PDA

View Full Version : What Pack to Take?

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 12:59
Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

So who's carrying what? I know it's "just walking" but I'm curious what others are using and what size they are carrying?

the dude

JC13
03-08-2017, 13:07
For an 8-10 day section this July I will be carrying a Granite Gear Virga II. 19oz, 55 litre, sub 20 lb pack weight.

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 13:17
Those Granite Gear's do look nice and seem reasonably priced.

Cheyou
03-08-2017, 13:19
[QUOTE=the dude abides;2133211]Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

So who's carrying what? I know it's "just walking" but I'm curious what others are using and what size they are carrying?

the dude[/QUOTE

Size and type depend on the volume of your gear and it's base weight. If you know that you will get better answers.

thom

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 13:33
So far these are my core four that I'm taking...

I'm shooting for a sub 20lb base weight :)

Last calculation was 18.7 lb, some items have changed.

dwcoyote
03-08-2017, 14:03
Not thru hiking the AT for a couple more year but I am doing some shorter hikes (80-100 milers) and have been carrying the Granite Gear Lutsen 55 L for these. Love this pack and I am very impressed with the adjustable torso and waist system. If I was in the market for a new pack I would probably check out the just released Granite Gear Crown 2 that is a 60L pack. Looks like it is going to be a good one.

Old Hiker
03-08-2017, 14:30
So far these are my core four that I'm taking...

I'm shooting for a sub 20lb base weight :)

Last calculation was 18.7 lb, some items have changed.

Dude, that rug will really tie the shelter together.

I had an Osprey Volt 75. Touch large and heavy, but MUCH better than my JanSports. Up to 3 pounds lighter, pack alone.

The outside mesh pockets had holes in them 2189.1 miles and 7 months/4 days later, but I was happy with the fit and feel. I bought an extra just in case the first one failed, but it never did.

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 15:24
Dude, that rug will really tie the shelter together.

Thanks! Who needs one of those therm-a-whatever neoairs????

I tried on an Osprey Volt, had a hard time closing the zippers on the side pockets on the hip belts, figured that would be frustrating long term.

DW, that Lutsen looks nice, I saw a guy carrying one two weeks ago on a tune up over-nighter, but didn't get a chance to ask him how he liked it. We exchanged some conversation on the trail path but didn't notice his pack till he walked away.

That Crown 2 looks nice, seems like it has some nicer features than the Virga II JC uses, the Virga looks like a stripped down travel light, freeze at night pack. I need some comfort carrying that rug and all those bottles!

Sarcasm the elf
03-08-2017, 15:27
Haven't settled on which pack I should get, the one I have "apparently" is too heavy...

the dude

What kind of pack do you have and who says it's too heavy. More importantly what do you think of the pack that you already have, is it comfortable and does it work for you? Unless the person that claims it is too heavy is the same person that is carrying it, does their opinion really matter?

To answer your question, my current 3 season pack is a ULA Circuit and I'm very happy with it.

If you are planning a Northbound thru hike you can always start with your existing pack to see if it works for you.

Around mile 30 the trail passes directly through Mountain Crossings outfitters. If you decide by then that your pack isn't working, you can get fitted for and purchase a lighter pack while you are there.

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 15:42
What kind of pack do you have and who says it's too heavy. More importantly what do you think of the pack that you already have, is it comfortable and does it work for you? Unless the person that claims it is too heavy is the same person that is carrying it, does their opinion really matter?

According to the internet, (and I believe everything that's on the internet is true) my pack weighs in at 2 ounces shy of 6lbs. Not to mention, it is over 20 years old.

I'm hoping to find something in the 3lb range and thus free up 3 lbs so I can carry an extra "bottle or two of supplies"

It's comfortable for weekend trips, just looking to drop my base weight for a thru.

swjohnsey
03-08-2017, 17:02
I used a ULA Catalyst and then a Ohm 2.0. You will be much happier with a lighter load. ULA makes some really nice stuff designed for long distance hiking with great customer support. Buy American!

the dude abides
03-08-2017, 17:29
Buy American!

