PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiker Bubble

2NewKnees
03-06-2017, 22:46
I'm starting to plan a hike during spring break April 14-April 23. I got a bunch of good suggestions for hiking around the Hot Springs area. That is what I'm thinking of planning now. Does anybody have an idea where the bubble typically is at this time of the spring? I know it varies quite a bit with start dates, but I'm hoping it won't be too packed with traffic that late April in NC. Or is that crazy?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2017, 22:49
that area will be packed with thru hikers during that time period

Slo-go'en
03-06-2017, 23:29
Yep, that will be pretty much the center of the bell curve. Everyone who started around mid March will be showing up about then in Hot Springs. It will be busy everywhere south of Virginia, but with lesser numbers around the end points, Springer and Damascus.

rafe
03-07-2017, 01:53
Ayup. Will be crowded with NOBOs. Smack on the bubble.

Peak Springer departure is mid-March. Most will take three or four weeks to get to Hot Springs. Maybe one out of three who started has dropped out by then.

Venchka
03-07-2017, 04:45
...throw the Spring Break Bubble on top of the regular bubble. That's a big bubble.
Wayne

MtDoraDave
03-07-2017, 08:08
The second week of April is when I plan to drive up and do a section north of the Smokies, through Hot Springs, as well. Spring break down here...
Unfortunately I have something I have to do Saturday and Sunday morning, so I won't start my hike until Monday - so the weekenders will be gone when I start... but it still won't be lonely out there.

map man
03-07-2017, 09:31
Yes, you will be in the midst of the NOBO thru-hikers.

full conditions
03-07-2017, 10:06
But. If you were to choose the Benton MacKaye Trail instead, you will find the same Southern Appalachian beauty minus the hoards.

2NewKnees
03-07-2017, 17:12
Great Idea! I'll check out the BMT!