PDA

View Full Version : Employment app

rocketsocks
03-04-2017, 08:15
Have you ever worried about quiting your job to go hiking?
The "don't worry, be happy" app lets you list the job you've quit by city so returning hikers to the work force can go back to work.
dontworrybehappy@yahoo

Bronk
03-04-2017, 13:05
I have found most employers are fascinated when I tell them that I walked 850 miles on the AT. That seems to cancel out any concerns over a gap in employment. But I do wonder if they would view it differently if I had quit my job and then gone hiking for just a few days or a few weeks before quitting. That might give an employer the impression that you are flighty and will quit your job on a whim to go on a short vacation. Even though I didn't complete a thruhike, 850 miles is farther than most people would even imagine walking.

Sarcasm the elf
03-04-2017, 13:13
Have you ever worried about quiting your job to go hiking?
The "don't worry, be happy" app lets you list the job you've quit by city so returning hikers to the work force can go back to work.
dontworrybehappy@yahoo

That's not an issue over here. My employer is eliminating my whole division. :p

Dogwood
03-04-2017, 14:42
Gaps in employment history don't have to be perceived by the job seeker, employee or the employer as a negative. Define the gaps positively and honestly relating how the experiences gained during the gaps make you a better employee candidate.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-explain-the-gap-in-your-resume-with-ease

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140623182203-368344-5-tips-for-how-to-explain-gaps-in-your-employment-history

rocketsocks
03-04-2017, 17:25
Well that sucks!

rocketsocks
03-04-2017, 17:26
I have found most employers are fascinated when I tell them that I walked 850 miles on the AT. That seems to cancel out any concerns over a gap in employment. But I do wonder if they would view it differently if I had quit my job and then gone hiking for just a few days or a few weeks before quitting. That might give an employer the impression that you are flighty and will quit your job on a whim to go on a short vacation. Even though I didn't complete a thruhike, 850 miles is farther than most people would even imagine walking.so basically it's 50/50

Traveler
03-05-2017, 08:14

Bah! I am sorry to hear that. Will you be able to move into another division?

Ba

Rain Man
03-06-2017, 09:36
My boss lets me go hike whenever I want, though my pocket-book sometimes disagrees. I'm self-employed.

My thru-hiker daughter (who took time off college to thru-hike) found it was a advantage to list her thru-hike on employment applications, along with her year in Argentina as a high-school exchange student. :)

Sarcasm the elf
03-06-2017, 11:51
Bah! I am sorry to hear that. Will you be able to move into another division?

Ba

No such luck, however I'm not terribly disappointed. I've been with the company for almost ten years and it has become clear which direction that going concern is going.

Dogwood
03-06-2017, 13:33
One doesn't necessarily have to quit a job to travel or hike. The two can be connected to be experienced simultaneously. I've worked from the trail several times on a laptop or when in town for a day or two at a quiet library's computer terminal while also connecting via emails and ph. I personally know of more than 30 who also are successful at it as they travel, backpack, adventure, and experience life without a job defining their lives. Want to meet these people? You'll find many at Tiny Home Developments and seminars and at sites like https://expertvagabond.com/paid-to-travel-world/ and https://www.riskology.co/blog/ Both these sites have helped many, including myself, to generate 'passive' income or hack income or reduce/eliminate common resource robbing activities.

I've organized my career as a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist(grower) not to have to be in an office, greenhouse, or in the field 50 wks a yr. Most of my work is not weekly salaried. It's project piece work. It's often building development projects lasting 3-8 months and growing contracts lasting 3-6 months. The gaps in work I can build in to enjoy life more although my work is my passion so it's not seen by me as toiling for a living. This invariably comes out while seeking employment. During the gaps I'm also doing consulting work even on backpacking, traveling, and adventure trips. I angle the gaps to honestly accentuate the positives though. When in an interview when I can relate personally to industry prominent designs, Botanical Garden visits, that usually take in seminars or symposiums, or in some other way demonstrate a lifelong intentionally directed commitment to advancing my career, but doing so on a different than usual track, said or unsaid experienced as I adventure, travel, or backpack. Taking into context I'm usually competing for more term projects, not long term FT employment, it adds to the employment interview not detract from it. It demonstrates I have mindfully directed a career and can multi task many things simultaneously.
None of this is occurring by happenstance. It's intentionally organized this way.

To combat any perceptions of flightiness I have a long list of networked industry associations that affirm qualitative successful on time completions of project goals.

Avoiding massive debt, wastefulness, materialism, hoarding, and rampant consumption, while proactively considering the impact of lifestyle decisions, instead of always responding to those decisions afterward, and questioning and redefining the American Dream play into the ability to live this path.

I get the question a lot, "how can you do these things, how can you afford to thru-hike?" Here's how. If you're not willing to change the way you approach life, the way you you've been patterned to think, you'll have issue after issue with a long string of complaints that include if's, and's, and but's about why you, and your family, can't achieve independence and a self directed life.