PDA

View Full Version : One Week - Where To Go on Southern AT

loguon_theguy
03-05-2017, 19:26
I will have a week this summer to do a hike, and I'm looking strictly in the stretch from Springer to Fontana. I've considered just doing all of Georgia, or going from Standing Indian to Fontana. Any other suggestions for the best possible week long trip in the Springer to Fontana section? Thanks.

soumodeler
03-05-2017, 19:34
A week on trail or a week total including travel time? Makes a difference.

Week on trail, do Dicks Creek Gap or Deep Gap to Fontana. Bester overall views, but more fire damage, although not really a concern.

Week total, do Amicalola or Springer to Unicoi.

Your ability to do x number of miles per day will influence where and how far you can go. Expect 10-12 MPD in GA if not in excellent shape and probably 12-14 in NC. YMMV.

loguon_theguy
03-05-2017, 19:38
I'll have a week on trail, thanks

Rain Man
03-06-2017, 09:29
If you can go back in the future, I'd start at the beginning (Amicalola or Springer) and hike north. Pick up later where you leave off.

If only one trip of a lifetime? Hmmmm. I think I'd finish at Fontana Dam. So, just figure your daily mileage average (depending totally on your experience and conditioning, but as a rule of thumb I'd figure 12 miles a day with the amount of daylight you'll have), and back up from there for a start. Might want to allow for a ZERO or NERO at Wesser, NC (aka "NOC") for a nice place to take a break.

But if I only had one trip? I'd do the Smokies. But you said "strictly" up to Fontana.

loguon_theguy
03-06-2017, 13:57
If you can go back in the future, I'd start at the beginning (Amicalola or Springer) and hike north. Pick up later where you leave off.

If only one trip of a lifetime? Hmmmm. I think I'd finish at Fontana Dam. So, just figure your daily mileage average (depending totally on your experience and conditioning, but as a rule of thumb I'd figure 12 miles a day with the amount of daylight you'll have), and back up from there for a start. Might want to allow for a ZERO or NERO at Wesser, NC (aka "NOC") for a nice place to take a break.

But if I only had one trip? I'd do the Smokies. But you said "strictly" up to Fontana.

I only cut it off at Fontana because I didn't want to deal with only sleeping at shelters and crowds. Hikers on the AT in the Smokies are required to stay at shelters, right? How are the crowds in the summer?

soumodeler
03-06-2017, 14:13
The Smokies can stay busy all year. You could have the shelter to yourself or have it full, it just depends. Personally I would do the Smokies as a section by themselves, which will take about a week to do.

bigcranky
03-06-2017, 15:17
Springer to Dick's Creek Gap is pretty easy logistically, especially if you stay at the Hiker Hostel and they shuttle you. Start at AFSP and do the Approach Trail to add a day if you like.

Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam makes a nice 6-day hike, with a night off at NOC in the middle. Good views from some balds and fire towers, and some solid climbs. Also pretty easy for a shuttle, and you can safely leave a car at the dam.