PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Lonepeak 2.5's to 3.0's

Gambit McCrae
03-03-2017, 14:43
I have just about eaten up my first pair of Altra LP 2.5's. I got about $0.29 a mile out of them, at a life span of 400 miles give or take (including 90 miles of PA). My biggest concern with the 2.5's was that there was more or less zero protection from rocks, roots etc via a rock/ shock plate in the sole - looks like the 3.0s have that now.

Secondly, my only real disappointment in these shoes (2.5s) was the inserts. Very thin, and more or less zero cushion, that being said, the sole itself makes up for it, I don't know how much more comfy the shoe could have been. The inserts wore down in the first 100 miles to having holes in the heel - which is where my negative comments come from on that. Looks like the 3.0s may have more to offer from the standpoint of the inserts thickness.

Biggest concern is that some people say that with every model of the LP, the toe box gets smaller and smaller. I would like to venture to say that Altra is going to keep reducing the toe box size until they see the bell curve of "true fit for most" rating max out and start to decline, then bump the toe box dimensions back to previous "optimum fit success" model.

Looking at the picture below - 3.0 on left, 2.5 on right ( not my picture), I can see very little dimensional change in toe box however, I do think I can see a difference (3.0 a little smaller)

Thoughts or experience with the differences in these shoes?

ranger2012
03-03-2017, 15:13
I hope they never change that toe box. Hiked the PCT with 2 pair of 2.0's (picture is after 1300 miles including the lava fields of Oregon) and loved them. Hiking in 2.5's now and will be in the same situation as you soon. I have high hopes for the 3.0's.38470

Malto
03-03-2017, 16:58
I bought two more pairs of 2.5s a few months ago. One thing that I do when hiking rocky trail (I live in Rocksvania.) is use the removable rock plates out the Altra Superiors. I don't know if the latest Superiors have the plates but I have gone through several pairs of Superiors so I have them to use with either shoe.

I really hope hope they don't narrow up either the Superiors or LPs. I wear one or the other 99% of the time I have shoes on so my feet have grown very accustomed to the wide toe box and zero drop. I put a pair of Wildcats on the first time last week for a couple of miles and my calves actually hurt afterward.

Secondmouse
03-03-2017, 23:08
what is the drop? they look great but I have plantar fasciitis and don't think I can wear a flat shoe like that...

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 01:34
Olympus 2.0 toe box is fine for my Squatch splayed feet. Same with the Superior 3.o. Superior is light cush verse the max of the Olympus. Olympus has more underfoot protection than the light Superiors or moderate LP's.

Anyone use after market high arch footbeds in the LP's, O's, or S's that fit? The SuperFeet even in a size larger leave gaps around the toes making them hot spot central.

Rarely is a stock footbed anything substantial. Altras are no different.

You'll get slightly greater protection and less wear on the LP 3.0's compared to the LP 2.5's in the metatarsal phalangeal joint areas(area on the side of the foot immediately after the toe's main joints). See on the right(LP 2.5) where the yellow dash ends near the top of the rand. The rand is low and the light mesh will abrade in abrasion induced areas like Rocksylvania if you step between the rocks or slip off wile topping them. You even have a slight frazzle there now. If you get that which I do, much worse, is apply some tape or lightly smear some Shoo Goo or McNetts Seam Grip in that area just above the rand. In effect you're extending the rand slightly higher but as an overlay.

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 01:35
what is the drop? they look great but I have plantar fasciitis and don't think I can wear a flat shoe like that...

It's tweakable/workable even with a higher arch or PF.

Secondmouse
03-05-2017, 15:37
It's tweakable/workable even with a higher arch or PF.

good to know. how would you tweak it, with insoles?

my current shoe I use for plantar fasciitis is Hoka One One Stinson 3 ATR. 6mm drop and cushion from heaven...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXPA7OK/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w?th=1

Dogwood
03-05-2017, 19:03
Until I find full length after market high arch orthotics that aren't custom made($$$) that fully fit to replace the stock Altra footbeds I use arch cookies also called scaphoid pads(when they are called this expect them to be gourmet priced :)) under the stock Altra footbed. Some shoes stores give you arch cookies when buying shoes but you might be able to finagle a pr for free if asking nicely. They are just little pieces of foam like material usually with at least one sticky side.

