PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Trail advice

steelfly
03-06-2017, 16:45
Hi Folks,

I am looking to do the High Sierra Trail come on to the JMT to Bubbs Creek Trail, and then exit Roads End. I was hoping I could enter with friends for the first part of the semi-loop and then take a shuttle back to civilization. I have two questions: 1) has anyone done this? If so, how long did it take you and was your food situation?, 2) how was the shuttle back to Fresno/Visalia?

Thank you in advance. - Steelyfly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
03-06-2017, 17:29
Give your fitness level, likely acclimation to elevation, pack weight, and how much of the day you normally hike before stopping for a realistic answer. Otherwise, any answer you get will be a guess based on our answers to those questions.

I normally plan on a 15 mile day in the High Sierra and often exceed that when the terrain cooperates. Total pack weight is normally mid 20's or less (for anything less than 5 days), work a desk job, live at sea level but do a lot of my hiking at 5k-10k during the warmer months. I tend to hike most of the day with a few Long breaks.

The popular Rae Lakes loop from roads end isn't bad as the climbs aren't steep. Similarly is the High Sierra trail. At least I don't find them bad. Someone carrying 40+ pounds will feel different unless they are really fit and fully acclimated.

steelfly
03-06-2017, 21:34
Miner, good point.

I am very fit. My pack w/o food is pretty light, 20 lbs... I keep things to a minimum. Make my own meals. Use a osprey expos or ULA circuit, small Yama Mt bug net with Tarp, EE quilt, Neo xlite, you get the picture I have light equipment. I just wanted to touch base with someone who has done that specific loop. Thanks again.

Soggybottom
03-07-2017, 00:03
I did the High Sierra Trail from sequoia to Whitney. I started in Visalia at the Holiday Inn took the Shuttle. Next shuttle up to the start of the trail gets you up there late morning. I think it was about 10:30 when I started. It took me till evening to get to the ranger station and the last half mile is a bitch but I knocked it out so I didn't have to do it in the morning. The next day I camped just over Mt Stewart over the top of Precipice Lake in the valley. Next day I went to the Hot Springs and camped just past them on the Kern River. Next day was mostly uphill where the jmt and pct come in. I camped in the meadow just up the valley from guitar Lake just below Whitney. Next day I started at 7:30 sharp and ended at 8:30 at almost dark one mile above the parking lot on the Lone Pine side. I summited Whitney about 3:15. I planned on a week but the hiking was awesome. Anymore questions hit me up on FB. ATSoggy

MuddyWaters
03-07-2017, 06:05
Plan accordingly for high snow year
In 2011 people werent making it over kaweah pass until about third week of july
This yr could be later

Hikingjim
03-07-2017, 09:27
There is a shuttle from roads end? Didn't know that. I know there is one to crescent meadow to start/end the HST
Have you considered starting with friends at roads end, and then they could finish the rae lakes loop back to the car? (if you're driving there)
The the shuttle out from crescent meadows is easy/frequent.

I don't know if there is much of any option for resupply. The typical JMT resupply seems to be onion valley into independence, or there's "horse-provided supply services there" (near rae lakes). That isn't far from your route, but it is very close to the start or end of your hike

Haven't hiked there at all. Just planning for a hike in Sept and have looked at HST, rae lakes, etc, and ironed out some logistics for my hike

Your plan sounds good though. It beats the logistics of finishing at whitney portal and will be interested to see what other people add

Maui Rhino
03-08-2017, 01:50
My friend and I hiked that same route last July (Crescent Meadows to the JMT, then north over Forester Pass and exiting Roads End). It was his first LD hike.... I've previously completed the JMT SOBO. We planned on, and did, 9 days averaging approx 8-9mi a day. There are no resupply options, so we packed all food, and enjoyed fresh trout on 5 or 6 days. My friend lives in Cali, and his family has a biannual reunion at Grants Grove. We drove to SEKI the day before our hike, camped at Lodgepole campground, then started our hike the next day, leaving his truck at Crescent Meadows. At Roads End, my wife picked us up on a rental car, and drove us to the reunion at Grants Grove. The next day, we all went to CM to get his truck. I don't know if there's a shuttle at RE, but there's a lot of traffic, so it would be an easy hitch. From Grants Grove, Big Trees Transit has shuttles that can take you around the park, and even down to the airport in Fresno. I didn't take the shuttle, but did meet the shuttle driver at Fresno airport to retrieve my wallet, which I had left in the cabin at Grants Grove after checkout. He was some 20 minutes later than the posted shuttle time, and I got the impression that wasn't unusual.

If your friends aren't doing the whole hike, they would most likely end up doing an out-and-back, or exit at one of the other trailheads nearby to CM. Shuttles should still be fairly easy to get.

Maui Rhino
03-08-2017, 01:55
Forgot to add that fitting 9 days of food in a BV500 is impossible. Luckily there are bear boxes at most of the common campsites. We used them the first few days to store the extra food that didn't fit in our bear cans.

steelfly
03-09-2017, 01:13
There is a shuttle from roads end? Didn't know that. I know there is one to crescent meadow to start/end the HST
Have you considered starting with friends at roads end, and then they could finish the rae lakes loop back to the car? (if you're driving there)
The the shuttle out from crescent meadows is easy/frequent.

I don't know if there is much of any option for resupply. The typical JMT resupply seems to be onion valley into independence, or there's "horse-provided supply services there" (near rae lakes). That isn't far from your route, but it is very close to the start or end of your hike

Haven't hiked there at all. Just planning for a hike in Sept and have looked at HST, rae lakes, etc, and ironed out some logistics for my hike

Your plan sounds good though. It beats the logistics of finishing at whitney portal and will be interested to see what other people add

Thank you HikingJim. I figured I would hitch hike out of Roads End. I don't believe there is a shuttle from Roads End. I like your idea of starting in Rae's lakes and heading out. Sounds like I can store extra food in locker for the first 3 days... probably hang out if buddies go with.

steelfly
03-09-2017, 01:16
Forgot to add that fitting 9 days of food in a BV500 is impossible. Luckily there are bear boxes at most of the common campsites. We used them the first few days to store the extra food that didn't fit in our bear cans.

Great Info Maui Rhino, thank you! It is Much appreciated. I just emailed my permit in to Seki. Fingers crossed.

Dogwood
03-09-2017, 11:11
1) Did something similar with slightly greater trip mileage in LD backpacking condition but stopping early and starting late each day to fish in 8 days. I knew my route and had been on most of it previously. Trail was clear of snow. It was early fall. 2) Getting from one side of the Sierra to the other, east to west or vice versa, can take 1/2 a day if not more

In a BV 500 I can store 8-9 days pushing it. In a BV Solo 450 no problem with 6 days. Catch fish eating a few Brookies or Bows can supplement nourishment. If needing more food outside a can rest of the food is kept inside backpack in a OpSak and stuff sack and the pack never leaves me when this is done. Beyond 9-10 days I resupply by going out and coming back in.