PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Fontana Dam

Longboysfan
03-03-2017, 16:25
I'll be going in two weeks.
Do I need a bear canister for this section?

Slo-go'en
03-03-2017, 16:49
No. These is one small section of trail which comprises Woods Hole and Blood Mt shelter where one is required, but that section is easy to avoid. Camp at Lance creek and go directly to Neel gap from there the next day.

Gambit McCrae
03-03-2017, 18:25
No. These is one small section of trail which comprises Woods Hole and Blood Mt shelter where one is required, but that section is easy to avoid. Camp at Lance creek and go directly to Neel gap from there the next day.

Blood Mountain is just south of Neels. If he is starting at neels to go to Fontana, I think he bypasses the 7 mile stretch in GA that requires it all together.

glenlawson
03-04-2017, 15:37
You are starting just north of the section where a canister is required. If you camp near Chattahoochee Gap, you should take good precautions (hang anything that has come in contact with food or trash) due to a private campground that doesn't manage their garbage well.

For the rest of this section, you should focus on mouse and skunk protection. Mice will chew through anything to get to a snickers bar. Hang it out of their reach.

Whack-a-mole
03-06-2017, 20:04
This is true but also folly. My buddy and I put his food bag in mine, and hung it with 550 cord using the pct method. A mouse went down the cord, chewed a hole through my bag, and through his bag and got into a bunch of his food. Ruined two pretty nice waterproof bags. Now when I'm in a shelter, I don't want to hear any whining from anyone about my mouse traps ......

JC13
03-07-2017, 10:13
This is true but also folly. My buddy and I put his food bag in mine, and hung it with 550 cord using the pct method. A mouse went down the cord, chewed a hole through my bag, and through his bag and got into a bunch of his food. Ruined two pretty nice waterproof bags. Now when I'm in a shelter, I don't want to hear any whining from anyone about my mouse traps ......Tell them you are helping prevent the spread of Lyme disease.

Longboysfan
03-07-2017, 15:01
This is true but also folly. My buddy and I put his food bag in mine, and hung it with 550 cord using the pct method. A mouse went down the cord, chewed a hole through my bag, and through his bag and got into a bunch of his food. Ruined two pretty nice waterproof bags. Now when I'm in a shelter, I don't want to hear any whining from anyone about my mouse traps ......

I had some I left out last time in shelters we stayed in.
You would think the mice were on the endangered species list.

Longboysfan
03-07-2017, 15:21
I am practice hiking with 14 - 16.85 OZ bottles of water in my pack - plus a few other things like med kit and water in my platypus.
Looks like I'm only carrying about 30 lbs.

Have to up the weight this weekend on last practice hike before jumping off on March 19th.

Longboysfan
03-09-2017, 10:12
off route 75 or 76 in Georgia.
Is there a re-supply close to the AT crossing? Like not going into Hiawassee.
I think I read about one somewhere.

JC13
03-09-2017, 10:59
76 is Dick's Creek Gap if I remember right, you could do a resupply at ToG if you were adamant about avoiding Hiawassee.

Longboysfan
03-09-2017, 14:17
76 is Dick's Creek Gap if I remember right, you could do a resupply at ToG if you were adamant about avoiding Hiawassee.

Thank you.