Typical causes of PF I don't have or have previously/currently address(ed) - 1) neutral, don't have excessive pronation, my running and walking mechanics have been analyzed multiple times by running, footwear, and orthopedists and podiatrist professionals, I've had to correct a couple of things though which took a couple of yrs, I've made it a priority, I'm not fan of surgeries or pain meds that address symptoms, I want to address causes proactively 2) don't have arthritis or any syndromes that might exacerbate or cause PF 3) not overweight and typically carry 22 lb or lighter wt kit which includes 5-6 days consumables 4) I stretch achilles tendons, platter fascia, and calf muscles keeping them loose 5) prioritize dialing in shoe fit and appropriateness of model for each hike 6) replace worn shoes out for running, backpacking, tennis, walking and basketball regularly, this is far more important to me as one on my feet so often for recreation and work than obsessing over 2-3 oz saved on pricey cuben or other gear taking into context that I haven't hit the Lotto jackpot yet, when heel cush pancakes to feel like I'm walking on swiss cheese it's time to get new shoes and/or new footbeds or MAYBE heel cushions to extend the life of other wise reasonably in good condition footwear another 200 miles 7) do support my high arches. Beyond that I don't know about PF.

I'm inclined to pay $20 for foot massages that stretch the not overly sore plantar fascia seeing it as a worthy investment to continue experiencing what I do.

Not a huge fan of minimalist shoe running or extreme minimalist backpacking shoes particularly going long distances on hard surfaces although for some that's the rage and a approach that works very well. I like some cush but not a sloppy teetering on a pedestal feel. In some conditions I do like to feel the ground more. I don't plod when running, playing tennis or b ball, or backpacking.

Hoka Stinson ATR's were too narrow in the forefeet for my feet. Love their cush as you do but they can feel a little spongey/marshmellowy for some. I'd like to see a Altra or Keen large type shaped footbox in the HOKA line up. For now the Altra Olympus 2.0, Superior 3.0, and for more abrasive lower MPD avgs some of the Keens are my go to backpacking low cuts. I'm awaiting the Altra Timpanogos set to arrive on the scene sometime in summer to demo. I like HOKA's around home when feet aren't apt to be as swollen.

Gambit McCrae
03-06-2017, 20:43
Got my LP 3.0's in today, they feel like a more durable yet equally if not more light 2.5. Toebox seems to still be wide enough and I am as of right now impressed prior to actually trying them. The rock plate is very noticeable when bening the shoe and I have high hopes for them agains the northern PA rocks this spring. Will try and update after i abuse them for 140 miles thru PA. If they do not prove to be Gambit Foot worthyafter some test hikes I will update on that as well but i think they will be 2 thumbs up.

la.lindsey
03-07-2017, 11:09
Until I find full length after market high arch orthotics that aren't custom made($$$) that fully fit to replace the stock Altra footbeds I use arch cookies also called scaphoid pads(when they are called this expect them to be gourmet priced :)) under the stock Altra footbed. Some shoes stores give you arch cookies when buying shoes but you might be able to finagle a pr for free if asking nicely. They are just little pieces of foam like material usually with at least one sticky side.

What kind of shoe stores are you finding these in? I've never heard of them but they sound like exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
03-07-2017, 11:28
What kind of shoe stores are you finding these in? I've never heard of them but they sound like exactly what I need.