You sound like Walter!

gbolt
03-08-2017, 19:40
I used a 25 year old external frame pack for two years, while I adjusted and changed my gear with the thought of a Thru Hike. Best advise given to me was to purchase the pack last; after the final base weight and needed capacity is finalized. Once I got base weight under 20lbs and figured food/water adding another 10, I chose ULA for the reasons other post have mentioned above.

After researching and narrowing my models down to the Circuit and Ohm, I ended up choosing the ULA Ohm 2.0. Here is the box opening Video: http://youtu.be/A63ol2qU5kY if interested.

I would suggest the same advise. Use the pack you have (if possible), keep getting into the woods to figure out your other gear needs and purchase the pack that meets those needs last.

Christoph
03-08-2017, 20:14
I have a Kelte Santa fe 4000 pack that I modified quite a bit to shave weight off it, but still keep its integrity (what works for me). I think the stock weight is around 6 pounds but now weighs in at 2 even. That got me working on the rest of my gear, but that's another story. Haha

MuddyWaters
03-08-2017, 21:07

the dude

What makes you think its too heavy?

An average pack is fine for the average thru hiker. Light weight hikers have grown to be waaaayyyy overrepresented here.

Im all for UL, as Im pretty light, but when people are made to start to feel their gear isnt good enough, or isnt light enough...theres a problem. The vast majority of hikers are carrying average packs, and theyve been making it to Katahdin for years just fine. Only a couple years ago these conversations about pack weight were relegated to the UL forum........now its throughout the general.

I carry a very light pack..to hike moderately high mileage. 18-25 mpd, or occassionally more, almost every day I spend on trail. If I was starting an AT thru and moving at 10-12 with the herd, I wouldnt worry much about the pack. Easier to leave stuff behind than spend $300 to save 1-2 lb.

It might make it easier, but hike faster than others and youll will always be leaving people you meet behind.

AfterParty
03-08-2017, 22:37
I have a hyperlite mountain gear Southwest 3400 55l it weighs 2.1 I feel weight at 30# with the HMG. But will only push close to 30 with a big resupply and water. My base weight is right now at 18 lbs. It has one large main compartment 3 outside pockets of good size. The hip belt pockets are kinda narrow but ample. Its cuben fiber I opted for the thicker black version and its pretty bullet proof and 99% water proof. I use a poncho so I don't worry about a pack liner or rain cover. Its pretty good at distribution of the weight IMO. I don't have many miles with it yet I just got it after Christmas time but my first impressions are good and I would probably recommend it to a friend. I also have a mystery ranch glacier 70l I start to feel it at 40# I really like the way it is laid out I can put my hammock and tarp in the bottom sleeping bag compartment and it has 4 nice big pockets for everything but clothes and quilts. It weighs 4.8 it has no hip belt pockets its very water resistant but would need a pack cover or poncho. It is also bullet proof. I have not yet made up my mind which pack is for me I like things about both of them and there are things I'm not as fond of with both of them. For me it will come down to which one is more comfortable and user friendly. My base weight will be 20 or less either way which will keep me at a total pack weight less then 30.

rocketsocks
03-08-2017, 23:55
Unless your pack is like 8lbs...Just run whut cha brung

Venchka
03-09-2017, 00:05
Unless your pack is like 8lbs...Just run whut cha brung

I was hoping that someone with experience would tell me that it's okay for me to use my Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane at a svelte 6 pounds 12 ounces.
Thank goodness I have a 3 pound alternative.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the dude abides
03-09-2017, 00:19
I was hoping that someone with experience would tell me that it's okay for me to use my Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane at a svelte 6 pounds 12 ounces.

