PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent double Rainbow or Light Heart Duo

Toolumpy
03-05-2017, 20:39
Any one use both and prefer one over the other? Those who have one or the other what are your likes and dislikes?

bigcranky
03-05-2017, 20:55
Had a Double Rainbow. Likes: well made and very storm worthy. Dislikes: only one, the total lack of headroom for two people due to the inward sloping long-side walls.

Replaced with a Lunar Duo. IMHO that should be on your short list, too, look here for reasons (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/).

bamboo bob
03-05-2017, 21:10
I think lightheart makes the best tents. I used Tarp Tents on the PCT and AT and since then sticking with lightheart. My wife AND I use the Solong six as a double and works fine. I'm 6'2 and 250.

Toolumpy
03-06-2017, 21:16
Thanks for your opinions.

Xycon
03-07-2017, 16:26
I would have gotten a lightheart gear solo if she still made them in Cuben, but unfortunately she is adamantly not making those anymore. I love the design of those tents, it sets up like an oldschool camper would.

blue indian
03-07-2017, 18:11
I would have gotten a lightheart gear solo if she still made them in Cuben, but unfortunately she is adamantly not making those anymore. I love the design of those tents, it sets up like an oldschool camper would.

Me too! I saw a dude with one about 4 years ago on the AT and I was jealous

blue indian
03-07-2017, 18:19
Timely thread. Im trying decide between the Lightheart gear duo and Zpacks duplex.

I recently (within the past 3 days) got to inspect both, going over them outside and in.

The duo has MUCH more room than the duplex. That thing is palatial! I really liked the interior space on the duo. Judy(who is a sweetheart btw) has put these carbon fiber "stays" in the corner of the bathtub floor that creates a very secure and liveable interior. But the duo is heavier, requires that middle piece to support the trekking poles, has a much larger footprint, and the silnylon will hold water.

The duplex requires no extra piece (I use trekking poles), wont retain water, and of course is lighter.

I will say that the duo felt and looked very solid. I think this was because of the carbon fiber stays in the corners of the bathtub floor. I was a little disappointed in the duplex in that regard.

Again, this is with no actual trail use with either tent. It was simply my observation after inspecting both tents

blue indian
03-07-2017, 18:21
The rainbow is nice for sure, but not much headroom to speak of and a much shorter bathtub style floor

Venchka
03-07-2017, 19:21
Timely thread. Im trying decide between the Lightheart gear duo and Zpacks duplex.

I recently (within the past 3 days) got to inspect both, going over them outside and in.

The duo has MUCH more room than the duplex. That thing is palatial! I really liked the interior space on the duo. Judy(who is a sweetheart btw) has put these carbon fiber "stays" in the corner of the bathtub floor that creates a very secure and liveable interior. But the duo is heavier, requires that middle piece to support the trekking poles, has a much larger footprint, and the silnylon will hold water.

The duplex requires no extra piece (I use trekking poles), wont retain water, and of course is lighter.

I will say that the duo felt and looked very solid. I think this was because of the carbon fiber stays in the corners of the bathtub floor. I was a little disappointed in the duplex in that regard.

Again, this is with no actual trail use with either tent. It was simply my observation after inspecting both tents

Question:
Given the cost difference between the Duplex and Duo, what other piece of gear could you buy that would further reduce your total load?
I'm about to buy a solo tent. The Solong 6 is on my list. I'm looking around at other gear that would reduce my weight and cost about the same as an Altaplex or similar priced ZPacks shelter. Thanks.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-07-2017, 19:26
We replaced our Lunar Duo with a Zpacks Triplex. Saved over a pound, got more interior room. We used a much small Hexamid Twin on the LT, so we had some experience with Zpacks tents and liked them. The Duplex would have been too small for us after the Lunar Duo -- it's narrower than the (tiny) Hex Twin.

blue indian
03-07-2017, 22:31
[QUOTE=Venchka;2133050]Question:
Given the cost difference between the Duplex and Duo, what other piece of gear could you buy that would further reduce your total load?
I'm about to buy a solo tent. The Solong 6 is on my list. I'm looking around at other gear that would reduce my weight and cost about the same as an Altaplex or similar priced ZPacks shelter. Thanks.
Wayne

For me, the 2 person tent (I have a solo set-up; this is for me + 1) is the last piece I need to really get my pack weight down. I do want to replace my rainshell. Im waiting to see what Z packs comes out with. I got a sneak peak at the new fabric at the ATKO but it sounds like they might only be making it in black and it will weight half oz or so more.

Xycon
03-08-2017, 22:13

I ended up going with the Zpacks Duplex after much debate and selling my MSR Hubba Hubba. I think that 45 inch wide is plenty of space for one person, and I could squeeze in another person if I really liked them (which likely would be the only time i'd share, hehe).