PDA

View Full Version : Len Foote Hike Inn or other options.

lilgodwin
03-06-2017, 18:50
Didn't think anything of it til now, but I'm hitting the trailhead this Sunday and am looking at a hotel for the night before. Google Maps only pulled up a couple hotels about an hour away. Googling "springer mountain hiker hotel" revealed Len Foote. Seems a bit away from the trailhead.

Probably a dumb question with an obvious answer... But where am I looking at staying the night before? Is there not a lodge at the trailhead? Granted, I don't want to blow a bill the night before, so I definitely don't mind driving an hour in and hitting the trail at 9ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

soumodeler
03-06-2017, 18:58
Dahlonega has multiple hotels, less than 30 minutes away. The Amicalola Lodge is right there, and a little expensive, but not terribly so.

There is also a free shelter for thru hikers at the base of the falls at the park.

Gonecampn
03-06-2017, 20:26
I've been to Len Foote. You have to hike 5 miles on the approach trail to get to it. It's my understanding that there's no vechicle access for the public/hikers. Nice folks there and they had lemonade and cookies for hikers staying or passing through.

soumodeler
03-06-2017, 20:53
I've been to Len Foote. You have to hike 5 miles on the approach trail to get to it. It's my understanding that there's no vechicle access for the public/hikers. Nice folks there and they had lemonade and cookies for hikers staying or passing through.

Correct. You must walk in.

George
03-06-2017, 21:52
Correct. You must walk in.

otherwise it should be the "drive inn"

bigcranky
03-06-2017, 22:23
Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge, right at the start of the Approach Trail.

http://www.amicalolafallslodge.com/

johnspenn
03-06-2017, 22:26
You have to hike out to the Hike Inn.

It's a neat experience. Plus, you're that much closer to Springer the next morning.

gbolt
03-07-2017, 18:11
You have to hike out to the Hike Inn.

It's a neat experience. Plus, you're that much closer to Springer the next morning.

This is my plan with a friend driving me down; but he's not thru hiking. Was hoping to park his car at Amicolola and Hike the Approach Trail. Spend the night at the Hikers Inn. The next morning hike to Springer then to the Trail Head Parking Lot. Hoping he can get a shuttle back to his car and I can continue to Hawk Mtn Shelter or beyond for Day one. Is this possible? How far is the Hike to the Inn? How far from the Inn to Springer Mountain Trail Head? Any suggestions for a Shuttle Provider or just try to catch one dropping off and hope my buddy can catch the ride back?

PS Any one notice that Whiteblaze is Magic on the Net? You have a question and just like fate, a thread pops up that discusses it! Amazing.

FreeGoldRush
03-07-2017, 19:51
At the top of the falls you can either continue on the approach trail or take the Hike Inn trail. The Hike Inn trail from there is 4.5 miles to Hike Inn. When leaving Hike Inn the next day continue on the trail for 1 mile where you then rejoin the approach trail. This puts you at mile 5.3 on the approach trail. You will have added less than 1 mile to your total hike to Springer by taking the Hike Inn trail, so not a big deal regarding distance. This time of year the views from the Hike Inn trail are better than the same area on the approach trail.

It's also a nice 10.5 mile loop (Hike Inn and approach trail) that I have used for training hikes several times already.

Mockernut
03-07-2017, 23:12
The Len Foote is likely to be booked up and is not your cheapest option. Plenty of inexpensive hotels in Dahlonega and Dawsonville.

gbolt
03-08-2017, 20:03
The Len Foote is likely to be booked up and is not your cheapest option. Plenty of inexpensive hotels in Dahlonega and Dawsonville.

Len Foote is definitely not the cheapest option. The original plan was to stay at the Hiker Hostel, Drive to Amicolola to Hike the Approach to Springer, Shuttle back to the car and spend a second night at the Hostel. Then the next morning drive up to Springer for the official start and my buddy, providing the ride, could leave from there. My one fear is that many said the road to the Trail Head Parking was not made for normal Vehicles. If that is true, either my buddy doesn't see me off or we do the Len Foote Inn for that second night.

You may be correct about being booked as well, looking at the dreaded Mid March start. Appreciate the input. I still have a year or maybe two to figure it out...2018 or 19.

Mockernut
03-08-2017, 20:30
You can drive most any vehicle to the trailhead on USFS 42. The road up is fine as long as you know where you are going. Plenty of parking and even a Prius can make it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gbolt
03-09-2017, 19:38
You can drive most any vehicle to the trailhead on USFS 42. The road up is fine as long as you know where you are going. Plenty of parking and even a Prius can make it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is reassuring. One last question for everyone. If one hikes the approach trail (and may or may not spend time at Len Foote Inn), how would they get back to Amicalola Falls from the Trail Head? Does it matter if it's morning or late afternoon?

skater
03-09-2017, 19:46
Thanks, that is reassuring. One last question for everyone. If one hikes the approach trail (and may or may not spend time at Len Foote Inn), how would they get back to Amicalola Falls from the Trail Head? Does it matter if it's morning or late afternoon?

Yes, time of day makes a difference. If it's morning, I would just hike back. If it's evening, I would camp overnight, and hike back in the morning.

But you probably meant, how would you get back other than hiking, I guess.

gbolt
03-10-2017, 17:03
Yes, time of day makes a difference. If it's morning, I would just hike back. If it's evening, I would camp overnight, and hike back in the morning.

But you probably meant, how would you get back other than hiking, I guess.

Yes the second one! Lol. Other than hiking back down...how would one get back and does timing matter?