You might want to check out the Mystery Ranch Terraplane, if your looking for a lighter pack......:(

Feral Bill
03-09-2017, 01:40
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Terraplane is a fine pack if you need the capacity. I used mine when my kids were young, and when I led group trips. I still use it for big winter loads. It's so comfy you don't notice the weight at all, until you walk up hill.

Venchka
03-09-2017, 08:58
You might want to check out the Mystery Ranch Terraplane, if your looking for a lighter pack......:(
I have a Bozeman built Terraplane. With the carbon fiber ArcFlex frame. I'm good.
For lighter loads I use a frameless Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack. http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/jensen-packs/
Classics.
Wayne

Siestita
03-09-2017, 09:59
I've been doing short backpacking trips (3 days to 2 1/2 weeks) for 44 years, until very recently using vintage 5 to 6 pound external frame packs. I recently switched to a three pound ULA Catalyst, which I like. I appreciate having the weight savings while retaining the possibility of potentially carrying up to about 32 pounds, if necessary, in reasonable comfort. My base weights varies between 15 and 20 pounds depending upon factors such as the season and whether or not I'm going somewhere (California's Sierras for example) that has a bear canister requirement.

Deadeye
03-09-2017, 21:11
IMHO, comfort first, weight second. I like both of my Granite Gear packs (Latitude Vapor - out of production, and Crown VC 60), and my ULA Catalyst. The Granite Gear packs win the comfort prize.

Venchka
03-09-2017, 21:29
IMHO, comfort first, weight second. I like both of my Granite Gear packs (Latitude Vapor - out of production, and Crown VC 60), and my ULA Catalyst. The Granite Gear packs win the comfort prize.

Amen. If they fit don't change them.
I bought a Catalyst last summer. Nice pack. I liked it. Then I let my granddaughter talk me out of it. I'm too easy.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnspenn
03-09-2017, 21:42
My wife and I recently spent 3 days hiking on the AT (day hikes) mostly southbound, so we saw several NOBO (attempting) thru hikers.

I'd guesstimate that 80% of the hikers we saw were carrying Ospreys of one flavor or another, and of those probably 75% were carrying the Exos.

I'm wanting a ULA Circuit, personally, and if I'm lucky I'll get one for my birthday this month =)

rocketsocks
03-09-2017, 22:09
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI can't help but think back when 6lbs. 12oz. was common for pack weight.

MuddyWaters
03-09-2017, 22:51
If I carried a 5 lb pack I could still be UL.

So, is it really the pack thats the problem.......or what people put in it.?

Venchka
03-09-2017, 23:13
I can't help but think back when 6lbs. 12oz. was common for pack weight.
Ironically, I purchased the 3 pound Jensen in 1974 or 1975. I didn't purchase the Terraplane until 1994.
Go figure.
Wayne

Oventoasted
03-12-2017, 16:33
Zpacks Arc series of packs

eggymane
03-12-2017, 17:21

Definitely this. My pack is not considered light by today's standards, but I don't care. It's more comfortable than any pack I've ever had or tried.

That said, the new Arcteryx Bora AR looks enticing..

the dude abides
03-12-2017, 22:16
Okay, so I ordered the new GG Crown2 and scored a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 (2015 model) that has never been used. These two are .7 oz lighter than my old pack combined! :banana

Maineiac64
03-13-2017, 12:58
Zpacks Arc series of packs

^_------------this

ldsailor
03-13-2017, 17:58
I hiked a LASH last year with an Osprey Atmos 65. Ugh! Heavy! Sold it along with my Big Agnes sleeping bag "system" and bought a Zpack Arc Haul and Montbelle 30 degree sleeping bag. Those two items cut almost 4 pounds of weight. The Arc Haul is only 3 ounces more than the Zpack Arc Blast, but is supposedly tougher and has more capacity. I'm thinking cold weather gear, which can add volume to a pack, will necessitate the extra volume, and if I don't need the cold weather gear, I'll just send it home.

I'm still making adjustments to my other gear to bring the weight down before I leave in May to continue my NOBO AT hike. Go as light as you can.

