PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Ed Garvey shelter

Wesgoat
03-05-2017, 14:31
Will be starting on May 4th hiking from HF to Katahdin. Hiked from Springer to HF last year. Will be arriving in HF at 5:16 by train. Has anyone hopped off the train and starting hiking for Ed Garvey shelter? It seems doable. Sunset is around 8. How is the terrain? Looks like just one climb. This just occurred to me but I may stay in HF at one of the hostels also. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Also, I know about the Tea horse and the Towns Inn.....who has stayed at the HF hostel in Brunswick? Tell me about it.

tdoczi
03-05-2017, 14:34
easily done.

Slo-go'en
03-05-2017, 14:47
Shouldn't be a problem if your reasonably well rested. If your coming all the way from Florida on the train, you might not have gotten much sleep. I find it really hard to sleep on the train. Sleeping pills help. If your flying in, then that shouldn't be so much of an issue.

A couple of flat miles along the canal and then a short climb. The only problem is the water is 0.4 miles down a very steep hill, takes an hour for the round trip. So, if your arriving late at the shelter, you'd want to carry sufficient water from town. That and a full load of food might make for a heavy pack.

You really might want to consider staying at the Teahorse (highly recommend, I've been there twice now) then shot for the Rocky Run shelter or the Dahlgren Backpack campsite (where you can have pizza delivered) the next day. That could make for a long day, but once you climb up to the top of the ridge, it's pretty easy the rest of the way.

Cheyou
03-05-2017, 15:07
I did the train to HF then shelter for the night . Worked for me.

Thom

Cheyou
03-05-2017, 15:12
well it's train from D.C. then shuttle bus to HF . The Teahorse is very nice . Stayed last year before going home to clean up.
Thom

Kaptainkriz
03-05-2017, 15:40
3 miles of flat trainbed, 0.5 to the commuter lot on Weverton road, then about a mile up the hill (500' over 4 switchbacks). :) The cliffs are a quick .1 to the right at the top. Garvy 2.2 north. Water is 400' down the five depths of hell about .4 miles. You'll only eant to make that trip once.

RockDoc
03-05-2017, 15:53
The Weaverton Cliffs are only about 1000 ft climb in about one mile. Nice view as a reward at the top.
Other than that, smooth sailing to Garvey shelter.

Wesgoat
03-06-2017, 10:13
Hey guys.....thanks for the info. I am taking the train from FLA.....first time on train on long trip..... and have a 9 hour layover in DC. Gonna do some sightseeing so I probably will be tired by time I get to HF. The tea horse sounds good

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-06-2017, 10:27
Hey guys.....thanks for the info. I am taking the train from FLA.....first time on train on long trip..... and have a 9 hour layover in DC. Gonna do some sightseeing so I probably will be tired by time I get to HF. The tea horse sounds good

Yea, that's a similar deal to when I take the train down from Boston. Get to DC at some ungodly hour in the early morning and have to wait all day for the train to HF. The good thing is the train station is right at the top of the Mall near the capital building and you can do a nice loop down to the Lincoln Memorial and back, hitting all the important sites.

For $20 you can check your pack at the train station for the day if you don't want to carry it with you. The couple of times I've passed thru there I carried my pack around, but if you want to visit any of the museums you should check the pack. I'll be spending the day in DC again myself on the way to Springer mid April and will probably check my pack this time instead of lugging it around.

LIhikers
03-06-2017, 11:02
If you can add a few days to your trip you can hike from DC to Harper's Ferry on the C+O Canal Trail. It's flat and easy with designated camp sites, including water pumps and porta-potties about every 5 or 10 miles after the first 16 miles.