PDA

View Full Version : 2 Person Quilt

Wuff
03-06-2017, 17:42
After years of backpacking solo - I'm married. Who has opinions on 2-person quilts vs. couples in their own respective bag? Any suggested quilts if I decide to try it out?

Best,

Frizz

colorado_rob
03-06-2017, 18:35
My wife and I bought the EE Accomplice 20 deg quilt a few months ago, and we love it; we've used it a few times already, getting ready to use it quite extensively starting in a couple days. Just a tad over 2 pounds weight, replaces two 1.5+ pound single bags, saving nearly a pound, but also allowing us to, er, cuddle at night, just like at home. We also bought a hyperlite duo pad, much better than two separate pads because there's not that darn gap. Here it is on sale:

http://www.exxpozed.com/exped-synmat-hyperlite-duo.html?s=679138&currency=USD&pup_e=1&pup_cid=17252&pup_id=16A-2991000860969&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1104001014037&utm_campaign=EXXPOZED+EN+-+Shopping+US+-+Brands&utm_content=EXXPOZED+EN+-+Shopping+US+-+Brands

Full disclosure: I think EE is a bit optimistic on their temp ratings, this 20 deg quilt is equivalent to maybe a pair of conservatively rated 25 degree bags.

Drum Man
03-06-2017, 18:44
My wife and I can't seem to be able to share sheets on a bed much less a quilt. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-06-2017, 20:23
We've been hiking together for more than twenty years, always with the individual sleeping bags. Occasionally we would zip them together and make a giant quilt, but the individual foot boxes and the hoods being on top made that suboptimal. And we always always had problems keeping two pads together -- lightweight pads are tapered and don't line up.

So last year we got a 2-person pad from Exped, insulated, 30 ounces, and easily the most comfortable pad I've used. This winter we got the EE Accomplice 2-person quilt. Originally ordered it in 30F rating, but sent it back to add down for a 20F rating, after comparing it to the bags we generally use and thinking about how we will use it. Haven't had it on the trail yet, but preliminary tests look good. We'll spend a week with it in April in GA, then 5 days in VA in early July. I think it'll make a big difference, especially in cold weather when she can't warm up a sleeping bag by herself.

The pad is about the same weight as the two it replaces, but the quilt weighs what my 3-season bag weighs, so we save the 2 pounds of her bag in our total shared weight. Add in the Zpacks tent replacing our Lunar Duo, and our total base is almost 4 pounds lighter and more comfortable too. :)

egilbe
03-06-2017, 21:25
I'm another who uses the EE Accomplice with the Exped Synmat Duo with his mate. We love it. 20* quilt and the Duo is a perfect combo for three season hiking. We probably have 30 nights in it now and no complaints.

JC13
03-07-2017, 09:26
About to purchase the EE Accomplice myself, 50* though as we only section the AT currently in July. I am torn on maybe getting a 40* though as we move farther north on the AT I am aware it can be colder even in the dead of summer. My wife sleeps cold and I sleep very hot. Will be using two separate pads but if that sucks too bad then I will get a Synmat Duo for 2018.

bigcranky
03-07-2017, 09:30
I think a 50F quilt would be useful only in the dead of summer in the South and the mid Atlantic states. In July in Vermont I had a 40F quilt and got pretty cold some nights; my wife had her 30F bag and was mostly comfortable. Lows got into the mid to high 40s a few nights, and otherwise were in the low 50s -- might be chilly for your wife with a 50F quilt.

Wuff
03-08-2017, 10:40
Wow lots of consensus around the EE Accomplice, thanks for the recs everyone.