By Phyllis Austin, Maine Environmental News (www.meepi.org). 1/24/06

Katahdin Lake is the sole remaining parcel outside Baxter State Park
that Gov. Percival P. Baxter intended for inclusion in his breathtaking
wilderness preserve. By July 1, this "crown jewel" of the lands along
the East Branch of the Penobscot River is expected to become part of the
park, removing the threat of development and further logging. Thus, a
new generation will have fulfilled the dream of Maine’s greatest
philanthropist.

To accomplish the ambitious goal, the.........

To read the story, go to http://www.meepi.org/files06/pa012406.htm

For all the latest environmental news in Maine visit
http://www.meepi.org

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2006, 15:44
Another story to add to yesterday's post:

Katahdin Lake tract to be preserved

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/2364157.shtml

Baxter State Park would grow larger -- and include a pristine lake conservationists have long wanted to protect -- under a land-purchase proposal to be unveiled today.
At a news conference this morning, Gov. John Baldacci and legislative leaders are expected to announce that The Trust for Public Land, a nonprofit conservation agency, is poised to buy 6,015 acres that include old-growth forest and Katahdin Lake.
"It's one of the most beautiful lakes in the state of Maine, and it offers a unique vantage of Mount Katahdin," Sam Hodder, a project manager with the Trust, said Tuesday.
"Katahdin is a landmark that everybody knows and loves, but the view from this angle is one that few people know."
The apparent land purchase results from three years of negotiations with Gardner Land Co., owner of the acreage. The property includes hiking trails and fishing spots in a region considered among the most beautiful in Maine. Under the deal, the Trust would purchase land, including parcels already owned by the state, then trade it for acreage bordering Baxter State Park. The deal also is dependent on a fundraising collaboration between the Trust and the Maine Department of Conservation.
(more at the link above)

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2006, 19:16
more news stories posted by meepi:

Maine Environmental News posted at http://www.meepi.org

(Last Update: Wednesday, January 25, 2006)

Deal Would Realize Percival Baxter's Dream of Adding Katahdin Lake to
Park (Phyllis Austin, Maine Environmental News, 1/24/06)

Baxter Park about to add lake, acreage (Lewiston Sun-Journal, 1/25/06)

Katahdin Lake tract protected (Kennebec Journal, 1/25/06)

Deal would preserve picturesque lake (Portland Press Herald, 1/25/06)

$14 M deal may expand Baxter park Land trust to buy 6,000 acres,
Katahdin Lake; funds sought (Bangor Daily News, 1/25/06)

raxafarian
01-29-2006, 10:20
is Gardner going to hold off cutting any more in the parcel until this is settled? I was up there in August....theres an entire new/improved logging road system in the area. You can drive to within 1/2 mile of the lake on the east side.

Below is a view of East Turner Mt from approx 2 miles northeast of Katahdin Lake. Note the 'superhighway' of a logging road. This new system starts north of Millinocket, crosses Katahdin Brook just east of Rocky Pond, cuts over to East Turner Mt, crosses Barnard Mt to Wassataquoik Stream, along with other sections. There are new bridges at two spots on Katahdin Brook.

Here's a bit more of a description of the area from my last visit: http://www.raxafarian.com/bushwack.html

I did have to laugh at the statement:
"In the agreement announced Tuesday, the Katahdin Lake property includes several leased camps, one of which dates back to the late 1800s and was visited by a young Theodore Roosevelt and other dignitaries. The state is expected to honor those leases, Tom Gardner said."

followed by:
"Incorporating the property into Baxter State Park will render it off-limits to hunters."

That's mostly how that camp stays is business and has done so since 1885. Honoring the lease while rendering it offlimits to hunting is a bit silly... they may as well void the lease now and tear down the historic structures. I don't know where they get 'several' from. There's only one I know of... Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps.

"Both McGowan and Tom Gardner said the land’s rugged terrain and climate make it less than ideal hunting ground."

Not many people go there, but the few that do would disagree.

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 11:33
Teej--

This is very interesting stuff; thanx for sending it along.

weary
01-29-2006, 12:14
....I did have to laugh at the statement:
"In the agreement announced Tuesday, the Katahdin Lake property includes several leased camps, one of which dates back to the late 1800s and was visited by a young Theodore Roosevelt and other dignitaries. The state is expected to honor those leases, Tom Gardner said."

followed by:
"Incorporating the property into Baxter State Park will render it off-limits to hunters."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]That's mostly how that camp stays is business and has done so since 1885. Honoring the lease while rendering it offlimits to hunting is a bit silly... they may as well void the lease now and tear down the historic structures. I don't know where they get 'several' from. There's only one I know of... Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps......

I believe the current leasee is Charles Fitzgerald. If so I suspect he welcomes the change. He has spent several million dollars of his own money in an effort to keep Baxter Park and the surrounding lands wild. Charles blew a million bucks a few years ago in an attempt to purchase the land south of Baxter that was later purchased by the Nature Conservancy. He put down a million dollar option and then was unable to raise the money needed to fulfill the commitment.

It's my guess that the camps will survive without hunters. The Little Lyford POnd Camps purchased by AMC are doing a brisk business, despite being closed during the major hunting seasons.

Weary

raxafarian
01-29-2006, 13:47
I believe the current leasee is Charles Fitzgerald. If so I suspect he welcomes the change. He has spent several million dollars of his own money in an effort to keep Baxter Park and the surrounding lands wild. Charles blew a million bucks a few years ago in an attempt to purchase the land south of Baxter that was later purchased by the Nature Conservancy. He put down a million dollar option and then was unable to raise the money needed to fulfill the commitment.

