PDA

View Full Version : Best Hostels in VT?

Tally_Hiker
03-08-2017, 12:00
I'll be beginning the Long Trail - NOBO - in early June. I plan on my first stop at a hostel to be the Green Mountain House.

What are some other hostel or hostel-like accommodations that I should look for?

Thanks.

Deacon
03-08-2017, 12:10
I'll just add that the Green Mountain House Hostel is the cleanest, friendliest, and most well run hostel, not only in Vermont but among the best on the entire AT.

Jeff doesn't let any detail fall into disrepair, and makes sure everything is resupplied or cleaned for the next guests.

soilman
03-08-2017, 12:35
I agree with Deacon.

Old Hiker
03-08-2017, 14:31
If you START with GMH, forget any others for the most part.

One of the nicest.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2017, 16:58
The GMC is about the only one, unless you count the Six Tribes place in Rutland, but I like the Inn at the Long Trial which runs $50.

Once past Rutland and the Maine junction, your only option are motels and B+B's. B+B's can get pricy. Nye's in Jefferson is nice, ~$75 when I stayed there a few years ago. I dropped $130 at a B+B in Waitsfield, but $50 of that was on a really good dinner and drinks. If you go during leaf peeping season, the prices go up even more, especially on the weekends. If you can find a vacancy to begin with.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2017, 17:02
Just noticed you say early June. The GMH opens in June, but you'll want to check out exactly when in June.

Southerner
03-08-2017, 17:16
On my LT end-to-end last year, I stayed at Green Mountain House, the Twelve Tribes / Yellow Deli hiker hostel in Rutland, the Hyde-Away Inn in Waitesville, Nye's B&B in Johnson, and then the Crossings in Richford at the end. Green Mountain House is an exceptional place as stated above. It was my favorite of my LT trip and of my 2012 AT through-hike. Jeff runs a tight ship. The Twelve Tribes hostel is more of what you think of as a typical hostel, and a large one at that. There are definite religious underpinnings, but the people are extremely friendly and hospitable. Many of the inns and B&Bs have hiker rates and/or special rooms. The Hyde-Away, for instance, has rooms above the bar for lower rates (but you run the risk of a loud bar crowd and share a bathroom). If you go at it alone, I would expect to pay at least $100 per night in the summer, but most of them will let you split the bill if you can team up with another hiker. Another cool option that is often unknown or overlooked is that some of the ski resorts allow hikers to use their warming huts as shelters. Star's Nest is probably the nicest with a gorgeous view from their ski terminal.

Southerner
03-08-2017, 17:17
I meant Stark's Nest above**

rafe
03-08-2017, 20:22
Dan Quinn's place near Pomfret? Is he still in business?

Tally_Hiker
03-09-2017, 09:47
Great info. Thanks.

On my LT end-to-end last year, I stayed at Green Mountain House, the Twelve Tribes / Yellow Deli hiker hostel in Rutland, the Hyde-Away Inn in Waitesville, Nye's B&B in Johnson, and then the Crossings in Richford at the end. Green Mountain House is an exceptional place as stated above. It was my favorite of my LT trip and of my 2012 AT through-hike. Jeff runs a tight ship. The Twelve Tribes hostel is more of what you think of as a typical hostel, and a large one at that. There are definite religious underpinnings, but the people are extremely friendly and hospitable. Many of the inns and B&Bs have hiker rates and/or special rooms. The Hyde-Away, for instance, has rooms above the bar for lower rates (but you run the risk of a loud bar crowd and share a bathroom). If you go at it alone, I would expect to pay at least $100 per night in the summer, but most of them will let you split the bill if you can team up with another hiker. Another cool option that is often unknown or overlooked is that some of the ski resorts allow hikers to use their warming huts as shelters. Star's Nest is probably the nicest with a gorgeous view from their ski terminal.

Tally_Hiker
03-09-2017, 09:48
They will be open for about a week when I come through. Thanks.

Just noticed you say early June. The GMH opens in June, but you'll want to check out exactly when in June.

Tally_Hiker
03-09-2017, 09:49
Did you call the ski resorts in advance, or just happen upon them?

I meant Stark's Nest above**

Slo-go'en
03-09-2017, 12:16
Did you call the ski resorts in advance, or just happen upon them?

They are located at the top of the ski lift and are left open so people don't break in. While they make a good emergency shelter or a place to get out of the weather for a bit, there is no water near by which make them a less then desirable destination. I think there are three of them all together. On top of Jay peak, you can get a meal, but you can't stay there.

ReTribe Hostel
06-02-2018, 21:37
A new hostel called ReTribe will be opening in July. It's only 1.1 miles from the Butler Lodge Trailhead off Mt Mansfield on the Long Trail. You are welcome to ship your packages to us, to do your laundry, to join us in meals or cook your own in our kitchen, to swim in our pond, borrow our bikes, join us in morning yoga/meditation or any community festivities if they are happening when you come. The link is https://www.retribe.org/hiker-hostel . Jane

somers515
06-03-2018, 07:03
I stayed at the Green Mountain House, the Long Trail Inn, the Hyde-Away Inn, Nye's B&B, and the North Troy Inn. I was happy with my stay at each place. It's a great trail - enjoy!