PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping (bag)

Roaming Nomad
01-24-2006, 17:01
I am planing to start july 5th from maine and I don't really want to carry a 40` bag. So I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions? I was thinking of just sewing a full sized bed sheet to make a bag or spinnaker fabric together. Is there any other light weight fabric I should look into?

khaynie
01-24-2006, 18:33
I carried a Marmot Pounder. The weight is described in its namesake. There were a few nights in July while in NH which I was a little chilly, but it was perfect until Southern VA. HOpe that helps.

The Solemates
01-24-2006, 19:02
I am planing to start july 5th from maine and I don't really want to carry a 40` bag. So I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions? I was thinking of just sewing a full sized bed sheet to make a bag or spinnaker fabric together. Is there any other light weight fabric I should look into?

i think you will want some type of bag rather than just bed sheet materials. nights in the Whites can dip to freezing, not matter what time of year. i would go with a 45 deg bag and switch to perhaps a 30 deg bag in VA in Sept.

if you are set on it though, perhaps try a fleece liner, although some of those are not really that lightweight.

vipahman
01-24-2006, 19:24
WM Highlite weighs 1 lb and is good for those dips in weather as long as you bundle up. Costs $230.

Ridge
01-24-2006, 19:30
You better do a lot more research! I wouldn't travel any time of the year above 4000' without at least a 20deg synthetic sleeping bag. Bed sheet???

vipahman
01-24-2006, 19:36
I bundled up in my WM Highlite at 40 degrees and had no problems. Of course, this was at 1000' in the rain. But Ridge is right, a 20 degree bag is better insurance.

peter_pan
01-25-2006, 10:46

Watch for a 14-15 oz 800 pf wearable down quilt, 45 degree range, availability expected in the next 10-14 days.

Pan