Yes... he is the owner of the camps. The Coopers (previous owners) manage it. His statement after the purchase: " Katahdin Lake camps will continue to be available for traditional public recreational uses, FitzGerald says. "I intend for the camps to remain remote and wild, just like they have been managed for many years" under the ownership of Al and Sue Cooper, he says. He praises the Coopers for their careful stewardship of the camps and says they will continue to provide the day-to-day management of the facilities in the near term."

It's my guess that the camps will survive without hunters. The Little Lyford POnd Camps purchased by AMC are doing a brisk business, despite being closed during the major hunting seasons.
I hope so...the camps are a part of history. Although... one difference is that you can drive to Little Lyford. The usual method to reach Katahdin Lake camps is to park at Avalanche Field in Baxter and walk the 3 or so miles. They used to come out with horses/mules to pack you in... not sure if that is still the case. Or take a float plane from Millinocket(yuck).

But why should they have to survive without hunters? Coexistance is possible, imo.

An earlier article about the purchase in 2003 (landowner at that time was Irving, now it's Gardner): http://www.meepi.org/files03/pa053003.htm

raxafarian
01-29-2006, 14:02
I'll go back to being the server admin now ;)

I just find that entire area to be a special place. Loaded with history. I first visited the camps in the summer of 1976. Family members have visited it since the 60's. I grew up listening to stories about Katahdin Lake. I was telling my father last night that I'm heading up to that area next weekend. He proceeded to tell me some 'snowshoeing in the woods' stories from his trips. I've talked to him in the past about my bushwacking trips north of the lake and he was in the same exact area 40 years ago. He went to Katahdin Lake every fall from the 60's into the '80's Heck...he was remembering where there was water/swamps/and other land features exactly where I had passed them. As he describes things, I'm looking at the topo maps thinking "how does he remember that". Pretty cool considering we lived 600 miles from there.

weary
01-29-2006, 16:35
....But why should they have to survive without hunters? Coexistance is possible, imo.
If the area becomes part of Baxter State Park it should comply with Gov. Baxter's wishes for his park. Too many compromises have been made already. Enough is enough. Every fudging of Baxter's dream of a "forever wild" park makes the next violation easier.

I believe Fitzgerald only has a seven year lease. I suspect the lack of hunting maybe the least of his worries. Two other private sporting camps in the park have been closed by the Park Authority over the years -- Kidney Pond and Daicey Pond.

I don't wish Fitzgerald any bad luck. He's been one of my land conservation heroes. But Baxter Park is too precious to be a victim to the desires of one leasee.

Weary www.matlt.org

raxafarian
01-29-2006, 19:30
we will have to agree to disagree :)

I have no problem with the rules and vision applied to the park when it was formed but as land is added to it I do not feel that it automatically needs to fall under the same rules instantly voiding how the land has been used for 100 years or more.

Another thought... as it is now, you have to work at visiting the area. How many people have heard of or visited Twin Ponds? North and East Turner Mountain? Rocky Pond? Katahdin Brook?

These places are what I consider "forever wild". As soon as trails (or more trails) are cut into these places that is lost.

I hope this parcel is obtained by the park no matter how they decide to handle the 'use'. That will at least stop more logging roads being cut in, along with some plan to sell Katahdin view lots on the west side of Barnard Mt.

TJ aka Teej
04-24-2006, 17:25
For all the latest environmental news in Maine visit
http://www.meepi.org

Now all we need is $11,500,000.00.
----
New law expands Maine wilderness park

from MaineToday.com April 24 2006
AUGUSTA, Maine — Seated before a bust of the original donor of Maine´s foremost wilderness preserve, Gov. John Baldacci on Monday signed a bill to authorize a land deal expanding Baxter State Park. The deal, which follows three years of planning and more than 100 hours of deliberations by a legislative committee, is designed to attach about 4,000 acres surrounding Katahdin Lake to Baxter State Park. Another 2,000 acres, where hunting and snowmobiling will be allowed, will be managed by the Maine Department of Conservation.
The wilderness park contains Mount Katahdin, the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.
"Katahdin Lake will be one of Baxter State Park´s most visited spots," Baldacci predicted as he sat in the shadow of the State House Hall of Flags monument to Gov. Percival Baxter.
Baxter served as the state´s chief executive from 1921 to 1924 and bought land for the park over a 30-year period, donating it to the state into the 1960s.
The Katahdin Lake parcel borders 7 miles of the eastern boundary of the park. The $14 million Katahdin Lake purchase involves no public money, but legislation was needed because it involves the transfer of state-managed lots to the logging company that´s selling the Katahdin Lake land.
The bill was the subject of lengthy negotiations among landowners, wilderness advocates, hunters, snowmobilers and state officials.
Officials said the transaction also could lead to conservation of 8,000 acres to the east of Katahdin Lake, including more than 6 miles of frontage on the west bank of Wassataquoik Stream and Barnard Mountain.
"This new law enables the Katahdin Lake project, a century-old conservation priority, to move forward with a remarkably strong endorsement from the Maine Legislature," said Sam Hodder of the Trust for Public Land, which has served as a partner with the state.
"Now the hard work of raising the necessary $11.5 million in private funds is what stands between us and the fulfillment of Gov. Baxter´s dream. With all of the awareness and support generated by the legislative process, I am confident that the people of Maine will rise to the challenge and help us to meet our goal," Hodder said.

plydem
06-16-2006, 15:06
The unfortunate thing about the deal (and the legislation recently signed to make it happen) is that it went hand-in-hand with another piece of legislation allowing vehicle access points and snowmobile crossings to be cut into the Allagash Wilderness Waterway region. I just read an article in Down East magazine about this yesterday. Here's the article - http://www.downeast.com/index.php/page/issues/id/347

Well, I guess you win some and you lose some.