>>Arch Cookies (https://www.myfootshop.com/arch-cookies) <<

Secondmouse
03-08-2017, 18:14

Typical causes of PF I don't have or have previously/currently address(ed) - 1) neutral, don't have excessive pronation, my running and walking mechanics have been analyzed multiple times by running, footwear, and orthopedists and podiatrist professionals, I've had to correct a couple of things though which took a couple of yrs, I've made it a priority, I'm not fan of surgeries or pain meds that address symptoms, I want to address causes proactively 2) don't have arthritis or any syndromes that might exacerbate or cause PF 3) not overweight and typically carry 22 lb or lighter wt kit which includes 5-6 days consumables 4) I stretch achilles tendons, platter fascia, and calf muscles keeping them loose 5) prioritize dialing in shoe fit and appropriateness of model for each hike 6) replace worn shoes out for running, backpacking, tennis, walking and basketball regularly, this is far more important to me as one on my feet so often for recreation and work than obsessing over 2-3 oz saved on pricey cuben or other gear taking into context that I haven't hit the Lotto jackpot yet, when heel cush pancakes to feel like I'm walking on swiss cheese it's time to get new shoes and/or new footbeds or MAYBE heel cushions to extend the life of other wise reasonably in good condition footwear another 200 miles 7) do support my high arches. Beyond that I don't know about PF.

I'm inclined to pay $20 for foot massages that stretch the not overly sore plantar fascia seeing it as a worthy investment to continue experiencing what I do.

Not a huge fan of minimalist shoe running or extreme minimalist backpacking shoes particularly going long distances on hard surfaces although for some that's the rage and a approach that works very well. I like some cush but not a sloppy teetering on a pedestal feel. In some conditions I do like to feel the ground more. I don't plod when running, playing tennis or b ball, or backpacking.

Hoka Stinson ATR's were too narrow in the forefeet for my feet. Love their cush as you do but they can feel a little spongey/marshmellowy for some. I'd like to see a Altra or Keen large type shaped footbox in the HOKA line up. For now the Altra Olympus 2.0, Superior 3.0, and for more abrasive lower MPD avgs some of the Keens are my go to backpacking low cuts. I'm awaiting the Altra Timpanogos set to arrive on the scene sometime in summer to demo. I like HOKA's around home when feet aren't apt to be as swollen.

thank you, excellent response.

I found the Hokas when I was out of town and needed some shoes to be able to walk about 6 miles/day on concrete. I went to REI store and started to ask the girl for shoes for my planta... and didn't even get the whole word out of my mouth before she turned around and handed me the Stinsons. I tried them on and instantly loved them. I never bought a pair of shoes so fast...

Gambit McCrae
03-28-2017, 13:07
Update on the LP 3.0s - Outstanding. I see this shoe as an all around improvement from the 2.5s.

2.5's- I loved them, they were the best I had worn thus far and therefore, were the best thing ever.

3.0's- Now that I have put a couple hundos on them - They seem to have the qualities of the 2.5, but have been improved.
The sole has a good amount of stiffness to it vs the floppy 2.5
the sides are not just mesh any longer but have a structure that is quite robust.
Weight: Meh, +- about the same, maybe slightly heavier but nothing to write home about.
Insole: Its an improvement? but hasn't saved the world yet. It is still a stock insole, but of a cushier material and a lil thicker
Insole material: Seems to be more durable
Laces: Not sure why the 2.5 shoe had 4ft laces (exaggeration), but the 3.0s seem to be a more realistic, shorter length.
3.0s have a good traction bottom

la.lindsey
03-28-2017, 14:55
Hey can you post a pic? Because they look ugly as sin, and I just can't tell how they *actually* look based off the amazon pics. They sounds like they're worth it.

Gambit McCrae
03-28-2017, 16:01
Hey can you post a pic? Because they look ugly as sin, and I just can't tell how they *actually* look based off the amazon pics. They sounds like they're worth it.

Will try to this evening.

Rmcpeak
03-28-2017, 19:23
I'm making the same move. Got about 400 miles out of my 2.5s (had to glue the toe bumpers a lot) -- not a single blister. I've only walked around the neighborhood in the 3.0s but they seem good. The toe box looks narrower to me, but I think it feels the same. So far so good.

la.lindsey
03-28-2017, 20:15
Thanks for the pic, gambit. Does the side look goofy? I definitely like the top better on the men's, at least. The fabric looks more sturdy too. I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

That's seriously the only thing holding me back right now. I can't decide what color would minimize the stupidity of those dumb mountains.

left52side
03-28-2017, 20:21
I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

That's seriously the only thing holding me back right now. I can't decide what color would minimize the stupidity of those dumb mountains.

