PDA

View Full Version : myths vs. facts

dch472
03-03-2017, 17:36
hello I am planning a through hike for the end of this month I am a novice hiker looking for seasoned hikers advice on anything from bear bags to Q-tips. thanks

Maineiac64
03-03-2017, 17:42
Go very light.

Sarcasm the elf
03-03-2017, 17:49
Go very light.

But not too light.

(That's not contradictory)

Deadeye
03-03-2017, 18:18
get your self together on some week and weekend hikes - a through is just a bunch of those strung together.

mountain squid
03-03-2017, 18:19
Welcome to WB!

You might need to be more specific. But in the mean time, you can check out a couple of my older threads:

some observations (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=) - observations of hikers during the first day at Springer Mountain with in-general tips

how to hike (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) - an interesting thread with links to other threads with wide ranging topics

Otherwise, I would suggest to start slow with low mileage days and to keep your weight to approx 30 pounds.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

twitter (https://twitter.com/mountainsquid04)

Slo-go'en
03-03-2017, 18:20
Go to Amazon and down load this book "How to hike the A.T." "The nitty-gritty details of a long-distance Trek" by Michelle Ray. It will answer every question you have and many you didn't think to ask.

Then order the AT White Pages or the AWOL AT guide book. Download the Guthook AT guide. Spend about $1800 on gear if you haven't done so already.

MisterQ
03-03-2017, 18:20
Practice sleeping outside on your sleep system and make adjustments to make sure it is comfortable for you before you go.

Also, do not stick Q-Tips into your ear canal. It says so right on the instructions.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2017, 19:15
it's just walkin'

FreeGoldRush
03-03-2017, 19:19
Please record daily videos of your progress and put them on YouTube for us to see. The next best thing to hiking is watching others who are thru hiking.

Engine
03-04-2017, 20:42
Start out slower than you think you need to! Tonight we are hanging out at the Budget Inn in Hiawassee and it's a sea of limping hikers. You could make a small fortune selling knee braces.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
03-04-2017, 20:52
AWOL's guide.

Pack lighter. No, lighter than that.

Find the re-supply mileage article here on WhiteBlaze and adapt it to YOUR hiking ability.

Cheyou
03-04-2017, 20:54
Start out slower than you think you need to! Tonight we are hanging out at the Budget Inn in Hiawassee and it's a sea of limping hikers. You could make a small fortune selling knee braces.

Ben-Gey to the rescue . You could make a fortune

thom

Engine
03-04-2017, 20:56
Ben-Gey to the rescue . You could make a fortune

thom
And it would have the added benefit of improving the smell of many. 😎

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 22:09
Make sure to use UL Q tips to lighten the load. Jersy gave you away. mee sensis a hikin wit da doggies numbed Gertrude and Stein?

RockDoc
03-04-2017, 23:19
become a hiker before you hit the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
03-05-2017, 00:53
hello I am planning a through hike for the end of this month I am a novice hiker looking for seasoned hikers advice on anything from bear bags to Q-tips. thanks

get your self together on some week and weekend hikes - a through is just a bunch of those strung together.

become a hiker before you hit the trail.

Practice sleeping outside on your sleep system and make adjustments to make sure it is comfortable for you before you go.

Also, do not stick Q-Tips into your ear canal. It says so right on the instructions.Take at minimum a couple of overnight/weekend hikes. Learn how to pitch your tent/shelter, cook on your stove, clean your cooking stuff AND yourself, break camp, etc. BEFORE you jump on a plane to Atlanta.

gracebowen
03-05-2017, 01:10
+1 on the overnight. I learned alot from my 1st overnight.

Traveler
03-05-2017, 07:47
Start with the left foot first, the right will follow so its not left behind.

AfterParty
03-05-2017, 08:35
Deffintly use your sleep system even if it is indoors and get used to it. Sleep is important. Eat trail food for a month, while walking.

Odd Man Out
03-05-2017, 14:31
Educate yourself about bears. However much of the advice you may find is myth not substantiated by science. Here are two great resources. The first is a lecture by Tom Smith (one of the foremost bear biologists). In the lecture he gives a lot of common sense advice based on years of bear research. He also dispels many myths (with a lot of humor and irreverence toward those who perpetrate the myths). The next links are pages from the North American Bear Center which provide sound advice and dispell myths based on decades of research.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/myths-a-misconceptions.html

https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans.html

Storm
03-06-2017, 11:40
Don't do it. You'll hooked for life. lol:)

Sarcasm the elf
03-06-2017, 11:54

CarlZ993
03-06-2017, 17:13
Lighter is better than heavier. Hiking poles help the joints. Be an early riser & get the miles in sooner. Don't hike too many miles in the beginning. Work into it. Make sure you & your stuff is protected from water. It will rain a lot. I protected my stuff w/ waterproof roll stuff sacks (bag & clothes), trash compactor pack liner, & pack cover. Nothing that needed to stay dry got wet. Your rain gear will suck. You can't hike in the rain & stay dry. Just embrace it & hike on. Carry less food & do more resupplies (see 1st sentence).

Check out my 2013 schedule in my signature line. It also shows my resupply locations along the way. I was an in-shape and an experienced backpacker (age 58 @ the start). I took it relatively easy in the beginning & gradually increased my distance as I got my trail legs.

Good luck.

Christoph
03-06-2017, 19:26
Set up your tent fully as fast and efficiently as you can, all gear inside ready to sleep, in pouring rain and stay the night. Get up, put on your wet socks and shoes and walk around for a few hours.
Pack your bag the same way every time. That way in the dark or if you need something quick, you know right where it is.
Know what to do in case of an emergency (for yourself or if you run across someone that needs help). Thinking basic first aid type stuff.
Learn how to eat. You'll be burning crazy calories.
There's a few off the top of my head.