PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Baltimore Jack

Ron Haven
03-08-2017, 05:10
One year ago I received a call from Jack who had been a friend of mine for years. He wanted to spend some time in Franklin volunteering and helping the North Bound Thru Hikers Class of 2016- About this time I picked Jack up in Hot Springs about midnight and was back at Budget Inn of Franklin (http://budgetinnoffranklin.com) about 2am. Bright and early, he was ready to go to Winding Stair, Rock, and Wallace Gaps and greet the hikers who were headed to Franklin..As we all laughed and had fun at the hostel we had no idea what was coming soon. May 4th Jack passes away at the Angel Memorial Hospital with a massive heart attack. Today in his honer and dedication to the trail, We have named the hostel,"Baltimore Jack's Place". (http://baltimorejacksplace.com) Please be a part and don't let his memory die. Stop in as you are passing through Franklin, NC. If you would like to stay, we offer bunks for only $20 and the 2nd night is only $15 for the same person. The Jack Tarlin Hoste (http://baltimorejacksplace.com)l is the nicest, cleanest hostel in Franklin also. We have a fully stocked outfitter on the premises along with a guest laundry room and free soap powder also. Wi-Fi - Computers, and a printer for the Smokies Permits. Also shuttles to and from 3 trail heads free for our guest and an evening shuttle to WalMart. Check our shuttle free shuttle 38502 schedule.. We have a comfortable bus and vans to ride in. We are centrally located within 3 blocks of over 30 restaurants, grocery stores, 2 breweries, pubs and clubs. We accept free mail drops for our guest and the post office is one block away.

Rain Man
03-08-2017, 10:14
Ron, thank you for doing that. Jack will surely be missed. Nice to have his name on the trail.

But let me ask as I'm perhaps confused, are there two places or one place with two names?

We have named the hostel,"Baltimore Jack's Place" .... "The Jack Tarlin Hostel" ....

Again, good for you! Good hostels and good hostel owners are one of the things that make the AT community as wonderful as it is.

Rain Man

Pringles
03-08-2017, 10:26
Very nice.

dzierzak
03-08-2017, 11:32
Ron, thank you for doing that. Jack will surely be missed. Nice to have his name on the trail.

But let me ask as I'm perhaps confused, are there two places or one place with two names?

Again, good for you! Good hostels and good hostel owners are one of the things that make the AT community as wonderful as it is.

Rain Man

Looks like both links go to the same place. "Baltimore Jack's Place"

Dogwood
03-08-2017, 12:05
That was nice of you to do for someone that impacted and supported the AT in such a memorable and self sacrificing way....you're doing the same thing. :banana

theory
03-08-2017, 22:56
I would love to check out this hostile but I didn't plan on staying at any but you never know. Sounds like a great place though.

Ron Haven
03-09-2017, 01:24
Same Place

AtWokman
03-10-2017, 18:49
nice Ron. jack sure would have loved a place named after him.

Real cool.
Awesome thing to do.

johnnybgood
03-10-2017, 22:29
A very classy move Ron. Jack would be deeply moved.

-Rush-
03-11-2017, 00:00
I'm gonna do some trail magic on my way up this year. I plan on stopping by, saying hello to you Ron, and checking out the hostel. Is Dave Watters still doing rebel shuttles from Winding Stair? I'd like to say Hi to him as well.

saltysack
03-11-2017, 11:19
Good call....Ron your a good man I'm sure BJ would be honored!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

middle to middle
03-11-2017, 12:48
Jack was a great guy to interchange with here. Discussing beer with him was fun.