I dont really care for them at all either lol,,,
I have not tried the LP 3 yet ,I am fond of mu superiors though.

la.lindsey
03-28-2017, 20:30
I dont really care for them at all either lol,,,
I have not tried the LP 3 yet ,I am fond of mu superiors though.

Those look slick. How do they compare to the LP? Have you tried both?

Gambit McCrae
03-29-2017, 08:02
Thanks for the pic, gambit. Does the side look goofy? I definitely like the top better on the men's, at least. The fabric looks more sturdy too. I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

I honestly haven't even noticed the graphics on the sides in person. After all the problems I started getting out of the Speedcross 3s after last July, I wouldn't care if they had pom poms on the toes! lol

As others said, the toe box looks smaller, but I think it feels the same. I had a busy day yesterday, will try to get a comparison pic as soon as I can however, the pic I would take will look pretty much identical to the pic in the opening post. That is a comparison of the 2.5 & 3.0

left52side
03-29-2017, 10:38
Those look slick. How do they compare to the LP? Have you tried both?
The lone peak seem to have A bit more padding in them than the superior,but myself like the feel of A minimalist type show,not that the superiors are minimalist but they just dont have as much cushion , If I could find some more LP 2s I would jump on them though,loved them shoes.

JC13
03-29-2017, 13:35
Superior has the least cushion, LP's are the mid-range and max cushion are the Olympus if I remember correctly. Apparently they have a new shoe called the King that is light cushioning like the Superior now as well.

From the Altra website.(I was hoping for a measurement...)

Light Cushioning:

For more experienced athletes or runners who want a fast, lightweight performance shoe.

Moderate Cushioning:

The go-to for runners looking to protect their feet, improve form and reduce impact over long distances.

Max Cushioning:

Our highest cushioning available provides lightweight, max protection for any terrain–without disrupting form.

Just Bill
03-30-2017, 09:38
Superior has the least cushion, LP's are the mid-range and max cushion are the Olympus if I remember correctly. Apparently they have a new shoe called the King that is light cushioning like the Superior now as well.

From the Altra website.(I was hoping for a measurement...)

Light Cushioning:

For more experienced athletes or runners who want a fast, lightweight performance shoe.

Moderate Cushioning:

The go-to for runners looking to protect their feet, improve form and reduce impact over long distances.

Max Cushioning:

Our highest cushioning available provides lightweight, max protection for any terrain–without disrupting form.

You've got that right- the measurement you're looking for is "stack height".

I woulda thought you guys would be all fired up about that King MT?

The idea from what I understand is a newer combination rubber that gives you a Lone Peak type feel but a superior type tread and stack...
The King is 19mm
The Superior is 21mm
The LP is 25mm

My only thought is that the King may be a bit too aggressive of a tread for most areas; though it might really shine in the northeast or foothills. It's supposed to be a bit grippier rubber too.
For me the superior is a bit too aggressive when stuck on most of my local stuff (pretty flat and hardpacked) so it can feel like walking around in cleats at times since I'm not biting into the soil at all. I like the Torin or similar road Altra for these trails and the LP if I need a bit more traction.

Seems like a hybrid for those who are swapping between the trail styles or at the very least a solid choice for the Long Trail type terrain.

But I've got at least two 2.5's stored away and I am unlikely to burn them up pushing the presser foot on the sewing machine anytime soon, lol.

changed
03-30-2017, 10:12
I never wore any earlier iterations, but I switched from Salomon SpeedCross 3's to LP 3.0 and am really enjoying them. They seem broken in after just a few miles or minor trails and road walks, and have had little to complain about, with and without the included insole. Doesn't hurt that I found them on sale for $75 last week!

