say get out to Colorado, but this year's high snow levels, so far at least, make this june's colorado hiking problematic. That being said, what happens in march and april will make a huge difference, so stay tuned for 4-6 weeks, the story could change.

Same thing, even more so in the CA sierra.

But if you're a real bada$$, there are "trails" in Utah, like the Heyduke.... but that's probably too much the other way, too hot in June.

There are some lower elevation hiking areas in Colorado that are fantastic in May and June, but nothing in the three week range that springs to mind.

I advise waiting a while to see how spring snows change (or not) the story out west.

Hikingjim
03-03-2017, 10:49
If you want a change of pace and have trouble finding suitable mountain hikes in June, the east coast trail in Canada has a good amount of trail. Very diverse scenery. Along the ocean, cool small towns/villages, and st john's is very interesting. About 180 miles of marked trail, with long stretches of wilder trail (largely unsigned) further north and south of the finished trail

I have only done a few of the "strenuous" marked sections south of St. John's. Enjoyed it a lot. No big elevation swings, but not a walk in the park for sure.

Hikingjim
03-03-2017, 10:50
http://www.eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/

la.lindsey
03-03-2017, 11:20
Bad timing, as normally I'd say get out to Colorado, but this year's high snow levels, so far at least, make this june's colorado hiking problematic. That being said, what happens in march and april will make a huge difference, so stay tuned for 4-6 weeks, the story could change.

Same thing, even more so in the CA sierra.

But if you're a real bada$$, there are "trails" in Utah, like the Heyduke.... but that's probably too much the other way, too hot in June.

There are some lower elevation hiking areas in Colorado that are fantastic in May and June, but nothing in the three week range that springs to mind.

I advise waiting a while to see how spring snows change (or not) the story out west.

How much of a bada$$? I'm not a huge bada$$ but I'd like to be one. I'm not afraid of trying.

How hot are we talking? I'm an Alabama girl, spent a decent amount of time living without AC, hiking in the summers, etc, but desert hiking is new to me. I'm a conservative hiker when doing new things and I'm good at doing research, but I don't want to do something incredibly stupid. A little stupid is fine.

I'm also ok with loops or something weird- I don't need to do a straight through section somewhere. If there's a cool area I can spend 3ish weeks in doing decent miles, that'll work too.

tdoczi
03-03-2017, 11:40
How much of a bada$$? I'm not a huge bada$$ but I'd like to be one. I'm not afraid of trying.

How hot are we talking? I'm an Alabama girl, spent a decent amount of time living without AC, hiking in the summers, etc, but desert hiking is new to me. I'm a conservative hiker when doing new things and I'm good at doing research, but I don't want to do something incredibly stupid. A little stupid is fine.

I'm also ok with loops or something weird- I don't need to do a straight through section somewhere. If there's a cool area I can spend 3ish weeks in doing decent miles, that'll work too.

the issue is the 3 weeks i think. if you've never done any desert hiking and want to give it a try, go for it, lots of good places. planning a 3 week expedition with no prior experience in the desert might be crossing that line from a little to incredibly though.

for instance. i love the grand canyon, if you've never been, you should go. but for 3 days, not 3 weeks. it is not entirely impossible to spend 3 weeks hiking there (though its a bit much, 2 is probably more typical) but it involves not just hot conditions, but route and water finding and dealing with some extremely remote areas. ie, not something for someone who has never been there to dive right into. i imagine the person who mentioned the heyduke was thinking the same kind of thing.

maybe instead of one 3 week hike, if you want to go out west, hitting a couple of different areas youve never been to makes more sense.

colorado_rob
03-03-2017, 12:00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Here is a link to the Hayduke:

http://hayduketrail.org/index.html

More of a route than a trail, I'm going to give a big section of it a shot soon. I don't know how to quantify "bad a$$", but this one is pretty far out there. One thing about the "hot" thing, a good part of the trail is fairly high, so maybe there would be an opportunity for not-too-hot hiking on parts of it in June. And, of course, "it's a dry heat". Water and other logistics are tough on this one, for sure.

