PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Bland Va

Seatbelt
03-03-2017, 10:52
I am planning a 3-4 day section hike ending at US 52 and am wondering if there is an acceptable place to leave my vehicle there by the trailhead or do I have to hike/hitch to Bland/Bastian??

hikernutcasey
03-03-2017, 10:54
There is a large parking area there but as to the safety of leaving it for 3 to 4 days I'm not sure. Probably ok but others with local knowledge may know better.

V Eight
03-03-2017, 12:29
I have not heard of any trouble at that parking lot.

V8

Gambit McCrae
03-03-2017, 12:57
I have left a car here for a total of 6 nights, 2 occasions. No problems. It is not really a well beaten path, mainly used by local residents.

Seatbelt
03-03-2017, 13:00
Thanks for you replies. I didn't know if it is private property or not.

map man
03-03-2017, 22:09
I too plan to park at the US21/52 trailhead a couple miles from Bland on a May section hike in 2017. Google maps shows a large parking area but also shows a structure there and a label that says "Bland County Senior Center" (on the west side of US21/52). The "Rohland" AT parking website says that the parking is on the north side of the trail here, not on the south side where the big parking area and senior center are. Does that sound right to those who know the area well?

ernie84
03-03-2017, 23:11
That's right. There is a parking area on the left/north side where the trail meets US 52.

The "Bland County Senior Center" is vacant and somewhat derelict. There are "no trespassing" signs posted on the front, so I wouldn't advise parking there.

ernie84
03-03-2017, 23:26
Personally, I don't know if I would be comfortable leaving my car there overnight, just because of the location and the amount of local traffic. But Gambit's experience indicates that it is usually safe.

If you would rather park in Bland, there is a shuttle driver there named Bubba who will shuttle you to and fro for a few bucks. His number is (276) 730-5869.

map man
03-04-2017, 00:43
Thanks, ernie84. Bubba is the first person I plan to contact when I line up my shuttle from this US 52 trailhead to Damascus. Between your confirmation and a photo I found at the "Rohland" site I'm feeling now like I've got a handle on where that trailhead parking is.

It's funny how some have opposite views on the safety of parking at trailheads. Some believe that the worst place to park is a place that sees very little traffic since a vandal/robber would be less likely to be seen by a passing motorist. And some think the worst place to park is a busy road, where more people will see your vehicle and the odds increase that one of those people who see it will vandalize or rob it.

I've parked for long periods over the years at trailheads on the AT and elsewhere and have never been vandalized, though I know there are no guarantees in life. As the years go by I worry about it less.

Seatbelt
03-06-2017, 08:55
Thanks guys for this info as well. I will be parking there later this week and will let you know how it goes. Seatbelt

Seatbelt
03-13-2017, 10:26
Parking update: Parking at the trailhead is fine. A Game Warden employee was there when I arrived and said that she spends a lot of her idle time at this parking lot and that it is safe. 3 days later vehicle was fine when I arrived.

map man
03-13-2017, 18:53
Thanks for the report, Seatbelt.