Gambit McCrae
03-31-2017, 07:17

Not my picture but same color as mine, looks are the same. I noticed when I put them on this morning I actually had to search for the mountains, as they are not on the inside of the shoe, and they seem to be quite smaller then the marketing material you see online. I would say after some dirt and use, they are very easily overlooked by your fellow hikers and IG'ers :bse

Notable additions to the shoe:
Back pullup tab
The new badge on the tongue
Gator hook on the front
Bada$$ mountains are a big plus, really helps me on the big climbs

Wyoming
03-31-2017, 17:42
I can provide a preliminary LP 3.0 evaluation. Preliminary as I only have about 200 miles on my first pair, but over 100 of it was a very rugged Grand Canyon hike.

For reference I have switched to the LP 3.0 from the Vasque Breeze low top which was my standard shoe for the previous 12,000 miles or so. All grades are in comparison to the Breeze which is one of the best hiking shoes ever made (imho) in terms of quality and performance.

Weight: the LP 3.0 weighs 4.3 oz per shoe less (size 11's) so this is a meaningful difference.

Foot support in the lateral directions (side slope walking) the LP is poor at best and you will have trouble holding position due to the shoes softness and being so flexible.

Rock protection from the sides: poor at best. The type of rocks you get in PA on the AT will hurt your feet by pushing in hard on the sides.

Rock protection from the bottom: I replaced the inserts with green Superfeet. Medium performance even then. If you are walking on the small marble rocks and 2-5 inch sharp rocks common here in AZ then your feet are going to get poked hard and they are going to hurt. But not to the point the shoe is not worth walking in. After 105 miles in the Grand Canyon my left foot was bruised and hurting some and stepping on the sharp rocks was not comfortable. But AZ has easily the worst rocks I have ever seen and thus this is worst case.

Durability: too soon to tell for sure but some obvious wear on the sides from rocks and the rubber toe protector on both shoes is coming loose and I will have to reglue them. The tread after 200 miles is not bad considering our really bad rocks out here. Expected life cannot be more than 400 miles out here and maybe 350. This would match Anish's experiences on the AZT where she said she needed to be in her 3rd pair of Altra's at the end of the 800 mile trail.

Traction: excellent. One of the best shoes I have seen.

Toe box is a little big for me and I have wide feet.

Blisters: Not even a hint of a blister.

Zero drop: BE CAREFUL. If you have never worn these break yourself in SLOWLY. Your body has to adapt and your tendons need to have time to lengthen. If you don't do this there is a good chance you will hurt yourself. I was careful and had some soreness in the achilles and calf's.

Walking mechanics: I like. But I have always been a soft footed walker and these shoes seem to fit that well. If you are a person who puts their heels down hard they might not work for you since they have no heels to speak of - they are running shoes after all and not really designed for walking so you need to walk more like a runner in terms of mechanics (which is what you should be doing in any case).

Overall: the shoe is soft and sort of naturally sloppy..but very comfortable - as long as you avoid stepping on really sharp rocks. It is light and provides minimal protection and wearing this shoe over a real hiking shoe would by definition raise your chance of injury by a significant factor. It seems like it will be of medium durability at 350-500 miles before the inner shoe is broke down or the tread gone - all terrain dependent - so it will wear about 1/2 as long as a top of the line walking shoe and therefore cost about 2 times as much per mile to own. Its lightness will naturally result in fresher legs and somewhat faster daily averages and slightly longer miles - providing you don't hurt your feet.

saltysack
04-01-2017, 17:22
I'm done with the LP 3.0 going back to LaSportiva wildcats...2nd new pair on 3.0 toe rubber pulling of on first hike both pair....junk

saltysack
04-03-2017, 10:33
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/cc3b8db657c4581817ca6a108a1d2949.jpg

Brand new after one day of use on Va AT....not for me as is second new pair had do this one first day of use.....disclaimer I do kick rocks...[emoji51]. Altra CS recommended return to REI...I hate always returning to rei as I would rather mfg deal with issue...o well back to LaSportiva wildcats...