See Hosh's recent CO snowpack thread, our state has dropped a fair bit recently in snowpack levels, and as I said, what happens in March and April counts a lot to our snowpack. It's supposed to be in the 60's and 70's in Denver this weekend... So, with this all being said, on "normal" snow years, and there is a shot that this will be a "normal" year, there are plenty of CO trail hikers who manage just fine starting in fairly early June, meaning you might be able to do a fair bit of the CO trail the last three weeks of June, especially if you are prepared to deal with a bunch of snowy patches. There seems to be a large percentage of folks who flip out at the mere thought of walking on snow, and I have no idea if you're one of them.

Another thought: Sections 1-5 of the CO trail are easy-peasy in June with zero snow issues, even in May, and while doing these, you could add a loop hike in the rest of the Lost Creek Wilderness, one of our favorite places in Colorado. The CT crosses through a not-great part of the LCW, but you could branch off to much batter places in the LCW from the CT. Resupply logistics could be an issue, but you could go ahead and do 1-5 in a single jaunt, resupply in Jefferson CO, then go back and hit better places in the LCW.

Here's a good web page on the Lost Creek Wilderness:

http://www.summitpost.org/lost-creek-wilderness/178676

Again, the CO trail section that crosses through the LCW passes through the least cool part, too bad, but you're close to the much better parts. To give you an idea of how much we adore the LCW, my wife wants her ashes spread there when she meets her maker.

Rain Man
03-06-2017, 10:06
... not too faffy to get to....

Gotta ask, from Nashville to Rock Island, what is "faffy"???

la.lindsey
03-06-2017, 15:27
Gotta ask, from Nashville to Rock Island, what is "faffy"???

Overly complicated. A plane to a train to a 12 hour bus to a hitchhike to a donkey to a woman named Sue who will let you ride in the bed of her pickup to her 2nd cousin's property where the trailhead is.

Faffy:)

la.lindsey
03-09-2017, 11:37
Here is a link to the Hayduke:

http://hayduketrail.org/index.html

More of a route than a trail, I'm going to give a big section of it a shot soon. I don't know how to quantify "bad a$$", but this one is pretty far out there. One thing about the "hot" thing, a good part of the trail is fairly high, so maybe there would be an opportunity for not-too-hot hiking on parts of it in June. And, of course, "it's a dry heat". Water and other logistics are tough on this one, for sure.

See Hosh's recent CO snowpack thread, our state has dropped a fair bit recently in snowpack levels, and as I said, what happens in March and April counts a lot to our snowpack. It's supposed to be in the 60's and 70's in Denver this weekend... So, with this all being said, on "normal" snow years, and there is a shot that this will be a "normal" year, there are plenty of CO trail hikers who manage just fine starting in fairly early June, meaning you might be able to do a fair bit of the CO trail the last three weeks of June, especially if you are prepared to deal with a bunch of snowy patches. There seems to be a large percentage of folks who flip out at the mere thought of walking on snow, and I have no idea if you're one of them.

Another thought: Sections 1-5 of the CO trail are easy-peasy in June with zero snow issues, even in May, and while doing these, you could add a loop hike in the rest of the Lost Creek Wilderness, one of our favorite places in Colorado. The CT crosses through a not-great part of the LCW, but you could branch off to much batter places in the LCW from the CT. Resupply logistics could be an issue, but you could go ahead and do 1-5 in a single jaunt, resupply in Jefferson CO, then go back and hit better places in the LCW.

Here's a good web page on the Lost Creek Wilderness:

http://www.summitpost.org/lost-creek-wilderness/178676

Again, the CO trail section that crosses through the LCW passes through the least cool part, too bad, but you're close to the much better parts. To give you an idea of how much we adore the LCW, my wife wants her ashes spread there when she meets her maker.

I really like the idea of the CO trail. I have no problem with snow, it doesn't bother me at all, I'd just rather not have the entire trip white stuff. Some white stuff is totally fine though.

Sea coast trails are intriguing-- Canada or Oregon Coast trail was recommended to me also. I'm still a little interested in some desert stuff, and wonder if there's a way to get a taste of desert and then move into another area that's not so waterless (perhaps on the CDT?).

But it sounds like logistically it may be easiest on the CO trail, given my time frame. I hope the elevations don't kill me!