CHILL_TX
03-15-2017, 22:16
Thought about getting an ultralight pack... BUT, I got to thinking about it. Most don't have much of a frame and therefore won't transfer weight to the hips. Gregory has a new one around 3lbs for 58L. They say their weight is split 80% to the hips. Even with an extra 1.5lbs of pack over an ultralight pack, I'd still rather carry 80% of my total weight on my hips, than 100% on my shoulders.

Just something to think about.

MuddyWaters
03-15-2017, 22:20
Thought about getting an ultralight pack... BUT, I got to thinking about it. Most don't have much of a frame and therefore won't transfer weight to the hips. Gregory has a new one around 3lbs for 58L. They say their weight is split 80% to the hips. Even with an extra 1.5lbs of pack over an ultralight pack, I'd still rather carry 80% of my total weight on my hips, than 100% on my shoulders.

Just something to think about.

My pack weighs 16.7 oz, and carries 100% wt on hips.

It wont do that with 30 lbs, but easily does at 20-25

CHILL_TX
03-16-2017, 14:37
I call BS. No way is there absolutely zero weight on your shoulders. For that to happen, your shoulder straps would not be touching your shoulders or chest in any way.

My pack weighs 16.7 oz, and carries 100% wt on hips.

It wont do that with 30 lbs, but easily does at 20-25

LongBlaze2019
03-16-2017, 14:54
I call BS. No way is there absolutely zero weight on your shoulders. For that to happen, your shoulder straps would not be touching your shoulders or chest in any way.
With my 4 pound high seirra tech 2 titan 55 I don't feel any weight at all on my shoulders. My hips carry 95% of the load most of the time.
Very very comfortable pack with 30 pounds or less.

nsherry61
03-16-2017, 20:31
Why call BS?

Most any pack I've ever carried that fits well and has any kind of decent frame can be set up to place 100% of the load, or nearly that, on my hips without difficulty. The point being, most packs carry best for most people with some weight on the shoulders, typically 20-30%. So, who cares if it transfers 100% or 90% to your hips, you probably only want 70 to 80% weight transfer anyway.

MuddyWaters
03-16-2017, 20:35

I 100% assure you I can pass a pencil under my shoulder straps most of the time If I want. That is what a hipbelt and frame do carrying UL loads.

touching chest doesnt put weight on shoulders.

If you cant adjust your pack to do this at least statically (things often drop and work way down when walking), your torso length is quite a bit too short or you wear your belt too low.

Above 25lbs, my pack does too, sags and starts to drop wt onto shoulders

glassman
03-18-2017, 00:26
4lbs 10oz is how much my 70l longtrail from ems is....I like it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CHILL_TX
03-18-2017, 19:33
I'll have to take your word for that. I can pass a pencil under the shoulders of my Gregory, but I still feel a bit of pressure on them from tie to time, and after 10+ miles in a day, I can feel that my shoulders have been carrying SOME weight, even if it's small.

I 100% assure you I can pass a pencil under my shoulder straps most of the time If I want. That is what a hipbelt and frame do carrying UL loads.

touching chest doesnt put weight on shoulders.

If you cant adjust your pack to do this at least statically (things often drop and work way down when walking), your torso length is quite a bit too short or you wear your belt too low.

Above 25lbs, my pack does too, sags and starts to drop wt onto shoulders

Deacon
03-19-2017, 11:38

The key to transferring weight to the hips with a frameless pack is to ensure your pack is sized properly for the amount of gear you are carrying.

As long as you've completely fill the pack tight, it will remain rigid on your back and act like a rigid frame.

Spencer828
04-03-2017, 11:07
Anybody have any experience with a Hyperlight Mountain Gear Windrider?

rashamon12
04-03-2017, 11:11
Something simple, light, comfortable, capacity depending on amount of gear, amount you are willing to spend, and depending on how you feel durability but its all about what works for YOU and doesnt matter what anyone else says.