Dogwood
04-03-2017, 14:10
Salty, how long have you been using the Altras? If it's been some time your forefoot might have splayed a bit. Going back to a narrower or sharper pointed toe box shape as in the Wildcats may cause you issues. This has happened to me. In size 14 Altra and Keens with their exceptionally wide toe box models I can't go back to hiking shoes such as trail runners in size 14 in anything else. For walking around casually in daily life the narrower trail runners are OK but not for 3 or more days backpacking. If your feet haven't splayed yet you might still want to size wider or larger length in the Wildcats or go to thinner socks or use thinner after market footbeds in your new Wildcats. .

saltysack
04-03-2017, 14:47
Salty, how long have you been using the Altras? If it's been some time your forefoot might have splayed a bit. Going back to a narrower or sharper pointed toe box shape as in the Wildcats may cause you issues. This has happened to me. In size 14 Altra and Keens with their exceptionally wide toe box models I can't go back to hiking shoes such as trail runners in size 14 in anything else. For walking around casually in daily life the narrower trail runners are OK but not for 3 or more days backpacking. If your feet haven't splayed yet you might still want to size wider or larger length in the Wildcats or go to thinner socks or use thinner after market footbeds in your new Wildcats. .

Wish I saw this an hour sooner as I just left REI to return LP....I grabbed the old stand by wildcats in 47....I got home threw in my super feet green and DT socks...they do feel much narrower than I remember prior to the Altra.....I've only used the Altra since this past sept just before collegiate loop hike...Altra support line recommended I try the Olympus but after looking, the toe guard seems it's similar to the LP 3.0.... I guess I'm clumsy as I do trip on the occasional rock which seems to ruin the LP in under 20 miles....both pair I've had did exact same thing in day one...thoughts?

Gambit McCrae
04-03-2017, 15:46
Wish I saw this an hour sooner as I just left REI to return LP....I grabbed the old stand by wildcats in 47....I got home threw in my super feet green and DT socks...they do feel much narrower than I remember prior to the Altra.....I've only used the Altra since this past sept just before collegiate loop hike...Altra support line recommended I try the Olympus but after looking, the toe guard seems it's similar to the LP 3.0.... I guess I'm clumsy as I do trip on the occasional rock which seems to ruin the LP in under 20 miles....both pair I've had did exact same thing in day one...thoughts?

Salty,
Just curious - Is the toe tab coming loose a superficial concern or do you bang your toes that much? my Lp 2.5 toe tabs "wilted" after first hike and now (now moved on to 3.o which this has not happened what so ever yet still use my 2.5s) have wilted down as low as to where the sole glues on. I did not feel like it was anything more then a cosmetic snafu. I however don't go to kickin rocks till about mm 20 for the day so the toe tab is hardly used for me.

saltysack
04-03-2017, 16:06
Salty,
Just curious - Is the toe tab coming loose a superficial concern or do you bang your toes that much? my Lp 2.5 toe tabs "wilted" after first hike and now (now moved on to 3.o which this has not happened what so ever yet still use my 2.5s) have wilted down as low as to where the sole glues on. I did not feel like it was anything more then a cosmetic snafu. I however don't go to kickin rocks till about mm 20 for the day so the toe tab is hardly used for me.

Having it separate after day one isn't acceptable to me...the more it separates leads to more issues. After 160 miles in Colorado mine was peeled back enough too where it flopped when I walked....I do trip and kick rocks several times per day so I'd say I'm tough on shoes but haven't had this issue with other brands. Think I'm going to give the Olympus 2.0 a shot as the Wildcats now feel too tight on my feet.....

saltysack
04-04-2017, 15:38
Olympus 2.5 due out this month and LP 3.5 in June......supposedly more durable per Altra...

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 15:48
If the Altras fit you're feet are serving you well with the biggest gripe the delaminating toe bumper clean the grime off and Shoo Goo or McNetts Seam Grip it. IMHO, better taking that approach than switching to a new brand and different model in some distinctly different ways.

saltysack
04-04-2017, 16:02
If the Altras fit you're feet are serving you well with the biggest gripe the delaminating toe bumper clean the grime off and Shoo Goo or McNetts Seam Grip it. IMHO, better taking that approach than switching to a new brand and different model in some distinctly different ways.

That's what the plan is....just returned the new wildcats. Trying out Olympus then will get another pair of LP3.5.....good use of dividends.....$300 in shoes....

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 18:47
Was that one day of use a NY City Marathon? :D

Dogwood
04-04-2017, 18:59
With JB's run down on stack heights and cushioning specs I'm surprised there isn't more pre release interest from backpackers and hikers for the Altra Timps trail runners.

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/gear/rs/altra-timp-first-look/

I'm looking forward to checking out going from a 36 mm stack of the max cush Olympus 2.0 to the 29 mm mid cush of the Timps with the WR upper. The Timps should be cushier than the LP's 'better' for longer distances.

saltysack
04-04-2017, 19:18
Was that one day of use a NY City Marathon? :D

The word marathon makes me queasy.....I hate running!

Rmcpeak
04-16-2017, 10:09
Following up: just did 55 miles in 2.5 days in my new LP 3.0s. No problems with feet. No blisters. In this regard just as good as 2.5s. The toe bumpers are peeling a little bit. I'll superglue them like I did with the 2.5s.

saltysack
04-16-2017, 12:02
Following up: just did 55 miles in 2.5 days in my new LP 3.0s. No problems with feet. No blisters. In this regard just as good as 2.5s. The toe bumpers are peeling a little bit. I'll superglue them like I did with the 2.5s.

Yea it's obviously a common problem and hopefully they addressed it in the new 3.5 due out in June....I'm not going to get out before then so I might wait or try the new Olympus due out this month.... I did just buy the Altra torin for use at the gym very comfortable but the wife hates them!![emoji16]

la.lindsey
04-16-2017, 12:04
Yea it's obviously a common problem and hopefully they addressed it in the new 3.5 due out in June....I'm not going to get out before then so I might wait or try the new Olympus due out this month.... I did just buy the Altra torin for use at the gym very comfortable but the wife hates them!![emoji16]

I'd love to hear what you think of the new Olympus, if you don't mind doing a follow-up.

saltysack
04-16-2017, 12:52
I'd love to hear what you think of the new Olympus, if you don't mind doing a follow-up.

Will do should be out in few weeks...

saltysack
04-17-2017, 11:30
Altra Olympus 2.5 now available @REI for preorder....

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:57
New Balance 659 hiking shores on clearance at Sierra Trading.

Jayne
04-25-2017, 11:28
Love my LP 3.0 EXCEPT for the toes - the glue job bonding the sole to the toe of the shoe s terrible and cheap. Both pairs started separating from the shoe after my first hike in them, which is really disappointing given the price of these thing! They should just come with a tube of ShoeGoo. I've been super impressed with the fit and function though. The zero drop takes some getting used to but I think my stride is vastly improved and more natural now. My feet have spread out a bit and feel a lot stronger and more stable. Most significantly though I used to be a big heal striker and had lots of knee problems. After a few months of regular use I now land on my mid foot and my knees are feeling better than they have in a decade at least.

imscotty
04-25-2017, 14:13
I am a month into my new 3.0 Lone Peaks with no issues for mostly around town use. They will be getting more trail use shortly. I think the construction is better than the 2.5's, I had toe glue failure on those pretty quickly. Supper comfortable as always.

My family calls my Altra's my 'Clown Shoes,' but I don't care. They are the only shoe I wear now, except for weddings and funerals.

Gambit McCrae
04-25-2017, 14:54
I am a month into my new 3.0 Lone Peaks with no issues for mostly around town use. They will be getting more trail use shortly. I think the construction is better than the 2.5's, I had toe glue failure on those pretty quickly. Supper comfortable as always.

My family calls my Altra's my 'Clown Shoes,' but I don't care. They are the only shoe I wear now, except for weddings and funerals.

Its ok Scotty, people are jelous of comfortable feet. I have a pair for the office, a pair for house work(my retired hiking pair), and my 3.0 lp's which are my new trail shoe. Have been very happy as well.